Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Currently reading messiah and it was slow at first but it's picking up, a good read

Messiah was a pretty quick read for me and I enjoyed it.

I've been going through in order and am about 80 pages into Heretics. I didn't like it as much as the other books at first, but it's growing on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I remember reading a Dune thread here several years ago (can't remember if it was GBS or TBB) and everyone was all "Don't bother with God Emperor, it's just nonsense and isn't worth the investment.” I don't think it had a single defender at the time. It warms my bitter black heart to see things have changed, because God Emperor owns bones

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Communist Walrus posted:

I remember reading a Dune thread here several years ago (can't remember if it was GBS or TBB) and everyone was all "Don't bother with God Emperor, it's just nonsense and isn't worth the investment.” I don't think it had a single defender at the time. It warms my bitter black heart to see things have changed, because God Emperor owns bones

I first read it when I was 14 or 15 and knew it was somethin’, even if I didn’t quite understand it all yet. Love that book.

Chapterhouse, on the other hand... eh. I think it’s really just incomplete because of Herbert’s death.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I first read it when I was 14 or 15 and knew it was somethin’, even if I didn’t quite understand it all yet. Love that book.

Chapterhouse, on the other hand... eh. I think it’s really just incomplete because of Herbert’s death.

God Emperor is probably my favorite of the lot even though it’s just Herbert’s weird rantings disguised through the lens of a hideous omniscient manworm

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the first draft of god emperor was entirely first person leto II, and i'd kill to be able to read it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Murray Mantoinette posted:

God Emperor is probably my favorite of the lot even though it’s just Herbert’s weird rantings disguised through the lens of a hideous omniscient manworm

As a novel, it’s kind of weak. As a thought experiment, it’s fantastic. You’re not meant to agree with everything, or anything, Leto II says. Most of it is abhorrent. It’s not a book that tells you why, it’s a book that wants you to ask “Why not?”

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Communist Walrus posted:

GBS goes through edgelord cycles. Sounds like some real maroons were posting in that thread.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
My first experience with God Emperor was listening on audiobook while running and somehow it accidentally ended up on shuffle and played (from what I can tell) the first chapter, a chapter where he kills his Duncan, and the last chapter. Because of the narrative structure, nothing was particularly jarring or indicated that I was skipping whole chapters until a voice thanked me for listening to the audiobook and that it was over. I always heard about how God Emperor is so weird to people but none of it seemed very strange to me after that experience.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bump
I am rewatching blade runner 2049 and the VISUALS and the WORLD BUILDING make me excited for the N E W D U N E M O V I E

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

That's what's good about it. It's the bizarre outcome of the events of the previous book and it's such a far echo into the future of the first three, and is so completely warped from them, that it becomes fascinatingly weird.

Also the Billy and Mandy homage to it where Billy is God Emperor Mandy's Duncan Idaho is fuckin' great.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I thought the whole point was that the universe became less boring and predictable? That was his intention for humanity at large.

The Old Imperium where the stories are set seem a bit boring, almost like they returned to an older age despite some important advances in technology.

But I always understood part of the point to be that the boring old imperium, that hasn’t changed much, was just some bubble of stability and about to get its poo poo kicked in by the Honored Matres and the Scattering Tleilaxu and all other groups out there and it was adapt and evolve or die.

Maybe I misinterpreted/forgot Leto's intentions but IMO old setting was much more fun. There were rival houses, consiracies, various centers of power such as the landsraad and what will the guild think, and what are the bene gesserit plotting etc. By the God-Emperor all if it is gone or irrelevant but at least Leto is interesting enough to make up for it. With him gone there is just Leto's uniformity and Bene Gesserit who are boring and scared shitless of doing anything interesting (accidentally having another messiah).

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sekenr posted:

Maybe I misinterpreted/forgot Leto's intentions but IMO old setting was much more fun. There were rival houses, consiracies, various centers of power such as the landsraad and what will the guild think, and what are the bene gesserit plotting etc. By the God-Emperor all if it is gone or irrelevant but at least Leto is interesting enough to make up for it. With him gone there is just Leto's uniformity and Bene Gesserit who are boring and scared shitless of doing anything interesting (accidentally having another messiah).

You're off. Leto's golden path was about subjecting mankind to an awful pressure cooker that had nowhere to go but outwards in all directions away from the old imperium. the total collapse of society more or less completely changed the imperium, and flung humanity out into the stars in such broad and strange directions, with ixian no-ships that don't need navigators to fold space, and can't be traced by precience, there is nothing that can ever wipe out humanity.

Mankind was stagnant. Yes there was dramatic intrigue that could write so many different stories in the imperium of Duke Leto I or paul atreides, but it was stagnant. The guild's monopoly on space travel essentially created a centralized imperium.

Imagine you live in a fictional city, and it's huge but you can only travel to places connected to the city subway, the only practical, safe way to travel throughout the city. This was the imperium on a galactic scale. trillions of lives, all connected, and in such a way that something like a machine mind or anything malevolent and able to exploit precience could use it to wipe out or destroy humanity.

Leto wanted to make sure that humanity not only could, but wanted and needed to leave the imperium, and that future generations would be increasingly more immune to the powers that paul and leto possessed

He saw the horrors his father was ultimately responsible, sighed, and set out to one-up him to make sure that nobody else could follow in their footsteps.

So, by the time of Heretics, even though the old imperium is still there, and the bene gesserit, ixians, and tleilaxu still exist, there is a completely new order, balanced between the new power brokers. There is no imperial court per-se, there are more modern spheres of influence. The bene gesserit, ixians, tleilaxu, and even the worm cult on arrakis are vying for power within the remains of the old imperium, when the honored matres and scattering tleilaxu return and start loving poo poo up, demonstrating leto's point that the imperium was vulnerable and stagnant.

Honestly the intrigue and plotting of Heretics is way more intense and crazy than anything Herbert pulled off in Dune thru to God Emperor. Those are exellent books, but Heretics is about the old imperium sort of becoming a new wild west

i have never read chapterhouse because heretics' weird poo poo about women grooming and trying to gently caress a teenage duncan idaho keep making me stop the audiobook

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Sekenr posted:

That was one of the fun overarching themes of Heretics and Chapterhouse, I thought. The old Imperium was full of political rivalry and conspiracy. So imagine you’re The Bene Gesserit, who have been some subtle behinds-the-scenes powerbrokers for millenia, with all their abilities devoted to spycraft and intrigue and interrogation and then all of a sudden the Honored Matres come in and are like “subtlety? What’s that oh by the way we’re melting the surface of several of your planets” and you’re thrust into an active warfare role all of a sudden.

The fun philosophical parts of the last two books to me were the BG organization and its individuals wrestling with how to do this, and how to survive in a suddenly completely chaotic universe, while still maintaining as much of their old grace and fluidity as they can.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

^^^^
Well, sure I get all that on some level but don't try to tell me that Heretics and Chapterhouse are good books :D

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Sekenr posted:

^^^^
Well, sure I get all that on some level but don't try to tell me that Heretics and Chapterhouse are good books :D

They’re not good gently caress you they’re great :greenangel:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
first three are great, next three are uneven, from pretty good to pretty bad and the rest is utter shite

if i had to recommend dune to someone, i'd say stop after the first three.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

heretics and chapterhouse fall short of the heighs of Dune and God Emperor but they're actually alright books if you can get past herbert's weird sex poo poo. which is difficult. but characters like Odrade and miles teg are legitimately interesting

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

basic hitler posted:

heretics and chapterhouse fall short of the heighs of Dune and God Emperor but they're actually alright books if you can get past herbert's weird sex poo poo. which is difficult. but characters like Odrade and miles teg are legitimately interesting

i like the plot, i don't like the prose. thewhole plot of the 3 books should have been condensed into a 50-page epilogue for children of dune, like the epilogue in return of the king. e.g. everything goes to poo poo, leto II becomes a tyrant and religious fanaticism is bad, ya'll

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Apparently The Man Who Killed Don Quixote is actually coming out this year, so I want my animated Jodorowsky's Dune now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I was just thinking about how badly the prequel books hosed up even the concept of the butlerian jihad. I had always read it as humanity overthrowing the stagnation that robot servants had created. Then Herbert’s idiot son decides that nah, that doesn’t have enough shooting and terminators. Ugh.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I was just thinking about how badly the prequel books hosed up even the concept of the butlerian jihad. I had always read it as humanity overthrowing the stagnation that robot servants had created. Then Herbert’s idiot son decides that nah, that doesn’t have enough shooting and terminators. Ugh.

Kevin J Anderson never saw a thing that he couldn't poorly imitate. That Brian Herbert chose him of all people to work with really shows you what level his writing is.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Remember when they turned folding space into a Star Wars hyperdrive

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

Remember when they turned folding space into a Star Wars hyperdrive

Invented by a super genius midget.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Really though? I think the shooting and terminators are a depressingly much more realistic vision of what's to come.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Really though? I think the shooting and terminators are a depressingly much more realistic vision of what's to come.

As opposed to having every part of your life plotted and predicted by incomprehensibly advanced predictive algorithms?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

What does your heart tell you, when looking at the entirety of human history.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

As opposed to having every part of your life plotted and predicted by incomprehensibly advanced predictive algorithms?

Yeah but it's not weird space-catholics who are doing the prediction.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nah that's loving trite

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

this is weird given that the butlerian jihad feels like Herbert himself was prescient given the arguments that could be made about social media affecting people and so on

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

What does your heart tell you, when looking at the entirety of human history.

You don't follow the news then, I take it.

Besides all that, Kevin J. Anderson wrote it in the most predictable and uncreative way, it's like hearing a ten-year-old tell you about his original character who isn't just Master Chief.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I guess I've watched the Terminator movies a little too often then.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also after thinking about it some more it's partly that I liked didn't hate the Butlerian Jihad books and for some boneheaded reason feel like I want to defend them. I had heard all the hate people have for them on the internet but the premise still intrigued me, so when I found them used for cheap I got them and liked them more than I thought I would.

The characters can be flat and the philosophy and themes, to say the least, are mere wisps in Frank's shadow. But I still appreciate what KJA was trying to do. He brought a few things to the table that surprised me, like the inversion of Harkonnen and Atreides and the third faction of cyborgs. So it's a matter of expecting them to be total crap and they pleasantly surprised me by being only mostly crap.

I haven't read the proper Dune books in a while but I also think the stultifying omniscient AI you're talking about is kind of reading current trends back into the scanty details hinted at in Frank's books, but I'm willing to be proven wrong on that point.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
The Butlerian Jihad was a reaction against thinking like a machine as much as it was against thinking machines

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

gently caress kja/brian herbert

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I haven't read the proper Dune books in a while but I also think the stultifying omniscient AI you're talking about is kind of reading current trends back into the scanty details hinted at in Frank's books, but I'm willing to be proven wrong on that point.

From God-Emperor:

quote:

"The target of the Jihad was a machine-attitude as much as the machines," Leto said. "Humans had set those machines to usurp our sense of beauty, our necessary selfdom out of which we make living judgments."

Especially coming from Leto, whose Golden Path was largely about destroying the power of prescience and its hold over humanity, I don't think he was intending to present machines as killer robots who enslave humans just like in the movies Kevin J Anderson stole his ideas from. Reducing the question of the conflict down to "machines tried to kill humans so we dont have machines" loses any sort of interesting questions or nuance raised by the Jihad and makes it a simple matter of winning an existential conflict and then destroying the aggressor.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

The Butlerian Jihad was a reaction against thinking like a machine as much as it was against thinking machines

Having the Jihad be a philosophical movement is boring as poo poo bro. It's way cooler when it's a fight to the death against Lord Cybertrex-8000. It's even cooler when Lord Cybertrex-8000 gets shoehorned into the sequel novels and one of the setting's most notable and defining features gets tossed by the wayside because the authors are hack frauds

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Communist Walrus posted:

It's even cooler when Lord Cybertrex-8000 gets shoehorned into the sequel novels and one of the setting's most notable and defining features gets tossed by the wayside because the authors are hack frauds

This part is strongly implied in Chapterhouse, isn't it? Someone gets a sense of the future that Leto was trying to make humanity capable of escaping, and it's definitely robots (or at least robotic and materialistic culture) seeking and destroying them.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

paul_soccer10 posted:

Bump
I am rewatching blade runner 2049 and the VISUALS and the WORLD BUILDING make me excited for the N E W D U N E M O V I E

yes. i'm not as high on dune as everyone else (i consider it a solid book and recognise its influence but don't view it as a peak of the sci-fi mountain range), but denis villeneuve managed to impress me so much with the aesthetics of 2049 and i think the imagery in dune is excellent grist for his direction that i moved from lukewarm on the movie to extremely eager to see it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Let that Terrence Malick fella have a go at it, that I would pay to see.

Tell him it has voiceovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Doc Hawkins posted:

This part is strongly implied in Chapterhouse, isn't it? Someone gets a sense of the future that Leto was trying to make humanity capable of escaping, and it's definitely robots (or at least robotic and materialistic culture) seeking and destroying them.

It's implied that the Honored Matres were chased back into the Old Empire by some kind of super advanced outside force. It's Brian Herbert and KJA that decided it was Lord Cybertrex-8000 who was BACK FOR REVENGE.