Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
There is rubber where rubber shouldn't be, so stuff moves. My only guess is it's because the shifter mount holes are plastic so the stock ones keep things from cracking? Hopefully won't be an issue for me, but the bolts eat up torque as long as you'll give it so I went for "snug" then stopped.

I also did the cable bracket bushings up by the shifter arm back when I swapped for a short shift arm, since I was in there anyway. It all contributes to the tightness of the shifting. I haven't done the rear motor mount yet. That's next and I hear it helps even more still.

I always had a beef with 1st to 2nd. It always seemed to bounce a bit and all of that has stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

The Ferret King posted:

I always had a beef with 1st to 2nd. It always seemed to bounce a bit and all of that has stopped.

Wow, this could very well be exactly what I don’t like about the 1-2 shift on my FiST and would love to eliminate. When you say it bounces, you mean is feels notchy and there is a bit of a clunky noise from the shifter as it bounces?

I just assumed that removing all of the rubber from the system might not be good for the gearbox longevity due to removing any shock absorption from the system. This is giving me serious food for thought because that 1-2 shift and the resulting feeling of the gearbox not being fully up to the job is the one thing I don’t like about this car.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I didn't notice noise before. It's more like a springy sponge that gave me a little feedback before it slotted in, and sometimes it would make me miss a shift. Then, each subsequent shift was fairly crisp by comparison.

Now, it feels really well-fit for every shift. I was tilting the stick with two fingers and still shifting easily on my drive just now.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Hey there, hot hatch thread.

Look at this cool little car with a BUTT UGLY HOOD that's being replaced soon. Cool little car that finally runs!

I drove this car from Ohio to LA ~10 years ago, but haven't driven it since. Bought it from my friend ~5 months ago for practically nothing and it's sat while I got around to pulling out assloads of lovely stereo/amp/viper alarm wiring and diagnosing no fuel pressure. Put in the correct SVT pump and it finally runs. Otherwise it has a brand new clutch and timing belt, and only 80k on it. It also lived in florida and Louisiana and has never seen salt once.

It's so great. I had completely forgotten how much fun it was. It's getting some new tires, a factory hood (hopefully black so I don't have to deal with painting it), and then maybe I'll have a PDR guy try and pop out some of the weird dents in it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Those are criminally underrated cars. Have fun with it!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Got my new wheels in today. Pretty stoked about them! Also decided on the Indy 500s, just couldn't justify paying 2x for the PS4S. Going to bank the money for a Remus TBE system instead! :cool:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Etrips posted:

Got my new wheels in today. Pretty stoked about them! Also decided on the Indy 500s, just couldn't justify paying 2x for the PS4S. Going to bank the money for a Remus TBE system instead! :cool:

Those are exquisite.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I saw a Focus ST just rip rear end at autocross yesterday. Three wheelin' every corner like it was nothing. I am definitely impressed.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Etrips posted:

wish i had waited to buy wheels, these look better than my konigs

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

I saw a Focus ST just rip rear end at autocross yesterday. Three wheelin' every corner like it was nothing. I am definitely impressed.

How often are you impressed by people ripping rear end?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

KillHour posted:

How often are you impressed by people ripping rear end?

I mean I haven't met 14" in person yet

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BraveUlysses posted:

wish i had waited to buy wheels, these look better than my konigs

Yeah, as soon as I saw these wheels go on sale it was an immediate buy. Though, I did think they were a brighter bronze color. Maybe it is because of my terrible lighting inside the house.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Etrips posted:

What are those wheels?

Also, the new tyres got a good workout on the weekend, the highlight being this very fun piece of road:

I am very pleased with the new tyres.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

What are those wheels?

Whoops, Konig Ampliforms.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Etrips posted:

Whoops, Konig Ampliforms.

Very nice!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Here4DaGangBang posted:

What are those wheels?

Also, the new tyres got a good workout on the weekend, the highlight being this very fun piece of road:

I am very pleased with the new tyres.

One of the things I hate about living in the Houston area is we don't have any roads like that. The only fun thing around is the "Anderson Loop" from Montgomery to Anderson and back, through a national forest. I drove it once when I had my Z4M and it was alright but still a lot of long straight sections.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
And more often than not you get stuck behind someone doing 10-20 under through the forest anyways.

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, that poo poo always happens. Gotta come in with financing and realistic numbers lined up, then be willing to take a poo poo in the lobby to get the car... or be willing to walk and find another dealer. Or deal with the internet sales rep only, but good luck with that.

If you come in without financing and not having done the math, well, prepare the anus. Dipshits at a local Honda dealer tried to sell me a used Fit for over MSRP of a new one, so I bought a used Fiesta ST.

One gave me the awesome switcheroo where once I give them my discounts the internet "sale" price immediately increased by 2 grand so everything evened back out to square 1 :v:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 12, 2018

Confidently Queer
Apr 14, 2003

i am the luckiest shitheap in fyad.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Wow, this could very well be exactly what I don’t like about the 1-2 shift on my FiST and would love to eliminate. When you say it bounces, you mean is feels notchy and there is a bit of a clunky noise from the shifter as it bounces?

I just assumed that removing all of the rubber from the system might not be good for the gearbox longevity due to removing any shock absorption from the system. This is giving me serious food for thought because that 1-2 shift and the resulting feeling of the gearbox not being fully up to the job is the one thing I don’t like about this car.

I have a focus st and noticed the 1-2 bounce. Curiously, when I turn off traction control it goes away

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
New wheels are on point. Glad I went with the bronze instead of the graphite.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Latest autocross went well with the addition of a LSD. Got top 1/3rd pax and 10th out of 62 raw. I'm running SMF but can run FSP and move up to 10th pax. SMF allows for slicks, removing a/c, dash, wide body kit, engine swap/builds none of which I have. So probably could move top 5 with just hoosiers at this point and next year with stuffed turbo would help. I'm .050 behind a focus st with 100whp more and slicks right now who was running an e85 tune.

http://okscca.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/2018-04-08_Event-2_Complete-Results.pdf

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Confidently Queer posted:

I have a focus st and noticed the 1-2 bounce. Curiously, when I turn off traction control it goes away

That’s weird. Just Sport mode or fully off?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Christobevii3 posted:

Latest autocross went well with the addition of a LSD. Got top 1/3rd pax and 10th out of 62 raw. I'm running SMF but can run FSP and move up to 10th pax. SMF allows for slicks, removing a/c, dash, wide body kit, engine swap/builds none of which I have. So probably could move top 5 with just hoosiers at this point and next year with stuffed turbo would help. I'm .050 behind a focus st with 100whp more and slicks right now who was running an e85 tune.

http://okscca.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/2018-04-08_Event-2_Complete-Results.pdf

Nice work!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Here4DaGangBang posted:

That’s weird. Just Sport mode or fully off?

Yeah I'm curious too. I can't see why it'd make a difference. I always forget to push that button anyway.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Etrips posted:

New wheels are on point. Glad I went with the bronze instead of the graphite.

Nice!

Would love to change my wheels out but every time I look my wallet cries

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Gosh I am just addicted to hearing that go-kart turbo in my fiesta spool. Regardless as to where I am, if I hit a stop light and I have room I'm hammering every gear up to ~3.5k just to hear that sweet sweet whine.

What's everyone else's favorite auditory bit of their grocerymobile?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah I'm curious too. I can't see why it'd make a difference. I always forget to push that button anyway.

It’s got to be coincidence. I habitually put it in sport mode these days as it gets more power down without the nanny kicking in any time you break traction a little. Not that that’s happening with these new tyres...

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Gosh I am just addicted to hearing that go-kart turbo in my fiesta spool. Regardless as to where I am, if I hit a stop light and I have room I'm hammering every gear up to ~3.5k just to hear that sweet sweet whine.

I don’t really find I can hear much turbo spool noise and I wish I could hear more. Best case scenario is windows down with a wall or something along the driver’s side of the car. Deleted the symposer so what noise there is isn’t being drowned out by that, but there really isn’t much to speak of. I’m hoping that eventually a bigger intercooler and changing all of the piping will give more turbo noise.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 14, 2018

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Gear whine and turbo spool are the best noises.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I never hear much turbo whine out of my Speed so I gotta say the Curly Stooge "woob woob woob woob woob" when I shift back into first

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
After I put a reusable air filter in, I get all kinds of cool whoosh noises when accelerating.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
KDM startup sounds like air brakes going on and off rapidly

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

After I put a reusable air filter in, I get all kinds of cool whoosh noises when accelerating.

I’m probably going to stick with a Mountune air box or something like that because I do not like the sucking whooshing noise which tends to come with exposed pod filters. I just want turbo whine and any flutter compressor surge noises which may happen to occur. Not that I’m going to get that much of that either because I’ll be putting a GFB DV+ which retains the ECU-controlled solenoid for venting, though it doesn’t dump as much air so maybe there will be a touch of flutter. Not baking on it, though.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 14, 2018

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Don't know if this is different, but the one I bought fits the factory air box and lid.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

Don't know if this is different, but the one I bought fits the factory air box and lid.

Yeah, that’s different. Should give a little more noise but not open pod filter levels. It’s basically what the Mountune set up is, though that also comes with a redesigned air box.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God
If you combine an opened ended filter + taking the top of the air box off you get some good noise. I run it like that with the sound-symposer hose pulled and it sounds pretty good. Might suck in a little warm air but doesn't seem to really affect anything.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I really like having the front LSD on the RS. Was at Lime Rock yesterday and I could just hammer down without pushing at all. Not that the RS pushed much in the first place but I felt a good difference.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Wow, it really can't be overstated how much better a Golf R on winter tires is in the snow than a Mustang with winter tires :v:

Driving in bad conditions is still a bit difficult just because of visibility and traction for stopping, but it's so much easier than it was. A few inches extra clearance makes a huge difference, as does AWD.

EDIT: Also it's convinced me that self-driving vehicles can't be a thing in wintery shitholes like this. It just went "no front sensor data :shrug:" due to the mountain of goddamn slush that was thrown at the front of my poor, dear car, and that doesn't seem like an ideal circumstance when you're relying on the sensors to drive the car.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 16, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PT6A posted:

EDIT: Also it's convinced me that self-driving vehicles can't be a thing in wintery shitholes like this. It just went "no front sensor data :shrug:" due to the mountain of goddamn slush that was thrown at the front of my poor, dear car, and that doesn't seem like an ideal circumstance when you're relying on the sensors to drive the car.

Not to mention lane location. It's amazing how quickly a stretch of highway with three lanes per direction can become two meandering pairs of tire tracks when there's enough snow on the ground that you only get intermittent vague glimpses of the markings. I don't believe there's an automatic driving system on the market that wouldn't entirely poo poo itself when confronted with the sorts of conditions that occur regularly in the "snow belt" around here.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

wolrah posted:

Not to mention lane location. It's amazing how quickly a stretch of highway with three lanes per direction can become two meandering pairs of tire tracks when there's enough snow on the ground that you only get intermittent vague glimpses of the markings. I don't believe there's an automatic driving system on the market that wouldn't entirely poo poo itself when confronted with the sorts of conditions that occur regularly in the "snow belt" around here.

Yeah, that was also a bit vague to say the least. It was just slush, and it was getting thrown everywhere (including across the median wall at times), so there weren't even any particularly well-defined tire tracks to follow. Basically just watch the wing mirrors and make sure cars on either side aren't too close.

It was an extremely heinous drive by any reasonable standard, and I am absolutely thrilled with how the R handled it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

wolrah posted:

They all lose their poo poo. Underground is also a big issue. The tech will get there eventually but it’s a number of years away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Man, I'm so ready for my lease to be up. 13 months to go. The GTI is a good car, but it's boring as poo poo as it doesn't really have any character. Everything on it's pretty good, but nothing really exceptional, and nothing to really complain about either. Maybe its just my AI ADD but I can't wait to get something else.