Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Grand Rapids is nice in the summer but a frozen hellhole for the other nine months. It truly sucked being expected to be at work on time every day even when the roads were covered in two inches of ice from November-March and it snowed inches or feet basically every day half the year.

First post on the UNIVAC 1108 discussion page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

With only 3 months notice of me starting with a client on Monday, the giant corp I’m working through got their poo poo together with the paperwork at 16:43 on Friday.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Bigass Moth posted:

Grand Rapids is nice in the summer but a frozen hellhole for the other nine months. It truly sucked being expected to be at work on time every day even when the roads were covered in two inches of ice from November-March and it snowed inches or feet basically every day half the year.

While extra travel time is expected for those 9 months, I'm super happy my job isn't crazy strict about when I show up as long as I get my work done. Granted, my job is specific to printers, so maybe that's karma.

I type this as I sit in a tire shop watching an ice storm approach in the middle of April.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Humphreys posted:

Not pissing me off! Cash income outside of work!

I guess years of sitting on console modding forums and having a good soldering ability means $$$ .Local youngsters/hipsters on FB wanting their 'retro' consoles modded means easy money. Got $100 for soldering Composite sockets to a Sega Master System and $50 to put FMCB on a PS2 Memory Card. I didn't set prices, just "hey mate, pay what you think its worth + parts if applicable".

A friend of mine is a systems analyst but makes decent money on the side by fixing up and reselling light bars (as in the bars that sit on top of cop cars) that he sources locally and then ships out. He found a market for his hobby and took advantage of it.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

Talk FORTRAN to me

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Veeam replications that get to 99% and die on the vine forcing me to restart them.

customers wanting to shut down AWS devices over the weekend to 'save money' and then expecting reports that show 100% uptime.

goddamn

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

darth_pizza posted:

Veeam replications that get to 99% and die on the vine forcing me to restart them.

customers wanting to shut down AWS devices over the weekend to 'save money' and then expecting reports that show 100% uptime.

goddamn

Can’t you modify the reports to exclude weekends from the calculations if the requirement is only business hours or are these built in reports that can’t be modified? I had to do a bunch of that when building SLA reports because some were business hours only (which were different at each account), some 24x7, and some were it mattered how many people were impacted by outages or downtimes. This was in a terrible ticketing system though that didn’t support actually tracking that data.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Can’t you modify the reports to exclude weekends from the calculations if the requirement is only business hours or are these built in reports that can’t be modified? I had to do a bunch of that when building SLA reports because some were business hours only (which were different at each account), some 24x7, and some were it mattered how many people were impacted by outages or downtimes. This was in a terrible ticketing system though that didn’t support actually tracking that data.

there will still be gaps and our monitoring system reports gaps as 'downtime'

i'm working on it, but it'll be a real bitch on a bitch boat

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo not pissing me off:

A company I am contracting for gave the 4 people on the team I am on a paid day off AND I can take my family out to a restaurant of my choosing on the company dime.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ratbert90 posted:

poo poo not pissing me off:

A company I am contracting for gave the 4 people on the team I am on a paid day off AND I can take my family out to a restaurant of my choosing on the company dime.

So one of you got a picture of a C-level with a live hooker then?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You think a picture of a C-level with a live hooker would get them that treatment?

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 16, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samizdata posted:

You think a picture of a C-level with a live hooker would get them that treatment?

Dead hooker is a pay increase, or promotion, and bulletproof job security. A live hooker is a one-off where she gets the big payout and you get something to keep your mouth shut :pseudo:.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We presented a demo that we are going to show the California Energy Commission. There's a LOT of money on the line.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dead hooker is a pay increase, or promotion, and bulletproof job security. A live hooker is a one-off where she gets the big payout and you get something to keep your mouth shut :pseudo:.

You think a dead hooker would give a pay increase? Man, I need to find better CEO's. Usually, I just get a one time bonus for the dead hooker proof. :smith:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"Greetings,
The following is being stated:
My recommendation would be to set those fields on each line before submitting transaction:

The field ids are:
• Enable bar = 'custcol_bar_enable_foo'
• about 10 more fields

We have this as an enhancement so they don't have set this fields from code.

TICKET CLOSED"

1) Set the fields to what?
2) Why are you so eager to close the loving ticket without confirmation from me that the issue is resolved?
3) We don't have that custom field because we use foo_buzz and not foo_bar. Did you even look to see what product we are customers of before cutting and pasting a response from your off-shore development team responding to the ticket?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

neogeo0823 posted:

EDIT: I forgot which thread I was posting in. :yotj:-sorta for me. I snagged the department transfer away from The Overseer, over to Good Supervisor. I start in the new department on the 23rd. So that's good.
Congrats! I hope your stress level goes down a bunch.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Double post. Well, to add content: I was pissed off last week enough to start a squabble in a meeting. Our vendor gives us a quota of 100 custom reports. We were pretty much at our limit and my boss told me to get rid of my custom reports that I use frequently.

How many did I have? 3. How many did she have? Around 30 or 40. How many of the 100 total had we used in the past 6 months? Around 80. "Can't we remove some of the ones that we've literally never run?"

"No, we're going to need them someday so we'll leave them there."

I actually got angry enough about it that she asked for a private meeting, then she looked at the list of reports and decided yes indeed, we could immediately purge more than 15 of them. How about that? :mad: I hate getting angry at work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd yell at the vendor for having a ridiculously low number for reports you can have saved.

Let me guess, they want :homebrew: to increase the limit and there's no money for it?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

2) Why are you so eager to close the loving ticket without confirmation from me that the issue is resolved?

Perhaps the support engineer used to work for Samsung?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

xzzy posted:

I'd yell at the vendor for having a ridiculously low number for reports you can have saved.

Let me guess, they want :homebrew: to increase the limit and there's no money for it?

Our 'Enterprise Plan' includes unlimited reports. Call us for a quote!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Does anyone know of any good courses on Udemy.com or Lynda.com (or similar) that are basically

Virtualization 101 - There's a bazillion of these out there, I know...
VMWare 201 - The fundamentals of how to use VMWare, including how to perform basic tasks in their GUI
Hyper-V 201 - Ditto, just for Hyper-V

The company wants to have 10-20 of our tier 1 techs take a course along these lines. Virtualization has become big enough that their ignorance is hurting our ability to support our stuff. Too many simple things get escalated. And it pisses me off.

They don't need to be full virtualization admins. They really just need to know how to get around, and know some high-level do-this/don't-do-that stuff.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

xzzy posted:

Yup, you and bob morales are right. For 3 years they've been trying to sell a package of 500 reports. And for 3 years, at two different companies, I've told them "Hey look: you want to sell us something, and we'd like to give you some money, but we don't need 500 reports and you're basically forcing us to fumble around and become dissatisfied. It would be so drat easy for you to sell us 100 more reports at a reasonable cost, and we could all go home happy." They finally caved this month, after a bunch of other clients bitched about the same thing.

The funny thing is, I completely get them wanting to sell more reports to their gigantic clients. If someone like McDonald's or Yum Brands (Taco Bell/KFC) runs a report, it probably pulls a couple million rows at a go and uses up half their data center capacity. We're a comparatively tiny client with 20K users, and it's just asinine of them to pretend that the best business practice would be to squeeze us.

Did I mention that there's no console so I can't run any SQL of my own? (Probably not a terrible thing considering how broken their database gets, but still.)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

ConfusedUs posted:

Does anyone know of any good courses on Udemy.com or Lynda.com (or similar) that are basically

Virtualization 101 - There's a bazillion of these out there, I know...
VMWare 201 - The fundamentals of how to use VMWare, including how to perform basic tasks in their GUI
Hyper-V 201 - Ditto, just for Hyper-V

The company wants to have 10-20 of our tier 1 techs take a course along these lines. Virtualization has become big enough that their ignorance is hurting our ability to support our stuff. Too many simple things get escalated. And it pisses me off.

They don't need to be full virtualization admins. They really just need to know how to get around, and know some high-level do-this/don't-do-that stuff.

I'm in this boat, but for myself. I know just enough to be dangerous - I really should look into some basic intro courses so I'm more comfortable playing around at work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get that per seat / per core / per query / per whatever subscriptions are the only way for companies to make money and stay afloat in this day and age but gently caress what a scummy lovely world we've ended up in because of it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lmbo, I told my boss what the contracting company had done for us. She stared at me and said "That's nice" and walked off.

The company I am doing the 1099 work for is really REALLY trying to get me to W2, and if the relocation package is nice I think I am going to nab it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Macaroni posted:

Yup, you and bob morales are right. For 3 years they've been trying to sell a package of 500 reports. And for 3 years, at two different companies, I've told them "Hey look: you want to sell us something, and we'd like to give you some money, but we don't need 500 reports and you're basically forcing us to fumble around and become dissatisfied. It would be so drat easy for you to sell us 100 more reports at a reasonable cost, and we could all go home happy." They finally caved this month, after a bunch of other clients bitched about the same thing.

It was suggested that we buy the reporting package (part of our old accounting system) that cost $5,000. That was too much money.

So instead, the CFO's neighbor IS A COMPUTER GUY (actually he's a pretty decent guy and knows his stuff) and he created THE DASHBOARD. It lets you query the data from SYSTEM X using Microsoft Access. He charged us like $3,500 to do the first version. Saving money here!

The beauty of it being, any time a report needed to be fixed, changed in anyway, or a new one needed to be created, he charged hourly! They spend like $26,000 over 2 years having this guy do more reports. Not saving money any more!

So when I got hired in, I said why don't we have someone on staff change the reports? It's loving Access not rocket science. Or why not buy that loving reporting package that's NATIVE TO OUR SOFTWARE for $5,000?

"That's silly Bob! COMPUTER GUY does this for us and he's great!"

:shrug:

(we are saving like $75,000 a year now that we don't pay contractors to do dipshit tasks like make reports anymore)

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bob Morales posted:

The beauty of it being, any time a report needed to be fixed, changed in anyway, or a new one needed to be created, he charged hourly! They spend like $26,000 over 2 years having this guy do more reports. Not saving money any more!

I love-hate stories like this. Some middle manager who doesn't understand TCO makes one decision to save somea loving TRIVIAL amount of money, then over the medium/long term pays the real cost of that decision. But even when it becomes clear that they're wasting money, they don't fix it because the important thing isn't to manage costs or streamline the business, it's to justify their own prior decisions until the end of time. Even in the best case scenario, the original decision was right at the time but circumstances have changed.

I don't think I've ever seen a decision-maker reverse a decision like this without someone new joining the company at a high enough level to either override them, or convince someone who can that changing is the correct move. It's baffling to me; you'd think veterans at a company would have MORE clout, having greater knowledge of the business than someone new.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now imagine that being the environment at the highest levels of government and be amazed that humanity hasn't nuked this planet into a lifeless rock.

mewse
May 2, 2006

xzzy posted:

Now imagine that being the environment at the highest levels of government and be amazed that humanity hasn't nuked this planet into a lifeless rock.

*yet

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
I turned off two Windows 2003 servers today. Only 18 left :smithicide:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Things annoying me:

One of our two L1 techs (pickups, drop-offs, re-image used loaners) peace out mid-morning last Wednesday. He won't be replaced.
The new L2 tech has been back in Europe dealing with a family emergency for a month and we now officially don't think he's coming back.

Things that very much don't piss me off:

Those two had the two seats to my right. Friday we got permission for me to move over one seat to the right. This means my buddy on my left no longer has to move his knee when I need something out of my filing cabinet. We were honestly cheek to jowl in there. Sitting squarely in front of our desks, I could have held hands with R on the left and D on the right. I am expected to replace login boards in laptops in this space. Now R and I have double the room and can actually do work.

Also not pissing me off, the easiest three-ticket day ever.
1. Laptop with clock running slow. It's 25 screws to get at the RT battery in an Elitebook, but it's tedious not annoying.
2. MacBook Pro that won't click the trackpad anymore. An SMC reset advised over email cleared it.
3. And a piece of extra info turned "unknown printer with a paper jam" into someone else problem entirely.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I was informed Friday afternoon that I'd be working late today and tomorrow on a special project with Angry Boss. I was also told Angry Boss reacted to hearing he'd be working with me very poorly. I braced myself over the weekend and wasn't surprised when I walked into the place to Angry Boss giving it to Laid Back Boss with both barrels.

Then laid Back Boss left for the day and Angry Boss got extremely friendly, solicitous and helpful. We got a whole lot done on the project and he went out of his way to tell me what a good job I'd done. I think he might be bipolar.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have a TV in the reception area that plays images from a USB stick in a loop. Company news, visitor greetings, random poo poo. Basically it's a powerpoint exported to a pile of JPG images.

The problem is the USB stick. It's this little cocksucker

What's wrong with it you say? Well, for one it's a a thin connector so you can stick it in either way, and it fits, but only works one way. Also, it has a little button on the side that if you even look at it, it unlocks the connector and it slides back into the case.

The old ladies that sit at the front desk can't stick this fucker in the TV to save their lives. I'm going to throw it in the trash and buy them an easier to use one.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Aunt Beth posted:

I turned off two Windows 2003 servers today. Only 18 left :smithicide:

code:
PS D:\Scripting> ([System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher]"(&(&(sAMAccountType=805306369)(objectCategory=computer)(operatingSystem=Windows\20Server\202003*)))").FindAll().Count
PS D:\Scripting>
Soon.*

*End of the year maybe? :smithicide:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

devmd01 posted:

code:
PS D:\Scripting> ([System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher]"(&(&(sAMAccountType=805306369)(objectCategory=computer)(operatingSystem=Windows\20Server\202003*)))").FindAll().Count
PS D:\Scripting>
Soon.*

*End of the year maybe? :smithicide:

7! :woop:

One of those is the file server though so I doubt it's going anywhere for quite a while. :sigh:

poo poo kinda pissing me off:

Boss wants to start replacing 5 PCs\month as a refresh. We have 0 in the way of static imaging so PCs are done by hand. It wouldn't be a big deal but occasionally, the local account doesn't get set up right and when stuff falls off the domain...

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

We have a TV in the reception area that plays images from a USB stick in a loop. Company news, visitor greetings, random poo poo. Basically it's a powerpoint exported to a pile of JPG images.

The problem is the USB stick. It's this little cocksucker

What's wrong with it you say? Well, for one it's a a thin connector so you can stick it in either way, and it fits, but only works one way. Also, it has a little button on the side that if you even look at it, it unlocks the connector and it slides back into the case.

The old ladies that sit at the front desk can't stick this fucker in the TV to save their lives. I'm going to throw it in the trash and buy them an easier to use one.

Why on earth hasn’t this already been done?

Why isn’t it a networked TV over IP service instead?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
A: Effort
B: Money

Or if it is a really cheap company, A = B

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Irritated Goat posted:

Boss wants to start replacing 5 PCs\month as a refresh. We have 0 in the way of static imaging so PCs are done by hand. It wouldn't be a big deal but occasionally, the local account doesn't get set up right and when stuff falls off the domain...
Even if you don't have imaging, get as much configuration written into Group Policy as you can and let machines configure themselves!

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Aunt Beth posted:

Even if you don't have imaging, get as much configuration written into Group Policy as you can and let machines configure themselves!

Yeah, we've got a lot of it done that way but renaming\setting the password for the local admin user has been oddly flaky.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

Why isn’t it a networked TV over IP service instead?

This TV was the one that originally came in the owners kid's RV/camper. They upgraded. It doesn't have fancy features. And nobody wanted to spend a couple bucks on a Raspberry Pi or something so we could push fancy content to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

This TV was the one that originally came in the owners kid's RV/camper. They upgraded. It doesn't have fancy features. And nobody wanted to spend a couple bucks on a Raspberry Pi or something so we could push fancy content to it.

If they just want a slideshow, a thumbdrive is the best option anyway.