Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Potential first update for a Black Ops 1 LP. Not entirely sure whether I'm actually going to do a full LP like this or just drop it in favor of sitting on HAWX footage for another year Blood II or something, but I've put enough work into multiple possible update posts for it that I might as well let someone else look at one of them before I just bury it all.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I've never done an lp, so I'd be down for some criticism on the tech side to try and iron out any issues before I spend days of my life doing dumb poo poo.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=150775

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

really queer Christmas posted:

I've never done an lp, so I'd be down for some criticism on the tech side to try and iron out any issues before I spend days of my life doing dumb poo poo.

It looks like all the character portraits are stretched horizontally compared to the screenshots. It's probably worth changing them to be closer to how they are in-game.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

You have some squashed portraits.

Right is your portrait upscaled to the same width as the in-game one. Try to resize everything evenly.

(I also don't think you need the colons after the portraits. They're pretty unnecessary if you have portraits, and look rather ugly hovering after an image.)

The gifs look kind of grainy. Unless there's a specific reason not to, you'd be better off just making full-sized gifs; they'd probably look better, and the post would look neater with all images the same size.

Otherwise it looks pretty good.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

vilkacis posted:

You have some squashed portraits.

Right is your portrait upscaled to the same width as the in-game one. Try to resize everything evenly.

(I also don't think you need the colons after the portraits. They're pretty unnecessary if you have portraits, and look rather ugly hovering after an image.)

The gifs look kind of grainy. Unless there's a specific reason not to, you'd be better off just making full-sized gifs; they'd probably look better, and the post would look neater with all images the same size.

Otherwise it looks pretty good.

Yeah I knew the portraits would be an issue. I have all the sprites extracted, but they are each a different size, and so trying to downscale them mean different heights and/or weights for each persons portrait- which I thought wouldn’t look good.

Also, I didn’t even realize the gifs shrunk in conversion. Thanks for that tip!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I have all the sprites extracted, but they are each a different size, and so trying to downscale them mean different heights and/or weights for each persons portrait

Cropping is a better solution than stretching or squashing them to fit the space. Judging from the ones you have already, it's probably safe to just resize everything to the same width and then chop stuff off from the bottom until they're all the same height. Irfanview can do both for multiple files at a time, so it's pretty quick and easy if you already have the files.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Yeah I knew the portraits would be an issue. I have all the sprites extracted, but they are each a different size, and so trying to downscale them mean different heights and/or weights for each persons portrait- which I thought wouldn’t look good.

It's more important to keep the images at the correct aspect ratio than it is to have them all the same size. If size is really bugging you, crop the images instead of stretching/squeezing them.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Presumably you have an OP of some kind planned too?

Anyhow, as someone who spends perhaps more time than necessary trying to figure out how to make a screenshot LP look as good as possible, here's some stuff that caught my eye:

- .png's are smaller than .jpg's for some games but that isn't one of them, so consider using the latter.

- You probably ought to consistently have spaces between text and images (and between multiple images in a row) since it looks cleaner. Right now it's a bit all over the place.

- You're missing punctuation here and there in the dialogue.

- In addition to what was already mentioned your portraits are also a bit oversized, 75x75 or so tends to be the recommendation.

- There's no need to have separate portraits if the same character is speaking with the same expression, except maybe if it goes on for real long. As in this

quote:

Hah!
Okay wise guy, I've got a couple things to tell you. First of all, some good news.
Your tests have come back, and it turns out things are looking pretty good. In fact, I think it might be okay for you to walk around the halls a bit today.

should probably be like this:

quote:

Hah! Okay wise guy, I've got a couple things to tell you. First of all, some good news. Your tests have come back, and it turns out things are looking pretty good. In fact, I think it might be okay for you to walk around the halls a bit today.

Also this is more a matter of preference but I feel like parts like this

quote:

>There is a sign on the door... Read it?
: Yes
Storage Area 5B. Patients not allowed beyond this point.

could just be covered in your own commentary, like

quote:

There's a sign on the door which reads 'Storage Area 5B. Patients not allowed beyond this point'.

There's no need to slavishly copy every bit of mechanical text, it's not like the kid actually says "Yes." to the sign. Presumably.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

As this is more-or-less the main LP discussion thread, I'd like to ask for general consensus on CirclMastr's audience participation Hand of Fate 2 LP. Or I would, if there was anything beyond an announcement post to critique. They've been around long enough to know the ropes and I know you need participants if you're trying to run an LP of that sort, but there's nothing but an announcement and self-promoting links. It strikes me as close to the line.

Thoughts?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

It's mostly holdovers from the various Goons Don't Know Jack tournaments, which also obviously just started with an announcement, but if it's a problem I can just close the thread and cancel it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

CirclMastr posted:

It's mostly holdovers from the various Goons Don't Know Jack tournaments, which also obviously just started with an announcement, but if it's a problem I can just close the thread and cancel it.

The only problem is it's not Just Cause 3. :colbert:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Teledahn posted:

As this is more-or-less the main LP discussion thread, I'd like to ask for general consensus on CirclMastr's audience participation Hand of Fate 2 LP. Or I would, if there was anything beyond an announcement post to critique. They've been around long enough to know the ropes and I know you need participants if you're trying to run an LP of that sort, but there's nothing but an announcement and self-promoting links. It strikes me as close to the line.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure where else in the forums this would go, and it actively welcomes goon participation - so it's not strictly a "watch this, give me views" kind of thing. I'm cool with it being here.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I do a thing in this subforum that has zero relation to an LP. I'm not even playing a game, no one is. We're just watching AI characters based on ideas from posters battle it out in a wrestling show. No one's complained about that so I think circl is fine to do what they do.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IGgy IGsen posted:

I do a thing in this subforum that has zero relation to an LP. I'm not even playing a game, no one is. We're just watching AI characters based on ideas from posters battle it out in a wrestling show. No one's complained about that so I think circl is fine to do what they do.

LP is meant to be broad and experimental. Even if it doesn’t always work, as long as it is entertaining and people enjoy it then it served its purpose.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
lp is art

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It is by LP alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Tropicana that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by LP alone I set my Mario in motion.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
So I've been dipping my toes into the muddy waters of the Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 Collection and I'd like to get people's opinions before we get too far in:

edit: it's gone now

In particular, if anyone knows of a program with higher-quality audio chat than Discord (their video is fine), I'd like to know because I seem to be reaching the limits of what I can do with its output and I'm trying to get everything done without having to manage separate files for everything through Audacity. Thanks!

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 4, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Manage separate files through Audacity.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but there's only so much you can do with full audio chat recordings. Getting separate recordings for each commentator is common practice, and not even that hard to work with.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I have separate recordings, on separate tracks, with OBS's audio filters running on each. I'm asking if it's possible to get a better source live over the internet. Could you at least check out what I've got before telling me it's hopeless?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Level 1 Thief posted:

I have separate recordings, on separate tracks, with OBS's audio filters running on each. I'm asking if it's possible to get a better source live over the internet. Could you at least check out what I've got before telling me it's hopeless?

If everyone is recording locally, then you're not relying on audio over the internet. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

It's not local, no. The way I have it set up here is the game audio, my mic and the call all get recorded on separate audio tracks into OBS; the call runs into a virtual cable and I route it to OBS and my headphones from there. In OBS I then have filters set up onto each track to compress, reduce noise (only on mics), gate silence and then adjust it close to what I want the final volume to be. This saves time otherwise spent syncing and setting up and running filters in post, which adds up fast when dealing with hours of videos. Plus, OBS's noise reduction and gate are WAY better than Audacity's, which leaves tons of unwanted noises in that I'd have to spend more time manually removing. And Audacity's batch processing was designed by a crazy person and is borderline incomprehensible. At least for the local audio, so long as I don't accidentally clip, I can get it to sound just as good in one pass as it does taking the long way, without having to manage piles of extra files in the process.

With each track recorded separately, I can import it straight into Premiere and adjust volume or cut out small sections from any of them as needed, which takes seconds. If I need to do anything more complicated (like for this video, I ran the compression a little stricter on one track), I can still drop it in Audacity as needed and work from there.

Essentially, if I could get a lossless or nearly as good stream over a call with good enough latency, it would be functionally identical to having another microphone plugged into my computer. This is why I was asking if there are any ways to do that with better quality than Discord. It's theoretically possible to do it with VBAN, but the process would be so complicated it'd no longer be worth it.

I think what I've got here is perfectly listenable but it could certainly be better without throwing the whole thing out in the process. I know it wouldn't work if we added a third person, and that it's not the normal way people here have been doing it, but I hardly think the idea is so ludicrous as to not even be worth considering.

Also, to that one person who just hit the dislike button: not very constructive.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 16, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Have them make a local recording via audacity then if you want higher quality. I think discord audio is serviceable, but if you want it better it takes work.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Level 1 Thief posted:

Also, to that one person who just hit the dislike button: not very constructive.
There's dozens of us. Dozens.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

edit: you know what, never mind.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I have one guy who religiously dislikes every video I put up on YouTube ever since I banned him from commenting on them for spamming KYS's at me. I'm amused by his dedication :allears:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
As far as YT's recommendation algorithm goes I think dislikes have the same effect on your visibility as likes. So it's good to have people who hate you with such a passion that they dislike all your videos.

One time I had a guy who hated my voice so much that he disliked all the videos of the LP I was doing at the time. That was such a good time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

nine-gear crow posted:

I have one guy who religiously dislikes every video I put up on YouTube ever since I banned him from commenting on them for spamming KYS's at me. I'm amused by his dedication :allears:

you're welcome

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had a guy lose his poo poo at me because I mentioned that Canada helping refugees was both cool and good, and the dude went from nice comments to calling me an idiot for not being racist, to calling me a human being and saying he hopes I die from aids :shepface: He's not even the first or last person who's been shocked to learn I'm not a nazi/magachud and I have no idea why people would think I am in the first place. Honestly THAT'S more insulting than the slurs

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

All I've gotten so far is scattered comments on old videos commenting what happening or some stuff I mention in the commentary. Nothing really egregious.
I have three dislikes across 148 videos in total. v:shobon:v

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I too have been kind of lucky with dislikes. Only about a dozen across 260 videos, and half of them were in my Doki Doki series. I guess people disagreed with my opinion about their waifus. Been lucky with comments too, nothing too egregious, though there are some that were most definitely bots.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
We've been pretty good on dislikes as well. Barring one incident*, I don't think we've ever had more than one dislike on any videos in a series. Our third best video was "Top Ten Worst Zelda Games (so far)", based on our playthroughs of the "canon" Zelda games, and that one was, uh... well, controversial to say the least. But like others have mentioned, dislikes and likes both impact videos in the exact same (beneficial) way when it comes to SEO.

* Somebody apparently got really salty at us for something, and I could swear there was some brief throwdown on Twitter or something, and they went and disliked every single Switch video we produced for a month or two. Others on the team asked if I was planning to do anything to slow it down, and I basically said nope, since it helped our searchability and no one's going to avoid us over one dislike.

As far as comments, I think we've gotten exactly two comments (separated by three or four years) referring to us as Game Grumps knockoffs, which... hey, whatever, man. Oh darn, someone thinks we have a similar vibe to one of the most popular LP channels on YouTube, oh no. The negative comments outside that are equally pretty rare. Usually because of either A) someone eating too close to the mic (which drives me mental, and I keep having to police it when it happens), B) one of us missing something obvious in a game (welcome to LP channels), or C) one of us mis-remembering something and winding up completely bungling it by way of assuming something incorrectly. We kept loving up in Majora's Mask thanks to that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Nobody even watches my videos, checkmate goons :smuggo:

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nobody even watches my videos, checkmate goons :smuggo:

that's some next level poo poo right there

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Hey everybody, has anyone made a backup of the SWTOR Mega-LP updates? I looked up in the archive and they didn't archive any of the completed routes of the base game nor the expansion stories...

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Hey everyone. I'm working on a starting an SSLP of the hidden gem Siege of Avalon. It's been a while since I've done an LP though, so I want to make sure there aren't any glaring issues early on, especially considering the technical hoops I had to jump through to get the game and recording working at all. I'd appreciate if someone could look over what I have. Thanks!

OP: Edit- changed to make the embedded video into a link- https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=150870

First update: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=150863

Orbs fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 21, 2018

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

It is finally here! The much anticipated and long awaited sequel to the God of War series has finally come out! I have always been a fan of the God of War series and this one might be the best one yet. This series holds a special place in my heart as one of the two that I would call my favorite.

The Story
Many years have passed since Kratos took his vengeance against the Olympian gods. Having survived his final encounter with his father Zeus, Kratos now lives with his young son Atreus in the world of the Norse gods, a savage land inhabited by many ferocious monsters and warriors. In order to teach his son how to survive in such a world, Kratos must master the rage that has driven him for many years and embrace his newfound role as a father and mentor.

First Episode

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

I've never posted all that much in this section, preferring to just read already-finished LPs, but I've been toying with the idea of running a couple interactive LPs of a few early Adventure International text adventures, done in the same format as idonotlikepeas' LP of Colossal Cave Adventure. I can't really do a test post since the entire thing is going to be heavily interactive, but if I could get some useful advice or feedback on the concept, that'd be welcome - this doesn't seem to be a particularly common LP style, and text adventure LPs seem rare in general.

I'm also not entirely sure how detailed I should make the OP... I'll definitely link to idonotlikepeas' archived LP, since the easiest way for people to understand how this is going to work is to take a quick look at another LP done in the same style, but how much would it be frowned upon to let the majority of my description of the concept be "check out this other LP"?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
OP’s don’t have to be long and elaborate. Just include the information you think is necessary.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^
In fact, given how hard it is to get people to read the op at all, shorter is most likely better. If you have things to say, it's probably better to do it in the actual lp so people don't just skip over it like the op-skippers they are.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Maybe I went a bit overboard. Thoughts?

Then again, even if people skip the OP, the first real post is essentially saying "hey guys, should we go east or west or climb a tree or dig a hole or what?", so it's not like people are going to get lost.