Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The Institue, and the whole setup of 4 in general, was just a clusterfuck of incomplete ideas. But although I'm new to this thread, I suspect that argument's been rehashed a billion times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Don't worry rehashed arguments are all we have until this year's E3 and Bethesda gives us something to shitpost about

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Randaconda posted:

The good karma ending for OWB where you keep everybody alive is one of my favorite game endings. :yaycloud:

Same, I love the think tank. They've done such horrible things, but they're just so endearing, and as they are now they're not really threat to anyone as long as they're contained. In spite of everything I don't want to destroy them, I'd rather just help them find a bit of their lost humanity and then let them keep on going through their science loop.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Same, I love the think tank. They've done such horrible things, but they're just so endearing, and as they are now they're not really threat to anyone as long as they're contained. In spite of everything I don't want to destroy them, I'd rather just help them find a bit of their lost humanity and then let them keep on going through their science loop.

My thought was more or less "you know, what was already done to them is punishment enough. Poor old loonies have totally lost it. They'd have no idea what was going on if I told them to 'just like keep sciencing, I guess' and let them continue to completely fail to accomplish anything at all." In the state they're in when you meet them they just plain can't hurt anything.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

The think tank are fun, but my favorite part of the whole DLC is The Sink. It's a brilliant player base with a boatload of personality to boot.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The toaster is the superior sink appliance

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I still really like that Zero is just outright Rusty Venture, no attempt otherwise. Only difference being that he actually surpassed the target of his envy (in that he, despite being stuck in an endless recursion loop, helped invent an actual solution to mortality as well as true AI in Muggy, whereas House, despite having no mental impairments, is trapped in a crypt lording his old inventions over wastelanders).

He probably helped Mobius build the Sink personalities (since Mobius himself seems to be mechanical engineering-focused) too, and many of which either save Big MT or help the wasteland in their endings.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 16, 2018

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Randaconda posted:

The good karma ending for OWB where you keep everybody alive is one of my favorite game endings. :yaycloud:

:agreed:

I loved that all your upgraded friends in your house cheered when you came back - don't know if that happens if you decide to kill the Think Tank or Möbius

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

OWB was far and away my favourite dlc and probably my favourite fallout content that exists. i wish the institute was even a fraction as fun, but they don't even really have any cool experiments going on. they just have their weird synth poo poo. i can't remember a single institute character apart from the obvious one and then blade the boring synth companion.

i guess the BOS had the characters I liked the most, but maxson was a dickhead.

edit: the dlc should have added extra ending options. help the children of the atom or the nuka-world raider clans take over the commonwealth.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Neurolimal posted:

I still really like that Zero is just outright Rusty Venture, no attempt otherwise. Only difference being that he actually surpassed the target of his envy (in that he, despite being stuck in an endless recursion loop, helped invent an actual solution to mortality as well as true AI in Muggy, whereas House, despite having no mental impairments, is trapped in a crypt lording his old inventions over wastelanders).

He probably helped Mobius build the Sink personalities (since Mobius himself seems to be mechanical engineering-focused) too, and many of which either save Big MT or help the wasteland in their endings.

Fun fact: Dr. 0 was originally supposed to be an overly excited newscaster (and that still shows up in some of his dialogue, every so often he'll say "breaking news"), but after James Urbaniak was cast they decided to just go ahead and make him literally Dr. Venture.

I think we can all agree this was the right choice.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

frajaq posted:

Don't worry rehashed arguments are all we have until this year's E3 and Bethesda gives us something to shitpost about

the thread is basically NMA so yeah it is w/e

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i wish the institute was even a fraction as fun, but they don't even really have any cool experiments going on. they just have their weird synth poo poo.

They have a strong water canning industry!

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I want to do chief hanlon’s quest for my first ncr run but he only talks a little about rangers. What do i have to do?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wild Horses posted:

I want to do chief hanlon’s quest for my first ncr run but he only talks a little about rangers. What do i have to do?

IIRC you get it from someone else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pick up the quest Return to Sender from Reyes at forlorn hope

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Decided to restart my FNV save after doing the "Booted" quest, I kinda megamurdered enough legionnaires that I am getting random search parties ambushing me that are really loving powerful :(

(Besides, I realized that getting vilified by them so early means I can't learn about them on later, so)

ok, my early go was all about improvisation, now I want to do a bit more of planning. How about this for a char?

S: 6
P: 6
E: 7
C: 1
I: 9
A: 7
L: 5

Tags: Science, Energy Weapons, Speech (to mitigate Charisma being dumped)
Traits: Skilled, Small Frame (not sure if I should pick Good Natured instead)

Also, any suggestions for skill point allocations during level up? I am not sure between focusing in a couple of skills or taking it easy and spreading it around in order to also get perks and pass checks that might come up during early game. TIA :)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dead comedy forums posted:

Decided to restart my FNV save after doing the "Booted" quest, I kinda megamurdered enough legionnaires that I am getting random search parties ambushing me that are really loving powerful :(

(Besides, I realized that getting vilified by them so early means I can't learn about them on later, so)

ok, my early go was all about improvisation, now I want to do a bit more of planning. How about this for a char?

Also, any suggestions for skill point allocations during level up? I am not sure between focusing in a couple of skills or taking it easy and spreading it around in order to also get perks and pass checks that might come up during early game. TIA :)

Nah, they'll forgive you when you get to the Strip.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Randaconda posted:

Nah, they'll forgive you when you get to the Strip.

oh, good to know, not going to get rid of that save then

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh, good to know, not going to get rid of that save then

You can kill every Legion and NCR dude you pass, and you'll be alright once you get to the strip.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

If you have all the dlcs, then that str is way higher than would be optimal if you're planning to just shoot people (especially for energy weapons.) Also, every point of charisma gives +5% armor and damage to your companions, and they're all pretty great to have around.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Randaconda posted:

You can kill every Legion and NCR dude you pass, and you'll be alright once you get to the strip.

That's my method in my current Legion run, do every NCR quest for them (except a few ones) to maximize XP and then turn on them later in the name of Caesar :smugdog:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frajaq posted:

That's my method in my current Legion run, do every NCR quest for them (except a few ones) to maximize XP and then turn on them later in the name of Caesar :smugdog:

I never worry about xp, really, since with the DLCs there is so much available.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, I always used that mod that reduced XP gain because you'd cap out so fast

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Bless those Legion hunting parties. Idk if a throwing weapon run would be possible without them resupplying me constantly.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nasgate posted:

Bless those Legion hunting parties. Idk if a throwing weapon run would be possible without them resupplying me constantly.

I made so much money selling their gear, legion armor is worth a pretty penny. Those hunting parties are deadly at first, but once you're strong enough they're beloved cash cows walking right into your slaughter.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Randaconda posted:

This is why I pick Skilled every time. That 10% exp penalty is nothing compared to the extra 65 skill points you get, since there's so many quests to do and things to kill.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Against my better judgement I want to install fallout 4 again with the intent of bumrushing the main plot so I can then go about being a wasteland warlord without occasionally screaming about MAH BABY. I never bought nuka world has any of the dlc ever gone down in price? Also what's a good setup of mods to fix most of the issues? I recall fallout 4 really doesn't have much of a cohesive modding scene so there's not going to be many big unified armour or weapon or gameplay compilation packs compared to Vegas.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Against my better judgement I want to install fallout 4 again with the intent of bumrushing the main plot so I can then go about being a wasteland warlord without occasionally screaming about MAH BABY. I never bought nuka world has any of the dlc ever gone down in price? Also what's a good setup of mods to fix most of the issues? I recall fallout 4 really doesn't have much of a cohesive modding scene so there's not going to be many big unified armour or weapon or gameplay compilation packs compared to Vegas.

Elianora and the Armorsmith Extended guy do a pretty good job of collecting things up for Fallout 4.

If you're just looking for cleanup or "Mods I like that don't really unbalance anything" suggestions, grab Beantown Interiors, Combat Zone Restored, Fallout 4 Enhanced Color Correction, Full Dialogue Interface, Interiors Enhanced, Quieter Settlements (if you're going to bother with them), Vivid Fallout, Truestorms (maybe, it tends to rarely be clear after you install that, maybe vivid weathers instead?), Enhanced Blood Textures, Enhanced Lights and FX, maybe the cross crit gore-verhaul if you're into that sort of thing, faster terminal displays, reverb and ambiance overhaul, and the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch. Also a fan of see through scopes and towbie's realistic weapon sounds

That'll get things prettier, a little more atmospheric, remove some annoyances with the dialogue, add a few new places to explore, but leave it more or less untouched otherwise.

If you want to make your game creepy while you're at it slap in the Pilgrim ENB and weather mod, creepy monsters of wasteland, darker nights, immersive squeaky doors, and terrifyer.

e: Oh, and the most important mod of all: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5979

Azhais fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 16, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Azhais posted:

Elianora and the Armorsmith Extended guy do a pretty good job of collecting things up for Fallout 4.

If you're just looking for cleanup or "Mods I like that don't really unbalance anything" suggestions, grab Beantown Interiors, Combat Zone Restored, Fallout 4 Enhanced Color Correction, Full Dialogue Interface, Interiors Enhanced, Quieter Settlements (if you're going to bother with them), Vivid Fallout, Truestorms (maybe, it tends to rarely be clear after you install that, maybe vivid weathers instead?), Enhanced Blood Textures, Enhanced Lights and FX, maybe the cross crit gore-verhaul if you're into that sort of thing, faster terminal displays, and the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch

That'll get things prettier, a little more atmospheric, remove some annoyances with the dialogue, add a few new places to explore, but leave it more or less untouched otherwise.

If you want to make your game creepy while you're at it slap in the Pilgrim ENB and weather mod, creepy monsters of wasteland, darker nights, immersive squeaky doors, and terrifyer.

e: Oh, and the most important mod of all: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5979

That seems like a good list to start with. I figure I'll have to buy the rest of the DLC if I want to get the unofficial patch, right? Are there any mods that put a hard cap on enemy health to avoid late game bullet sponges and get things a bit closer to NV?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

That seems like a good list to start with. I figure I'll have to buy the rest of the DLC if I want to get the unofficial patch, right? Are there any mods that put a hard cap on enemy health to avoid late game bullet sponges and get things a bit closer to NV?

Pretty sure most of the overhaul type mods (including the patch) are going to require all the DLC.

As for the sponge thing I've never bothered installing one since it's never been concerning to me, but there is this:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14650

Lets you tweak all sorts of survival things, including incoming/outgoing damage modifiers, might be something in there.

e: I guess depending on how serious you are about it, you could install Horizon. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17374

But that's a massive overhaul, changes everything. Survival++, but does remove the bloated health pools in favor of everything pretty much killing everything exceedingly quickly. Combine that and pilgrim and you'll have yourself a real horror show :v:

Azhais fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 16, 2018

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

What do you think is the most useless skill in Fallout 1/2? Repair? Science? Traps?

Traps has to be up there.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zombie Squared posted:

What do you think is the most useless skill in Fallout 1/2? Repair? Science? Traps?

Traps is certainly up there, but it would let you get through the glow without bothering looking around for keycards, so that's something!

Repair (I think) is also really useful for getting through Mariposa

vvv Let's not pretend Doctor is all that useful either, it's not like you should have any shortage of stimpacks. I think the literal only time I've ever used Doctor is to fix the Cow in Modoc

Azhais fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 16, 2018

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Zombie Squared posted:

I forgot first aid. God, that is dire compared to doctor. I don't even know what the balancing thing was supposed to be.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Azhais posted:

vvv Let's not pretend Doctor is all that useful either, it's not like you should have any shortage of stimpacks. I think the literal only time I've ever used Doctor is to fix the Cow in Modoc

When did you remember using first aid though?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Zombie Squared posted:

In Fallout 1 it might be Outdoorsman; I have no clue if it does anything since the game isn't transparent about it compared to Fallout 2.

Also Gambling, where increasing it has no discernable effect on the minor part of the games it applies to.

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 17, 2018

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

I feel like having high outdoorsman at least gave you a chance at the random encounter to find that car with a boatload of caps in the trunk though. You could at least buy an automatic shotgun or an assualt rifle with the proceeds. That's more than science ever did in F01

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

I made so much money selling their gear, legion armor is worth a pretty penny. Those hunting parties are deadly at first, but once you're strong enough they're beloved cash cows walking right into your slaughter.

They're also a nice source of denarii for making coinshot so you can properly render unto Caesar.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8276

I think downloading this would make me not need any other weapon mods. Why not make all the guns EVERY gun?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leroy Dennui posted:

Also Gambling, where increasing it has no discernable effect on the minor part of the games it applies to.

Gambling is really hampered by also having a luck requirement. High luck + 100 gambling means you'll win the slot machines every single time in Fallout 2 for infinite cash. Good way to get some high end armor early if you're not inclined to just walk straight to Navarro and get the enclave power armor (and outdoorsman is useful for avoiding patrols if you do that :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8276

I think downloading this would make me not need any other weapon mods. Why not make all the guns EVERY gun?

quote:

NOTICE FOR 1.7

I've decided to remove the pipe machine gun. I will be working on redoing the mod completely in the upcoming months meaning redoing all the meshes etc. I've still got my SPAS-72 mod on my backlog but I'll try to work stimultaniously on both mods.
STAY TUNED.

WIP but last updated 9 months ago. I love it. At least the images are entertaining.