Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I have a feeling that the guys who have been working on CK2 have at least a rough idea of things that they would add or alter in a sequel.

Like UI scaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I feel the same way about EU4 as I do about Pathfinder and D&D 3.5e. The base game is good but then all these expansions get involved and each splatbook has one or two things for each class so in order to be really good (and everyone should try to be good) you need to pull one or two things each from a dozen different splatbooks. This cantrip from here, that spell from there, that bit of gear from over yonder, this class feature from that book, this feat here to let you proc this ability off that, then a dip in this class to get that feature and pull the whole thing together. So the whole thing requires a very deep systematic knowledge to stack a dozen different +10% modifiers from thirteen different sources and I just can not be hosed with that. It's like my friend was on about playing Prussia, simple on the face of it then I realize he's juggling a half-dozen different systems because each one gives him another little bit of discipline. gently caress that, I'll just go back to CK2 and [Plot to Kill] all my problems away.

EU4 needs 5th edition to make all those splatbooks obsolete, integrate the good features from 4e and 3.5/PF, streamline the whole thing and put a fresh coat of paint on it.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 17, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Red Bones posted:

Ck3 should have a fully 3D rendered castle hub world that I can walk around in; all the menus should be maps in a map room or dialogue trees with advisors and courtiers. You cannot leave the castle. Also it's VR.

This is literally my dream game from when I was in high school. I still kinda want to see it, even as I now recognize the issues with it.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
If you can't see how Professionalism (Mil Tradition) and Innovativeness (Tech system) are horrible ideas I don't know what to tell you. Imagine if that development time was used to actually improve and link the existing systems instead.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Professionalism at least does some interesting things, its balance is just not great for single player. Innovativeness though is just ???

Incidentally I think they should have different SP/MP balance. There are too many things that are apparently great for MP but bewilderingly useless for single player these days. Small ask I know.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

What are even the stats on the amount of people who play multiplayer? I couldn't imagine it's a huge amount of the thousands of hours people have pumped into the game?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What are even the stats on the amount of people who play multiplayer? I couldn't imagine it's a huge amount of the thousands of hours people have pumped into the game?

The devs play a decent amount of MP and as a result MP-focused features and changes get overrepresented, I think Johan has admitted as much.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

The Cheshire Cat posted:

To be honest even most of feudal Europe doesn't fit CK2's feudalism mechanics. They had to keep things relatively simple for the game to be playable - real life feudalism is why medieval maps are such a nightmare of border gore.

and that's not even getting into the argument of whether feudalism actually existed at all :chloe:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

cool new Metroid game posted:

and that's not even getting into the argument of whether feudalism actually existed at all :chloe:

Would you care to elaborate on that? Not calling you out or anything, I'm just curious to see if anyone's written a book on something like "The Middle Ages: Everything You Thought You Knew Is Actually Wrong". Sounds like something I'd want to read!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

DrSunshine posted:

Would you care to elaborate on that? Not calling you out or anything, I'm just curious to see if anyone's written a book on something like "The Middle Ages: Everything You Thought You Knew Is Actually Wrong". Sounds like something I'd want to read!

Fiefs and Vassals is almost exactly what you are asking for.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is this like that German guy who claimed that the Dark Ages were made up by the Catholic Church to make themselves look good and it’s actually only been 1500 years since the time of Christ, or is it more respectable?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

DrSunshine posted:

tbh I don't really know much about it myself so probably better asking someone else but from what I gather the past few decades there's been a big shift in historiography about the entire concept and how it was basically invented by 18th century early historians or something. there's a big old askhistorians reddit ama about it from a few years back that has a ton of info about the shift in thought https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/2bs0rc/ama_feudalism_didnt_exist_the_social_political/

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's been years since they said this but according to their metrics it was something shockingly high, like 1 MP game for every 2 SP games.

EDIT: oh thanks google: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-playerstats.757556/

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Sindai posted:

It's been years since they said this but according to their metrics it was something shockingly high, like 1 MP game for every 2 SP games.

EDIT: oh thanks google: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-playerstats.757556/

Disgusting.

e:And 'started/loaded in a day' means that depending on the occurrence of both save scumming and desyncing, it could be even closer to parity!

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 17, 2018

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What's up with the schedule for pdxcon? Like what specifically is going to be on the agenda?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

What's up with the schedule for pdxcon? Like what specifically is going to be on the agenda?
I'm pretty sure that by a month out from the con last year, we knew what mod teams would be present and at least some seminars and such. To be fair, I also recall a couple sessions being 'TBA' up until like an hour before they were supposed to begin.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Victoria is a better paradox game than most current paradox game because it was probably the last to use the old "expansion pack" mindset of addons rather than the modular DLC approach. Paradox's current DLC approach is much lauded and successful, but it results in these very disjointed systems that get bolted on with their own mana and bonuses and screen but don't feel fully integrated with the base game let alone previous and future DLC.

I think their DLC approach is good for a lot of things, but in the name of cohesive design I wish they weren't scared of having big proper expansion packs you need to get.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Having the modular dlc and one or two big expansions that tie them all together seems like it might be a decent compromise? I'd love to see the design docs for the latter to even attempt to pull that off, at least :v:

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

:stare: mother of god that must have taken forever to write.

I think I once estimated I spent roughly a man-year on EU3 to Vic2. Of course, lots of effort went into working around some of my design mistakes, and later rewriting the converter to remove those mistakes (and put in new mistakes).

I really want to work for a place where I don't have to realize I'm doing dumb programming things by messing up my side-projects on my own time…

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm pretty sure that by a month out from the con last year, we knew what mod teams would be present and at least some seminars and such. To be fair, I also recall a couple sessions being 'TBA' up until like an hour before they were supposed to begin.

Isn’t there new game(s?) being announced this year though, compared to none last year?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Baronjutter posted:

Victoria is a better paradox game than most current paradox game because it was probably the last to use the old "expansion pack" mindset of addons rather than the modular DLC approach. Paradox's current DLC approach is much lauded and successful, but it results in these very disjointed systems that get bolted on with their own mana and bonuses and screen but don't feel fully integrated with the base game let alone previous and future DLC.

I think their DLC approach is good for a lot of things, but in the name of cohesive design I wish they weren't scared of having big proper expansion packs you need to get.

I think this is more of a problem for EUIV, and to a lesser extent CK2. Both Apocalypse and Waking the Tiger, with their respective patches, felt like major and thought out "xpac" level additions, at least imo. CK2 is in a good place, and it seems like the current dev team has a reasonable agenda of cleaning things up while they sunset the game. EU on the other hand... it's not like it's a bad game, and in many ways it still feels the most finished out of the Paradox stable, but, as many have already said, it has a metric dickload of random mechanics cluttering it up.

To give credit where credit is due, the EU team has done a really good job of fleshing out the map and tags tho. Cradle and Britannia were both great in that respect

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

the old addon expansion system had its problems as well though like how because it was basically installed like a giant patch that changed everything people without the expansion were basically left behind and only the game+expansions would be supported from then one. at least now you have a base game that's always being updated regardless of extra stuff you've bought for it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cool new Metroid game posted:

the old addon expansion system had its problems as well though like how because it was basically installed like a giant patch that changed everything people without the expansion were basically left behind and only the game+expansions would be supported from then one.

yeah but gently caress em

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Stairmaster posted:

yeah but gently caress em

This. Expecting companies to support a product in perpetuity without paying for it is insane.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I dunno I think it's cool I don't have to buy all the eu4 dlcs to still get a supported game. I think I own about half of them :shrug: I got all the ck2 ones though because ck2 is good and cool.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
I'm not sure how many people would be on board with this but I legit want EU5 to have Stellaris tech management. Technologies or inventions would have a chance to unlock based on controlled resources/geography/culture/neighbours, tags would get historical techs pre-researched and that way you can have IRL situations with different nations having wildly different tech paths

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Pacho posted:

I'm not sure how many people would be on board with this but I legit want EU5 to have Stellaris tech management. Technologies or inventions would have a chance to unlock based on controlled resources/geography/culture/neighbours, tags would get historical techs pre-researched and that way you can have IRL situations with different nations having wildly different tech paths

Yeah, this and more techs in each category then could be researched in a given game, so you could focus down certain paths.

Military 1 - 40 is so.... boring.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah the actual tech progression in EU4 is extremely boring. Hell, if you wanted to really go hog wild you could break down idea groups and mash them into a Stellaris-style tech system. Just make a bunch of stuff mutually exclusive or something.

E:

This doesn't extremely inaccurately describe what we've seen of the new government system only without the randomness, which seems to kind of make my point

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah the actual tech progression in EU4 is extremely boring. Hell, if you wanted to really go hog wild you could break down idea groups and mash them into a Stellaris-style tech system. Just make a bunch of stuff mutually exclusive or something.

E:

This doesn't extremely inaccurately describe what we've seen of the new government system only without the randomness, which seems to kind of make my point

Do it for Vicky 3 so that I can waste years of research and tons of money on phlogiston and luminiferous aether research, I don't need any of this "oil" crap.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Don Gato posted:

Do it for Vicky 3 so that I can waste years of research and tons of money on phlogiston and luminiferous aether research, I don't need any of this "oil" crap.

Imagine if in Vicky 3 you could go full Nikola Tesla

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

I always saw Idea groups working like policies in Stellaris. I believe Stellaris does mana-based systems just right

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You should get some kind of Scientific Victory in V3 for rationally proving the Irish aren't human.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mantis42 posted:

You should get some kind of Scientific Victory in V3 for rationally proving the Irish aren't human.
What about the Danes?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

That was already well-established by the period.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Don Gato posted:

:same: except give me some alt-history sliders where it may be that, in fact, phlogiston is Right and Correct and the oilailures need to wrap it up.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Mantis42 posted:

Phrenology should be a mid-game tech

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pirate Radar posted:

Is this like that German guy who claimed that the Dark Ages were made up by the Catholic Church to make themselves look good and it’s actually only been 1500 years since the time of Christ, or is it more respectable?

Just in case anyone is curious about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_time_hypothesis

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Now here's a question, which one's more nuts: Phantom Time, New Chronology, or Ages in Chaos?

It's New Chronolgy.

One could probably scrounge together a fun mod from lovely alternate chronologies.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

catlord posted:

Now here's a question, which one's more nuts: Phantom Time, New Chronology, or Ages in Chaos?

It's New Chronolgy.

One could probably scrounge together a fun mod from lovely alternate chronologies.

as a paradox player i've always appreciated this prehistoric blob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jazerus posted:

as a paradox player i've always appreciated this prehistoric blob

Man what does Korea have against the Germans or the scots.