Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It happened. The school validated my loan application, and I now have a disbursement schedule from the bank to the school. Orientation is next Tuesday, classes start the 7th. What the gently caress is going on this is really happening isn't it?

Oh, and this:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Tonight's the night, boys.

Really I was talking about Rosenstein. Was 99% sure he was going to be fired right then (he was quoted as saying "Here I stand," all that day every time someone asked him if he thought he was being fired that day), and I WILL protest if an attempt is made on Mueller. So, I was planning (have a backpack full of water/snacks/urinals/basic first-aid poo poo/sunscreen/USB backup batteries and cables in all flavors, just in case). But really, this

Dagen H posted:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Was just cased for burglary. Fuckers.

Is kinda what actually happened that night, in a "lol but not really"-type way. I went out to my car on the 15th and the A-pillar spotlight, normally turned down because I don't use it, was all turned up weird, the driver's door handle was fuckered with (but still okay after popping it back down), and there were a few long, sunburnt-brunette hairs static-clinged to the driver's window. Clearly, someone was taking a gaze in the window and trying the handle pretty hard. That's why I don't keep anything in my car anymore.

E: I'm parked at the green diamond (that's actually the P71, hah!) and at the red star the fence that separates the canal pathway (an oft-used thoroughfare for shopping carts full of cans and BMX bikes alike) has a 3-foot gap. Thankfully that truck that I'm parked next to is a Cox lineman's truck that is there 24/7 (must be a dude permanently on-call that lives in the complex) and has cameras on it all around. Don't know if they work but it's something.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Bitch, please. Hang that poo poo out the back with a knackered hi-vis jacket taped on the end of it.

If more than half the length is in, it's a decent Friday night perfectly safe.

I think the seat will have to come out to get more than half penetration without it dragging on the ground at the back.

cakesmith handyman posted:

This felt dangerous and left me nervous about poor visibility when I did it with a Volvo wagon with a spotter calling out hazards approaching from the passenger side, I wouldn't be happy trying it in anything smaller. Do you have roof bars?

Nope and you cant fit them on mine because of the fancy roof.

I've moved 4.8m long 2x4's in the LR before (poked through the screen vents so that they stuck out about 1m at the front). I think I'll have to do some proper measuring in the Panda. Might have to take the back seat out too in order to get them to sit level..

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
High kids. I'm gonna tell you part 1 of the dirtmobile saga just because I like to talk.

Back in 1986, the wife and I decided we needed another vehicle. I worked 25ish miles from home, and she needed to do school stuff. She had a 73 Corona wagon that was a decent commuter, but our only other rig was a 3/4 ton 4x4 which was def not cheap to operate. We agreed that if we found a good used car that suited her, she'd get the new one and I'd get the wagon. If we found one for me, she'd keep the wagon. We also agreed to get the blessing of my brother on anything we test drove before we would even consider purchasing it.

My brother Rebus* was the best wrench in town at the time. Whatever he said about any car, we considered carved in stone. So me and mrs d8 hit the used car lots one Sunday and plotted a dozen or so potential test drives for the next day. Each one we took by Rebus and got his opinion. "This year/model has some power steering issues" he would say, or "That's not bad if you can get it for under $XXXX." He looked at about 8 or so, but nothing quite fit yet.

We took the last car we tested back to the dealer and said nah and turned to leave. Right there by the door was a nice white new looking1984 Toyota pickup. I turned back to the salesguy and said what about that? He told me they took it in trade not 5 minutes ago.

Me: How much?
He: Five thousand.
Me: Test drive?
He: Keys are in it.

Three minutes later we pulled up to my brother's shop and he said, "What are you doing in this?" Test drive I says. He says how much? 5k I says.
He didn't hesitate a second when he said "Buy it right now."

He showed me the work order. "I put a brand new engine in it yesterday. It came in with 22xxx on the odometer." I checked. This engine had all of 12 miles on it. I owned it 20 minutes later. I got the guy talked down to $4995 and called it a win.

I drove that truck for 25 years and loved every mile. It was the best all-around vehicle I have ever owned.

Tune in next week for the next exciting installment of The Saga of The Dirtmobile.

*My nickname for him, taken from Firesign Theatre's 'Everything You Know is Wrong!' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKZtt2yEwfs

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Waaaait.... you were married in 1986?

Whew Im not the oldest here

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Waaaait.... you were married in 1986?

Whew Im not the oldest here

oh hell no i was married in 1977

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Seminal Flu posted:

Finland has 2-day mullets? Awesome!

Seriously looking forward to pictures, though. What motor? Carbureted 305? V6? I4? The terrible engine options are endless! (Hoping for a FI 350 with a manual)

Thundercougarfalconbird Bird Poop Edition received. Interior is cloth, has an automatic. Theres some seriously interesting PO fuckery with wiring done to it that I need to check out with time.
For example:

The light switch is.. probably borked? so the PO has bypassed it so that lights come on IF you have both A/C and light switch on.
Theres a manual control for radiator fan.

Oh and it has hood pins, because OF COURSE IT DOES.
The stereo doesnt work so i couldn't blast my 80s metal playlist

Sormus fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 17, 2018

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Tomarse posted:

I think the seat will have to come out to get more than half penetration without it dragging on the ground at the back.

Nope and you cant fit them on mine because of the fancy roof.

I've moved 4.8m long 2x4's in the LR before (poked through the screen vents so that they stuck out about 1m at the front). I think I'll have to do some proper measuring in the Panda. Might have to take the back seat out too in order to get them to sit level..

Sounds like a lot of hassle when b&q rent transits out for £15 an hour. B&Q will cut on site for free too, if you aren’t using them as full lengths you might fit them in the panda easier.

When we done our kitchen we just got the countertops delivered (wickes, £30) because I couldn’t be bothered trying to fit 3m of countertops in 2m of vivaro.

I did manage to fit some 2.4m rails and 2mx0.5m sheets in my wife’s Peugeot 208 with the hatch shut which I was pretty surprised with though. Was going to get b&q to cut them for me but the bloody machine was broken.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Is Amazon basically another Alibaba/AliExpress now? I was searching for a cheap USB microphone and came up with such storied brands as "XIAOKOA" and "oenbopo." I'm assuming they're all pumped out in from the same factory and will last about 6 months...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

redgubbinz posted:

Is Amazon basically another Alibaba/AliExpress now? I was searching for a cheap USB microphone and came up with such storied brands as "XIAOKOA" and "oenbopo." I'm assuming they're all pumped out in from the same factory and will last about 6 months...

Yes.
Don't shop on Amazon, shop in the internet proper to find a good mic, then check out Amazon to find it.
I haven't used Amazon to shop in a while now because it's turned to black-box algorithm recommend poo poo.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
What's the go to cheap Bluetooth obd2 reader? About to order some coffee and figured I might as well finally buy one.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

That's what I usually do, I was just going to buy whichever USB mic was under $20 or so and had the most reviews but I went down the rabbit hole of offshore stank and found gems like this

Qxcynsef: A Household Name You Can Trust, If Not Pronounce!

e: I don't know who this Ricky Hao is, but he has his own LLC, what a go-getter

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 17, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

redgubbinz posted:

That's what I usually do, I was just going to buy whichever USB mic was under $20 or so and had the most reviews but I went down the rabbit hole of offshore stank and found gems like this

Qxcynsef: A Household Name You Can Trust, If Not Pronounce!

e: I don't know who this Ricky Hao is, but he has his own LLC, what a go-getter

Alternatively some of the "good" things are made in China with a logo slapped on them. A lot of times you can find knockoff things that are identical to something name brand.
If the good stuff is made in China on the same lines as the knockoff stuff then I have no qualms about buying the cheaper knockoff stuff (as long as it isn't food, medicine, drivetrain car parts) since it's all the same poo poo.

That mic you linked might be great :shrug:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Alternatively some of the "good" things are made in China with a logo slapped on them. A lot of times you can find knockoff things that are identical to something name brand.
If the good stuff is made in China on the same lines as the knockoff stuff then I have no qualms about buying the cheaper knockoff stuff (as long as it isn't food, medicine, drivetrain car parts) since it's all the same poo poo.

That mic you linked might be great :shrug:

The difference between the name brand and knockoff stuff is usually QC. For some things this matters, for others not so much.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
How's everyone doing this fine Tuesday morning? Everybody get their taxes done?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

Snowing on April 17th and people are losing their minds over it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Adiabatic posted:

Doing just fine! Taxes are done and my refund is going towards paying off the wife's tax bill since her employer didn't deduct enough. Good bye car parts.

Are you officially done with crunch time? Or is there another push coming up?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

99% of redonk poo poo that happens here is next to a canal pathway lol

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Adiabatic posted:

I swapped back to all season tires and it froze/snowed last night. I barely made it up the one large hill on my drive to work. Too soon, JR. Otherwise I think on the rebound from the flu, so things are looking up.

How are you, fella?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Adiabatic posted:

Been done for months.

I'm fine other than I had to spend my night last night swapping a header into the Civic because the #4 tube on the stock manifold was cracked almost 360°.

So now I just need to find an obd2 reader and get it ordered, finish up a spreadsheet (sum is not countif) and I'm good :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
My insistence in maintaining OEM (or direct replacement) parts on my cars has me ordering a fuel filter from the UAE :toot:

I just had to go and fix the fuel air mixture sensor in the Crown that then made the car not run 100% rich the whole time which in turn exposed that the filter is less-than-good to maintain fuel pressure.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

My insistence in maintaining OEM (or direct replacement) parts on my cars has me ordering a fuel filter from the UAE :toot:

I presently have parts for my Cruiser coming from Indonesia, Thailand, Japan, China, UAE, Venezuela, and the US.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Adiabatic posted:

gently caress yea. Well not finished, but our accountant was done enough to know we will be getting a return this year(instead of the $$$$ bill we got last year), but she also had to file an extension. Won't see the refund for a while, but just knowing we don't have to write a huge check to the IRS really helps with the anxiety of our first kid being on its way.

I am just happy Seattle is having our normal spring weather(alternating between beautiful sunny skies to pouring rain and back every 30 minutes or so), instead of being snowed in like the rest of the country.

Tho I did just hear that a new team is being spun up in my job, which is a team I have been trying to get going for a while. The problem is, I was supposed to be running/building the team(part of the new role I moved into at the start of the year), but I only heard about all of this when one of my coworkers asked why I wasn't on a meeting invite. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out, I really don't want to change jobs right now, but running that team was the main reason I took the new role. That team will be responsible for all the interesting engineering work part of my job, which just leaves me all the bullshit meetings and poo poo. The joys of working for a startup.....

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

I'm in week 2 of my sprint to the finish for my degree, everything's on fire and i'm lowkey panicking nonstop.

So you know, comparatively not bad.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Adiabatic posted:

Yes I filed last day. The IRS sucked my account dry this morning. The state will be taking theirs via check. My estimations were...under from my normal withholding amount. It makes me sad because while I don't usually expect a refund I don't expect owing an amount anywhere near what I did. I had my eye on a couple of toys I was hoping to pick up and this made me responsible up and put those on hold.

My job is pretty cyclical through the week with Mondays being full :kingsley: and they just wipe me out. I barely have much left to help out with the kids etc when I get home at night.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I barely have much left to help out with the kids etc when I get home at night.

:same:

I have no advice to give but I get this.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Larrymer posted:

I have no advice to give but I get this.

Adderall :v:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

ReasonsILeftTheMidwest.txt

McTinkerson posted:

Doing just fine! Taxes are done and my refund is going towards paying off the wife's tax bill since her employer didn't deduct enough. Good bye car parts.

Are you officially done with crunch time? Or is there another push coming up?

Easy come easy go, yeah?

The 8 hour test is behind me, hopefully for good. Still have these two grad classes to finish up but that's much less mental stress. Appreciate you asking.

Larrymer posted:

I swapped back to all season tires and it froze/snowed last night. I barely made it up the one large hill on my drive to work. Too soon, JR. Otherwise I think on the rebound from the flu, so things are looking up.

How are you, fella?

Dude my friends are all getting this weird flu thing. Glad it's getting better for ya.

I'm great! Have a trip to Jamaica in May I'm looking forward to.

iwentdoodie posted:

Been done for months.

I'm fine other than I had to spend my night last night swapping a header into the Civic because the #4 tube on the stock manifold was cracked almost 360°.

So now I just need to find an obd2 reader and get it ordered, finish up a spreadsheet (sum is not countif) and I'm good :v:

Dang you just reminded me - I didn't get pictures, but I helped a buddy out with his car last night. He has an LL Bean Outback 3.0R and knows 0 about cars, so he got this lazy mutual friend of ours to swap plugs on it. Dude took like 7 weeks and brought it back with engine noise. I thought it was rod knock when I was riding around in the back seat, but we brought it into the garage during a party on Saturday (MEAT MEET) and it was definitely compression coming from the passenger rear spark plug hole. The fuckin plug was loose, since Mr. Lazybones didn't unbolt the two mounts to lift the engine up for better access, and got frustrated and said "gently caress it". I'm talking not even finger tight, still 5 or 6 rotations to go. Thank god those plugs have a shitload of threads.

You ever use VBA with excel? Most diehard programmers I talk to think it's child's play, but there's some seriously cool stuff you can do with it. I need to dig up my old turbo sizing calculator sometime.

slurry_curry posted:

gently caress yea. Well not finished, but our accountant was done enough to know we will be getting a return this year(instead of the $$$$ bill we got last year), but she also had to file an extension. Won't see the refund for a while, but just knowing we don't have to write a huge check to the IRS really helps with the anxiety of our first kid being on its way.

I am just happy Seattle is having our normal spring weather(alternating between beautiful sunny skies to pouring rain and back every 30 minutes or so), instead of being snowed in like the rest of the country.

Tho I did just hear that a new team is being spun up in my job, which is a team I have been trying to get going for a while. The problem is, I was supposed to be running/building the team(part of the new role I moved into at the start of the year), but I only heard about all of this when one of my coworkers asked why I wasn't on a meeting invite. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out, I really don't want to change jobs right now, but running that team was the main reason I took the new role. That team will be responsible for all the interesting engineering work part of my job, which just leaves me all the bullshit meetings and poo poo. The joys of working for a startup.....

+1 for awesome accountants. Mine saved my rear end. I'm claiming rental income but didn't deduct anything, and she had me grab anything related to the house and made a shitload of deductions to where my entire discrepancy is like $500.

poo poo man that sucks they didn't even say anything to you. If I were in that boat I'd 1. act super excited about everything to do with the new team, and just feed a dickload of positive energy towards it in conversation to show you're obviously supposed to be there, and 2. lowkey talk to recruiters about finding a place that cares. These co's aint loyal.

Enourmo posted:

I'm in week 2 of my sprint to the finish for my degree, everything's on fire and i'm lowkey panicking nonstop.

So you know, comparatively not bad.

Yo, you got this. It's always hosed around the end of the semester but, like Seminal Flu / meatpimp said, you can do ANYthing for a couple of weeks. I'm rooting for you, bud.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yes I filed last day. The IRS sucked my account dry this morning. The state will be taking theirs via check. My estimations were...under from my normal withholding amount. It makes me sad because while I don't usually expect a refund I don't expect owing an amount anywhere near what I did. I had my eye on a couple of toys I was hoping to pick up and this made me responsible up and put those on hold.

My job is pretty cyclical through the week with Mondays being full :kingsley: and they just wipe me out. I barely have much left to help out with the kids etc when I get home at night.

Fuuuuuuuuck. Hope that poo poo improves for you. I cannot even begin to imagine how much of an energy drain kids are.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck. Hope that poo poo improves for you. I cannot even begin to imagine how much of an energy drain kids are.

They aren't an energy drain really, my son is ten years old and I can't ever remember a time where I thought that. If he does ever really drain me it's playing football or something like that so it's good exercise :)

You can't really gauge how your own kids will be compared to other people's kids. I mean unless your kid has some legit behavior issues it's not that hard to get them into a routine that jives with whatever you're doing, and you make time for them whenever you can. Also it's your own child so the whole unconditional love thing kinda trumps a lot of poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 17, 2018

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Adiabatic posted:

+1 for awesome accountants. Mine saved my rear end. I'm claiming rental income but didn't deduct anything, and she had me grab anything related to the house and made a shitload of deductions to where my entire discrepancy is like $500.

poo poo man that sucks they didn't even say anything to you. If I were in that boat I'd 1. act super excited about everything to do with the new team, and just feed a dickload of positive energy towards it in conversation to show you're obviously supposed to be there, and 2. lowkey talk to recruiters about finding a place that cares. These co's aint loyal.

oyea, already made a point to say that I am happy to help with anything they need and am excited to be part of the process, while at the same time starting to yell at the appropriate people behind the scenes. Thankfully I have been around since the company was small enough that I have a good relationship with the CEO, so I will definitely be having a conversation with him next time I am down at the office. I guess its time to stop ignoring the recruiters on linkedin, and see if any of my friends who reached out recently still need people. I really don't want to go work for Amazon.....

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Taxes are done, I got a small refund back.

Jobchat: I received a layoff notice at the beginning of March after 5 years with my old employer. I wasn’t very optimistic about finding another position in my field (RF/cellular engineering) locally, but I ended up landing a similar job at a competitor that pays 12% more, and their office is 3 miles away from my house instead of 22. I left my old job last Friday and I start the new one on Monday, and I’m getting a severance package from my old employer, so I’m pretty stoked about how it all worked out. :toot:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Adiabatic posted:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Also it's your own child so the whole unconditional love thing kinda trumps a lot of poo poo.

It is just the seasonal side. Making hay while the sun shines and all. I wouldn't have it any other way and I do get to spend a lot of time with my kids, more than most parents probably do. It is rewarding in so many ways that are intangible. I love my kids, like AA stated it is unconditional. They are so much fun. I had my middle child (son) with me for a good 6 or 7 hours on Saturday and we just had a blast.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My son and I went to a local park yesterday and lucked out because it was low tide so we went through all the rocks and poo poo looking for crabs and whatever else we could find, he loved it. Also found a great new spot to launch the paddleboards from.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

We did our taxes early, first year filing together so I got something back for the first time in many years.

Decided to cut my losses and sell the VW Caddy so I could focus on house and race car. That went Friday night after waiting ~4 hours for a tow truck to come drag it to his house. It's getting blasted, full respray, all new bushings and stuff then a TDI swap to finish it off. He's aiming to do all that before he moves to CA in a few months...ambitious.

Projects at work ramping up along with the stress and BS that goes with them. Going to be a long summer but that's life.

Finn tax

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

LloydDobler posted:

Good for you! That $800 a month plus gas can really make a difference in savings and lifestyle. Never mind how much less time you spend in the car. Think about it, that's one beater Honda civic per month! Or one questionable motorcycle! Or 8 mediocre hookers!

Commute has been a major sticking point for me since taking my current job. I used to be a field technician and would routinely drive hundreds of miles per day, but either I've gone soft or it's different when you're not being paid by the hour to drive.

Took the day off to fill out all of the on-boarding paperwork, and just sent my resignation via email about 10 minutes ago. Kind of on eggshells waiting for a response as I'm not sure how they'll react - losing me now is going to be bad for them. The other guy in my department is in his 80s and probably should have retired 5 years ago, I'm just now getting really comfortable with their product line and the company is struggling to right itself after years of mismanagement.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

When I lived in Minnesota, I didn't take my snow tires off until may 1 and put them on mid-october.
People always gave me poo poo except the years ot snowed on april 25 or october 31. And we had one or the other once a year.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
paid my taxes last night, there goes another 2k :v:

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

I would like to pet this creature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Taxes were done last month and I received my federal refund in ~7 days. State however is a different story, as I received a letter informing me our paperwork had an error and voided our eligibility for receiving the "kicker" Oregon issued this year. I need to review the errors and appeal the rejection.Shame on me for trusting a new provider and not thoroughly reviewing the paperwork before submitting. Lesson learned. At the same time, I caught an error on last years return in my favor and have filed an amendment have that corrected. It was either turbotax not filling in a box or me missing a check box. We'll see how long that takes. Regardless, it's all going to pay off debt in prep for a house purchase this summer.

• Locked thread