Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My son and I went to a local park yesterday and lucked out because it was low tide so we went through all the rocks and poo poo looking for crabs and whatever else we could find, he loved it. Also found a great new spot to launch the paddleboards from.

This is the one of the few upside for the Seattle area beaches, since we don't have sand just rocks. My wife still loves to go "beach poking", as she refers to it, at low tide. I am getting more and more excited about having a kid to be able to share all the stuff like this with, and as an excuse to go and do all the weird poo poo I loved to do as a kid. I just need to figure out a way to let her spend some time in Alaska, like I did as a kid. Well, minus the part where I had to be a deckhand on my dad's work boat.

want to pet that dog so bad. Once our wiener dog is gone(which is gonna be another ~10 years, bastards live a long time mostly out of spite), I really want to get a bernese. I grew up with one, and she was the best dog ever. Even managed to live to be 12.

More job bullshit. Just got off a call with my boss, apparently no one told him about this team being built either, so its a good thing I started yelling. Still going to reach out to some friends/old coworkers and see whats up, but I am somewhat optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
My guts are not happy. I want to go back to bed and sleep.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I owe $2K between the state and the feds, but I don't have my poo poo all together so I gotta file an extension. Hooray. Just got a bid from movers, another $2K to move my crap to new house. Tree guys showed up and cut down my cherry Blossom tree despite it not being on the bill of work to be performed, but they are doing a fair bit of work for $700 and the cherry blossom wasn't in great shape so whatever. Not like I'm gonna live here to not see it anymore anyway. Looks like I'm moving out on the 1st of May....mayday. This is not ominous or anything I hope.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

stump posted:

Sounds like a lot of hassle when b&q rent transits out for £15 an hour. B&Q will cut on site for free too, if you aren’t using them as full lengths you might fit them in the panda easier.

When we done our kitchen we just got the countertops delivered (wickes, £30) because I couldn’t be bothered trying to fit 3m of countertops in 2m of vivaro.

I did manage to fit some 2.4m rails and 2mx0.5m sheets in my wife’s Peugeot 208 with the hatch shut which I was pretty surprised with though. Was going to get b&q to cut them for me but the bloody machine was broken.

poo poo, I didn’t know b and q rented transits and by the hour! I’d priced one for the day from elsewhere and it wasn’t worth it but I can get one for 2 hours from my local b and q for £20 which sounds much easier!

Delivery would also be even easier but there is roughly a 3.5 week wait time to get a delivery slot and I want to fit it before then as I have some free time.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tomarse posted:

poo poo, I didn’t know b and q rented transits and by the hour! I’d priced one for the day from elsewhere and it wasn’t worth it but I can get one for 2 hours from my local b and q for £20 which sounds much easier!

Delivery would also be even easier but there is roughly a 3.5 week wait time to get a delivery slot and I want to fit it before then as I have some free time.

Don't you own a landrover that is quite long?

256.54 cm to be exact. It's even in the name!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, waited until the last minute to try and get my IRS IP PIN reissued (I lost the original letter they mailed). Guess what? I can't get it online, as they need a phone # in my name (my phone is through a T-Mobile business reseller, so the account is technically in their name). When I called them, they said they won't be able to do it without a phone line in my name. So I have to file an extension, find a way to print it (my printer died), and mail it in.

Went ahead and got them paid via TurboTax, just have to print it out and stick it in the mail like a :corsair:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sormus posted:

Thundercougarfalconbird Bird Poop Edition received. Interior is cloth, has an automatic. Theres some seriously interesting PO fuckery with wiring done to it that I need to check out with time.
For example:

The light switch is.. probably borked? so the PO has bypassed it so that lights come on IF you have both A/C and light switch on.
Theres a manual control for radiator fan.

Oh and it has hood pins, because OF COURSE IT DOES.
The stereo doesnt work so i couldn't blast my 80s metal playlist

You forgot the most important part.

...is it a V8?

Adiabatic posted:

How's everyone doing this fine Tuesday morning? Everybody get their taxes done?

Not bad. Taxes were done a month ago, and the $3K we got back went into savings. Going to need a roof in a few years now.
Job would be better if the company I'm at would get off the pot and actually *hire* me. They don't know it yet, but "permanent contractor" is not a role I'm going to fill for long. My contracting company's medical is too expensive, and no holiday, sick, or vacation pay blows goats, especially when the host company takes 12 holidays a year. That's about $2500 a year just gone.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So glad we mostly get our taxes done automatically. Worst case we overpay and get it back automatically.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

cakesmith handyman posted:

So glad we mostly get our taxes done automatically. Worst case we overpay and get it back automatically.

lol you could only wish you knew freedom like we do :911:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If doing your own taxes is freedom then shackle me the gently caress up because I don't want that.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
doing your own taxes is awesome when you're poor and dont own anything! :D

oh.

:smith:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If doing your own taxes is freedom then shackle me the gently caress up because I don't want that.

ahem freedom to pay intuit or h&r block yearly, after they successfully lobbied to block all efforts to automate personal income tax processing

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Darchangel posted:

You forgot the most important part.

...is it a V8?

305, so.....technically?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Yea, 305 TBI. 350 engines are available here and there are few companies that regularly ship car parts from US to here so it shouldn't be impossible to do that 350 swap over winter

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sormus posted:

Yea, 305 TBI. 350 engines are available here and there are few companies that regularly ship car parts from US to here so it shouldn't be impossible to do that 350 swap over winter

Even if you keep it a stock L05, you'll have a HUGE increase in resale, parts availability, power and smiles.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

Don't you own a landrover that is quite long?

256.54 cm to be exact. It's even in the name!

I actually own exactly 4.8 m of landrovers, but none of it is road legal until May the 20th when it all becomes MOT and tax exempt! :)

(Yes, this was kinda bad planning on my behalf)

cakesmith handyman posted:

:cry: (Limited Company)

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 17, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I used mine to go get some 8' chipboard sheets yesterday.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sormus posted:

I've never seen headlight washers like that on a Transmaro. Is that a Finnish Domestic Market requirement?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
ISP Chat: Just got an email from my provider.

quote:

That’s why we’ve just reduced the price of your Fibre broadband plan to $110 a month. And because you also have Mobile with us, you’ll get another $10 bucks off, so you’ll only pay $100 a month.

Ya'll should really get the government to subsidise and regulate this poo poo for ya, it's awesome. Hell I can probably shop around and get a cheaper deal, I just enjoy the excellent service I currently get. Just don't royally gently caress it up like the Aussies did.

Unlimited. And if the fibre ever goes tits-up, I can pull a reliable 85/45 on LTE from a tower about 50m away and have the choice of two other telcos that should give similar speed from their towers about 200m away.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 17, 2018

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Seminal Flu posted:

I've never seen headlight washers like that on a Transmaro. Is that a Finnish Domestic Market requirement?

Its an US import car so it shouldn't look TOO foreign

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

I actually own exactly 4.8 m of landrovers, but none of it is road legal until May the 20th when it all becomes MOT and tax exempt! :)

(Yes, this was kinda bad planning on my behalf)

FYI you can do a short term van hire from the big car hire companies for a very reasonable price - I forget who I got a quote from (Europhire?) but they did a good deal for a 4hour hire in the afternoon. I gave them a call and they were surprisingly helpful

https://www.europcar.co.uk/services/hourly-hire

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Job chat: surprisingly I didn't get a reply from my manager after submitting my resignation today, but I guess they have a week and three days to ream me out in person.

Tax chat: spent about three months on unemployment last year so I've been dragging my feet on filing under the assumption that I'd end up owing. In a pleasant surprise I didn't end up owing anything to the state or federal governments, and am getting about $110 back between the two.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

That's the lie, isn't it?

"Honey, I need this vehicle: I'll be doing all that important house stuff and need it to be able to buy material. It's much more cost effective this way - I'm saving us money "

*rents van to move the supplies*

-see also: 4x4, trucks, camping vans and humvees.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

spog posted:

That's the lie, isn't it?

"Honey, I need this vehicle"

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Ya'll should really get the government to subsidise and regulate this poo poo for ya, it's awesome. Hell I can probably shop around and get a cheaper deal, I just enjoy the excellent service I currently get. Just don't royally gently caress it up like the Aussies did.

Unlimited. And if the fibre ever goes tits-up, I can pull a reliable 85/45 on LTE from a tower about 50m away and have the choice of two other telcos that should give similar speed from their towers about 200m away.

Where is this internet dreamland where you could stream 4K all day every day?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I live in the US and somehow get gigabit up/down with unlimited data for $70/mo. It's not an introductory rate and I don't have to have any other services. It's amazing.

For taxes: $31 federal refund, owe $27 for state taxes. Can't wait to spend that $4.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Gingerbread House Music posted:

305, so.....technically?

Ah, right. Forgot he'd said it was an L03 earlier. Plus I wanted to post V8 hand signs.

Real question, because I know you guys know everything, or at least someone knows something:
How do I edit my thread's title, or is that just something only mods can do? I'm not seeing anything obvious, and the internet is being surprisingly unhelpful in SA-related things.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Ah, right. Forgot he'd said it was an L03 earlier. Plus I wanted to post V8 hand signs.

Real question, because I know you guys know everything, or at least someone knows something:
How do I edit my thread's title, or is that just something only mods can do? I'm not seeing anything obvious, and the internet is being surprisingly unhelpful in SA-related things.

Mods only.

Else it would be abused to heck and back.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Man, gently caress this week.

That was yesterday's fun. Thankfully I had a header on hand, and got it swapped by about ten at night.

I knew the brakes needed done just by looking through the wheels, and had the poo poo in my Amazon cart to order Thursday to do this weekend.

So of course today on my way home, the drivers side seized. Thankfully I had a 10mm wrench in the car, so once it cooled down I just bled it off and limped back home. So instead of 70 on Amazon I now spent 120 at Advance (thanks, 20% off coupon!) to get all the brake poo poo.

So drive home with basically no brakes (3 miles of backroads, not anything serious), and throw it right back up on stands. Then find out whoever did the brakes last reinstalled the goddamn set screws. So an hour job has now become 4.

Couple this woth the fact that we've now been denied/lost our chance at a rental house yet loving again, and I'm so goddamn close to losing my loving mind.

Can't get the gently caress ahead for loving losing, and no matter how much I loving try to keep a level head and stay calm and try harder I'm like a stubbed loving toe away from just goddamn losing it.

Oh well. Time to try and get the other loving rotor off now. What else can happen, right?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

iwentdoodie posted:

Can't get the gently caress ahead for loving losing, and no matter how much I loving try to keep a level head and stay calm and try harder I'm like a stubbed loving toe away from just goddamn losing it.

God drat, I've been right loving there. :smith: Goonspeed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Couple this woth the fact that we've now been denied/lost our chance at a rental house yet loving again, and I'm so goddamn close to losing my loving mind.

Dude don't you live in Lakeland? How can it be hard to rent a house out there i don't get it. There's houses for rent all over the place here, they are expensive as hell but they are there.

Are you living with relatives now or something?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Dude don't you live in Lakeland? How can it be hard to rent a house out there i don't get it. There's houses for rent all over the place here, they are expensive as hell but they are there.

Are you living with relatives now or something?

Living with relatives. Our credit isn't great (thanks going into horrendous debt living in CA), and despite the fact that my income is great and we meet every requirement it's just "lol nah" every loving time.

We're trying some other options now but gently caress.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Modus Man posted:

Where is this internet dreamland where you could stream 4K all day every day?

New Zealand. By 2022, 87% of the population is expected to have access to FTTH.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BuckyDoneGun posted:

New Zealand. By 2022, 87% of the population is expected to have access to FTTH.

Wanna move to this 'new' Zealand you speak of.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
RCR NZ episodes have made it seem like a nice place

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Yeah, but it's not on maps, so I'm pretty sure it's a hoax

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It's been like 3 years since I got my first moped (that I never got running) and a full year since I got my Puch. All the electronics poo poo the bed last year right after I got it to idle. I never managed to get it running before winter. After ordering a ton of poo poo and taking a day off to work on it, I can finally say I have a working moped! I loving love 50cc motors.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Breakfast Feud posted:

It's been like 3 years since I got my first moped (that I never got running) and a full year since I got my Puch. All the electronics poo poo the bed last year right after I got it to idle. I never managed to get it running before winter. After ordering a ton of poo poo and taking a day off to work on it, I can finally say I have a working moped! I loving love 50cc motors.

There is no moped cooler than a good Puch.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Darchangel posted:

Hit me up babygirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So the Negative Ion has a habit of pissing itself when the AC is on - via the electrical plug on the blower. :stare: I've already cleaned out the condensation drain - physically (with a pipe cleaner) and with a shop vac, as GF said it started pouring water out from under the dash when she stopped to get lunch. Didn't really get anything out of the drain, but I figured it had iced up from lack of airflow, and thawed out when she parked (fan was dead, she was relying on fresh air coming in at highway speeds to keep cool) - was guessing it was just too much for the drain to handle. Upside is whoever owned it before has (official, Saturn branded) rubber floormats, they caught the bulk of it. I've had a towel propping a mixing bowl up under the motor just in case it did leak again; it didn't leak on me until today when I took a left turn at a decent clip. When I bought dinner, I did a few left circles in the parking lot at Kroger to try and get all the water out, and...

:barf:

Previously the water was clear, I'm guessing this is 203k miles worth of dirt (... and probably brushes) being washed out of the motor I stole from the Saturd.

So I checked the Googles, and....

GM TSB posted:

Cause 1 - During Assembly of the HVAC module, a foam block used to isolate the evaporator core from the HVAC module case may fall off and float over the top of the drain causing blockage.

Cause 2 - During the manufacturing of the lower A/C Evaporator Case housing, the evaporator case drain hole may be restricted with plastic flash from the injection molding process.

Correction
Remove obstruction from drain following the procedure outlined in this bulletin.

Service Procedure
Important: Prior to performing the following procedures, ensure the heater core cover front of dash condensate drain is not obstructed.

Important: The evaporator core is contained in its own compartment with its own unique drain hole (the drain hole is approximately 5 mm (.20 inches) in diameter). This drain hole allows condensation collected by the evaporator core to flow from the evaporator compartment down to the heater core compartment at which time it exits the vehicle through the heater core cover front of dash condensate drain. The evaporator compartment drain hole is located about 25.4 mm (1inch) inside and down from where the access hole is being drilled.

Important: Keep copies of the original template provided in this bulletin for future use.

Locate the passenger side area of the HVAC module on the right side of the console.

Cut out template (several included in this bulletin) and place on right side of the HVAC module as shown in the above illustration.
Center punch through the template.
Important: Prior to drilling into HVAC module, place an absorbent towel below area to be drilled to collect any condensation that may flow out of the hole.

Notice: To prevent possible damage to the evaporator core, do not drill more than 19 mm (3/4 in.) past the HVAC module case wall.

Notice: Use of an angle drill is required. There is not enough clearance to use a standard drill motor as this will cause the hole to be drilled at an angle. Drilling at an angle will cause HVAC case damage and may result in another leak. The holesaw must be held perpendicular to the HVAC case while drilling.

Using a 15/16 in. (24 mm) hole saw, drill hole at the specified location.
Using a deburring type tool, remove all drill shavings from around access hole to ensure a proper fit for the cap plug. Do not allow these shavings to fall into the access hole.
Once the access hole is drilled, use a work light to illuminate through the hole and identify location of 5 mm (.20 in.) drain opening located 25.4 mm (1inch) inside and down from access hole opening.
Identify whether the obstruction is Cause 1 (foam block) or Cause 2 (plastic flashing).
Important: The evaporator core is wrapped with a foam insulator. This insulator is visible through the access hole. Do not mistake the evaporator insulator for the loose foam block that needs to be removed.

For Cause 1, remove foam block and proceed to the next step. For Cause 2, use a right angle tool (a cotter pin puller tool, or equivalent) to clear the plastic flash from the opening and then proceed to next step. Make sure the drain hole is entirely unplugged.
To verify 5 mm (.20 in.) drain is open, with the vehicle on level ground, add approximately 4 ounces of water through access hole opening. The water should immediately drain through the front of dash condensate drain. If the water does not drain through the front of dash condensate drain, re-inspect the 5 mm (.20 in.) drain opening for other debris.

Once the foam block and/or debris has been removed and the drain is functional, apply a bead of Kent® Leak Chek Sealer, P/N 10070, or equivalent, around the perimeter of cap plug, P/N 25652432.

Install cap plug into access hole opening to re-seal HVAC module.

:shepicide:

Well that explains why the old motor was seized, it was doubling as the evaporator drain. Could be worse, but I need to find a right hand drill (Darchangel, you got one I might be able to use in your driveway sometime in the next few days? Should take less than an hour). I'll probably use the Saturd to practice on with a box cutter, just so I can get an idea of what I'll be looking for (and how high/low I need to drill to avoid hitting the evaporator... since I can't find the actual TSB PDF, nor can I find the template that was included with the tsb). Or, you know, I might just drill a new drain into the bottom of the evaporator box and run it through the firewall, since I can be ghetto like that.

Also managed to roach the blower resistor sometime between installing the motor from the Saturd and today, only had speeds 3 and 4. Swapped the one from the 'turd over (turns out 'turd had one from Mexico, while Negative had one from Japan.. the Japan one looks a lot like the OEM part to me after watching a Youtube video on how to get at the resistor, but I know GM makes a lot of their parts in Mexico, so :iiam:), and now I have all 4 speeds again. Which is good, since I'm working 10 hours tomorrow; I got real sick of not being able to put the fan on low.

Going to pull the fan motor and dump it upside down to try and get all the water out every day until I can fix this, I don't need it seizing (or burning out). Thankfully it's just 3 screws to remove it. I'm going to hit up some pawn shops tomorrow to see if I can find a right angle drill, preferably battery (I don't want to be holding a 120V drill when the water comes out, especially since there's no GFCI protection on my patio outlet).

Upsides: mileage on the Negative is significantly better than it was on the 'turd, and it seems like it's a lot peppier overall. First tank was 31 mpg, second was 33.5 mpg. That's with the ac running. I suspect today's tank will be a bit lower, since I spent a lot of time idling between orders to keep the ac going), but going by the gauge, I really didn't use as much gas as I would have in the old car. I'll find out for sure tomorrow when I fill up before work.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 18, 2018

• Locked thread