Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Cowcaster posted:

truely the most op weapon of all is metal gear.. only to be surpassed by Communicantion and Temwork

Love and friendship is the strongest magic.

(Takes another trueflight volley to the back of the head while kiting boss)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Main issue I'd like to see them fix besides the various sound issues is something that's been happening to me the last few days on legend runs, seems to mostly be isolated to legend difficulty, but hordes have a very nasty habit of appearing out of thin air right on top of someone and immediately attack them from all sides.

I'm not talking about skavenslaves coming out of one of the burrows and holes around the map, I'm talking about 50 norscans materializing out of thin air in front of your eyes in a idle pose and .5 seconds later attacking all together, happened to me twice in a day.

It could be my toaster of a PC, but Righteous Stand IMO is the worst for sound issues and shitloads of hitching. I can only assume that it's because it's a huge level and playing it as my first run of the day means that the game has to load way too much assets at once to run perfectly, but considering other players also experience sound bugs, this might be more of the game's fault.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Main issue I'd like to see them fix besides the various sound issues is something that's been happening to me the last few days on legend runs, seems to mostly be isolated to legend difficulty, but hordes have a very nasty habit of appearing out of thin air right on top of someone and immediately attack them from all sides.

I'm not talking about skavenslaves coming out of one of the burrows and holes around the map, I'm talking about 50 norscans materializing out of thin air in front of your eyes in a idle pose and .5 seconds later attacking all together, happened to me twice in a day.

Here is a little gif of it happening, the left side is completely empty and then suddenly swarm.

The Skittergate is unreliable skaven technology. You have to expect mistakes like this once in a while.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

skaven technology is very stable and well crafted tyvm

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That's why I try not to feel too bad when I get stabbed in the back by something. If this poo poo is happening in full view, you can bet your rear end it's happening behind you too.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Drythe posted:

Deeds cause people to pay the gently caress attention to things

You know all those things people :qq: about in this thread? When you are looking around and playing well they aren't that bad

The true hero power was inside of us all along

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Arghy posted:

The problem with the choice of war pick/hammer/axe is, first their boss armor resists, second their max damage numbers on a single target. So warpick does .5 damage to boss armor but can do 67 damage on super charged attack. 2h axe does 15 damage on a light attack and 25 on a charged to a dummy with .8 damage modifier on light attacks and .5 on charged to boss armor. 2h hammer does 18 damage on light attack with .8 vs boss armor. The problem comes with connecting these hits on a moving boss. If you can actually hit a boss then the warpick is the superior choice with its super charged attacks but realistically i think you'll likely be doing light attacks in which case it seems like the 2h hammer wins out.

Are you looking at "Boss Armor" or "Monsters/Resistant" (forget what the sheet calls it now)? Roger, Spawn, Troll, and Stormfiend are all Monster/Resistant class. Boss Armor is for Storm's front parts and Chaos Warriors...and Mauler heads only I believe.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Tried a Champion run with a few friends for the first time the other day. It went... not so well. Definitely picked up too many bad habits in Vet when it comes to hordes and stuff. It might take a bit of grinding to turn the corner.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Imo the two biggest killers of Champ runs are Patrols (either being aggro'ed stupidly or just having one stroll in over the nearest wall in the middle of another fight) and people being lackadaisical about positioning against Hordes. You really need to look for favorable terrain once the bells start going off or you're all going to take a ton of chip damage from having slaves on too many sides to manage. One of those isn't going to wipe the team outright, but if the team's getting significantly worn down every time a Horde spawns your odds of just dying as soon as something slightly bad happens goes up dramatically. This also makes doing 3 guys + a pubbie runs real dicey, since you kinda have to play your positioning around the guy who isn't on the same page as everyone else. If they've got their head on and run for the nearest doorway when the bells start tolling you'll be alright, but if they're rolling with the Stand Wherever meta you don't get good options.

Boss + Horde is also super punishing if you have a team that doesn't just gib pinkies, since a boss is going to force you all to spread out in the open.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, that's the biggest change from Vet to Champion, avoiding damage and positioning (which are closely related) are suddenly much more important. You can be high DPS or whatever, and you need to be if you don't want to get overwhelmed, but if you neglect these two factors you will go down anyway.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Uhhh, just leave the pubbie to die if they don't join you for a horde. They are a glorified bot

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Drythe posted:

just leave

I've done this a lot.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Drythe posted:

Uhhh, just leave the pubbie to die if they don't join you for a horde. They are a glorified bot

Bots will stand next to you when a Horde comes, have a sixth sense for special sniping, and if there's three of you then you don't even have to try tricking them into picking up a book.

The Bot is straight better, but you don't get Quickplay bonus.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Voyager I posted:

Boss + Horde is also super punishing if you have a team that doesn't just gib pinkies, since a boss is going to force you all to spread out in the open.

Pretty much it’s this that’s been the most game ending of Champ runs. Getting a patrol/hooked and tornado up in your rear end during boss(esp Troll)+horde is really the only thing that ends my runs. Otherwise it’s really not much harder than Vet other than allies now block shots (but FF is mostly trivial)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I realized what mod I want to make when the SDK gets released.

Replace all enemy sounds with the Tim Allen grunt. Then inversely replace all of Kerillian's sounds with it.

*Rasknitt appears*
*tim allen grunt*

The possibilities are endless.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
More games need a mod like this.

https://youtu.be/jwxN8sCIOOE

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Lunethex posted:

I've done this a lot.

I dunno what it is about this game specifically, but in most games I'm all too happy to leave if I think the team sucks and has no chance.... except this one. Not only is it kind of fun just to push your limits and see how far you can go with a sub-par team, but it's also a game where there is no unstable equilibrium and comebacks are entirely possible. Just last night my group was doing the elf forest and got off to a really bad start which left the dwarf dead before we even reached the skaven caves. The elf immediately quit without a word.... and we promptly turned things around, got all books, and won handily.

Now, if people aren't just bad but actively being assholes, that's another story.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I host games and quit if people do things like ignore pickups after I tell them about it or don't communicate while also making an effort to drag bots away from me (if it's just one person who joined and nobody else for the immediate moment) which puts me on my own etc. There are games you can pull back from but the reasons I quit are always related to not getting any cooperation out of people.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I had a wonderful experience yesterday that began as a terrible experience.

I QP into a Champ game of Against the Grain. At the beginning of the level, the handmaiden writes "Dont die" in chat, and has nearly run out of frame by the time I can see our characters. I quickly mash F2 to catch up to him, but this elf is absolutely TEARING rear end through the cornfield already. We tried our very best to keep up but we could not outspeed the mobs (and he could). He leaves the rest of us with a horde and many specials to deal with as he bolts over the wall, through the barn and out into the orchard. We complained as we were torn apart, and i almost left then. But I clearly had so much to learn from this speedrunning elf, who was whirling around, weaving back-and-side dodges like i've never seen before. I was glued to my screen.

At one point the elf catches up to me tied up in the orchard, starts picking me up, and dashes away, leaving a humongous horde in his wake which crushed me unceremoniously almost the instant I awoke. I could only laugh and keep watching. Hunter Kruber, meanwhile, had just gone rogue, stealthing himself away from everyone and somehow keeping himself alive through force of will (and purple drink) alone.

The handmaiden caught up to me again behind the barn, rezzed me, and this time I did my best to emulate his backdodge dance. I managed to dance my way over to the caravan and res saltzpyre before the horde (and patrol and rat ogre) overcame us. The elf laughed and continued on into the farm.

The third time he picked me up I managed to actually keep up with him until the end of the level (and went back for kruber, who had by this time made it to the sawmill). He was clearly impressed by our plucky spirit or somesuch, because he invited Kruber and I to Legend, where he spent the next few rounds teaching us how to speedrun. I didn't get any reds, but I had a blast and learned a lot. It's funny how life can surprise you.

My personal highlight of the evening was dodging seven consecutive leech attacks as I barreled through the orchard as fast as my runty little dwarf legs would carry me

Good times

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 18, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Backhand posted:

I dunno what it is about this game specifically, but in most games I'm all too happy to leave if I think the team sucks and has no chance.... except this one. Not only is it kind of fun just to push your limits and see how far you can go with a sub-par team, but it's also a game where there is no unstable equilibrium and comebacks are entirely possible. Just last night my group was doing the elf forest and got off to a really bad start which left the dwarf dead before we even reached the skaven caves. The elf immediately quit without a word.... and we promptly turned things around, got all books, and won handily.

Now, if people aren't just bad but actively being assholes, that's another story.

I've said it before, the best games are the ones where you almost lose. Those are the runs are you remember.

I much, much prefer having to carry an inexperienced but well-meaning player over playing with a speedrunning rear end in a top hat who is technically good.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ignite Memories posted:

...enjoyable rounds teaching us to speedrun.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I have absolutely no desire to do speedruns in this game. I want a slow, gritty, dungeon crawl. Playing with people who are just trying to go as fast as possible stresses me out and ruins my enjoyment of the game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Earlier I had a full book Champ Righteous Stand game go bad in the final area: as I went into the final tome cave to pick it up, the rest of the team was waiting outside and got hit by a Chaos horde and apparently a Chaos patrol as well. They go down as I hold out in the cave, one of them doing the usual "..." I've come to expect from Asian pubbies when poo poo goes wrong. I somehow pull off a clutch survival thanks to the good old Halberd and my morale shout active just barely going off on my final sliver of health, and I managed to haul rear end to the temple to rescue everyone and net us a Merchant's Chest (whatever, I'll take the greens).

That game had the usual overachiever Elf going for all the books, shooting everything, Glaive Shade, etc etc. I'm pretty sure the main reason they beefed it was because one or two of them tried to clear out the final heals and ammo area instead of sticking close to the cave, especially when the horde timer was due since there usually is one final one at that area.

Contrast a previous game where this one pubbie team I ended up with was a legit example of pubstars coming together and playing like some esports team. No chat whatsoever apart from "ty" from heals and special saves, no rushing ahead, everyone taking positions to cover each other; and all of it culminating in "ggwps" at the end with full books. It was an extremely surreal experience, considering the usual crop of pubbies I encounter regularly here.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I have absolutely no desire to do speedruns in this game. I want a slow, gritty, dungeon crawl. Playing with people who are just trying to go as fast as possible stresses me out and ruins my enjoyment of the game.

It's completely stupid and will often lead to a wipe as your team is spread out. It's always a bad sign when you see someone F2'ing and sprinting off into the distance during the intro despite the rest of the team clearly not following.

In this game, you need to balance moving ahead at a steady pace with constantly looking behind you and regrouping from time to time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Agreed, I think that's a lot more fun and I absolutely do not understand the people who seem to want to play this game solely as a box opening simulator.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Voyager I posted:

Imo the two biggest killers of Champ runs are Patrols (either being aggro'ed stupidly or just having one stroll in over the nearest wall in the middle of another fight) and people being lackadaisical about positioning against Hordes. You really need to look for favorable terrain once the bells start going off or you're all going to take a ton of chip damage from having slaves on too many sides to manage. One of those isn't going to wipe the team outright, but if the team's getting significantly worn down every time a Horde spawns your odds of just dying as soon as something slightly bad happens goes up dramatically. This also makes doing 3 guys + a pubbie runs real dicey, since you kinda have to play your positioning around the guy who isn't on the same page as everyone else. If they've got their head on and run for the nearest doorway when the bells start tolling you'll be alright, but if they're rolling with the Stand Wherever meta you don't get good options.

This pretty much sums up all the ways we got wrecked. We picked a bad spot and took some chip damage from the first horde. For the next horde we tried to learn our lesson and thought we could make it to more favourable ground but got caught halfway and ate a lot of damage. We managed to stabilise but used all our healing (it still wasn't enough) so when we ran into a Rat Ogre that was joined by a patrol midway through they crushed us into the dirt in record time. We could've kited the ogre easily enough if we had seen the patrol coming but we didn't spot it until too late. Before we started I thought we were ready for Champion, turns out we're really bad at the game still!

Being less capable of cleaving through hordes made things much tougher. I had just started getting smug about hordes being "free health" too :smith:

Phlegmish posted:

I've said it before, the best games are the ones where you almost lose. Those are the runs are you remember.

I much, much prefer having to carry an inexperienced but well-meaning player over playing with a speedrunning rear end in a top hat who is technically good.
Agreed. During a later run we had an unfortunate chaos spawn + horde in a tunnel that wrecked us pretty badly. I was handling the horde but the chaos spawn trapped and killed the rest of the party. I tried to solo it before deciding to just run like hell. What felt like half the map later I managed to pick up my team mates and we took it down in the open and finished the map. Lost a grim during the whole palaver but it was probably the most memorable run we've had so far. Good times.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

I QP into a Champ game of Against the Grain. At the beginning of the level, the handmaiden writes "Dont die" in chat, and has nearly run out of frame by the time I can see our characters. I quickly mash F2 to catch up to him, but this elf is absolutely TEARING rear end through the cornfield already. We tried our very best to keep up but we could not outspeed the mobs (and he could). He leaves the rest of us with a horde and many specials to deal with as he bolts over the wall, through the barn and out into the orchard. We complained as we were torn apart, and i almost left then. But I clearly had so much to learn from this speedrunning elf, who was whirling around, weaving back-and-side dodges like i've never seen before. I was glued to my screen.

At one point the elf catches up to me tied up in the orchard, starts picking me up, and dashes away, leaving a humongous horde in his wake which crushed me unceremoniously almost the instant I awoke. I could only laugh and keep watching. Hunter Kruber, meanwhile, had just gone rogue, stealthing himself away from everyone and somehow keeping himself alive through force of will (and purple drink) alone.

The handmaiden caught up to me again behind the barn, rezzed me, and this time I did my best to emulate his backdodge dance. I managed to dance my way over to the caravan and res saltzpyre before the horde (and patrol and rat ogre) overcame us. The elf laughed and continued on into the farm.

The third time he picked me up I managed to actually keep up with him until the end of the level (and went back for kruber, who had by this time made it to the sawmill). He was clearly impressed by our plucky spirit or somesuch, because he invited Kruber and I to Legend, where he spent the next few rounds teaching us how to speedrun. I didn't get any reds, but I had a blast and learned a lot. It's funny how life can surprise you.

My personal highlight of the evening was dodging seven consecutive leech attacks as I barreled through the orchard as fast as my runty little dwarf legs would carry me

Good times

This strikes me as an utterly unfun and contemptuous way to play, but pass on what you learned here.

How does one become the absolute worst teammate in a champion and legend game possible?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

That sounds fun and all but,

The speedrun meme is absolutely the most toxic thing coursing through the V2 community at the moment. The best speedrunners are solo players and those trying to emulate them don't always realize it's not optimal in a group. It favors the front player and fucks the slowest players and while it's great when it works it turns an enjoyable combat game into a frantic rush to keep up with the "best" player who is often better at finding ways to make other people deal with their problems than actually playing the game.

Moreover this isn't L4D and speedrunning doesn't really increase your odds of success any. It has it's own pitfalls that fill gently caress you way more than just playing the game like normal.

You do you but don't expect other people to play that way.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
How do speed runners even deal with the green rear end in a top hat walls on monster spawn? Do you skip them somehow if you're fast enough, or do they just abandon the game if that happens?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I thought the AI director actively tries to gently caress you if you attempt to speedrun and not try to gently caress the players being left in the dust.

Also, how does a speedrunner even succeed? Do they just get to the portal bubble and wait until everyone else dies?

poo poo should fail if you don't get all four out like the PVE event in Overwatch fails everyone if even one of you doesn't get to the drop ship at the end.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

AndyElusive posted:

poo poo should fail if you don't get all four out like the PVE event in Overwatch fails everyone if even one of you doesn't get to the drop ship at the end.

This is really stupid and your vindictiveness is starting to show.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

I thought the AI director actively tries to gently caress you if you attempt to speedrun and not try to gently caress the players being left in the dust.

Also, how does a speedrunner even succeed? Do they just get to the portal bubble and wait until everyone else dies?

The game does gently caress with players who are alone, yes. I think this just adds to the frustration. Also generally since the group is usually struggling to keep up, the lead player is rarely "alone."

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TheRagamuffin posted:

How do speed runners even deal with the green rear end in a top hat walls on monster spawn? Do you skip them somehow if you're fast enough, or do they just abandon the game if that happens?
With the whatnow? Green rear end in a top hat walls?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

My vidictiveness towards speedrunners is showing? Oh heaven forbid.

And not letting them portal out without the other three members of their team is a stupid idea. So I'm talking to a speedrunner, right?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Ravenfood posted:

With the whatnow? Green rear end in a top hat walls?

I'm not even sure what circumstances cause it to happen, but sometimes the game spawns a wall of green fire or similar to keep you from moving forward while a monster is spawned.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Zigmidge posted:

I’ve honestly never been in a game where someone speedruns ahead and it doesn’t turn out detrimental for everyone involved.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
You guys are so pent up about something you can just leave a game for that you can't enjoy a good post for what it was.

Ignite Memories posted:

Good times

AndyElusive, don't forget to breathe.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Nice meltdowns

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Uh, I'm not even really directing any of this speedrunner vitriol at anyone here so I'm not sure why you're worried about my blood pressure.

Sure, we could all just quit out of games involving a speedrunner but that's not really fixing the problem. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They call it “rush prevention” but the implementation is more of a karma system for pubbie elves in general, since if everyone speedruns together they won’t trigger it—all it does is spawn poo poo next to a player who is too far away from any other character, if there’s another player in the game.