Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

howe_sam posted:

It seemed to me like it wasn't so much detachment as it was roasting Philip after he tried to interject himself into Paige's spy education.

You'd *think* that, but she seemed entirely unconcerned about Henry having to leave his school in his senior year. Of course, *she* never had a "senior year" by American standards, but I took from that exchange that she clearly does not care about Henry as much as she does Paige, specifically for the reason that Paige is more valuable to ~the Rodina~.

My guess is Philip is going to get forced back into operational status under the proviso that the Center starts figuring out a way to funnel them extra cash to help make ends meet.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Elizabeth was just being a mouthpiece for the audience

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
That stare down between them in front of Paige was incredible.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Paige's naivete is cute.

Pa: "He killed himself. Mom tried to stop him. :shrug:"
Ph: "Riiiiiiight...why do you think he did that? (pause) Why did he kill himself, Elizabeth? I'm sure there's a reason."
:ussr:: "You'd have to ask him."
Pa: "Sometimes, bad things happen in the world, and-- :shrug:"

She's not cut out for this no matter how much Elizabeth wants it to be, and it looks like Liz is realizing this.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Oh hey she's back :ohdear:

Everything about the Kimmie plotline has been gross from the word go and unpleasant to watch.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Everything about the Kimmie plotline has been gross from the word go and unpleasant to watch.

If you saw the teaser for next week's episode it's only going to get worse.

So, with the time jump are we rightly assuming that both Paige and Kimmy are 21 now?
It looks like Elizabeth is going to force the issue with Phillip and force him into keeping her home from Greece with the promise the "relationship" she wanted back when she was a minor. This is going to break an already broken Phillip.

This whole episode was just gut punch after gut punch of failures and tension. Seeing Elizabeth social engineer her way into that World Series party only to have it get devastatingly awkward was pretty brutal.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Paige is younger than Kimmie by a year or two isn't she?

CBJSprague24 posted:

And based on the previews it's about to get more unpleasant. Although I did like the shift in their relationship. It felt like Kimmie was more in control of their dynamic.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

CBJSprague24 posted:

JESUS SAVES

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

canyoneer posted:

And she embarrassed that poor, dying woman for nothing.

The cancer patient wife is painful to watch, but Liz getting puked on was karma.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Phillip v Elizabeth is getting more intense now. "Mom said he killed himself. He was troubled." :v: Oh poor sweet Paige. Totally expecting Paige's attempt to get the intern as a source to blow up in her face.
Maybe it already did, she just had time to clean up :pervert:

Which St. Edwards did they send Henry to? The one in Oxford? Now my only dependents are some fish and shrimp but I'd probably want to drop this kind of news in person.

Really curious to see how Liz is gonna explain it when Paige inevitibly hears on the news that like three people were murdered during an attempted burglary at the warehouse. Maybe they shot themselves in confusion after she already left!

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Paige is younger than Kimmie by a year or two isn't she?

I feel super creeper trying to figure out an age, but anyway ... there's the implication that she's in college since she's home on the weekend and wasn't planning on coming home for Thanksgiving tied with the whole comment about "Dating a junior" so yeah maybe not 21, but the show's intention is 18+. Phillip obviously still has issues about it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Kingtheninja posted:

That stare down between them in front of Paige was incredible.

Yeah, that was great. I've definitely been on the receiving end of that stare. :newlol:

Also, Phil's coke dealer Todd Rundgren disguise for Kimmie has been missed.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

mobby_6kl posted:

Really curious to see how Liz is gonna explain it when Paige inevitibly hears on the news that like three people were murdered during an attempted burglary at the warehouse. Maybe they shot themselves in confusion after she already left!
Hell, I've been wondering how she explained away the murdered soldier dude in episode 1!

Also drat, I loved the "altogether too dark" infiltration scene. It was a pretty bold experiment and I thought it worked.

I am also digging the - I guess - medium burn this season has going for it. Just escalating tension every episode.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Solid Snake Elizabeth was a great scene, even if there was a couple times where I just couldn’t see anything (obviously carefully planned cinematography). Thankfully a HDR screen helped with the espionage action in darkness vibe. It’s really interesting how Liz’s plan to steal the sensor by by force was doomed to failure before she even stepped into the warehouse. Too many guards, too much darkness, too many unknowns based on what little info the Russians were able to dredge up. Liz could have been in the right section and the sensor was just out of her reach or she was nowhere close to a box of the sensors. It would have been hilarious if she grabbed something that seemed right but turned out to be the wrong sensor (Claudia would have been thrilled... no more Russian homecooking for a month as punishment).

This fancy radiation sensor is turning into a good old fashioned MacGuffin. Elizabeth risked her daughter and the other Russian agents for the stupid thing and she couldn’t find it. She’s risking Paige’s clean background required for second generation agent. The show is doing a good job depicting the effects of stress on Liz’s plans and execution of the plans.

And about the end of the episode that montage was fantastic despite being low key. You see how things may be lining up. Countdown until Paige tries to steal that guys security badge and have something go wrong

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Henry is your project, not mine. You can speak to my project if you want" was a bit cold.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
So i’m flipping through the channels just now and I see a new show featuring Adrian Veidt and Phillip Jennings traveling the world, engaging in various wine-based activities.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dwarf74 posted:

Hell, I've been wondering how she explained away the murdered soldier dude in episode 1!

Also drat, I loved the "altogether too dark" infiltration scene. It was a pretty bold experiment and I thought it worked.

I am also digging the - I guess - medium burn this season has going for it. Just escalating tension every episode.
One of the dozen random murders in DC :shrug: Probably wouldn't even make the news, this is a massive break-in and murder at a defense contractor with top secret poo poo.

The infiltration scene was cool but I couldn't stop worrying if I was missing something because of my projector which isn't as great with contrast in dark scenes as latest TVs.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'd watch an entire spinoff about Elizabeth trying to get art

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
The failure of the travel agency will disillusion Philip from capitalism/the US, and he will rededicate himself to the USSR's cause with a zeal that will outstrip Elizabeth's. Stan talking about how great a government salary was was foreshadowing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

mr. unhsib posted:

The failure of the travel agency will disillusion Philip from capitalism/the US, and he will rededicate himself to the USSR's cause with a zeal that will outstrip Elizabeth's. Stan talking about how great a government salary was was foreshadowing.

Both of them doing a 180 would be hilarious. Phillip goes hard for the cause and Elizabeth becomes, in her words, a bourgie artist :v:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I'm going through all the seasons again, and I'd forgotten how royally hosed Nina gets, then her trial and execution scene. Just the denial of appeal and a bullet to the back of her head.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I'm going through all the seasons again, and I'd forgotten how royally hosed Nina gets, then her trial and execution scene. Just the denial of appeal and a bullet to the back of her head.

At least she wasn't made to suffer and overly contemplate her fate over a long period of appeals, never knowing when death will come.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Nina was such a tragic plot line, goddamn.

Curious where you goons put this show in terms of rankings. I think it is one of the best shows on right now, hopefully they end it well because I'm really looking forward to binging the whole series again.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've watched The Americans since the beginning, and even though it's a great show anchored by two amazing leads, when I make a list of my top ten shows of the year, it never makes the cut. There's always something more fun that keeps it out, or something grittier, with higher stakes, or a show with more likable characters or a more engaging story arc. But so far, this last season is one of the best ones, and I'm almost positive it will rank.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It's in my top ten overall series, easy. Probably in the upper half of it, really.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like it a lot but overall it might be like, top 20. I’d have to sit down and think about it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If you're asking whether I'd rank it as one of the best shows of the year, I'd say yes -- barring the fifth season, which I thought was a real let down.

If you're asking whether I'd rank it as one of the best shows of all time, then no. I don't have a strong attachment to the characters, and the show has never been as playful as most of my favourites. Plus it depends entirely on how they land the thing.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 22, 2018

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
In general, Top 100 of All Time.

If you like espionage and/or slow-boilers, Top 10 of All Time -- easy.

Btw, check out Patriot on Amazon Prime Video. It's like The Americans meets Burn After Reading. Honorable mention to the best technobabble I've ever seen. Straight up, it is the best I've ever seen.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

At least she wasn't made to suffer and overly contemplate her fate over a long period of appeals, never knowing when death will come.

If I were sentenced to death, I think I'd appreciate the immediacy. It looks brutal and hardcore but I think I'd prefer that.

The worst system I've heard of is Japan's. You don't know when it's happening. Your family doesn't know when it's happening. You just wait and wait and one day, surprise it's finally over. The family is notified several days later.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 22, 2018

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've watched The Americans since the beginning, and even though it's a great show anchored by two amazing leads, when I make a list of my top ten shows of the year, it never makes the cut. There's always something more fun that keeps it out, or something grittier, with higher stakes, or a show with more likable characters or a more engaging story arc. But so far, this last season is one of the best ones, and I'm almost positive it will rank.

What are watching where this show doesn't even break top 10? I can't find 10 shows a year that even look interesting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
liz is worse than walter white holy poo poo :stare:

this is loving amazing television, we are not worth this

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's ok. I mainly watch for seeing Elizabeth's world crumble around her.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Really??? I thought that whole episode was just stunning. The Philip-Oleg conversation has been coming and it did not disappoint, on either end. Philip almost asking Stan for help with Henry's tuition because he knows Stan would do it in a heartbeat. The entire montage at the end. Goddamn it was insane how good this ep was.

edit: Stan said "no alimony". That's highly unusual, was it explained in any way earlier? Like did his wife have a really good job? Or is it because the divorce was her idea and so she probably agreed to "no alimony"?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Remarrying seems most likely.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wants Stans wife with some other dude before they divorced? That would prob explain it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accretionist posted:

Remarrying seems most likely.

Duh, I didn't even think of that. Yep, that would do it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Going off of memory, but I think her new boyfriend/husband was pretty well off, and with the whole EST thing she wanted a healthy break. Plus Stan still thought her could win her back, so "no alimony, just sign the drat papers" was a good way to get him to leave.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
This is definitely one of my favorite shows of all time. I'd put it up there with Justified (which also had its one lame season).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I am very apprehensive about this episode :ohdear:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
History lesson with grandma Claudia :mil101:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

They do have a legit gripe at how the US teaches WW2.

And yay, Red Wings.

e: Sweet tap dancing Christ Elizabeth that is your play with Kimmy? :stonk:

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yeaaaaa this is gonna go horribly wrong

• Locked thread