Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Who's the bundler? Fanatical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Who's the bundler? Fanatical?

Indiegala.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/12/22/14064002/insurgency-indiegala-islamophobic-tweet

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Jamfrost posted:

Where is the full list of games they examined?

They're not saying. I skimmed an article which said that the gambling commission got in touch with the game's makers and gave then 8 weeks to fix their games, otherwise they'd be fined and/or banned. If they didn't meet the deadline, then the games would be named publicly. From what I can see, the 4 games that the NOS (a news organization) named are just speculation, they were not actually named by the gambling commission itself.

Edit: The 6 games which passed the legality test are only legal because you cannot trade the items which you win from the loot boxes. The gambling commission still has a lot of criticism about those games, but they haven't broken the law.

Edit2: Link to the article (in Dutch) https://nos.nl/artikel/2228041-populaire-games-overtreden-gokregels.html

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 19, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Stellaris trip report: I played on a tiny, tiny map and enjoyed it yesterday - I made more progress in understanding the game and what it wants me to do, but this morning I looked at the Stellaris thread, and apparently the AI for the latest patch is absolutely busted, so....

Welp.

I'm going to try watching the Distant Worlds tutorial videos again, see if I can't crack that nut instead while I have the "play a space 4X" bug. I like Stellaris more, I'm still a dummy at it but I'm getting better at understanding its rhythms (play on fastest speed at ALL times, and still bring a book along to read when it's slow) and I had a lot of fun yesterday!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Posted in the deals thread but this'll do the most "good" here:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Stellaris trip report: I played on a tiny, tiny map and enjoyed it yesterday - I made more progress in understanding the game and what it wants me to do, but this morning I looked at the Stellaris thread, and apparently the AI for the latest patch is absolutely busted, so....

Welp.

I'm going to try watching the Distant Worlds tutorial videos again, see if I can't crack that nut instead while I have the "play a space 4X" bug. I like Stellaris more, I'm still a dummy at it but I'm getting better at understanding its rhythms (play on fastest speed at ALL times, and still bring a book along to read when it's slow) and I had a lot of fun yesterday!

Note that with Stellaris you can go back to any previous version at any time with Steam. 2.02 is an extensively beta tested patch that is rock solid - that's the version to play until the issues with 2.03 are sorted out.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Every time a new sailing game comes out that isn't a modern Sid Meier's Pirates! sandbox, I die a little inside.

I just want a modern Pirates! game :negative: (That doesn't suck)

A co worker said similar, Sadly I was on console when that came out so I never got the joy of that game.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

They're not saying. I skimmed an article which said that the gambling commission got in touch with the game's makers and gave then 8 weeks to fix their games, otherwise they'd be fined and/or banned. If they didn't meet the deadline, then the games would be named publicly. From what I can see, the 4 games that the NOS (a news organization) named are just speculation, they were not actually named by the gambling commission itself.

Edit: The 6 games which passed the legality test are only legal because you cannot trade the items which you win from the loot boxes. The gambling commission still has a lot of criticism about those games, but they haven't broken the law.

Edit2: Link to the article (in Dutch) https://nos.nl/artikel/2228041-populaire-games-overtreden-gokregels.html
Google Translated:

quote:

Popular games violate Dutch gambling rules. They have elements in them that can also be found in the gambling world, judges the Gaming Authority.
It is about the phenomenon of loot boxes. These are treasure chests that players can buy with extra items in them, such as clothing or weapons. Players who buy the treasure boxes do not know in advance what object they will receive. Who wants to get a very rare object, has to buy a lot of treasure boxes.
The Dutch Gaming Authority investigated ten popular games with these loot boxes. In four of the games examined, digital prices were sold for euro via external trading places.

Because the prices can be traded, they get an economic value. Players can earn money if they get a rare item. As a result, the games violate the rules of chance. They are designed as gambling games are designed.
Marja Appelman, Gaming Authority
"They are designed as gambling games are designed, with the feeling that you have almost won," says Marja Appelman, director of the Gaming Authority. "There are all sorts of sound effects and visual effects when you open such a loot box, so you have a tendency to play through and through."

The Gaming Authority gives the game makers eight weeks to adjust their games. If this is not followed, the regulator can impose fines or prohibit the sale of the game in due course.

In the study, the Gaming Authority does not mention names of games that violate the rules. If the games are not modified, the names will be announced.
The regulator has looked at the most popular games with loot boxes. If the items can be traded, the games are in violation. This applies in any case to these popular games: Fifa18, Dota2, PubG and Rocket League. Behind those games are the companies EA, Valve, PubG Corporation and Psyonix.

In the six other games, the prizes from the loot boxes can not be traded and therefore do not violate the gambling law. Nevertheless, the Gaming Authority also criticizes these games. Opening the virtual boxes is very similar to gambling with a fruit machine or roulette.
Young people in particular would be particularly vulnerable because their brains are still developing. They could later become gambling addicts sooner. Game makers do nothing to protect young people against themselves, concludes the Gaming Authority.
Game makers now have to take responsibility themselves to protect children better, according to the regulator. "I call on all game companies not to make loot boxes accessible to children anymore and to remove addictive elements," says Appelman.

For example, a box in the popular game Rocket League costs 1.49 euros. For game companies, the loot boxes are a great source of income.

According to research agency Juniper Research, large companies are earning some 24 billion euros this year from the virtual treasuries. If no regulation takes place, the market is expected to grow in 2022 to a turnover of 40 billion euros per year.

Abroad
Research into loot boxes is also being carried out in other European countries. "This is the subject that gambling authorities across Europe are talking about", says Appelman. "From Scandinavia, Germany to Great Britain."

The Gaming Authority wants to go along with European colleagues to counter the lottery boxes.

I'm all for reigning in lootboxes but Rocket League feels like one of the more benign lootboxes.
While you can trade items in these games, the only way to do that is in-game. There's no directly-linked Steam Marketplace price attached to the item and a SELL/BUY NOW button for your crates and items like a Dota/CS/PUBG (How does console PUBG handle trading?).
Rocket League has you go to 3rd party sites like https://www.rltprices.com , search/post a trade, contact the person, find the time to both fire up the game and finally do the trade.

Personally I think Overwatch is the worst of the lot. The fact that you can buy a bunch of crates for cashmoney then pull a duplicate and all you get back is a tiny fraction of funbux that the dev tells you how much it's worth.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The Kins posted:

From the "Just Announced, But They Teased It Years Ago During A Humble Bundle And It Looked Completely Different Back Then So Clearly Some poo poo's Happened" files...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q33N833aPX4
Finally going to the planet where they manufactured every hitscan weapon and destroy them forever.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Overwatch’s system seems like one of the most benning to me since you can just ignore it completely without missing anything and get a bunch for just playing anyway.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Turd Herder posted:

A co worker said similar, Sadly I was on console when that came out so I never got the joy of that game.

Maybe if you were cool enough to have a Mega Drive/Genesis. Or uh, Xbox and PSP for the remake I guess.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Avalerion posted:

Overwatch’s system seems like one of the most benning to me since you can just ignore it completely without missing anything and get a bunch for just playing anyway.

more importantly you can't trade nor sell them to other people for cash money which is the entire crux of the legal declaration so i don't know what he's on about

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 19, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Kins posted:

From the "Just Announced, But They Teased It Years Ago During A Humble Bundle And It Looked Completely Different Back Then So Clearly Some poo poo's Happened" files...

Hopefully this time it isn't the leftovers of a MODERN MILITARY SHOOTER they converted into a Serious Sam game after the publisher cancelled. Also how did they tease it a while ago? I missed that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Hopefully this time it isn't the leftovers of a MODERN MILITARY SHOOTER they converted into a Serious Sam game after the publisher cancelled. Also how did they tease it a while ago? I missed that.
They had a piece of concept art on a Humble Bundle page waaaay back in 2013.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

A battle royale with lasers and chainguns and poo poo would actually be pretty sweet.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

As long as the hit scan enemies and insanely boring urban corridor shooter segments are no longer anywhere to be found, I'm on board.
Judging by the name and the presence of vehicles, it'll either go fully open world or just back to the huge levels of games past.

And hopefully this isn't another prequel, I want to kill Mental drat it.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 19, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

The last two big multiplayer fads were MOBAs and team shooters, both of which wound up encouraging unbearably hypercompetitve and toxic communities. Battle royale games are the complete opposite, you're not stuck forced to listen to some rage golem jibber uncontrollably for 30 minutes straight about how it's everyone else's fault that they aren't winning and if you do lose then you can immediately join a new game instead being forced to waste your time playing out a match you have no chance of winning.

Also if you look at top players they consistently make it into the last 20 or so every time, luck is just the one scapegoat people who are bad at the game can cling to now that they don't have teammates to yell at.

As someone who plays lots of ranked in a big Moba. I totally agree. I don't know about Dota2 but in LoL the earliest u can FF is 15 minutes or 3 minutes if u had a dc. I have rarely seen anyone ff at 15 because it requires all 5 players in your team to say yes. In the 20 min FF it can be 4/5 so it is more likely there will be a ff post 20 mins. So most games are like 25-30 minutes(queue times, champ select, loading time) guaranteed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Kins posted:

please don't be 50% making fun of a modern gaming trend at the cost of its own quality again, Sam I am

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ulio posted:

As someone who plays lots of ranked in a big Moba. I totally agree. I don't know about Dota2 but in LoL the earliest u can FF is 15 minutes or 3 minutes if u had a dc. I have rarely seen anyone ff at 15 because it requires all 5 players in your team to say yes. In the 20 min FF it can be 4/5 so it is more likely there will be a ff post 20 mins. So most games are like 25-30 minutes(queue times, champ select, loading time) guaranteed.

You can't forfeit at all in dota lol

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Has there been any talk of Fallout 5, and if Obsidian has any part in writing?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've never touched the MOBA stuff except for the baby's first version that blizzard put out that some of my friends love to death despite the fact it's basically multiplayer pinball, is it true that DOTA2 matches were getting so long and onerous that they had to introduce an entirely new game mode that cuts playtimes in half from a 60 minute average to the low, low time investment of 30 minutes

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
60 min was never the average, that's more like 40-45 min, but you would definitely get games going past an hour sometimes. Turbo mode was added more as just a fun diversion and as a way of trying to rope retired players back in as the game's average player count slowly declines.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Scalding Coffee posted:

Finally going to the planet where they manufactured every hitscan weapon and destroy them forever.

This is an underappreciated post. Hitscan enemies drag every Serious Sam game down.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

did serious sam 1 or second encounter have any hitscan enemies? those are the only two i played and i don't remember any

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

buglord posted:

Short answer no and never

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

buglord posted:

I don't think Obsidian is ever working with Bethesda again after they got screwed

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

did serious sam 1 or second encounter have any hitscan enemies? those are the only two i played and i don't remember any

I don’t think so. Higher difficulties meant projectiles moved really fast but I don’t remember any hitscan.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Cowcaster posted:

I want to say POSSIBLY the Arachnoids were hitscan but I think I remember them just rapid firing lasers that you could still dodge?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

And the rumour goes that someone at Bethesda was resentful that New Vegas was better received by the public than FO3, so neither party wants anything to do with each other.

Ulio posted:

FF? Urban Dictionary is giving me this, and I assume it's not any of them.

#1. Fist loving- the act of stuffing a fist up a pussy *owch*
#2. Foot loving- a type of masturbation that women do to their male partners dick.
#3. Final fantasy- a game played by geeks, such as my boyfriend, that I should probably learn to play.
#4. Fan Fiction- a type of writing that uses already made characters from books and movies and such that have sex
#5. Father fucker- a person who likes to gently caress their dad/friend's dad.
#6. loving freak- ... me...

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

buglord posted:

I think Bethesda likes running their cash-shop games, and porting the same loving game to one billion systems. On the plus side, Fallout 5 will probably be a Nathan Drake style game about a snarky gamer dad rescuing their kid, so you probably don't even want it anyway.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Todd Howard gets on a step stool at the next E3 to announce the Skyrim F2P Battleground game, using a converted version of Gamebryo.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Samuringa posted:

I don't think Obsidian is ever working with Bethesda again after they got screwed
Obsidian's executives don't seem as bothered as people assume by the Metacritic thing.

quote:

"It was so much after - it all came out the day after we had laid everybody off for Stormlands [the cancelled Xbox One exclusive]," said Urquhart. "That was the day."

"And what can you say?" added Parker. "You can't get mad at somebody for a contract you signed. We signed a contract, it had very clear terms in it. 'Oh we were really close...' We didn't hit it."

"Also," said Urquhart, "we didn't put those terms in there. [Bethesda] added that bonus - we didn't ask for the bonus. We just pretty much ignored it. As an independent developer, any of those Metacritic-type bonuses you just ignore.

"You don't control testing, you don't control promotion, you don't control when the game ships. There are a whole lot of things you don't control. That is in no way - and it's really important for me to say this - an excuse.

"It is more when publishers try to change financial terms based upon things like Metacritic scores we say, 'Look you have as much of an effect over those...' You could ship the same game in the same way with two different publishers and the Metacritic would be different."

But, he concluded, "It was in the contract, it was what it said. We didn't put it in there and we signed it. I wasn't crying over it by any stretch of the imagination."

In addition, Obsidian worked on a pitch for Prey 2 (after Human Head, but before Arkane) at Bethesda's request, so further collaborations certainly haven't been ruled out.

As of a year ago, Obsidian weren't working on any Fallout projects.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Deakul posted:

I want to say POSSIBLY the Arachnoids were hitscan but I think I remember them just rapid firing lasers that you could still dodge?

Oh, yes, they were. But if I recall correctly (though I was just wrong) either the first half-second or so of their firing animation/sound didn’t actually hit you (so you could pop in and out or between cover to avoid them) or they had an audible spin up noise.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

The Arachnoids were hitscan, but also uncommon and usually placed at a distance so it wasn't a big issue. SS3's cloned soldiers were just poo poo.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I revised two of my old reviews today, since both titles are in the current Weeklong Deals. The Count Lucanor is an underappreciated gem in my eyes, bringing the weirdness of old fables to the horror adventure genre. On the other hand, Frankenstein: Master of Death is a hidden object game so impossibly gormless that even I can't enjoy it, and I love clicking on things to find other things. Out of respect for your poor, weary mousewheel finger I'll post The Count Lucanor here and link you to my Frankenstein takedown.

In the ancient, faraway days of my childhood, Nickelodeon would show anime fairy tales every weekday around noon. They were familiar stories but owing to their international source and localization, there we always parts that wandered pretty far afield from the expected. The gentle animation and unusual twists of those halcyon afternoons have stuck with me, and now The Count Lucanor has brought that magic back in a vivid way. Featuring some lush pixel art, unexpected story beats, and a seriously creepy vibe, this is one adventure that fans of the offbeat can’t afford to miss.

Precocious young Hans has tired of his poor peasant life in the woods with his mother, and elects to set off in search of fortune and glory. He soon finds that those woods, so familiar in daylight, become wreathed in terrible magics by night. An evening of terror ends with him at the gates of a mysterious manor belonging to one Count Lucanor, an estate that can pass to Hans if he can but guess the name of the blue kobold steward. To do that he’ll need to search the halls of the enchanted castle, dodging deadly traps and grotesque servants to find the clues which will reveal the treasured name. But riches are not the only reward on the line, as secrets about the reclusive Count and even Hans himself can be revealed in time.

Based on the obscure (to me) fairy tale of the same name, The Count Lucanor bears much the same structure as a classic fable. In his journeys Hans will meet a number of colorful characters, each with their own secrets and their own requests of him. Fulfilling them will likely reward Hans down the line, while spurning them will most assuredly teach him (and you) some hard lessons about kindness. This is where the game steps back in though, providing different approaches to puzzles based on how you’ve treated your companions. Give the old lady a cane, and she’ll reward you with a special item. Keep the cane, and she’ll chastise you but that cane can still be used to skip part of a particular puzzle. Your choices feel like they have weight here, thanks to some snappy writing that lends every character an air of deceptiveness.

Collecting items, solving puzzles, and talking to folks amount to pretty much the entire game. It’s very much an adventure game first, with long treks through the forest and much scurrying around the castle to use new keys and retry confounding puzzles. You have a number of resources to manage, including health to keep from dying, candles to light the pitch-black halls, and gold coins for both purchasing important items and saving your game. That last bit actually adds a fair bit of tension and horror to the game, because you want to hold out as long as you can without saving but there are absolutely some things in the castle which will kill you stone dead. Hearing them traipse about in the darkness or spot you from the shadows can get your blood pumping thanks to some excellent atmosphere, and later areas ratchet up the sense of doom significantly.

Bear in mind this isn’t a long or particularly dense game, but what there is happens to be top-notch. You’ll probably finish it up in about three hours or so, with the meat of the game spread across two main areas and then bookended by the intro in the forest and a short (but sweet) conclusion. Lots of serious choices, multiple endings, and plenty of diverse achievements provide reasons to replay the game but the puzzles aren’t really complex or clever enough to hold your attention a second time.

The mystery and horror of The Count Lucanor comes buttoned up in some precious pixel art, which may seem incongruous until you encounter your first severed head. While not as understated as something like The Last Door, the chunky art still evokes plenty of wonder and dread with some very interesting designs. The sound design similarly carries a huge amount of the atmosphere, featuring breezy corridors and guttural grunts from the darkness. It’s not your standard horror adventure fare but it’s all the richer for it, packing plenty of charm and curiosities into a polished package.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 19, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bethesda deserves a little credit in that they don't follow trends. The Elder Scrolls is the only game of its kind, and yeah Fallout is derivative but it's kind of proof that their formula is only something they can produce because they keep selling millions *checks calendar* 7 years afterwards. And if TES: Battle Royale allows them to take bankroll (and probably take a loss) on Prey and The Evil Within yeah I'm totally fine with that.

e: I am of course forgetting all about their Hearthstone/Gwent knock off but that game was a bad dream.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Just wanted to thank everyone for their quick gaming session recommendations. I'm going to check them all out and see what sticks. Most were new to me, but Heat Signature has been on my wishlist since the dev announced it, so I should probably just buy the drat thing.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

The Kins posted:

Obsidian's executives don't seem as bothered as people assume by the Metacritic thing.

In addition, Obsidian worked on a pitch for Prey 2 (after Human Head, but before Arkane) at Bethesda's request, so further collaborations certainly haven't been ruled out.

As of a year ago, Obsidian weren't working on any Fallout projects.
Corporate Diplomacy.txt

I can't say for sure how personally they took it but they're not like inXile who's willing to burn bridges. Obsidian wants to be a big studio (at least their bosses do) and don't really talk poo poo.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

"Obsidian resents getting screwed over" and "Bethesda are jealous of Obsidian's writing" are two of those gaming myths that you see spread around constantly without evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bethesda ought to be jealous of Obsidian’s writing because if they think they’re doing a great job that’s pretty sad