Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seminal Flu posted:

I wish there would be some smart watch development, but it seems utterly stagnant.

Last year I got a Huawei Watch 2 and it was really nice, but limited in its functions. I sent it back and got a Motorola 360 Sport off of eBay for $50 and, for most purposes, it's comparable... meaning... it doesn't do much.

I'd like to have full fitbit-level biometrics, along with good cell phone integration and good battery life, but really it's a watch that happens to notify me of texts and emails and can control the media I'm consuming. There could be so much more...

The answer for a smart watch that does a fuckload AND be a great fitness tracker is always "Buy a Garmin".

Garmin have this poo poo figured out and you can pick and choose exactly what you want from their range. Wait for the end of triathlon season and you can pick up cheap but drat near new devices from the one and done crowd.

Edit : gently caress it, paying a pet toll just because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Anyone else watched Netflix's Lost In Space?

Just finished it tonight, and I have to say, it exceeded my expectations. Really enjoyed it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I'm definitely enjoying watching it between binges of Breaking Bad second run.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I just finished watching the last season of Better Call Saul. Not as good as BB but pretty drat good.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The chicken is the only character in that show that doesn't deserve to die in the most painful way possible.

I mean, it's entertaining, but man are those some dumb, dumb colonists.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I just finished watching the last season of Better Call Saul. Not as good as BB but pretty drat good.

I love BCS. I feel bad for BB fans that went in expecting the same, but oh well I got great character development TV out of it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Locator posted:

All the spots I used to go shooting in the desert around town are full of houses now. Since I live in Buckeye now, there is a nice outdoor range they built a few years ago that's only about 15 minutes from here and I just go there on the rare occasion I actually go shooting. I really should sell off most of my guns, none of them have been fired in like a decade except for the black powder rifle.

Yeah, low desert is either full of houses or so full of garbage it's embarrassing to be there. They actually had to close off Table Mesa a few years ago iirc because of all the garbage shooters were leaving behind lol. Unless you're willing to put in the drive time you're not gonna find anything south of Sunset worthwhile to be. I'm extremely occasional like you but if that's the case I'd rather be out on my own exploring. High desert AZ is real cool imho

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Anyone else watched Netflix's Lost In Space?

Just finished it tonight, and I have to say, it exceeded my expectations. Really enjoyed it.

We plan to start watching it Friday.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Mrs d8 binged the entirety of lost in space and liked it. I'm almost done with better call saul. We both watched all 6 or 7 seasons of death in paradise and it's a fun show with a fair to middlin' ensemble cast and decent writing/dialouge.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Time to take my car in for it's annual roadworthiness check (MOT) - better make sure I am wearing my 'I know things about cars, don't try and screw me' clothes.

Perhaps I'll smear a little axle grease on my cheek to make sure the image is just right.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
A dab of brake fluid behind the ear and fingernails carefully done with that little black line under the edge.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Got a weird letter in the mail today. Appeared hand addressed. No return address. The stamp showed it was mailed from TN.

Opened it anyway. It's a quote from a local dealer for a barebones Mitsubishi Mirage, only options being floor mats and "full tank of gas upon purchase" :laffo:, and a "handwritten" statement saying they need to buy a 2006 Ion. :haw:

They did offer a pretty surprising price on it... $4500 in rebates, bringing it far below $10k, plus offering $1500 for the Saturd (guess they don't know it's wrecked and half stripped), but why the gently caress would I want to drive a base 3 cylinder Mirage when the Saturn they're referring to has power windows/locks/mirrors, keyless entry, an engine with a full liter of displacement over it, and is overall a much more comfortable car?

The new Saturd is in GF's name for now (we'll put it in my name in a few weeks), and isn't linked to me in any way outside of it being on my insurance. The only thing I can come up with is maybe they got some notification from the state that I requested a paper title? Sorry buddy, I'm not gonna drive a base Mirage (.... any Mirage) for $8000. You'd have to pay me to drive it.

Geoj posted:

I took yesterday off to fill out all of the onboarding paperwork for my new job (and because why not, what are they going to do - fire me?) and emailed my resignation around 1 PM once that was complete.

Walked into the office this morning, immediately noticed my laptop was missing from my desk. Manager was waiting, said he got my email and that the company "no longer requires your services, please pack your personal belongings and get out." Packed my poo poo and was frog-marched out the door. Manager did shake my hand and wish me luck in the future, so it wasn't all bad.

So the first job I quit, I emailed a 2 week notice to my manager (I had started as external tech support, then got moved to internal tech support, then started writing training documents, all in less than a year, not bad for babby's first real job!). I had been trying to move to overnights so I could go to college (I was 20 at the time, and the company had tuition reimbursement). They refused, and the classes I wanted to take were all morning (I worked 7a-4p). Going to school was, at the time, more important to me. I was also really bitter because they had "lost" my benefits enrollment paperwork, and refused to fix anything about it.

They didn't walk me out that day, and I worked the full 2 weeks (with a comment about how weird it was to do a mid-week 2 week notice instead of on a Friday?). But at 3:30pm on my last day, security showed up, and demanded to search all of my belongings, and my pockets. My boss walked over laughing, security was laughing, they said they were just busting my balls. No, if they were busting my balls, they wouldn't have patted me down.

Joke's on them, security did a halfassed glance at my backpack. This was before flash drives were common (hell I don't even know if my work PC had USB ports), and my desktop PC there didn't have a CD burner (I had ISDN at home, so I guess I could have emailed everything to myself, on hindsight... they really didn't monitor poo poo, since it was all Win95). I walked out with printed copies of all of the training documentation I wrote. Never did anything with it, they had copies of it all, but if you're going to trust a 19-20 year old to write corporation-wide training documentation, you should expect that poo poo to walk out. Despite that poo poo being 20+ years old, a lot of it still works on modern credit card terminals/PIN pads. :stare:

The company is still very much around (they're a huge company that primarily does marketing and private label credit cards today, used to run their own credit card processing network for a lot of companies you guys would recognize, for which I provided both internal and external tech support, from dumb terminal to CC terminal to point of sale to mainframe applications), I even did support for goddamned gas pumps, but most of what I worked with is long gone from their business model.

Larrymer posted:

Let me know if you found the TSB #. I found something close but doesn't sound exactly like this. Also PM me an email address to send info.

Edit: the one you found doesn't effect a 2006 supposedly. I have it and can still send it though.

Yeah, I had found a lot of the text for the TSB, but no diagrams or templates. The description in the TSB is dead on for what's going on.

I don't know if it's the same cause (casting flash or broken foam clogging the drain), but I'm 99% positive the evaporator box drain is clogged. The evaporator drains into the heater box (as does the cowl), and I've already run it through a car wash without any surprise water from under the dash. It only leaks when I use the AC. I can get a serious waterfall out of the fan motor if I take a hard left turn (the evaporator box sits to the left of the fan, and a bit below). It's also ice cold water. That TSB at least gives me a good starting point on where to cut into the evaporator box without (a) damaging the evaporator and (b) gaining easy access to the drain, and even gives a GM part number for a rubber plug to seal the hole back up. So it's certainly worth a shot; worst case, I've cut a hole into the evaporator box and have a GM p/n for a plug to seal it back up. Oh yeah, (c) don't have to rip the dash out.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Where I work the plant manager meets you outside the building and hands you a letter informing you you are no longer employed. They won't let you in the building to empty your locker, instead of that HR cuts the lock off, dumps your poo poo in a box, and mails it to you.

Anyone have a spare abus lock that'll work with a locker? I imagine this is the scenario I'm going to face when I put in my notice (if any of these wonderful places I've applied to will get back to me), and I think it would be hilarious to offer one last "gently caress you" by using a real bitch of a lock and leaving my locker empty.

I have an old self storage lock (U-Haul branded, but it's a circular lock design that's a pain in the dick to cut). PM me an address. :v: Bonus points: I only have 1 key for it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 19, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

dee eight posted:

A dab of brake fluid behind the ear and fingernails carefully done with that little black line under the edge.

That's a good idea: I've just had French tips done, so I'll look stylish and like a Real Man.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You need to smell like a real man, too. Creosote mixed with used engine oil is a good one there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can't relax, couldn't fall asleep so the apartment is spotless and I found almost 400 things to toss in mom's garage sale next month.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

You need to smell like a real man, too. Creosote mixed with used engine oil is a good one there.

Amateur. Flush your intestines with Seafoam and bathe in Aerostart

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

So....not this stuff? I mean, cars run on diesel, don't they?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Fermented Tinal posted:

Where I work the plant manager meets you outside the building and hands you a letter informing you you are no longer employed. They won't let you in the building to empty your locker, instead of that HR cuts the lock off, dumps your poo poo in a box, and mails it to you.

Anyone have a spare abus lock that'll work with a locker? I imagine this is the scenario I'm going to face when I put in my notice (if any of these wonderful places I've applied to will get back to me), and I think it would be hilarious to offer one last "gently caress you" by using a real bitch of a lock and leaving my locker empty.

I watched a coworker with a milwaukee rattle gun and a grade 8.8 bolt lock his locker with that, got it as tight as he could, then put a 1 size too big socket on the bolt and spun the gun until the nut and bolt head were round when he gave notice.

They ended up replacing the locker handles!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
^^^^^hahhaha that's pretty awesome, in a terribad kinda way.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I too like leaving messes for my co-workers in a poorly thought out attempt at sticking it to management.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

So....not this stuff? I mean, cars run on diesel, don't they?

Diesel is quite slippery stuff, so depending what it is you're doing with that glass fist to make bravery a factor, the lubrication could be useful.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geoj posted:

Job chat: current employer pulled the "you can't quit because you're fired" routine when I went in to work today - a stunning display of professionalism that is no less than I would expect out of them.

Already been in contact with my new employer, they have to confirm it but they're pretty sure they can start me next week :toot:

Fortunately we have just enough in the bank to cover all the bills through the end of the month in the event of a worst-case scenario.

Joke's on them, apply for unemployment to get paid for the time between.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

dee eight posted:

Mrs d8 binged the entirety of lost in space and liked it. I'm almost done with better call saul. We both watched all 6 or 7 seasons of death in paradise and it's a fun show with a fair to middlin' ensemble cast and decent writing/dialouge.

I couldn't get into Better Call Saul until I treated it as its own thing, and then it was amazing and I binged it hardcore.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Adiabatic posted:

I couldn't get into Better Call Saul until I treated it as its own thing, and then it was amazing and I binged it hardcore.

I never really got the hubub about BB (I still watched it eventually but just thought it was ok), but BCS is pretty decent. I have to catch up on the last season or two still.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It really gets into its stride in the last season currently out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Is it me or did BB get the seasons out way faster? Seems like they are filming BCS at a snails pace, it started years ago and is only on the 3rd season.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Not gonna lie, there's several suits on that page I want to wear.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So i woke up to a magpie casting like a 4 foot long profile shadow on the canvas roof over my camper bed. There was a solid couple minutes where i was too sleepstruck and i was like wait are u birb, or clever girl

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It was only after it flew off I managed to relax, just before the raptors hit me from the sides

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

It was only after it flew off I managed to relax, just before the raptors hit me from the sides

Just don't go looking for Mr. Arnold

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It is 2pm and so far today I have gotten calls from Costco, Target (don't know why I applied there) and a callback on the super poo poo interview.

Neat day!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Britgoons:

I am sure you are all familiar with EuroCarParts https://www.eurocarparts.com/ and their bizarre pricing strategy of high prices on the website with discount codes on the same website.

Well, I found this oddly-similar site https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/ with a smaller range of the same products at cheaper prices, even with the ECP discount codes applied.

I ordered from both and they are the same company: same products, same DHL shipping, same packaging, everything

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno posted:

It is 2pm and so far today I have gotten calls from Costco, Target (don't know why I applied there) and a callback on the super poo poo interview.

Neat day!

Congratulations. Sounds like it's a great time to be job hunting in your area.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ferremit posted:

I watched a coworker with a milwaukee rattle gun and a grade 8.8 bolt lock his locker with that, got it as tight as he could, then put a 1 size too big socket on the bolt and spun the gun until the nut and bolt head were round when he gave notice.

They ended up replacing the locker handles!

lol this owns so hard

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Is it me or did BB get the seasons out way faster? Seems like they are filming BCS at a snails pace, it started years ago and is only on the 3rd season.

bb was putting out a season per year until they did the split season for the last season, bcs was doing a season per year but season 4 is already late and wont be out till later this year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Locator posted:

Congratulations. Sounds like it's a great time to be job hunting in your area.

I was starting to get kind of lovely as I began applying places a full month ago.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Amazon's warehouse is having a tough-to-pin-down 20% off sale on some things. It's very hit-or-miss, but but I just grabbed an LG G6 for $265 delivered, which I think is p. good.

Now, is the phone crap? I'm replacing a Nexus 6p.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Better on some stuff, worse on some stuff.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/LG-G6,Google-Nexus-6P/phones/10379,9587

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Britgoons:

I am sure you are all familiar with EuroCarParts https://www.eurocarparts.com/ and their bizarre pricing strategy of high prices on the website with discount codes on the same website.

Well, I found this oddly-similar site https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/ with a smaller range of the same products at cheaper prices, even with the ECP discount codes applied.

I ordered from both and they are the same company: same products, same DHL shipping, same packaging, everything
Yeah, I'm not sure why they organise themselves like that.

Also, one day, I'm sure I'll meet someone who paid full price for something at ECP. It's like DFS sofas with car parts.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I was starting to get kind of lovely as I began applying places a full month ago.

HR departments consider the movement speed of a glacier to be fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Seminal Flu posted:

Amazon's warehouse is having a tough-to-pin-down 20% off sale on some things. It's very hit-or-miss, but but I just grabbed an LG G6 for $265 delivered, which I think is p. good.

Now, is the phone crap? I'm replacing a Nexus 6p.

I'm about 50/50 on Amazon Warehouse items being dead/broken/damaged beyond as described. Sometimes you get a screaming deal, some you get a visit to UPS to return.

• Locked thread