Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Don't bring that thread here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

pure gutfelt reckon

What a excellent turn of phrase

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The problem with against the grain is you don't have full control of who picks up the grims with pubs so its better that we fight the boss and learn who shouldn't have the grims. When i run it with my friend we split up with him getting the 2 chests behind the windmill while i grab the tome and get the chest in the corner then once the boss is dead he grabs a pub and gets the first grim while i get the windmill grim with the other pub. The key is encouraging tempo and finding out how competent your group is, i'd rather eat extra hordes and ambushes and find out that the elf shouldn't touch the grim then have the elf rush the grim then go down in the boss fight with the grim.

It also encourages better play and discipline with the pubs, sure 1 grim isn't going to be a big deal but if you can wrangle them into following instructions then you can ensure they'll listen later on.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cowcaster posted:

shut up zigmidge

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
sigmar save me from pubbie siennas and elves that don't know how to do anything but sprint for tomes

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Am I the only one who thinks that the bridge of shadows is lame, and that the coach from VT 1 was much more cool and good? I miss running into the coach and closing the door, it offered some really suspenseful moments. The bridge just seems boring in comparison with its dumb blue circle.

Also the guy who moaned about skavenslave hordes wasn't wrong; they go on too long and are a bit boring. Green man hordes are better because they end sooner and don't seem to actively waste your time while still being challenging; the skavenslave ones always have that line of stragglers like a weak trickle of piss after a full flow which seems to exist purely for time-wasting purposes. If you have an elf and a sienna at a choke point the hordes become completely trivial and the two other characters often end up standing around with their thumbs up their asses.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Rabelais D posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that the bridge of shadows is lame, and that the coach from VT 1 was much more cool and good? I miss running into the coach and closing the door, it offered some really suspenseful moments. The bridge just seems boring in comparison with its dumb blue circle.

I miss Oleysa. :smith:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dmboogie posted:

I miss Oleysa. :smith:

she's right there in the keep, though

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

she's right there in the keep, though

but she's not there at the end of the mission to complain about how long it took us to show up

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I love how nuts Saltzpyre goes when he finds out she’s a witch in that VT1 mission

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Someone mentioned the flame sword heavy being considered a spell a while back. What's significant about that? Do Sienna's ranged talents affect it?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rabelais D posted:

Also the guy who moaned about skavenslave hordes wasn't wrong; they go on too long and are a bit boring. Green man hordes are better because they end sooner and don't seem to actively waste your time while still being challenging; the skavenslave ones always have that line of stragglers like a weak trickle of piss after a full flow which seems to exist purely for time-wasting purposes. If you have an elf and a sienna at a choke point the hordes become completely trivial and the two other characters often end up standing around with their thumbs up their asses.

This is only true when there no other threats present. If you’re fighting a monster, or get beaned by a gas rat, or both, all of a sudden those piss trickle slaves can deal actual damage at champ.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This is only true when there no other threats present. If you’re fighting a monster, or get beaned by a gas rat, or both, all of a sudden those piss trickle slaves can deal actual damage at champ.

Yeah having nothing to do during a horde is just your go-code for having something to do in literally 5 seconds

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Tagichatn posted:

Someone mentioned the flame sword heavy being considered a spell a while back. What's significant about that? Do Sienna's ranged talents affect it?

Oooooh if it did that’d be a neat synergy with battle wizard.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

that's well and good, please bring on the hordes in these situations

please do not bring on the horde to check to see if i have forgotten the horde basics you checked 15 seconds ago

the latter is MUCH more common on legend

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Coolguye posted:

that's well and good, please bring on the hordes in these situations

please do not bring on the horde to check to see if i have forgotten the horde basics you checked 15 seconds ago

the latter is MUCH more common on legend

Hordes are flat out dangerous on legendary, even with just one special, which spawn constantly, many times in the middle of hordes. Ambushes can also be quite dangerous when you are caught in bad positions.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Is there anything I need to know about jumping up to Legend difficulty? I'm playing as Kruber. I'm finding Champion not to be too difficult anymore, although I can still die in it from getting poked too much or not reading a stormvermin/mauler attack and getting half my health chunked away.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Hordes are flat out dangerous on legendary
short of being in that bad position they absolutely are not. it's more like stamping out a fire than it is a fight. ambushes are announced with a substantial lead up time if you listen for the quiet chittering. if you are taking any damage from hordes at all in legendary you're messing up somewhere.

again, if they actually spawned specials in these situations more often than not, that would be one thing. but they don't. very frequently you get a honk on the horn and it's just a big rush of slave rats while you stand in one place proving you haven't fallen asleep.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Holy poo poo. I just played the most intense game of Vermintide.

Champion Into the Dark as Zealot Salty.

In the dark section of tunnel (my graphics setting made it so I couldn't see poo poo) we got a rat ogre. The entire team died except for me. I was carry a grim and was kiting the ogre and a bunch of maruaders for awhile, and the team respawned on the bridge. I ditched the grim, picked up a speed potion, drank that and ran to the team to revive them. Got the dwarf up, and he got the others up while I kept dodging the ogre. The rat ogre turns around and launches Kruber off the bridge to instant death. The Dwarf goes down and the Elf is hanging off a ledge. I get the elf up, draw aggro on the rat ogre, and the elf gets the dwarf up. We manage to get the rat ogre down, but not before the elf gets killed again. We go back to the cart and push it forward to victory.

Clutch move there was ditching the grim for the speed pot and dashing off with my Zealot active.

e: this was qp solo queue as well

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 20, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Node posted:

Is there anything I need to know about jumping up to Legend difficulty? I'm playing as Kruber. I'm finding Champion not to be too difficult anymore, although I can still die in it from getting poked too much or not reading a stormvermin/mauler attack and getting half my health chunked away.

You must have Ronalds blessing to be graced with such consistently competent pubbies in Champion games. Half the difficulty is working with 3 total strangers with FF on in the midst of a post patch ranged meta while simultaneously contending with speed and grim runners. That or you probably have a good mice-stomping posse.

My vidictiveness is showing, I'm sure.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

AndyElusive posted:

You must have Ronalds blessing to be graced with such consistently competent pubbies in Champion games. Half the difficulty is working with 3 total strangers with FF on in the midst of a post patch ranged meta while simultaneously contending with speed and grim runners. That or you probably have a good mice-stomping posse.

My vidictiveness is showing, I'm sure.

If there is one thing I've learned, it's when to leave a game instead of playing through it because of awful players. If I foresee a shitshow, I just drop and find another game. Saves me a lot of time.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How do dwarfs react to chaos dwarfs? Bros? Hatred? Indifference?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They try to pretend they don't exist because they're tremendously ashamed of them.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

How do dwarfs react to chaos dwarfs? Bros? Hatred? Indifference?

Complete and utter hatred either side will drop what they're doing to kill the other. I remember some lore quip where the dawi army abandons a human army to greenskins because they spotted a chaos dwarf raiding party and had to crush them into dust. Chaos dwarves are also better at everything but they have even less numbers than normal dawi which they make up for in slave fodder and war machines that make skaven drool. One of their artillery pieces is basically a WW1 rail howitzer and will utterly destroy whatever unit is targeted.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

e; the trick to boss satori is that apart from their armor, their innate resistance to everything favors slower chunky damage over rapid small spammy damage. act bosses being armored AND resistant are why they're... act bosses.

Boss resistance to damage is percentage-based. The number of strikes does not matter. Single chunky strikes do tend to produce the good feels though (I <3 Exec Sword or Greataxe boss chunkin').

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I love how nuts Saltzpyre goes when he finds out she’s a witch in that VT1 mission

I guess he got over it, I've never heard him mention it in the sequel.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I just want people to play more cautiously on higher difficulties. This speedrunning poo poo really gives people brain spiders. It's the exact same thing from WoW, I'm sure a lot of you played, and would get into a random group where the tank just moved ahead at lightspeed to get maximum rewards per minute. Before you say play with goons, this has been my experience in goon groups over the last few days.

Everyone, goon or pub, please chill and look out for your team and lets have fun killing rats.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

Tagichatn posted:

Infinite cleave, and can do damage through shields. It'll kill the shields.. uh.. eventually.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I think i'm going to wait for the improved bot mod before i try to level up my other chars because veteran just sucks too much with pubs. Legit, a lv30, lv20, lv19 and me lv17 on against the grain. I join right at the first tome and luckily grab it thinking huh odd they completely passed it up. I ask if they wanna grab the first grim or fight the boss, someone responds fight the boss so we fight the boss. I ping the tome then tell them i'm grabbing the windmill grim to which they all stop climbing the ladder in the barn and ask what a grim is hahaha. I show them where all the tomes and grims are then explain that they give better loot at the end of the level.

They were all down to get the grims/tomes so it wasn't that they knew about them and didn't want to get them they just literally didn't even know about them.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

Tom Gorman posted:

I just want people to play more cautiously on higher difficulties. This speedrunning poo poo really gives people brain spiders. It's the exact same thing from WoW, I'm sure a lot of you played, and would get into a random group where the tank just moved ahead at lightspeed to get maximum rewards per minute. Before you say play with goons, this has been my experience in goon groups over the last few days.

Everyone, goon or pub, please chill and look out for your team and lets have fun killing rats.

Once again I'd like to point out the willingness to consistently skip all gameplay among the community is indicative of a design problem. The answer to, "Should we ensure we get a lesser reward instead of a greater one?" shouldn't be obvious. Earlier in the thread, people even agreed with me that accepting a worse reward was reasonable when I skirted around mentioning speedrunning specifically.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Arghy posted:

I think i'm going to wait for the improved bot mod before i try to level up my other chars because veteran just sucks too much with pubs. Legit, a lv30, lv20, lv19 and me lv17 on against the grain. I join right at the first tome and luckily grab it thinking huh odd they completely passed it up. I ask if they wanna grab the first grim or fight the boss, someone responds fight the boss so we fight the boss. I ping the tome then tell them i'm grabbing the windmill grim to which they all stop climbing the ladder in the barn and ask what a grim is hahaha. I show them where all the tomes and grims are then explain that they give better loot at the end of the level.

They were all down to get the grims/tomes so it wasn't that they knew about them and didn't want to get them they just literally didn't even know about them.

30 entire levels and not once did that guy wonder what those books were at the reward screen. Not even once.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Nothin' quite like a Slayer dorf with the relic that heals him over time. I guarantee he will never touch a tome, potion, or bomb.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's really weird, usually it's the other way around with them being obsessed with grabbing everything even if it will obviously lead to a wipe. Even complete newbies seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of the book locations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
He's got his healing doodad, he doesn't need to loot any more treasure.

(He DOES need to be on the other side of that mountain)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I had the sloppiest Convocation of Decay run two days ago: an Ironbreaker and Sienna that just kept FF-ing everyone with their Drakefire Pistols/Bolt Staff, with the latter dying constantly and the former playing so aggressively that the Zealot and me as Huntsman Kruber (I had a shield TBF) took less damage than he did. I'd have been much happier if they even bothered to take one grim, but nah, instead they were practically rushing through the level and still managing to die so drat much.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

toasterwarrior posted:

I had the sloppiest Convocation of Decay run two days ago: an Ironbreaker and Sienna that just kept FF-ing everyone with their Drakefire Pistols/Bolt Staff, with the latter dying constantly and the former playing so aggressively that the Zealot and me as Huntsman Kruber (I had a shield TBF) took less damage than he did. I'd have been much happier if they even bothered to take one grim, but nah, instead they were practically rushing through the level and still managing to die so drat much.

The AOE damage on those drakefire pistols accounts for about half my health loss nowadays. They are far far worse than anything Sienna is capable of.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

man, drakefire pistols are just not helpful AT ALL to the group, so obnoxious. Like, if you must play Ironbreaker just get a drat handgun and help pick a special or two for a change

though I think my #1 hated ff weapon (when I don't play the dwarf that is) is the grudge raker, it loving kills you

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

what I learned tonight is that the drakefire pistol AOE actually won't hit teammates who are inside of you, they have to actually be in front of you for it to trigger. It's safer about friendly fire than you might think. if people are hitting you with it a lot, it's probably their fault not the weapon's.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

toasterwarrior posted:

The other end of this complaint is about teammates who step in front of Sienna even when the Sienna ran to the front of the group and stood there firing for several seconds in to an oncoming group only for the team to walk directly through them from behind and take FF. It's happened so many times to me on the bolt staff that I can't give the counter complaint any credence anymore. Well that and I no longer use the bolt staff. There's a noticable impact on group performance when I stop being able to assist with damage output when everyone steps in front of my shots in a manner that I can only consider to be on purpose.

Fuuka Ayase fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've just started running Champ with pubbies (only dared to do it with friends up until now) and goddamn the loving friendly fire by elves is insane. You don't need to shoot every every drat thing everywhere. It's just three clanrats ambling around directly in front of me. I can just walk up there and cut them with my sword. You don't need to try and shoot like fifteen arrows right past my head just to get them first.

Anyhow, speaking of ranged weapons, am I weird in that I actually kind of prefer the regular crossbow to the repeater crossbow on BH? Nine out of ten times I'm just using my ranged weapon to pull it out for a quick snapshot to profit from Blessed Shots and then go right back to melee, so the magazine capacity doesn't do much for me there. And the regular crossbow has the advantage that I can rely on just needing one shot to take down just about anything short of a rothelm, even if BS is on cooldown. Meanwhile with the repeater crossbow I often find myself having to switch into the triple-shot mode to ensure a kill, and that half-second really messes with the flow of "chop, shoot, chop, shoot". Regular crossbow also seems more effective against rothelms if I happen not to have the ult available right then.