Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’m really struggling not to become a BOFH.

“The CEO is unhappy he got this invoice, could we escalate it to X instead?”

I look at the invoice and see that it was escalated twice. Once after six days of it sitting with the normal person, once after six days with X.

How do I politely tell them that the solution is directors and division presidents doing their drat job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I like to become a fact-dispensing robot in cases like this. No finger pointing, no discussion about whose job it is or is not, no judgement. Facts and more facts.

quote:

- Invoice sent to [First Person] on [X Date]
- Invoice not processed by [Y Date], sent to [Second Person] as per escalation policy [policy number or link to documented policy]
- Invoice not processed by [Z Date], sent to [CEO] as per escalation policy

[Links to activity log or equivalent]

But I also don't care if one of the people in that chain gets a personal hate-on for me for exposing their laziness, so use your best judgement.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I've been working late this week training a replacement for the guy I fired a few weeks ago for covering up errors.

New guy is really bright, works hard and is pleasant. I'm going to be able to turn him loose a week early.

Makes me nervous. He's probably also an arsonist or a child molester.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ask him what he thinks of Star Trek.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ask him what he thinks of Star Trek.

Yeah, he’s probably a Voyager or Enterprise fan.

I bet his favorite Star Wars character is Jar Jar.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I don’t know if it is a cultural issue or just bad luck but almost every person they’ve tried to export a job to has said “yes they can do it” but aren’t actually able to and won’t ask for help or ask questions.

I have limited experience in dealing with outsourcing work to people based in India, but I've always experienced an eagerness to avoid being the bearer of bad news so you just get "yup I understand" and then it becomes clear that they didn't. We had a few developers come over and after a couple of months with the team over in Europe they were giving accurate status updates even if it was bad news. I don't know if it's a fear of losing the job or what, but it goes away once they've had a chance to get comfortable in the role.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Thanks Ants posted:

I have limited experience in dealing with outsourcing work to people based in India, but I've always experienced an eagerness to avoid being the bearer of bad news so you just get "yup I understand" and then it becomes clear that they didn't. We had a few developers come over and after a couple of months with the team over in Europe they were giving accurate status updates even if it was bad news. I don't know if it's a fear of losing the job or what, but it goes away once they've had a chance to get comfortable in the role.

I’ve almost never got an honest answer from him or my other interactions with Indian employees. It is incredibly frustrating. I’d rather someone tell me they don’t get it so we can work together and fix it. Instead I’ve had to call him out on poo poo like deleting automated jobs on accident but not telling anyone. That one didn’t get found out until I came back from paternity leave and spotted it. His response was “I didn’t want to tell anyone.” Well no poo poo but they are kind of important (even if it is just a background process) and need to run.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

Yeah, he’s probably a Voyager or Enterprise fan.

Also are his initials A.A.?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
oh good

Employee took his laptop to china, surprise surprise, it starts blowing up darktrace and all our AV monitors

What does surprise me is that we have an employee who took his company loving laptop into China and everyone's just shrugging and saying "oh our antivirus is good enough"'

that's not how it workssssssssssssssss

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 20, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Iron Rose posted:

What does surprise me is that we have an employee who took his company loving laptop into China and everyone's just shrugging and saying "oh our antivirus is good enough"'

that's not how it workssssssssssssssss

Heh. Our policy is literally "here is a piece of poo poo that's about to be decommissioned. We will throw it away when you get back. After we shred the hard drive." Same with phones.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
:yotj:

10 years I've been here. 3 as Desktop Support, 4 as Systems Analyst, 3 as a Security Analyst.

I took the Security job because I really liked the manager, and I thought the position would be interesting and a great opportunity to learn. I was told I would get training, conferences, and a lot of hands on experience. One of those things was true: Thrown in the deep end, and I've done pretty damned good if I say so myself. But the training and conferences never materialized, even with repeated asks. Then manager got a promotion to Director, and a year later to VP. Now his head is so big it won't fit through the door, and his usual abrasive but entertaining attitude is just abrasive and condescending now.

Over the last 3 years, I've been called a thief (for using a monitor that was collecting dust under an unused desk), overpaid, incompetent, and unprofessional. All by my VP. My manager just keeps accepting work and ridicule, because there's a big wet hole where his spine should be. My co-workers are great, but we're not a big enough team to handle all the work that's asked of us, plus projects, plus emergencies. Too bad, work harder, also BTW your hours changed and you get to work later now.

The final straw was 2 months ago, when I got called into the VPs office to be told off about making a joke. We had an outage, fairly major one. In the chat session, one of the error messages from the DBA team was "Databases, databases, databases... +2 more experiencing connection issues". My "joke" was "$5 says those +2 are also databases". This was apparently worthy of me being called unprofessional, and necessitated a talk with HR about my attitude. I ramped up my job search that evening.

Today I got my offer letter. Pay is the same, an extra week of vacation, I get to touch VMWare and AD and servers again instead of being a shadowy source of mostly ignored standards and recommendations. The new boss seems really cool, there's a decent work from home option, and every Friday is a half day. Plus, it's even closer to work - 5 minute commute compared to 10. Yes I know I can't really call either of those a commute.

I gave my notice about 30 minutes ago. My manager has disappeared to talk to HR. I sent my "Thanks for everything" email to the people I like. I'm serving out my 2 weeks, making sure documentation and such is up to snuff. Then 10 days off, then the new job.

Tonight, I am drinking a half dozen Session Ales, smoking at least 2-3 grams of Sugarloaf super lemon haze, and watching Annihilation.

:yotj: :toot:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nice one my pal, there's few things that feel better than saying goodbye to bullshit.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Antioch posted:

10 years I've been here. 3 as Desktop Support, 4 as Systems Analyst, 3 as a Security Analyst.

I took the Security job because I really liked the manager, and I thought the position would be interesting and a great opportunity to learn. I was told I would get training, conferences, and a lot of hands on experience. One of those things was true: Thrown in the deep end, and I've done pretty damned good if I say so myself. But the training and conferences never materialized, even with repeated asks. Then manager got a promotion to Director, and a year later to VP. Now his head is so big it won't fit through the door, and his usual abrasive but entertaining attitude is just abrasive and condescending now.

Over the last 3 years, I've been called a thief (for using a monitor that was collecting dust under an unused desk), overpaid, incompetent, and unprofessional. All by my VP. My manager just keeps accepting work and ridicule, because there's a big wet hole where his spine should be. My co-workers are great, but we're not a big enough team to handle all the work that's asked of us, plus projects, plus emergencies. Too bad, work harder, also BTW your hours changed and you get to work later now.

The final straw was 2 months ago, when I got called into the VPs office to be told off about making a joke. We had an outage, fairly major one. In the chat session, one of the error messages from the DBA team was "Databases, databases, databases... +2 more experiencing connection issues". My "joke" was "$5 says those +2 are also databases". This was apparently worthy of me being called unprofessional, and necessitated a talk with HR about my attitude. I ramped up my job search that evening.

Today I got my offer letter. Pay is the same, an extra week of vacation, I get to touch VMWare and AD and servers again instead of being a shadowy source of mostly ignored standards and recommendations. The new boss seems really cool, there's a decent work from home option, and every Friday is a half day. Plus, it's even closer to work - 5 minute commute compared to 10. Yes I know I can't really call either of those a commute.

I gave my notice about 30 minutes ago. My manager has disappeared to talk to HR. I sent my "Thanks for everything" email to the people I like. I'm serving out my 2 weeks, making sure documentation and such is up to snuff. Then 10 days off, then the new job.

Tonight, I am drinking a half dozen Session Ales, smoking at least 2-3 grams of Sugarloaf super lemon haze, and watching Annihilation.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Congrats! Not having to deal with poo poo like that will feel great. Hope things work out at the new place.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I do this now. The one thing I do miss about my previous job was I was doing 11-7, which is much more my jam. You get the same quiet time as the guy who loves 7-3, but at the end of the day instead.

It's obnoxious when I have to travel to HQ. They're in central, so poo poo starts at 8am their time. I'm actually a little wary about moving next year, we're looking hard at Denver and gently caress if I'm starting at 7am every day. I have narcolepsy, so I try as hard as I can to get as close to my body's natural rhythms that I can, there's no way I'd survive 7-3.

Yeah, I have no kids, and most of my office are early birds, so 80% of people leave by 4. Last two hours at work are usually quiet time, and most of my team is appreciative that they get to leave early most of the time.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Antioch posted:

Report back when the VP comes to scream at you/kiss your rear end.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

This is from asking about RDS Connection Broker HA 10 days ago, but here's the answer, for those of you following along at home:

CB1 was failing to initiate the HA config because even though Windows firewall was turned off and I had a port 1434 shaped hole through Windows firewall, it was for TCP 1434 and not UDP 1434. There are posts indicating that even when you turn Windows firewall off, it still does stuff, and you have to let UDP 1434 through, but I just misread them, I guess. So it couldnt talk to the SQL server

Then I got the same error on CB2 after HA was enabled on CB1 but before I had added it to the HA pool. Also after I made sure that UDP 1434 was allowed :dogbutton:

Turns out giving the security group containing both connection broker computer accounts sysadmin permissions to the SQL db fixed it, even though almost all of the blog posts I read only mentioned dbcreator permission.

In any event, the test RDS environment is working well!

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 21, 2018

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Congrats!

Antioch posted:

smoking at least 2-3 grams of Sugarloaf super lemon haze, and watching Annihilation.

See you in two weeks when you recover from that!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Happiness Commando posted:

CB1 was failing to initiate the HA config because even though Windows firewall was turned off and I had a port 1434 shaped hole through Windows firewall, it was for TCP 1434 and not UDP 1434. There are posts indicating that even when you turn Windows firewall off, it still does stuff, and you have to let UDP 1434 through, but I just misread them, I guess.

I have noticed this on many firewalls, if you turn them 'off', connections still won't be let through until you make an exception.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

The Fool posted:

What’s wrong with Jar Jar?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

What’s wrong with Jar Jar?

Discounting the blatant racism, it’s just cool to hate on Jar Jar if you’re a certain generation of Star Wars fan.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Fool posted:

Discounting the blatant racism, it’s just cool to hate on Jar Jar if you’re a certain generation of Star Wars fan.

Wait, I have to ask because this is the Internet and I can never assume anything.

Are you referring to the fact the entire Gungan species is a terrible racist caricature (which it was), or are you saying anyone who hates Jar Jar is racist?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Are you referring to the fact the entire Gungan species is a terrible racist caricature (which it was)
This

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Oh, thank god.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Peachfart posted:

I have noticed this on many firewalls, if you turn them 'off', connections still won't be let through until you make an exception.

Windows firewall specifically. Off implies nothing is blocked, but it seems to follow the Cisco rules that off means everything is implicit deny.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Windows firewall turned off is windows firewall turned off.

You need to make sure that it is off for the adapter you are using, and the "network" type you're specifying.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Also note that disabling the firewall service is not the same as turning off the firewall. Disabling the service without turning the firewall off on the adapter in question may result in an implicit deny-all. It's been years since I did that, but I recall it working that way.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Also note that disabling the firewall service is not the same as turning off the firewall. Disabling the service without turning the firewall off on the adapter in question may result in an implicit deny-all. It's been years since I did that, but I recall it working that way.

I did this with iptables once. On a Sunday. Luckily I was able to expense cabfare.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I choose to believe Darth Jar Jar was the plan and Lucas chickened out.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The office I worked at all last week onboarding had a full espresso machine. My office does not and I am now pissed off.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
The zillion flavors of Linux piss me off.

I am working on a proof of concept for a customer involving a Linux-based EC2 image, EFS and A handful of PHP scripts that call a MSSQL On EC2 instance.

As a Windows guy I have basic knowledge of how to set this up but I am running into various issues depending on the Linux flavor and I can’t figure out which flavor to pick and the associated issues to hammer out.

Amazon Linux? Great integration and support on AWS but I hit some PHP7 installation issues.

Ubuntu? PHP7 installs but EFS performs poorly, which seems strange since Ubuntu is so popular.

Red Hat? EC2 OS more expensive than Windows? Nah.

And PHP7 in Linux apparently doesn’t play well with MSSQL drivers yet.

Why do things have to be hard?

Fake edit: but man, Autoscaling Amazon Linux EC2 instances behind a load balancer with an EFS storage device on the backend warms the cockles of this infrastructure guy’s heart.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Agrikk posted:

The zillion flavors of Linux piss me off.

I am working on a proof of concept for a customer involving a Linux-based EC2 image, EFS and A handful of PHP scripts that call a MSSQL On EC2 instance.

As a Windows guy I have basic knowledge of how to set this up but I am running into various issues depending on the Linux flavor and I can’t figure out which flavor to pick and the associated issues to hammer out.

Amazon Linux? Great integration and support on AWS but I hit some PHP7 installation issues.

Ubuntu? PHP7 installs but EFS performs poorly, which seems strange since Ubuntu is so popular.

Red Hat? EC2 OS more expensive than Windows? Nah.

Why do things have to be hard?

Fake edit: but man, Autoscaling Amazon Linux EC2 instances behind a load balancer with an EFS storage device on the backend warms the cockles of this infrastructure guy’s heart.

This will help:

CentOS in the street.
Fedora in the sheets.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agrikk posted:

Accessing MSSQL from Linux PHP is going to be slow, there isn't the support for later connection methods so it's done via a legacy ODBC driver.

There are commercial solutions to this if you have the budget (they aren't even that expensive) but if you can use a Linux based DB (PostreSQL, MySQL, etc) your performance will be way, way better.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

Accessing MSSQL from Linux PHP is going to be slow, there isn't the support for later connection methods so it's done via a legacy ODBC driver.

There are commercial solutions to this if you have the budget (they aren't even that expensive) but if you can use a Linux based DB (PostreSQL, MySQL, etc) your performance will be way, way better.

gently caress.

Fuckety fuckety fuckety gently caress.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
And fwiw I think using mssql instead of Postgres is a mistake no matter which way you cut it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

freeasinbeer posted:

And fwiw I think using mssql instead of Postgres is a mistake no matter which way you cut it.

Sometimes you have line of business software that requires it and don’t have a choice in the matter.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agrikk posted:

gently caress.

Fuckety fuckety fuckety gently caress.

Yeah, you are going to be in hundreds to thousands of rows per minute, not millions+. Reading up on it, they have updated things to a more recent ODBC ( https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/connect/php/microsoft-php-driver-for-sql-server?view=sql-server-2017 ) but I don't know if the performance limitations have been improved.

Do you need to interact/update the database, or just pull data out of it? If you don't need to interact, you can periodically push data out of MSSQL into MySQL/PostreSQL (such syncing is done via a third party tool on the MSSQL server and is very fast) and just query against that. If you need to make updates, blergh....

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

Yeah, you are going to be in hundreds to thousands of rows per minute, not millions+. Reading up on it, they have updated things to a more recent ODBC ( https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/connect/php/microsoft-php-driver-for-sql-server?view=sql-server-2017 ) but I don't know if the performance limitations have been improved.

Do you need to interact/update the database, or just pull data out of it? If you don't need to interact, you can periodically push data out of MSSQL into MySQL/PostreSQL (such syncing is done via a third party tool on the MSSQL server and is very fast) and just query against that. If you need to make updates, blergh....

It’s a read-only process using MSSQL as a source with updates occurring every 60 minutes.

Maybe I can use a push process. You mentioned third party tools. Can you recommend anything besides AWS DMT?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

freeasinbeer posted:

I will argue this point, but it’s late and I’m tired and feeling discouraged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Happy Monday! Construction around City Hall.

Nothing actually broken yet, but Networking is nervously watching for drops, latency and CRC errors.