Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Guys, the term is "nocebo", not "noncebo".

And for an equally fascinating effect, it appears that the placebo effect still works even when the patient is aware he/she is being administered a placebo.

similarly, viewers expressed discomfort even after being informed of the nocebo effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I do think Hamm (after all this great narrative) being some kind of penultimate episode reveal character/bad guy would be outstanding...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Double Post, sorry. Totally different topic.

You wanna have some interesting discourse? Let's talk about the little tar-frog inception creature.

Is it real. I mean, physical? Do you think it leaves footprints and crawls into people's ears and if you saw it you could pick it up or squash it. Is it corporeal?

Is it not corporeal, but still visible? Is it some kind of manifestation of some kind, but still visible to a bystander?

Is it a television-al representation of an idea? (I lean towards this, but...)

If it's the latter, why does Ptonomy note blood on the side of his face?

Also: The Maze is the mental place you go when you're teeth-chattering, yeah? So as far as we know that was all caused by the Monk. Unrelated, then, to the Tar-frog. So we have not YET seen what it being inside of Ptonomy causes. Right?

Unless the Monk is the cause of the Tar Frog, but I doubt it because we see Ptonomy get up and go "Wtf" to the ear-blood/goo BEFORE he goes to The Maze.

My head hurts. Discuss amongst yourselves?

[edit] I really want the very final scene of the last episode of this season to be Tar Frog, sitting cross legged in a nice little chair, sipping tea, speaking to us in John Ham's voice.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I think we kind of caught Shadow King in a lie about the teeth chattering. He deflects it onto the monk but the rest of the monks displayed hysterical laughter, contagious suicidal ideation, and teeth chattering BECAUSE of their proximity to the Shadow King's body.

Also this episode seems to imply that the oil chicken of delusion is related to the monk and the teeth chattering. It is obviously contagious having affected Syd and now Ptonomy and I wonder if the delusion is that they can trust the Shadow King.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I thought that SK was lying his rear end off, but all seems to indicate that the "disease" is the monk's doing, as entrapping people in their own mind-mazes makes them immune to delusions. Which, by the way of the egg explanation earlier
in the first episode, might be represented in the latest by the shadow king's coffin (which is suspiciously almost like an egg).

As for the order going batshit crazy, the point of the Hamm Blurb was that it doesn't take much to push people over the edge? Like, it could be the literal thumping that rattled the monks and all it took was one to break for poo poo go downhill.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Dmitri-9 posted:

I think we kind of caught Shadow King in a lie about the teeth chattering. He deflects it onto the monk but the rest of the monks displayed hysterical laughter, contagious suicidal ideation, and teeth chattering BECAUSE of their proximity to the Shadow King's body.

Also this episode seems to imply that the oil chicken of delusion is related to the monk and the teeth chattering. It is obviously contagious having affected Syd and now Ptonomy and I wonder if the delusion is that they can trust the Shadow King.

the way I read the sequence was he makes the monks all go nuts, not intentionally its just the presence of his body is psychically damaging I guess. Farouk might not be aware of this. He has a high opinion of himself and if he was aware of the possibility he might just automatically discount it on the basis I'm amazing and therefore not poisonous garbage. Anyway I think the high dive champion monk is affected by this and knows this. Why he goes to nightclubs knowing this I'm not sure since he seems to roughly speaking anti evil. I think they said something about the nightclub being a place he had been and not just a psychic battleground.

Not sure where I come down on the delusion chicken thing. I didn't feel like the monk was responsible because its really gross and he seems to be giving people what they want. I admit I could be totally off point. Feel like the season would be better watched in one long chug like I did the first season

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

His coffin being an egg was very intentional I think.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dmitri-9 posted:

I dunno, I think it might be possible that something else inhabited the Shadow King's body. Or the absence of him in his body caused something worse to happen. There must be a reason that he wants his body back so much when we've already seen that he can control other people and still use his powers. The body itself might contain some power, and without a driving conscious, it's let loose.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Feenix posted:

Double Post, sorry. Totally different topic.

You wanna have some interesting discourse? Let's talk about the little tar-frog inception creature.

Is it real. I mean, physical? Do you think it leaves footprints and crawls into people's ears and if you saw it you could pick it up or squash it. Is it corporeal?

Is it not corporeal, but still visible? Is it some kind of manifestation of some kind, but still visible to a bystander?

Is it a television-al representation of an idea? (I lean towards this, but...)

If it's the latter, why does Ptonomy note blood on the side of his face?

Also: The Maze is the mental place you go when you're teeth-chattering, yeah? So as far as we know that was all caused by the Monk. Unrelated, then, to the Tar-frog. So we have not YET seen what it being inside of Ptonomy causes. Right?

Unless the Monk is the cause of the Tar Frog, but I doubt it because we see Ptonomy get up and go "Wtf" to the ear-blood/goo BEFORE he goes to The Maze.

My head hurts. Discuss amongst yourselves?

*teeth chattering intensifies*

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I just rewatched this last episode and how the gently caress I could forget about the cow

I think it is quite the sign of David having an episode when everybody goes "holy loving poo poo A COW?!?!" and he doesn't even care, particularly *after* he did some brain fiddling

"jesus christ this show is bonkers" - critical consensus

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What was the loudspeaker saying when kerry was eating with cary? Something about words with 2 meanings?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Milo and POTUS posted:

What was the loudspeaker saying when kerry was eating with cary? Something about words with 2 meanings?
"Reminder: Avoid words with double meanings"

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I expected Syd to be swapped with the cow.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

dead comedy forums posted:

I just rewatched this last episode and how the gently caress I could forget about the cow

I think it is quite the sign of David having an episode when everybody goes "holy loving poo poo A COW?!?!" and he doesn't even care, particularly *after* he did some brain fiddling

"jesus christ this show is bonkers" - critical consensus

Originally David’s reaction was “what the Christ” and then after a few times he just kind of gave up and rolled with it.

My favorite part is that Cary’s main concern about a random cow in the base was that he didn’t want it messing up his lab.

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice
Any speculation on wtf was up with the cow? Was it there because of David, the monk, or Shadow King, or something else? And the monk in the corner with the weird body horror flesh cables wired in to the cyborg was ... disturbing.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The cow has a smattering of black ash on/around it, just like from when Farouk was killing/transforming the guards, but I don't know what to make of that because it wasn't him or David doing the attacking this time. Is the cow somebody? Is there yet another character that can zap people into ash/animals? Does the cow just have regular farm dirt on it? L E G I O N

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The more I think about it, the more I think Sublime fits perfectly with Legions world. A sentient virus from the dawn of time is weird as hell, but not as weird as the show is.

In general, Legion has the feeling of Morrison's X-men.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sublime is a good idea. Though with that and the talk about Morrison, now I want to see Legion use Cassandra Nova. That would be incredible.

And they could have Aubrey Plaza play her.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

twistedmentat posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think Sublime fits perfectly with Legions world. A sentient virus from the dawn of time is weird as hell, but not as weird as the show is.

In general, Legion has the feeling of Morrison's X-men.

I'd assume something alive from the dawn of time would have a pretty vast intelligence and a giant collection of facts. Heck, that guy would make a good narrator.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

McGrady posted:

Any speculation on wtf was up with the cow? Was it there because of David, the monk, or Shadow King, or something else? And the monk in the corner with the weird body horror flesh cables wired in to the cyborg was ... disturbing.

I think the cow is either psychic camouflage -- a weird artifact of someone deflecting attention away from themselves despite obviously being out of place -- or it's David's powers going haywire and creating physical manifestations of his state of mind.

Knowing a little bit about comics Legion also makes me think these two options aren't even necessarily exclusive. :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think the cow is either psychic camouflage -- a weird artifact of someone deflecting attention away from themselves despite obviously being out of place -- or it's David's powers going haywire and creating physical manifestations of his state of mind.

Knowing a little bit about comics Legion also makes me think these two options aren't even necessarily exclusive. :v:

The cows also pointing in the direction of the next person to save.

Or maybe it isn’t.

Definitely one of the two though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I kept thinking the cow was Syd the whole Ep and was waiting for David to figure it out.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

qbert posted:

I kept thinking the cow was David the whole Ep and was waiting for David to figure it out.

FTFY

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

bring back old gbs posted:

I'd assume something alive from the dawn of time would have a pretty vast intelligence and a giant collection of facts. Heck, that guy would make a good narrator.

At this point the biggest surprise of the season would be if Jon Hamm's narrator is not in some way a character.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Ever since Jon Hamm's bit about the red/green switching I've been hyper-aware of everything that is colored green.
Lenny's Exit sign she was drawing, all the doors in D3, Kerry's spray bottle he squirts David with, and of course more giant floating hands.

Also somehow only just realized that you can tell what is in the Mind vs what is Reality by the aspect ratio changes.

Fake Edit: the Green/Red thing is even weirder if you think about Season 1 and how anytime the Shadow King was loving with things there was an abundance of red light/coloration
But it could also just be the easy way to explain perceived reality to us plebs and nothing more.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Presumably just depicting the same era but the kid walking into traffic really reminded me of Toby Maguire in Pleasantville.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

algebra testes posted:

Cute callback to the pilot with "I like Cherry Pie now".
Literally just watch8ng this new season now.

Humble predictions: social issues

Fickle Isthmus
Aug 2, 2003

I've not turned up yet 'ave I?

Pussy Quipped posted:

His coffin being an egg was very intentional I think.

An egg, but also a seed? That's the two things it brought to my mind.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Pussy Quipped posted:

Ever since Jon Hamm's bit about the red/green switching I've been hyper-aware of everything that is colored green.
Lenny's Exit sign she was drawing, all the doors in D3, Kerry's spray bottle he squirts David with, and of course more giant floating hands.

The cheerleader uniform/pop-pom's were a more subdued red/green motif.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bring back old gbs posted:

Also, really handsome.

if they defeat the Shadow King this season, Cassandra Nova would be a great new villain who could step in. Its funny how Gifted is already using the Stepford Cuckoos because they would fit in real well here too.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Nevvy Z posted:

Oooooh Hamm as Sublime seems to work pretty well based on what I remember.

I just googled Sublime and plz don't tell me you guys are excited to have sentient bacteria as the villain of this season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I just googled Sublime and plz don't tell me you guys are excited to have sentient bacteria as the villain of this season.

He was also a drug that Quieten Quire and Magneto were mainlining.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Sublime sounds like the kind of ridiculous high concept character that would be all flash and no substance but it actually turned out well. I have zero faith in anyone making it work on the big screen but this show is exactly the type of vehicle for it to work in and if I can't have Hamm as Sinister, Sublime is the next best casting for him.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Bacteria aren't peasants. :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PaybackJack posted:

Sublime sounds like the kind of ridiculous high concept character that would be all flash and no substance but it actually turned out well. I have zero faith in anyone making it work on the big screen but this show is exactly the type of vehicle for it to work in and if I can't have Hamm as Sinister, Sublime is the next best casting for him.

Keep in mind his primary form is John Sublime. We don't even have to get into the bacteria thing, he can just be John Sublime, Psychic Guy with Infectious Memes.

Also Agents of SHIELD did sentient bacteria with Hive and it turned out pretty good. I trust this show. also if we're going full bat poo poo morrison x-men I want no-girl

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If we get No Girl, we also need Glob Herman.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I have no clue what this thread is talking about anymore. Meta AF

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I looked up Glob Herman and at the very least he could wear a shirt and pants.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Shadow king is a multiversal manifestation of the dark side of the human consciousnesses, spawned by the first nightmare. So sentient bacteria doesn't sound that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I have no clue what this thread is talking about anymore. Meta AF

Just like the show!