Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

It’s the 2390s and I started a war with a 1-system empire that my Devouring Swarm had eaten everything around. They have 1 federation buddy who exists outside of the space I can reach without going to war with one of the 2 Federations that each comprise a quarter of the galaxy. I have about a third of the galaxy, but don’t want to start something before I know when and where the crisis will be.

Will I be nominally at war with these guys forever or will they eventually be willing to white peace before I get around to eating the other Federation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

crazypeltast52 posted:

It’s the 2390s and I started a war with a 1-system empire that my Devouring Swarm had eaten everything around. They have 1 federation buddy who exists outside of the space I can reach without going to war with one of the 2 Federations that each comprise a quarter of the galaxy. I have about a third of the galaxy, but don’t want to start something before I know when and where the crisis will be.

Will I be nominally at war with these guys forever or will they eventually be willing to white peace before I get around to eating the other Federation?

Ticking WE attrition should eventually force a Status Quo peace. If you're using the Total War CB (and I assume Devouring Swarms have that) that's pretty much total victory for you as far as the parts you care about.

Edit: That being said 2400 is just when the end-game actually begins, the crises usually take at least a decade after to trigger. Plenty of time for you to take massive chunks out of all your neighbors in one last hellwar.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GunnerJ posted:

I kinda like the idea of missiles and strike craft getting e.g., speed and evasion bonuses with thruster tech or accuracy/tracking bonuses with sensor tech to reflect the fact that they're basically miniature spacecraft.

I modded strikecraft so there's interceptors (for PD and anti-bomber mostly), bombers (anti-ship decent sped) and gunships (low evasion, high damage for punishing opponents who skimp on the PD) before the big strikecraft consolidation.

Turns out the autocannon FX looks really great when it's used for strikecraft (it was my gunship fx).

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Tomn posted:

Ticking WE attrition should eventually force a Status Quo peace. If you're using the Total War CB (and I assume Devouring Swarms have that) that's pretty much total victory for you as far as the parts you care about.

Edit: That being said 2400 is just when the end-game actually begins, the crises usually take at least a decade after to trigger. Plenty of time for you to take massive chunks out of all your neighbors in one last hellwar.

Actually crises can only spawn 50 years after the end game year, so 2450 usually. Plenty of time for one war. FEs can awaken immediately after the end game starts, though.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've been playing on the beta patches since 2.0 came out and I have experienced zero game breaking bugs and one bug on very rare occasions where I got event options more than once. I dont use any mods though so I dunno if that affects your experience.

I run mod free too and it's not really been anything literally game breaking but between AI's performing poorly, planet occupation counting towards war exhaustion but not really and some weird combat behavior among other things is annoying enough imo

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Martout posted:

I run mod free too and it's not really been anything literally game breaking but between AI's performing poorly, planet occupation counting towards war exhaustion but not really and some weird combat behavior among other things is annoying enough imo
Ah, fair enough then. I have iterated on my difficulty levels and am now up to Admiral and my games are a challenge now. Once I get good enough at that I will up it again.

Have you tried playing on a Medium or Large 4-arm Spiral galaxy with 1.0 hyperlane density and max (or near-max) AI empires? My current game is on that and equivalent AIs have near-equivalent fleets and the game has been a decent, but fun, challenge thus far.
edit: On Admiral difficulty

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 20, 2018

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
That's how I play but hyperlanes at 0.75 tho. I'm just gonna take a while off until they polish it up a bit I think.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My first attempt at grand admiral ended two decades in getting dog-piled by two of my neighbors in separate but poorly timed wars.

Maybe I should play a gov-type that everyone doesn't hate/get containment CB's against for my first few goes at super high difficulty :v:

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota

Arrath posted:

My first attempt at grand admiral ended two decades in getting dog-piled by two of my neighbors in separate but poorly timed wars.

Maybe I should play a gov-type that everyone doesn't hate/get containment CB's against for my first few goes at super high difficulty :v:

I've found that if you're playing as an exterminator, and have advanced ai starts on, and encounter one of those empires early, you pretty much lose. You'll be working with a fleet somewhere around 1-2k early on, and they'll come in with a 5k fleet, followed by a few 2k fleets.

Overwhelming + they hate you = ouch

Not much you can do about that.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Kinda wish you could type in a custom hyperlane density. Large 0.75x is pretty drat constricting. 1x doesn't have enough chokepoints.

On a side note, I've (temporarily) abandoned my set of 30+ custom empires populating the galaxy for every run and am doing the polar opposite: random for me and all AIs. It's refreshing!

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
Hopefully they implement sliders for both cluster density and connections between clusters with the redesigned hyperlane networks for 2.1.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
We've had some crazy good bugs in our latest mp game. The great khan settled into an empire, but warring for claims or vassalization against that empire only results in immediate total war, as in systems go immediately to the victor. One of our players is a gestalt consciousness servitor empire that now has psychic robot leaders thanks to one of the religious empires discovering psionics.

There've been a couple others but those are the wildest ones.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Psychic robots seem like it might be a teensy bit overpowered

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Captain Invictus posted:

Psychic robots seem like it might be a teensy bit overpowered

I didn't even know that empires could infect each other with psionics. That seems pretty lovely that you spend two Ascension perks to get psychic powers and it just goes to another empire for free somehow. Let alone a robot empire.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gekkoh posted:

I've found that if you're playing as an exterminator, and have advanced ai starts on, and encounter one of those empires early, you pretty much lose. You'll be working with a fleet somewhere around 1-2k early on, and they'll come in with a 5k fleet, followed by a few 2k fleets.

Overwhelming + they hate you = ouch

Not much you can do about that.

Hell this was without advanced starts at all just to make it a little easier on me. I was mobilizing for my first war even, maxxed fleet cap with like 3.5k of ships fielded.

I was not prepared.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

You can, and in some circumstances, *should* go over your fleet cap. This was one of those circumstances.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Xenaero posted:

Kinda wish you could type in a custom hyperlane density. Large 0.75x is pretty drat constricting. 1x doesn't have enough chokepoints.

kiss me Pikachu posted:

Hopefully they implement sliders for both cluster density and connections between clusters with the redesigned hyperlane networks for 2.1.

Good news, there's a mod for that.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1309809668

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota

Oh, come on!

I have a good game going as determined exterminators, have fought several wars with other empires, just holding my own. I have to watch three borders at once, while trying to build myself up, and keep up with what my neighbors are doing.

But then the Great Khan died, and they decided to become the good guys, formed a single nation that likes to form federations, and then declared war on me with this.

As a regular empire now, not of unusual size, and with an inferior fleet capacity than me, how can the AI possibly support that many fleets years after the Khan dies?

This is the kind of AI cheating that ruins games. I don't mind giving them a bonus, but this is so wildly outside the parameters of the current game it's ridiculous.

Edit: So, I switched over to the ex-Khan's empire to see what was going on. All those fleets had zero maintenance costs! And there were a lot more than what I saw on my border. They had over 20 of the 12k fleets, and even more smaller ones. So I spent some time getting rid of them, so that they're still more powerful than I am, but not more powerful than the entire rest of the galaxy combined.

Seems like when the khan dies, if it chooses to stay as one empire, then most of that fleet power should be deleted.

Gekkoh fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 21, 2018

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Gekkoh posted:

Oh, come on!

I have a good game going as determined exterminators, have fought several wars with other empires, just holding my own. I have to watch three borders at once, while trying to build myself up, and keep up with what my neighbors are doing.

But then the Great Khan died, and they decided to become the good guys, formed a single nation that likes to form federations, and then declared war on me with this.

As a regular empire now, not of unusual size, and with an inferior fleet capacity than me, how can the AI possibly support that many fleets years after the Khan dies?

This is the kind of AI cheating that ruins games. I don't mind giving them a bonus, but this is so wildly outside the parameters of the current game it's ridiculous.

Edit: So, I switched over to the ex-Khan's empire to see what was going on. All those fleets had zero maintenance costs! And there were a lot more than what I saw on my border. They had over 20 of the 12k fleets, and even more smaller ones. So I spent some time getting rid of them, so that they're still more powerful than I am, but not more powerful than the entire rest of the galaxy combined.

Seems like when the khan dies, if it chooses to stay as one empire, then most of that fleet power should be deleted.

Did they actually move on you with them? Because afaik they don't actually.. do anything.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
"I cast off this feeble organic body, now I shall live forever as an immortal machine!"
*suffers critical malfunction 30 years later*

Synthetic immortality isn't everything it's hyped up to be.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AG3 posted:

"I cast off this feeble organic body, now I shall live forever as an immortal machine!"

The RNG can sometimes be a bitch. I had (in my current machine run) a couple malfunctions in the early game, but nothing bad at all the following 150+ years. The game before that one, I had five malfunctions one after another, in under 20 years. And before that one, I had not a single one for a full century. :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AG3 posted:

It'd be more thematic if syntheticly ascended leaders just got sick of leading after a while and wanted to retire. Dead By Misapplied Pressure Plate could be just one result among various Not A Scientist Anymore options, like "Just not feelin' it" (-50% to everything) or "Stole a ship and pointed it vaguely that way" (gone, might come back in 50 years loaded with data) or "career change" (turns into a different kind of level 1 leader with a special trait). Same balance, less, uh, futile-feeling.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I'm partial to playing venerable races and going all in on the shroud, with that plus tech leaders can usually push 300, especially if they are resilient too. Also when I play long enough to be able to research repeatable life extension techs, I amuse myself by picturing the researcher desperately trying to extend his life faster than it is expiring :v:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

It's pretty easy to get biologics that live forever, which is why it's such a surprise that robots die as often as they do. Maybe they should have a minimum 100 years before they can break down?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

AG3 posted:

I'm partial to playing venerable races and going all in on the shroud, with that plus tech leaders can usually push 300, especially if they are resilient too. Also when I play long enough to be able to research repeatable life extension techs, I amuse myself by picturing the researcher desperately trying to extend his life faster than it is expiring :v:

sup venerable buddy

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

....So... I lost the game, because the federation I willingly joined, conquered most of the universe. Because it wasn't my founded federation, I didn't win the game.

What? How is that so - so counter-intuitive?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

First run at life seeded and I have cybrex as precursors

I cannot wait to see how hosed I am by something in this galaxy setup though :allears:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

StrixNebulosa posted:

....So... I lost the game, because the federation I willingly joined, conquered most of the universe. Because it wasn't my founded federation, I didn't win the game.

What? How is that so - so counter-intuitive?
Wiz hasn't had time to fix the game-end conditions yet so just ignore them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Shugojin posted:

First run at life seeded and I have cybrex as precursors

I cannot wait to see how hosed I am by something in this galaxy setup though :allears:

Cybrex are so much better than the other precursors it's not even funny.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So far all I have is being real close to Trappist which is more of a middle finger than an actual problem

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sindai posted:

Wiz hasn't had time to fix the game-end conditions yet so just ignore them.

:sigh:

I'm coming to really like this game, but it's just not done yet, is it?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Basically.

I mean, they've basically ripped out half the game and reworked(Starports, Hyperlane Only, Natural Wormhole, Gateways, weapon/armour system rework, mass tradition changes related to all the above). So we've effectively back in beta, yet we're paying for that privilege. Non-functioning AI, horrific bugs that turn up suddenly(See the recent mess with 2.03).

It was a big thing to do, I imagine, even from their own side. But I also am....annoyed. I'm not a 'RUINED FOREVER' kind of guy, no matter how I feel about Wormholes. But this isn't great. It probably will be....when it's done. If it's done.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
My civic starts are out, updated the mod today (guilli's planet modifiers) :>

Death World was much requested! Hope you like it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Basically.

I mean, they've basically ripped out half the game and reworked(Starports, Hyperlane Only, Natural Wormhole, Gateways, weapon/armour system rework, mass tradition changes related to all the above). So we've effectively back in beta, yet we're paying for that privilege. Non-functioning AI, horrific bugs that turn up suddenly(See the recent mess with 2.03).

It was a big thing to do, I imagine, even from their own side. But I also am....annoyed. I'm not a 'RUINED FOREVER' kind of guy, no matter how I feel about Wormholes. But this isn't great. It probably will be....when it's done. If it's done.

On the one hand, I'm impressed at how much fun the game is to play - I picked it up a year ago and didn't care for it, ish. Now I've actually finished a game (on a tiny map) and had a good time.

On the other hand, it needs an EA stamp, because it's just not done and having the game end like that after 10+ hours was... it's a sour spot.

Also next game I'm going to go hardcore war again, now that I've got a better grasp of things, and see if I can't enjoy the tactical game - especially when FTL inhibitors are involved!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Rorac posted:

You can, and in some circumstances, *should* go over your fleet cap. This was one of those circumstances.

Oh yeah don't I know it. That would have required another year or two's worth of minerals before the AI wardec'd me tho, a luxury I didn't have.

E: Those new starting civics look awesome!

Arrath fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 21, 2018

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

:sigh:

I'm coming to really like this game, but it's just not done yet, is it?

Paradox games used to be, and at least Stellaris seems to have returned to a state of being, in perpetual Early Access. With the easy way of staying at a "stable" build we have now it is less of a problem, but still pretty problematic.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

It's playable and fun, and it's still pretty fresh if you didn't burn through the content in the previous versions. I'm also curious to try the Star Trek mod post 2.0 when it gets stable.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

So I did my usual "surrender to the great Khan as soon as they get near" thing, and I don't know whether this has always happened and I just didn't notice before but their fleets stormed through my territory and rampaged across my neighbors, and I immediately hoovered up all the now open systems so by the time the khan died my empire was dramatically more powerful and everyone around me was crippled without any diplomatic consequences. Felt good, but unintentional.

Anyway, New Ship Classes isn't very good. The most interesting thing it does is add a building slot to the level-0 starbases, so you can add a movement building to them or just a solar array to pay for itself or some such. The new ship classes all seem to be cruisers and battleships, and they aren't very interesting (a tech unlock lets you make all S size sections on your battleship, etc) The other main change is adding a million billion module slots to starbases and makes them tougher nuts to crack in general.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

McSpanky posted:

Cybrex are so much better than the other precursors it's not even funny.

They are. It's gotten to the point where I'll look at the save game to find the closest system with precursor_5, and scan that first to ensure I get Cybrex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

StrixNebulosa posted:

On the one hand, I'm impressed at how much fun the game is to play - I picked it up a year ago and didn't care for it, ish. Now I've actually finished a game (on a tiny map) and had a good time.

On the other hand, it needs an EA stamp, because it's just not done and having the game end like that after 10+ hours was... it's a sour spot.

Also next game I'm going to go hardcore war again, now that I've got a better grasp of things, and see if I can't enjoy the tactical game - especially when FTL inhibitors are involved!

Frankly just ignore that end game screen. It literally means nothing. Is there even a cheevo for "winning" a game? IIRC they threw it in because someone said they had to have one.

Most paradox games are basically designed to play until you feel like you did what you wanted to do. If what you want to do is paint the map in your color, go for it. If what you want to do is pull off some bizarre feat chasing one of their harder cheevos, do that.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's playable and fun, and it's still pretty fresh if you didn't burn through the content in the previous versions. I'm also curious to try the Star Trek mod post 2.0 when it gets stable.

I'm playing it right now. Feels pretty good hwere it is.