Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

butt dickus posted:

google maps has an "offline maps" section in the menu

gonna guess you didn't update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

The Management posted:

we’re talking about aesthetics. nobody was complaining about how ugly EarPods were. but cut the cord off and suddenly they’re intolerable

early on apple did a good job of marketing the distinctive white earbuds as a fashion statement, but for the last decade there's been no point in commenting on their appearance as there wasn't anyone claiming they were good.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i wasn't even looking for routing. i just want a map that works without an internet connection.

neither apple nor google will deliver that anymore

on the subway my $1000 smartphone is less useful than a $100 GPS from 2001 because ?????

i still have it from hamburger menu (gmaps) in the search bar?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
and im fully updated

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Plorkyeran posted:

early on apple did a good job of marketing the distinctive white earbuds as a fashion statement, but for the last decade there's been no point in commenting on their appearance as there wasn't anyone claiming they were good.

When the EarPods were first released 2012, I bought a standalone pair that had thicker cables and the sound quality was absolutely better than the pair that came with my sister's iPhone 5s and my iPhone 6. I can't find any reference to the difference online, though.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

is this a new "feature" they are A-B testing? because this is in my (fully updated) google maps app right now:

used it this last week actually

coke
Jul 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-NU7yOSElE

lol @ apple lying through their teeth to prevent people from having working apple devices, even when the consumer are willing to pay for it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

whoever it was wasn’t lying they your a shitposter exquisite

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shifty Pony posted:

is this a new "feature" they are A-B testing? because this is in my (fully updated) google maps app right now:

used it this last week actually

wtf

i've been singled out for suckage?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

coke posted:

lol @ apple lying through their teeth to prevent people from having working apple devices, even when the consumer are willing to pay for it

i REFUSE to click on a linus tech tips video

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wtf

story of your life, im afraid

pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

hell, same!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

tl;dr his underlings try to change ram and destroy every loving part in the computer to the point where buying a new imac pro from apple will be cheaper than getting apple to repair it, que linus rabid fanbase frothing at mouth how apple dared to tell him to just buy a new one

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

coke posted:

they're not lying about anything. they're admitting they don't have the supply chain or training for supporting the device.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

tl;dr his underlings try to change ram and destroy every loving part in the computer to the point where buying a new imac pro from apple will be cheaper than getting apple to repair it, que linus rabid fanbase frothing at mouth how apple dared to tell him to just buy a new one

the kind of dumbassery you'd expect from the guy who wrote linux

pram
Jun 10, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

and shagger

coke
Jul 12, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

not really, here's another source if you dont want to click the video

https://venturebeat.com/2018/04/18/apple-refuses-to-fix-imac-pro-damaged-in-youtube-teardown/

quote:

Citing an obscure repair policy that might be illegal, Apple has refused to fix a brand new iMac Pro that was damaged during a video teardown — even at the user’s expense. According to Linus Sebastian of the 5.6-million-subscriber YouTube channel Linus Tech Tips, Apple said that it typically won’t fix a Mac that’s been opened by a user, a statement Apple and other tech companies were recently warned by the Federal Trade Commission not to make, as it’s illegal under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

and lol

quote:

“Imagine this in some other industry,” said Sebastian. “Imagine if you bought a brand new car and drove it into a lamppost as you were leaving the dealer. Then both the dealer and your third-party insurer said that they couldn’t fix it because the parts and the repair manual don’t exist… Despite Apple’s careful design, accidents do happen, and if a former repair technician can screw up from time to time — trust me, they do — the end user will, too.”

apparently this means you can't even change out standard stuff like the memory or ssd on the imac pro yourself even though there are slots for it

coke fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 22, 2018

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
who cares

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

seriously

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shaggar posted:

Its fine. kind of sad nobody makes a better phone os.

i never did try webos on a phone so i cannot challenge this

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the webos phones were not very good

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

coke posted:

https://venturebeat.com/2018/04/18/apple-refuses-to-fix-imac-pro-damaged-in-youtube-teardown/

and lol

apparently this means you can't even change out standard stuff like the memory or ssd on the imac pro yourself even though there are slots for it

linus is an idiot, as has been shown many times.

his whole “imagine if you bought a car and crashed it and the dealer wouldn’t fix it” thing is wrong, more like “imagine if you bought a car, took it home, took it apart, broke a ton of stuff, took it back to the dealer and got told your only real option was buying a new one, then lied online and told everyone you only smashed the windshield.”

LOL that the idiots running that channel thought that voiding the warranty on a $5000+ computer was a good idea just so they could save a couple hundred dollars on RAM. especially when apple’s official line is that the RAM isn’t user replaceable (even though it is if you aren’t some bumbling YouTube chucklefuck).

timb is probably trying to get away with making as few spare parts as possible. wouldn’t be surprised at all if the in-warranty store-level repair procedure for imacs pro is basically just send the busted unit back to be refurbished and give the customer a new one.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nah apple has a history of bad customer support when it comes to hardware repairs and this is either them not having the parts they need because they don't have their supply chain setup yet or they're denying it out of spite because they don't like the press related to its non-reparability.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wtf

is the maps app signed into a google account?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I have to admit the idea of the imac pro being some kind of professional level workstation is pretty laughable.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PCjr sidecar posted:

is the maps app signed into a google account?

no

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Doc Block posted:

LOL that the idiots running that channel thought that voiding the warranty on a $5000+ computer was a good idea just so they could save a couple hundred dollars on RAM. especially when apple’s official line is that the RAM isn’t user replaceable (even though it is if you aren’t some bumbling YouTube chucklefuck).

claiming something is "not user replaceable" and voiding the warranty is illegal

it doesn't matter how dumb they are or how much they damaged the thing -- their warranty remains valid, albeit damage they did themselves will not be covered.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i personally think it is good that linus tech tips is being punished

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

hell, same

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

unfortunately linus tech tips videos are the most watchable tech videos on the world wide web

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Skim Milk posted:

unfortunately linus tech tips videos are the most watchable tech videos on the world wide web

i just stick to ancient episodes of the computer chronicles for my fix

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

i just stick to ancient episodes of the computer chronicles for my fix

if you opt for the multimedia computer make sure to get at least 8 megabytes of RAM

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

that's the problem, then.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Shaggar posted:

w/ win10 maps you tell it the maps you want to have available offline and it keeps them up to date automatically.

this is a standard feature of here maps which windows has by default and also of maps.me

both of these work fine and i can only conclude that the thread is full of a bunch of olds who don’t know how to download new apps

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

akadajet posted:

has anyone considered that earbuds in any form sound like garbage?
the airbuds are like 20% better sounding than the earpods.. its just enough to be tolerable

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

claiming something is "not user replaceable" and voiding the warranty is illegal

it doesn't matter how dumb they are or how much they damaged the thing -- their warranty remains valid, albeit damage they did themselves will not be covered.

why don’t they do the world a favour and sue tbh

some russian dude did it for his iphone repair in Moscow and the court forced them to make a repairs centre in the city, so if we can do it with our lovely courts so can some yanks

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

coke posted:

and lol

or you could just order the extra ram/SSD when you buy the clearly non-user-servicable $6000 computer in the first loving place

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

or--and follow me on this one--you could just not drop $5000+ on a hermetically sealed desk ornament if you need it to stay current for more than 3 years

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

well yeah but i assume at that point you've already got your heart set on the computer that was glued together at the factory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
lol at defending anti-consumer practices of corporate giants