Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GoneRampant posted:

This is one of my favorite missions in the game. After a lot of DMS forcing firefights, having a full area like this where social stealth was encouraged and you could talk your way through the entire area was a gem.

This is honestly the biggest reason I feel Hong Kong stands head and shoulders above DMS and Dragonfall - I'd say about 75% of fights can be totally avoided if you're charming enough and know the right things to say.

Going quiet is absolutely something you will be able to do in most circumstances. On the flipside, there's enough neat cyberware and good adept poo poo that you can go loud too, if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

KataraniSword posted:

This is honestly the biggest reason I feel Hong Kong stands head and shoulders above DMS and Dragonfall - I'd say about 75% of fights can be totally avoided if you're charming enough and know the right things to say.

Going quiet is absolutely something you will be able to do in most circumstances. On the flipside, there's enough neat cyberware and good adept poo poo that you can go loud too, if you want.

Thanks for reminding me that I never actually finished Hong Kong and desperately need to remedy that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I really like this run for several reasons, primarily because of the humanization of the Knight Errant guards and the corporate folks like the ork and the couple buying skillsofts for their son. Like, even that couple seems snobby and uppity, but the man does show some degree of regret for talking like a prick. It's a very small thing, but it's just enough. Like others said, it can be very easy to forget the human element when it comes to runs, be it with guards you mow down, or office clerks whose lives you ruin by breaking into their office and rifling through their poo poo, turning them into a security liability that is immediately terminated. And a lot of moral quandaries in Shadowrun fall completely flat if you forget about that element - you never really stop to think just how many lives you ruin in the average run, even discounting those you murder directly.

This run, amongst others, also shows that the most powerful Etiquette would be one that isn't in the game at all - "Wageslave". You can talk Corporate, Academic and whatnot, and get far, but if you really want to talk your way through some dirty runs, being able to speak the wageslave language is the most powerful tool of them all. Because no matter what we're talking in Shadowrun - somewhere, there's wageslaves running it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheMcD posted:

I really like this run for several reasons, primarily because of the humanization of the Knight Errant guards and the corporate folks like the ork and the couple buying skillsofts for their son. Like, even that couple seems snobby and uppity, but the man does show some degree of regret for talking like a prick. It's a very small thing, but it's just enough. Like others said, it can be very easy to forget the human element when it comes to runs, be it with guards you mow down, or office clerks whose lives you ruin by breaking into their office and rifling through their poo poo, turning them into a security liability that is immediately terminated. And a lot of moral quandaries in Shadowrun fall completely flat if you forget about that element - you never really stop to think just how many lives you ruin in the average run, even discounting those you murder directly.

This run, amongst others, also shows that the most powerful Etiquette would be one that isn't in the game at all - "Wageslave". You can talk Corporate, Academic and whatnot, and get far, but if you really want to talk your way through some dirty runs, being able to speak the wageslave language is the most powerful tool of them all. Because no matter what we're talking in Shadowrun - somewhere, there's wageslaves running it.

Yep.

Chains and weakest links. You don't get past the scientist who devoted his whole life to a project half as easy as you can handle the poor bastard drawing minimum wage to guard a widget he doesn't even vaguely understand.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A big improvement over the first game is just how many working stiffs you can talk with.
Gives you a perspective about daily life in the sixth world.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Given a lot of the ways you can talk to wage-slaves and the responses and such, I don't think 'Wage-slave' is a missing etiquette so much as every character already has that etiquette unlisted. It's a thought I wouldn't have had if you didn't mention the wage-slave thing, but it makes too much sense now that I've had it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Barton Fink posted:

...Jesus. Yeah. I know what it feels
like, when things get all balled up
at the head office. It puts you
through hell, Barton. So I help people
out. I just wish someone would do as
much for me...

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

chiefnewo posted:

I like Jana. They do a good job of showing a regular person caught up in all this Shadowrunning crap.

She's not really a regular person, though. She's actually damned good with her pistol, and she's got exceedingly good technical skills to rewire a building on the fly like this without alerting the security systems.

ETA: Also, as scary as brain surgery on a young child is, it's only different in degree from what's going on right now when you look at upper class families freaking out about their kids getting into the right day care and pre-school. I have no doubt that those same parents would give their kids experimental tech to make sure they could keep up with their fellow UES trust fund babies.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 23, 2018

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

People already get plastic surgeries for children and those have way more complications than crazy future tech for rich assholes.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

As with all bad runs paying far too little, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

My guess is that James, by virtue of being the dickbaggiest, is being set up for a fall here. Maybe his meeting is actually something our mysterious employers want him to miss, or maybe they need a plodding idiot scapegoat to leave behind so that KE don't flip their poo poo at the dead guards.

And yeah, Janna probably has more going on then meets the eye. I'm kinda shocked a experienced shadowrunner like Rosa just took "innocent ol' me is just a innocent ol' person" schtick at face value but I guess plot convenience.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
this is an excellent mission in many regards, and one of them is that it feels the most like an actual first run in a game of Shadowrun

complete with "you know this is going to poo poo. the question is when, and how."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just want to see muscle-elf suplex James while screaming in frustration in a language none of them understand, is that so much to ask.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
So right now we have at least two LPs of different games with a James who is an rear end in a top hat and hates immigrants.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

SOLarian posted:

So right now we have at least two LPs of different games with a James who is an rear end in a top hat and hates immigrants.

What's the other one?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Conot posted:

And yeah, Janna probably has more going on then meets the eye. I'm kinda shocked a experienced shadowrunner like Rosa just took "innocent ol' me is just a innocent ol' person" schtick at face value but I guess plot convenience.

I guess the intent of the "job interview" is to go along with it, so she is. I doubt you'd get extra points for trying to guess the "real" test, this is all clearly set up this way for a reason.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

SOLarian posted:

What's the other?

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Soylent Pudding posted:

What's the other?

The Dark Id is doing an LP of Koudelka here. It's pretty good!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

She's not really a regular person, though. She's actually damned good with her pistol, and she's got exceedingly good technical skills to rewire a building on the fly like this without alerting the security systems.

ETA: Also, as scary as brain surgery on a young child is, it's only different in degree from what's going on right now when you look at upper class families freaking out about their kids getting into the right day care and pre-school. I have no doubt that those same parents would give their kids experimental tech to make sure they could keep up with their fellow UES trust fund babies.

Of course, studies have indicated good kindergartens and pre-schools do very little for a kid's future prospects, but when you've got a lot of money, you can afford to throw some at longshots.

And the other James is in Koudelka.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I'm convinced the dickbag mage and the out of her depth dwarf gal are there specifically to make you forget the elf is even there, same reason the guy speaks foreign. Totally expecting him to suddenly do something awesome, something along the lines of turning into a dragon or something.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it never occurred to me think janna was some kind of spy

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AriadneThread posted:

it never occurred to me think janna was some kind of spy

That's exactly the sort of quality you look for in a good spy.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

KataraniSword posted:

:tinfoil:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

KataraniSword posted:

...are- are you a spy?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The most valuable thing in a spy's arsenal is 'Hey buddy, I forgot my keys, can you swipe me in?'

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Night10194 posted:

The most valuable thing in a spy's arsenal is 'Hey buddy, I forgot my keys, can you swipe me in?'

That's always a shadowrunner's plan A. When that fails then out come the assault rifles and laser axes.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Social engineering is the ultimate hacking technique. Unless you have a military grade cyberdeck with high end programs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This is also true in real life.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
One of my favorite things to do in the tabletop was use the Matrix, not to directly steal the thing I want, but to essentially create props that made the social engineering easier. Fake intelligence reports, fake identities that sort of thing.

"Listen buddy see this badge? I'm a KE Captain and I'm telling you that Shadowrunners are coming here to steal the asset and we need to evacuate it and you RIGHT NOW. Now please step into this van. Don't mind the troll who is 90% chrome and wearing a pink mohawk, that's Officer Perkins, he's fresh off an undercover assignment."

White Coke
May 29, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

Of course, studies have indicated good kindergartens and pre-schools do very little for a kid's future prospects, but when you've got a lot of money, you can afford to throw some at longshots.

And when you factor in all the underperforming and troubled students who get kicked out and the greater financial resources, private schools do worse than public schools. But then a good education isn't their purpose, it's all about networking with other children of privilege.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Making money and networking for rich people? Sounds like what the parents are worried about is working perfectly to me in the Shadowrun universe!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

Social engineering is the ultimate hacking technique. Unless you have a military grade cyberdeck with high end programs.

In later editions you can hack people's brains (If they're foolish enough to connect it to the internet, which many people are). Achieve your social engineering goals by first installing a personafix on them!

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

The Lone Badger posted:

In later editions you can hack people's brains (If they're foolish enough to connect it to the internet, which many people are). Achieve your social engineering goals by first installing a personafix on them!

This also happens at this point in the timeline, at least in the fluff. One of the megacorps (Fuchi maybe?) top level systems don't have black ice that kills through lethal biofeedback. Instead, the decker feels a little funny afterwards, but nothing to worry about. Shortly afterwards, they find themselves showing up at the nearest corp office confessing their crime, telling them everything they know, and volunteering to perform a suicide mission in penance.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I dont know posted:

This also happens at this point in the timeline, at least in the fluff. One of the megacorps (Fuchi maybe?) top level systems don't have black ice that kills through lethal biofeedback. Instead, the decker feels a little funny afterwards, but nothing to worry about. Shortly afterwards, they find themselves showing up at the nearest corp office confessing their crime, telling them everything they know, and volunteering to perform a suicide mission in penance.

Reminds me of this hacker in Japan. Got pretty famous for a bit, hit some megacorps. At least, if it was all one guy.

In the one video of him, you can see his face. Basically I thought what I'd do is pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes, which should have made him easy to identify, but nobody seemed to be able to spot him. Kinda spooky.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

chiasaur11 posted:

Of course, studies have indicated good kindergartens and pre-schools do very little for a kid's future prospects
Only if you stop trying to get them into good schools after kindergarten and pre-school.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

chiasaur11 posted:

Throw enough money at any Ivy League school and they'll accept your failson. Just ask Jared Kushner. And add an encephalon and skillwires and tutors to help them pass standardize tests for future J-Kushes.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Also your base squad in Berlin is competent! They're nto the best but they can handle most things that one would expect a reasonable Shadowrun world to throw at them (reasonable not being 'we think a dragon is personally cheesed wtih us, but they're also smart enough to 'we need to get as many guns as possible to deal wtih this, scattering and vansihig is a no-go') so there's that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Only if you stop trying to get them into good schools after kindergarten and pre-school.

It's more that waiting to spend the big money until the kid's in elementary school proper doesn't seem to do any harm.

That's a tip for all you billionaires out there! If you save money on kindergarten bribes, that's more money available for the actually important college bribes.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Conot posted:

Rosa would put Janna in the category of "people who are likely to betray me at some point on this mission" along with the other two.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
When you think about it, the guards are the people you can trust the most on this mission. That's a thing to cherish.

Sorry for having you shocked, my only friend K-E guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013
thing that has me convinced Janna isn't who she says is that she killed those guards without a care

unless thats just a gameplay thing and their alive