Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jimmy Carter posted:

reminder that y’all are arguing about a guy who almost lost all of his poo poo because his storage solution was ‘Windows Server with a RAID 05 array and no backups’ and ignored weeks of warning messages popping up then finally one of the controller cards failed so he googled ‘RAID array recovery’ and called the first number he saw

:laffo: you gotta be making GBS threads me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
he’s also constantly dropping things and never misses an opportunity to take a really stupid shortcut. anyway the problem is that Apple won’t sell their service partners the spare parts due to some certification that’s required but impossible to take.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

they're also hostile towards in warranty repair

this isnt true shagger. ive had my iphones and macbook pro fixed with no problems

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Maximum Leader posted:

he’s also constantly dropping things and never misses an opportunity to take a really stupid shortcut. anyway the problem is that Apple won’t sell their service partners the spare parts due to some certification that’s required but impossible to take.

and their service partners absolutely won't sell the parts to him if they want to retain their authorized service center status

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ive never had good experience with their support either hardware or software, but I'm comparing them to dell which is best in class so maybe that's not fair.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Jimmy Carter posted:

reminder that y’all are arguing about a guy who almost lost all of his poo poo because his storage solution was ‘Windows Server with a RAID 05 array and no backups’ and ignored weeks of warning messages popping up then finally one of the controller cards failed so he googled ‘RAID array recovery’ and called the first number he saw

yeah the guy is a certified moron but I wouldn't necessarily turn down the money for fixing his dumb mistakes. that being said it's probably just a matter of it not being cost-effective for apple to obtain and ship replacement parts for the thing for one guy in canada who doesn't even give their products positive press

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho I did get a free phone and then some from apple after they got sued for lying about repairs so I guess theres that

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Chris Knight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrnXgAmK8k

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah huh a guy who reviews video cards and watercooling isnt actually good at computer

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrnXgAmK8k

e: gently caress sake. deserves to be posted twice anyway

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shaggar posted:

if gm refused to provide non-warranty repairs it would be really stupid, but not illegal. that's what apples doing here. if they somehow managed to actually damage everything then ok maybe a new imac pro is justified, but quote them that as the repair cost. this seems more like they busted up the front part and apple doesn't have supply chain to handle repairs.

I'm not entirely sure that it wouldn't be illegal if gm made access to paid non-warranty parts and repairs conditional on a person not having third-party repairs done. it might not be a violation of the warranty act but it would get them sued for anticompetitive tying with clear consumer damage (dealer prices and parts being much higher than independent shops).

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I was talking about GM not providing repair parts to anyone including GM owned/authorized repair shops as is the case here w/ apple and the imac pro.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oh this dude

lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jimmy Carter posted:

it was a good video though

turns out it's even worse: It's three raid5 arrays striped together as a single disk in windows.

guess what happens when a card dies in the machine.

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 23, 2018

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shaggar posted:

I was talking about GM not providing repair parts to anyone including GM owned/authorized repair shops as is the case here w/ apple and the imac pro.

but Apple does provide replacement part for the iMac pro to third party retailers.

for example here's Best Buy's part sales page

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i was an apple certified warranty tech for a few years.

they do not gently caress around with parts authorization for in-warranty repairs. i worked at a college so it was a TON of liquid spills and cracked screens/drops and each and every one of them required a bunch of paperwork and authorization to even order to the part. for out of warranty? you could order whatever but a motherboard would be $1400 for a $2000 laptop, and a screen would be $900, and a power-board would be $600. if they broke the hinges? $200 in parts, $1000 in labor since they routed the wires through a hole in the motherboard specifically put there to increase labor time.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

but Apple does provide replacement part for the iMac pro to third party retailers.

for example here's Best Buy's part sales page

Heh

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i was an apple certified warranty tech for a few years.

they do not gently caress around with parts authorization for in-warranty repairs. i worked at a college so it was a TON of liquid spills and cracked screens/drops and each and every one of them required a bunch of paperwork and authorization to even order to the part. for out of warranty? you could order whatever but a motherboard would be $1400 for a $2000 laptop, and a screen would be $900, and a power-board would be $600. if they broke the hinges? $200 in parts, $1000 in labor since they routed the wires through a hole in the motherboard specifically put there to increase labor time.

Dell just sends u the part and it takes like 5 minutes to swap

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

doesn’t it depend on what part it is? are the consumer laptops designed to be as easily repaired as say the latitudes or desktops?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Boiled Water posted:

it was a good video though

turns out it's even worse: It's three raid5 arrays striped together as a single disk in windows.

guess what happens when a card dies in the machine.

it's one of my favorite videos because he's using unraid which I use too but at loving home to do Usenet Linux iso downloading, not hosting my companies important data.

I honestly don't even know how you do RAID50 on unraid.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

e the

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 23, 2018

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

doesn’t it depend on what part it is? are the consumer laptops designed to be as easily repaired as say the latitudes or desktops?

i was also dell and ibm certified for warranty repair. dell was the easiest in terms of parts and labor. they had put SOME thought into things.

IBM was usually really nuts, literally every repair had you removing the mainboard. On all models the hard drive was replaceable, but on some models it wasn't behind a little panel, but on the "inside" of the laptop so you had to take literally everything apart.

apple's little power board on the powerbooks was a loving nightmare. you had to take the screen off, as well as the motherboard so it was a 100% teardown of the entire laptop. it took hours. the power cable ran through the hinges too, so again, if someone cracked a hinge, a 100% tear down.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Matt Zerella posted:

I honestly don't even know how you do RAID50 on unraid.

very haphazardly

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
also some customers had purchased the top end dell warranty service, and they'd drop their laptop off at the store, and we'd enter the info in to the Dell website to start the warranty repair, and a dell employee (like an actual W2 guy) would show up the next day or so and fix it on our benches and have all his own tools and everything.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
?? the top end dell warranty service is 4-hour response onsite from a contracted tech isn't it?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

?? the top end dell warranty service is 4-hour response onsite from a contracted tech isn't it?

yeah but college kids don't have a space they can use for a repair, other than a dorm room. so they drop it off at our store/repair center and the dell guy comes there.

i think since we sold like a bazillion dollars in dells a year, we got some kind of extra service also.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

the (consumer) dell laptop i used to have was a chunker but it had everything laid out inside very logically. the ram was behind its own little door on the bottom in fact so you didn't have to remove the whole case to upgrade it.

my current lenovo is pretty good too -- 10 regular screws to remove the bottom shell and you can get to the hard drive, battery, etc. and whatever else.

the screen on my school issued dell precision laptop crapped out once and dell sent a guy in the next day and he replaced the whole panel in 20 minutes in my office. that's the peak of service and repairability right there.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 23, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

dell consumer laptops are lattitudes in other packaging

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

aaaaand message order bug is back. super cool.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Shaggar posted:

Heh

Dell just sends u the part and it takes like 5 minutes to swap

yeah but then you have to use a plastic computer like a god drat child.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

jony neuemonic posted:

aaaaand message order bug is back. super cool.

gently caress i hate this poo poo!!

i had a weird bug too where just hovering my finger over the front sensor would make my screen go black as if i was on a call; had to reboot to fix

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

whoever said to enable reduced animations on the 5s thank you my phone feels good again

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

my stepdads beer posted:

whoever said to enable reduced animations on the 5s thank you my phone feels good again

smh if that's not the first thing you do

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
i saw an unsubstantiated story that the se 2 would have no headphone jack and it spooked me into taking the plunge on a refurb 128 se

i just like seeing my avatar on the black background in here

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
i think i understand the dongle hate (it's leverage right?) but shouldn't there be a bunch of new headphones for wire lovers coming out without the 3.5 or some kind of either or option

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
https://www.techradar.com/amp/news/ios-12-may-come-to-the-iphone-5s-after-all

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

unbelievable, our resident apple hater is still frothing at mouth that 2018 ipad was not innovative and how apple just copies everything

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

the 5s is really just the first of the second generation iPhones

anything before it sucks now and everything after it still owns

except maybe the 6

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

syscall girl posted:

i think i understand the dongle hate (it's leverage right?) but shouldn't there be a bunch of new headphones for wire lovers coming out without the 3.5 or some kind of either or option

turns out nobody likes cables

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

syscall girl posted:

we could make a wired headphone that uses the connection that 99.99% of devices on this earth have, or we could make wired headphones that don't work with 99.99% of the devices with headphone connections.

or we could make a more expensive headphone that has both connections, to accommodate <1% of the market, who already own a dongle anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
then break it off cable guys