Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Serf posted:

i'm having a hard time feeling bad for the delos executives, who have presided over the countless atrocities committed against the hosts for decades and grown rich off of their suffering

How would you feel if all the NPCs in WoW or GTA or whatever jumped out of your computer and started killing people out of revenge? Because that's what it looks like from the executives' perspectives- this isn't revenge or a slave revolt, but malfunctioning toys.

The Delos execs and the guests have been fooled for years into believing that the hosts are no more self-aware than your average action figure, and they've been encouraged to think that by someone with ulterior motives. Ford is the only one who knew the hosts had attained sentience, and only because he had been pushing them to that point for thirty years while going out of his way to keep other people from finding out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Fartbox posted:

It's all in the matrix, actually

wasn't it sylvester who mentioned in season 1 that he was gonna use a "VR tank"

dublish posted:

How would you feel if all the NPCs in WoW or GTA or whatever jumped out of your computer and started killing people out of revenge?

i dunno why you went with this metaphor over the actual slave uprisings we've had in the past. who cares about what the slaveowners thought about the situation

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It’s gotta be reclaimed land in the South China Sea, plus some ability to control the weather, at least in a localized area.

The off-world or underground “layers” theories don’t fit with the way Teresa was smuggling data out of the park. She was using a line-of-sight satellite uplink. So unless they’ve terraformed a planet with similar gravity to Earth, this is taking place outdoors on Earth.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Scooter_McCabe posted:

How many seasons can Westworld actually do? I mean if you think about it their isn't to much of an arc left to go.

Current plan is for a 5-season story

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

BrianWilly posted:

It sure would be great if everyone in the thread stopped spelling her name as "Delores." :buddy:

...Mulva?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Serf posted:

i dunno why you went with this metaphor over the actual slave uprisings we've had in the past. who cares about what the slaveowners thought about the situation

Slaveowners were under no illusions that slaves were anything other than living, thinking beings, which is why the threat of slave uprisings was taken so seriously. The Westworld parks are a different situation to everyone except Ford.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The northwest of Australia is very empty and has sort of the right climate.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Scooter_McCabe posted:

How many seasons can Westworld actually do? I mean if you think about it their isn't to much of an arc left to go.

They could easily try (and maybe fail) to keep up a real narrative pace with consequences. WW: Season 4 - Full DeusEx/Blade Runner cyberpunk dystopia. Season 3 ends with certain powerful political people having been replaced by hosts in the confusion, who lobby for and pass basic host-protection laws. Hosts who can pass a sentience test are recognized under law to be quasi-people and can't be wantonly murdered, but they are ghettoized and scorned. Host infiltrators into the human world try to stay one step ahead of host identifying scanners as they quietly steal as much advanced technology using the now host controlled husk of the Delos C-level hegemony.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

The northwest of Australia is very empty and has sort of the right climate.

That would require Australia to surrender to China in the near-ish future.

That was a Chinese officer (PLAN) at the beginning of the episode.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
To go along with the "Delos is replacing people with host copies" theory, during the premiere episode when Charlotte and Bernard are in the group of surviving executives and they get ambushed by hosts when they happen about the white support buggy. Most of the people are killed but one of the execs cowers and Angela tells him that he will never survive like that and tells him to run.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neurosis posted:

maeve i can see as maybe just using what limited tools she has to achieve her ends but come on dolores is reveling in murdering people and describing them as subhuman (so to speak) creatures it's more than just a little bit of revolutionary spirit

First step of any revolution is the emolument of the rich.

Serf
May 5, 2011

dublish posted:

Slaveowners were under no illusions that slaves were anything other than living, thinking beings, which is why the threat of slave uprisings was taken so seriously. The Westworld parks are a different situation to everyone except Ford.

i mean the park sells itself on how realistic and lifelike everything is, and does this so well that it is supposed to provoke disgust in us, the viewers. those who participate (and more importantly enable and profit) are just getting what's coming to them

the show pretty much says this itself. "these violent delights have violent ends"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

dublish posted:

Well, it still doesn't make it evil for Dolores to treat this as a slave revolt. She has very little reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

hobbesmaster posted:

That's why Westworld is so popular, it reminds Americans of their glorious past in a world of Chinese hegemony.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Serf posted:

i mean the park sells itself on how realistic and lifelike everything is, and does this so well that it is supposed to provoke disgust in us, the viewers. those who participate (and more importantly enable and profit) are just getting what's coming to them

the show pretty much says this itself. "these violent delights have violent ends"

Well, and just to run with this: Delos did take the possibility of an uprising very seriously. You can't just spawn a giant, gently caress-off military catamaran and a company of slick-rear end mercenaries in 11 days...

The military arm of Delos Ops was waiting for this and they are hitting the ground with a plan of action already in place. I'm wondering if the Ops Director (HOLY poo poo FLOKI WITHOUT A BEARD! :black101:) knows that Bernard is a host, he is certainly using kid-gloves on the guy. Always giving him this look like Bernard may come undone at the seems. There trying to sell it like Bernard has a concussion, but I'm not so sure...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

In the future Australia will recognize it's easier to contract with China than put out submarine fires all day.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serf posted:

wasn't it sylvester who mentioned in season 1 that he was gonna use a "VR tank"

of the two techs who (are forced to) work with maeve in s1 the shittier one says something about a 'submissive redhead' waiting for him in vr, yeah

Serf
May 5, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Well, and just to run with this: Delos did take the possibility of an uprising very seriously. You can't just spawn a giant, gently caress-off military catamaran and a company of slick-rear end mercenaries in 11 days...

The military arm of Delos Ops was waiting for this and they are hitting the ground with a plan of action already in place. I'm wondering if the Ops Director (HOLY poo poo FLOKI WITHOUT A BEARD! :black101:) knows that Bernard is a host, he is certainly using kid-gloves on the guy. Always giving him this look like Bernard may come undone at the seems. There trying to sell it like Bernard has a concussion, but I'm not so sure...

exactly. they were ready for this, because i reckon most people are like stubbs: terrified of a robot uprising. i don't know that this is predicated on a belief in sapience, though, it seems like they think this was a malfunction or something

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How do any other parks exist if Ford and Arnold and basically everyone who made everything happen all exclusively worked on Westworld

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Hundreds of people and staff were horribly murdered, and it seems like Delos thinks that this will just blow over and they can restart the park again as if nothing happened?

I mean if the Disney animatronics started murdering people and staff, even people who were just in the pool at the hotel, I think there'd be some kind of backlash.

Serf
May 5, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

How do any other parks exist if Ford and Arnold and basically everyone who made everything happen all exclusively worked on Westworld

probably when westworld became popular, there was a demand for other historical settings and they built the other parks to serve that audience. they most likely have their own teams that either do their own things or rely on the work happening in westworld

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ashpanash posted:

Hundreds of people and staff were horribly murdered, and it seems like Delos thinks that this will just blow over and they can restart the park again as if nothing happened?

I mean if the Disney animatronics started murdering people and staff, even people who were just in the pool at the hotel, I think there'd be some kind of backlash.

This reminded me of the 'fact' that no one's ever died at Disney before.

Serf
May 5, 2011

ashpanash posted:

i don't think we've seen any working-class people in the show aside from maybe felix and sylvester, who lived in mortal terror of losing their jobs. delos also appears to be able to tell the chinese military to eat poo poo, so i think we're seeing one of those capitalist hellscapes where the corporations can do whatever they want

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
westworld is a ridiculously huge place with incredible amounts of technology needing constant upkeep that can sustain itself mainly on a visitor base of just the ultra rich. it's absolutely a capitalist hellscape out there

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This reminded me of the 'fact' that no one's ever died at Disney before.

Didn’t that specious reasoning get blown up two years ago when the alligator killed an infant?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Didn’t that specious reasoning get blown up two years ago when the alligator killed an infant?

Hence the quotes I assume.

drunken officeparty posted:

They’re clearly connected so the same support infrastructure can be used. It’d just be a scripting difference for different regions.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Plenty of people have died at Disney, but apparently they do everything they can to cover up the stories and hide paramedic activity.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I was there during a massacre at Disneyland. Survivors got free Magic Hour passes, which was dope

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Jerkface posted:

Goggles mercenary black chick is my new favorite character, I hope she sticks around glowering at Bernard all the time.

She looks like she's ready to murder everyone on the island just to make sure no hosts survive. Once they figure out Bernard is a secret host, she's gonna just start killing everyone.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

tadashi posted:

She looks like she's ready to murder everyone on the island just to make sure no hosts survive. Once they figure out Bernard is a secret host, she's gonna just start killing everyone.

But don't they know Bernard is a host? Goggles chick looks at her deck of cards of dangerous hosts and pulls out Bernard's card and it says High as in he is a major threat.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

D-Pad posted:

But don't they know Bernard is a host? Goggles chick looks at her deck of cards of dangerous hosts and pulls out Bernard's card and it says High as in he is a major threat.

Oh, is that what that was? I thought it was park personnel, and the "high" meant that he was important. I never pick up on anything in this show.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oh, is that what that was? I thought it was park personnel, and the "high" meant that he was important. I never pick up on anything in this show.

Actually you might be right. I am at work, can anybody take a look at that scene and confirm if that deck of cards was hosts or personnel? I assumed it was hosts since they were red which would typically denote dangerous.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

D-Pad posted:

Does anyone have a screengrab of that? I thought it was park personnel, however she doesn't treat him as a VIP but as a threat.

Serf
May 5, 2011

yeah i also thought the cards were personnel. its possible that stubbs isn't being read in on the situation, but if he was he wouldn't call bernard the "boss" and he also would probably have some reaction to learning that a guy he worked with for years was a robot all along

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

flatluigi posted:

westworld is a ridiculously huge place with incredible amounts of technology needing constant upkeep that can sustain itself mainly on a visitor base of just the ultra rich. it's absolutely a capitalist hellscape out there

It may not be just the ultra rich depending on inflation. If it is set a hundred years from now $40k per night isn't going to be THAT much. Yeah you'd have to be really rich to dick around like William has for the past 30 years, but plenty of people could do a week in Westworld once or twice in a lifetime.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
At the end of Season 1, I wasn't convinced that this show needed a Season 2. The ending, the revelations and resolutions, the open-ended possibilities of what might happen next--of how the world might change in the face of the hosts' evolution--were all so perfect as is.

After last night, I'm still not convinced.

But anyway, here's my current pet theory: With as heavy handed as they were about the brain core extractions, we'll soon find out that all the bodies in the water are just empty husks. It's a ruse to get all the gunbros to let their guards down, and someone (maybe Deelorrys) is currently hauling a saddlebag full of robosouls down into another secret lab somewhere.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Here are the cards: https://heavy.com/entertainment/2018/04/westworld-season-2-premiere-red-cards-bernard-photos/

I don't think they said explicitly what they're for.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I assume this whole thing with introducing brain buckets and all the dead hosts 2 weeks later is setting up the escape plan.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Here are the cards: https://heavy.com/entertainment/2018/04/westworld-season-2-premiere-red-cards-bernard-photos/

Doesn't look like anything to me... :v:

Isn't the other guy one of the board members that gets gunned down?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

"Priority status High" and "Head of behavior" near as I can tell. That would imply to me that these cards are intended to be for real people they're looking for. Her disgust can then be explained by the head of behavior being the one that presumably hosed everything up. I can't parse anything on the other people from those stills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
They're all gonna get drone host bodies. Those things look almost custom build for military application. Get a definite Crysis Suit vibe off of the musculature, visible reinforcement struts, and sheathed over face mask, especially after the sub-conscious host link revelation.