Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Frostbite is EA's engine so they bypass having to pay licensing fees to Epic, and they literally own the engine development team so if they want a complex or low-level feature, it can be added. DAI was the first RPG to use Frostbite, but MEA certainly won't be the last. Other EA studios using Frostbite will be able to take advantage of features added for Dragon Age, and vice versa.

Unreal started out as a strongly FPS-y engine that was a pain to do other types of game with, too. EA is playing the long game by diversifying Frostbite rather than relying on other companies engines or half a dozen different in-house engines that have to re-invent the wheel half a dozen times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Raygereio posted:

I'm 99% sure the ME1 planets were churned out by a fractal landscape generator.

So two things, to clarify what I mean:

1. They're definitely not procedurally generated as you play the game. I didn't follow Andromeda's development that much but it sounds like that was something they were planning on, a la no man's sky or minecraft or w/e

2. I agree with you that a lot of the terrain of those maps was probably generated by classic landscape algorithms BUT there's still some amount of detailing I think they did by hand. I distinctly remember certain maps had little roads sized for the Mako, and there's the crater where you fight the big worm thing*, and of course all the little prefab bunkers and whatnot had to be copy-pasted by hand.

In hindsight this probably seems pedantic af but my point is, the maps in ME1 actually were created by somebody beforehand, they're not made on the fly. They're still bland

*my brain keeps wanting to call it a nydus worm even though I know that's a starcraft thing

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I think EA's mandate that they all use Frostbite was reasonable, but I also don't know a ton about development so I don't have much room to talk.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Game engines are not dark magic, they're just all different ways of making the thing do the things you want to do. Proprietary systems have to be invented and implemented all the time on new projects, this isn't anything new, so Frostbite lacking some RPG interface tools should not have completely crippled the production like it did. There's nothing inherently wrong with Frostbite except that Bioware Montreal evidently had no programmers experienced in it whatsoever and licensed out absolutely everything to ex-Soviet bloc subsidiaries who ran face_rig_algorithm.exe and called it a day.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bioware Montreal probably could have had the best engine for shooter-RPGs imaginable and it wouldn't have covered up for the fact that no one really had any proper ideas for it and it was a blatant sequel-y cash grab

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Game engines are not dark magic, they're just all different ways of making the thing do the things you want to do. Proprietary systems have to be invented and implemented all the time on new projects, this isn't anything new, so Frostbite lacking some RPG interface tools should not have completely crippled the production like it did. There's nothing inherently wrong with Frostbite except that Bioware Montreal evidently had no programmers experienced in it whatsoever and licensed out absolutely everything to ex-Soviet bloc subsidiaries who ran face_rig_algorithm.exe and called it a day.

All right, fair enough. You're definitely right in that even if they did have to re-invent the wheel, a well-managed production would've accounted for that in the first place.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Bioware Montreal switched the software they were using to do faces and animations a couple of times during Andromeda's development, too, and the work they did on one couldn't be transferred. Andromeda was incredibly badly managed.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Andromeda isn't bad.

It certainly isn't great, either. And that's what's disappointing.

Andromeda is poo poo lmao

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Nah, not bad != good.

It's definitely not good though.

It's bad. Yes there are worse, in the same way as there are worse films than The Emoji Movie.
But it's still bad.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
The andrmeda memes were v. good & 🔥 tho

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I actually really like Andromeda. Not as much as the main trilogy, but I don't think it's really that bad. :shrug:

I mean, it had lots of bad stuff about it when it came out, but the later patches fixed a lot of the bad face stuff/animations. They even patched Peebee's gun so it was facing the right way around in that one cutscene.

This was never changed, though:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Andromeda is poo poo lmao
:goonsay:

Taear posted:

It's bad. Yes there are worse, in the same way as there are worse films than The Emoji Movie.
But it's still bad.
:goonsay:

This is hyperbole.

But Andromeda still isn't good.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i really liked the feel of moving around in andromeda with the jump pack and boosting around
the, uh, environment you moved around in wasn't so great, but the moving around was fun

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

PureRok posted:

I actually really like Andromeda. Not as much as the main trilogy, but I don't think it's really that bad. :shrug:

I mean, it had lots of bad stuff about it when it came out, but the later patches fixed a lot of the bad face stuff/animations. They even patched Peebee's gun so it was facing the right way around in that one cutscene.

This was never changed, though:

I stayed out of the Andramada, but the gif makes me think Bioware could have maayyyybe gotten away with calling it a space comedy instead. Especially with a character holding a laser zap gun backwards, wowzers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is Andromeda better or worse than DA2, hype aside? Because it sounds like most people's issues with DA2 eventually just boiled down to reused assets, while Andromeda had... a bunch of other problems.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is Andromeda better or worse than DA2, hype aside? Because it sounds like most people's issues with DA2 eventually just boiled down to reused assets, while Andromeda had... a bunch of other problems.

I think Andromeda is worse - my biggest issues are with overall gameplay design. The actual running, shooting, and jetpacking is pretty fun and the Nomad is fun once you get it upgraded. But it's so drat rare to actually get an adventure where you're just off doing poo poo for a while. 80% of the game or more is monotonous fetch quests and "go talk to this guy on one end of the galaxy, go click on something on a planet on the other end of the galaxy, then go to a third guy on a completely different hub city to turn it in" separated by lots of loading screens.

The biggest reason your mileage might vary, in my opinion, is your tolerance for poorly used open world nonsense. That game design fad needs to die.

Andromeda's UI is godawful to boot.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't have a seething hatred for DA2, so I'll call it about the same? Andromeda came out 5 years after ME3, but by the time they got done loving around and discarding ideas it ended up having about 18 months of actual dev time, I think. There's nothing inherently wrong with the characters or story in and of itself, but they ended up with an incomplete game and focused on the wrong things. Woo, look at all these side missions! Woo, they're almost universally stupid! Oops we didn't finish our animations! MEA combat is actually really good (don't ask me how they hosed up the MP but they managed), the profiles system is neat, and the game is really pretty. If they'd spent less time on the filler and more on the meat it probably would've gone over better.

Also I ordered one o' them hoodies from the BW store and it got here today. It's actually pretty nice, not the original $70 pricetag nice, but this was :10bux: and I'd call it a bargain if you can find something you like in your size.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Andromeda is worse than DA2. DA2, at the very least, is connected to Dragon Age as a whole. It fits into the narratives of Origins and Inquisition. Andromeda doesn't.

Also, I say that as someone who liked it more than most people.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I've been watching SFDebris's retrospective of DA2 lately and it is absolutely not a better game than Andromeda. I hated it when it came out and it has only gotten worse and more embarrassing with age. Although you could argue that it's more noteworthy than Andromeda - every moment of DA2 is agonizing to play or watch, but Andromeda just feels like neutral static the entire time, so take your pick.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DA2 feels like it has a reason for existing though. Andromeda doesn't. Andromeda never overcomes its incredibly awkward premise that it's a sequel that wants to have nothing at all to do with the three very successful games that came before it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
DA2 was better than Andromeda because it has enough emotional weight for me to hate characters in it, where with Andromeda I just hated myself for playing it instead of doing something more fun, like laundry or buying groceries.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
yeah DA2 is not a good game but it has an actual heart to it and your relationships with your party can be p. varied

ME:A is hollow all the way through

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Varric and Aveline are likeable and memorable characters. Anders blowing up the Chantry, Corypheus shoeing up and Qunari causing trouble were imporzant stepping stones for Inwuisition and beyond. And they were consistent with what came in Origins. Who was surprised that the mage-templar relationship collapsed? If you really listened to Sten, was the trouble with the Arishok unexpected?

SFDebris is right that Hawke has little agency, but DA2 is still important for the DA games going forward. And many of the bad parts are for once proveably not Bioware's fault.

The worst offenders are the asset reuse and the too short Act 3 (not enough development time), plus Orsino turning into an abomination (execs wanted a big boss fight). So that's EA's fault. And despite that, the DA team managed to make Inquisition, which was a good game.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

ApplesandOranges posted:

Better combat and environments, worse in ever other respect, so it depends what's most important to you in a game. For me the sheer dullness of almost all Andromeda's quests and NPCs is much the worst problem.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

That's not the only problem with DA2, no. Is it this time of the thread again? "DA2 is not actually that bad guys" :v:

ME:A wastes its premise almost immediately and almost every aspect of the game is thoroughly :mediocre:, but it's not aggressively bad like DA2. The only reason DA2 is "important" for the following game is because they took some of the actually good characters and some DLC plot development out of the terrible game and put them into a better one, but you could do the same with characters/plot from a novel. When it's not just awful like the mageocaust plot or the hilariously bad city, visuals and combat, the rest of DA2 is as forgettable and ultimately pointless as rebooting a sci-fi series in a different galaxy then doing everything exactly the same way again.

E: I'll agree DA2's best characters are better than ME:A's best characters, but it still had plenty of bad ones (also companions).

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 24, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

At least I liked DA2's characters.
I can't really say that for Andromeda.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
DA2 has lots of funny dialogue. While it’s not a great RPG in a technical sense, the humour elevates it over many other games.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The one way DA2 is better is the game is often unintentionally funny in a "trainwrecks are fun to watch" sort of way, so I can see the entertainment value.

MEA had some funny glitches (many of which have been patched since) but it usually evokes the feeling of "what is this lame poo poo, :frogout:"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Like I compared before, Andromeda is a lot like the Emoji movie. It's got some technical flair and had a lot spent on it but it's soulless and awful.

DA2 is more like San Andreas. The people involved seem to be having fun and although it's still mostly poo poo there's a bit of something in there you might enjoy.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I like to think that maybe with more time DA2 could have been not-poo poo, but I don't feel like more time would have helped elevate MEA beyond the soulless dreck it was.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I hate the art design in DA2. Tbh Origins looks better to me. Da2 looks so cartoonish at times. The first time I played it the way the Darkspawn looked was a huge turn off immediately.

That said I've beaten Da2 a few times and I actually do like it. Mark of the Assassin is a fun dlc.

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.
I bought DA2 quite a while after it came out (like 6 months, maybe?) so I went into it with incredibly low expectations, as everyone seemed to hate it. I ended up actually quite liking it as a result.

I won't dispute that the game is lazy as gently caress (in terms of reusing maps, being set only in the one city and its surroundings, and long corridors and whatnot), but I actually prefer my games to be more linear. It's why I disliked Inquisition, it felt like a MMORPG without the MM (read: other loving people) bit... which is just... bad? The only thing I wasn't a huge fan of in DA2 is that the combat is more "arcadey" and less "strategic", which should/could translate to "more fun", but since a lot of enemies (even just "random-evil-pleb-you-encounter-on-the-street") are massive sacks of hit points that take about 100 chops to the face with your giant-fuckoff 2-handed sword (or whatever), it just feels a bit off to me. There are also some really bizarre aesthetic choices, like making elves all look like weird bug-eyed monstrosities and having literally every woman (including the player character's mother who is implied to be about 50 or so, but not the default female player character herself) sport enormous, gravity-defying breasts.

Anyway, for those who have heard bad things about DA2 but never played it: if you can find it on the cheap and manage your expectations, it ain't that bad, yo. Try to look at it as its own thing rather than a sequel to (the admittedly far superior) Origins.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Burning Sensation posted:

I bought DA2 quite a while after it came out (like 6 months, maybe?) so I went into it with incredibly low expectations, as everyone seemed to hate it. I ended up actually quite liking it as a result.

Anyway, for those who have heard bad things about DA2 but never played it: if you can find it on the cheap and manage your expectations, it ain't that bad, yo. Try to look at it as its own thing rather than a sequel to (the admittedly far superior) Origins.

My main issue with DA2 (beyond recycled areas) is the time skips being shittily done. It's like it's been days. And often like you haven't seen each other in the intervening time at all.

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.

Taear posted:

My main issue with DA2 (beyond recycled areas) is the time skips being shittily done. It's like it's been days. And often like you haven't seen each other in the intervening time at all.

Honestly, I haven't played the actual game in a really long time, so I don't remember that specific thing being bad or good (though I do remember it covers like 10 years?), but the story is pretty generic in general. It's not bad enough to put me off playing it or anything, but it does feel like "filler", kinda like a "MEEEEAANWHILE......" to the previous game's story, which is actually good and cool. It's like "here's a game set in the Dragon Age universe to tide you over until we feel like actually putting effort into making a REAL sequel, peasant".

I do remember liking Varric and hating pretty much everyone else, but I don't really play these games to be best buds with pixel men, so I dunno. Varric was a pretty cool pixel man, to be fair. There was also an elf who was either annoying, or amusing, seemingly dependent on which way the wind was blowing. Everyone else was as GENERIC NPC ALLY as it gets.

I remember Qunari being involved and a hilarious Benny Hill style boss battle where he's literally invincible unless you run around like a lunatic and kite him in an attempt to not get one-shot by his enormous penis-compensating axe, but that's as far as my recollection of the main story (excluding DLC) goes, really (also aside from the usual templar/mage shenanigans). I actually remember this with fondness because of how epic the trailer made that particular boss battle look and how ridiculous it actually is in practice. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment, who knows?

Story is, once again: mages are bad, but maybe not! But templars are bad too so... uh.. yeah?. Now with 50% more Qunari.

Standard Dragon Age fare...? v :) v

Just to be clear, I totally understand why people dislike this game, and it's definitely justified, I just think that, given the chance, there is actually some fun to be squeezed out of this title if you can look past its er... blemishes.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m a big defender of DA2 and while it’s recycling of assets is lazy and cheap, I vastly prefer its story and characters to that in Origins.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh, have we entered the "DA2 was bad!/No it wasn't!" cycle of the thread again? Suppose it's as good a time as any to mention that I played DA2 after all the hullabaloo had came and went, and... you know, I didn't find it bad either. I was expecting a completely reprehensible, borderline unplayable turd, and the product I got was... aggressively mediocre, but hardly the catastrophe I'd come to expect.

I mean, when you come down to it, it just seems like a game that was put out before it was done. And there were certain ideas that were good. I liked the idea of the smaller scaled story of a guy trying to get by, I liked the idea of the friendship/rivalry system because it allowed you to speak your actual mind about your companions and their ideas without worrying that they might leave you... I didn't really like the new combat because I'm one of those weirdos that like fooling around with the strategic battle camera, but I see the point of streamlining things; not everyone wants to fool around in a single battle for hours. I don't even have a lot of problems with the plotting or the writing, really- it might have leaned too heavily on... certain crutches of drama to get the point across, let's say, but I see where they were going with the plot beats, and it's fine. It's OK. It's not great, and sure, it would have been nice to see more character choice reflected in the story and world, but the bottom line is, this is still a written property being produced by a few people and it's not like they can possibly account for all that might happen. They had a plan for how the cataclysm, the inciting incident that caused the Mage Revolt, would happen, a plan that you can see the traces of all through Origins as well; it didn't come from nowhere, as some people claimed. But that's kinda a whole other posts.

That having been said... the visual presentation was not good. The artistic design of all characters was rough and got rougher at the lower settings, and even beyond the revolution was just plain weird. The animation is janky, hilariously so in some places, and the combat seems a bit too dumbed down at times, until you're just pushing a button over and over until the bad guys fall down. There were not enough environments to justify the amount of time we spent in them, doing largely the same quest of fetching a thing/ killing some guys (some people think Inquisition feels more like an MMO, but for me, it doesn't have a patch on DA2), there were not enough character models to accommodate the amount of characters or their ages (you really do notice it when everyone has the same male/female model, I promise; happened in the first mass effect, happened here) and as had been mentioned, the timeskips were handled poorly, with a matter of months/years being treated like an absence of a few weeks by all of the characters involved. They could have fixed that with a few more passes, introduced a few more comments ingame about a shared history between these characters- indeed, ALL of these problems might have been at least mitigated by another year or two of development. But no, they rushed it out... and what would have been merely a disappointment was compounded by massive hype before and... all the stuff that came after. The condescending dismissal of arguments, the obvious shill reviews, the endless parade of people telling us what we were actually playing was great and we were just too fill-in-the-blank to really get it, maaan....I'm not loving going to bat for that behavior, because that is indefensible. But I see some of the things we said and did back then (especially in the really kind of uncomfortable misogyny of some of the stuff leveled against Jennifer Hepler, Sheryl Chee, and anyone else who happened to be a female and involved) and I think, "Guys... really?"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

resurgam40 posted:

Oh, have we entered the "DA2 was bad!/No it wasn't!" cycle of the thread again? Suppose it's as good a time as any to mention that I played DA2 after all the hullabaloo had came and went, and... you know, I didn't find it bad either. I was expecting a completely reprehensible, borderline unplayable turd, and the product I got was... aggressively mediocre, but hardly the catastrophe I'd come to expect.

This time it's more about if Mass Effect Andromeda is worse than DA2.

And even as someone who really hated DA2 I'm saying the answer is "yes, it is worse".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Don't y'all make me post the like 8000x8000px image of Chris priestly

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
People wanted a sequel to DAO. No one wanted a sequel to ME3. DA2 wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

This time it's more about if Mass Effect Andromeda is worse than DA2.

And even as someone who really hated DA2 I'm saying the answer is "yes, it is worse".

Oh, for sure.