Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This mission is a great way to highlight how the rich live a world apart from the poor. It's no spoiler to say that the apartments are very nice indeed, when we get there try to compare them to the drogenkippe hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
There ought to be a German word for when one person gets someone's name wrong and causes everyone else to follow their example without anyone realizing the error.

But yeah, the implication is that Jana merely knocked the guards out.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I figure their guard armor has basic protection against most hazards, unless they are the equivalent of a Rent-A-Cop

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Kanfy posted:

There ought to be a German word for when one person gets someone's name wrong and causes everyone else to follow their example without anyone realizing the error.

But yeah, the implication is that Jana merely knocked the guards out.

Freudscher Versprecher? (freudian slip)
Lese- und Rechtschreibschwäche? (reading and writing disability)

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 24, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's German, can't you just cram the whole phrase into one word and call it a day?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

ChaseSP posted:

I figure their guard armor has basic protection against most hazards, unless they are the equivalent of a Rent-A-Cop

Technically basically all the cops in Shadowrun are rent-a-cops. :v: KE are a highly autonomous branch of Ares and the CEOs personal passion project. They get very nice equipment and are considered highly professional. It's a marker of how wealthy the neighborhood is that they have them running security.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 24, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

KE is really militarized, they have solid protective gear as standard.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

wiegieman posted:

KE is really militarized, they have solid protective gear as standard.

Didn't KE win the Seattle policing contract from Lone Star right before 4th because the latter failed to catch the Mayan Cutter serial killer and it took runners under Bull to take him down after he killed his daughter?

And then the old Lone Star cops on the Seattle beat just signed on the KE instead to keep their jobs (albeit some taking a demotion) and it's meet the new boss, same as the old boss (except with heavier HRTs).

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I think KE has a better reputation than Lone Star, but I guess that doesn't mean much. We've seen what Lone Star is like in DMS.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I think KE has a better reputation than Lone Star, but I guess that doesn't mean much. We've seen what Lone Star is like in DMS.

Heavily-armored rent-a-cops do generally have a better reputation than the rent-a-cops with a budget the size of a cocktail napkin, yes.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Dosen't Ares have rent-a-cops too? How well are they fitted?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Didn't KE win the Seattle policing contract from Lone Star right before 4th because the latter failed to catch the Mayan Cutter serial killer and it took runners under Bull to take him down after he killed his daughter?

And then the old Lone Star cops on the Seattle beat just signed on the KE instead to keep their jobs (albeit some taking a demotion) and it's meet the new boss, same as the old boss (except with heavier HRTs).

Lone Star also had a lot of bad publicity from the Tempo (a bioengineered Awakened drug) that was sweeping through the city. After KE took over the contract, the pipeline mysteriously dried up - whether because they were better at the job than Lone Star, or they were behind it all, or the cartels just went for greener pastures after they got a few Knight Errant High Threat Response Teams dropped on them (literally, they use VTOLs.)

KE is much more procedure oriented than Lone Star, which a lot of people appreciate, but they absolutely do not gently caress around when they decide to bring the hurt. These are the people that other megacorps hire to respond to armed break-ins.

e: I should add that the whole Tempo thing was an unrelated problem, but it was Lone Star's mishandling of it that was the last straw. The Tempo pipeline dried up because the people behind it died in a hail of gunfire during a cartel meeting in LA.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 25, 2018

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

wiegieman posted:

or they were behind it all

This wouldn't be the first time it has happened in the lore.

KE and Ares, like all AAA corps and subsidiaries, are a bunch of dicks.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah I meant Rent-A-Cop by getting some cheaply armed fucks to ring the alarm when people show up for the REAL security to show up. Maybe they'll shoot or kill one and that'd be nice but it isn't what you really hire them for.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Another way to look at the Lone Star/Knight Errant comparison is that Lone Star is a private police agency that grew too big, while Knight Errant is a PMC that got into law enforcement. They didn't just get the contract out of hand, they were already doing police work in a lot of areas where Ares has a presence.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Dosen't Ares have rent-a-cops too? How well are they fitted?

KE are the Ares rent-cops; they're a wholly owned subsidiary of the megacorp. So of course, they get some of the best Ares Arms equipment right off the assembly lines right after Ares' own security staff and Firewatch operatives and such.

One of my favorite bits of lore setting regarding Manhattan in Shadowrun is that after the federal government abandoned the island after a massive quake in 2005, the NYPD goes corporate themselves to help run security and rebuilding alongside the rest of the Manhattan Development Consortium, and now NYPD, Inc is a AA ranked corp, I believe.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 25, 2018

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

mauman posted:

KE and Ares, like all AAA corps and subsidiaries, are a bunch of dicks.

They are definitely one of the less dickish, though. I mean, they're still a AAA, but...

Look, they're not Aztechnology is what I'm getting at.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

venom3053000 posted:

thing that has me convinced Janna isn't who she says is that she killed those guards without a care

unless thats just a gameplay thing and their alive

I believe the intention is that they're just knocked out. Probably easier to script this way, though.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I wonder what elite force dragons hire, being that no dragon is stupid enough not to prepare for the possibility of dragon fall 2.0.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

They are definitely one of the less dickish, though. I mean, they're still a AAA, but...

Ares still fucks around with insect spirits though, supposedly to find better ways of killing them after their Firewatch teams hosed up in Chicago in the lead up to Bug City when the nuke they tried to set off to contain the outbreak didn't quite work right, but you know what they say about those who fight monsters and all that.

But yeah, Ares tries very hard to project the "mom, baseball, and apple pie" rep they've cultivated as the major corp of the UCAS and supplier of their military.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 25, 2018

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
A lot of it is PR, yeah. And I guess if you're making a pros/cons of each corp, all of them except the big A have "Is not Aztechnology" in the pros list. Conversely you really only need "Is Aztechnology" in the cons list for that one. Not much point in adding anything else.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

"Not Aztechnology" is an extremely low bar to clear.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You know the setting is hosed when "All-American Arms Dealers" is one of the least hosed up companies to work for.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

You know the setting is hosed when "All-American Arms Dealers" is one of the least hosed up companies to work for.

Hey, they also have a space division (which are the privatized remnants of NASA) and heavy manufacturing and cars (since they began as an outgrowth of GM) which are pretty damned important! Oh, and private prisons too, as part of it's law enforcement division.

But yeah, Ares is most known amongst shadowrunners for it's guns and KE.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 25, 2018

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Also this is a universe all about letting murderhobos go on adventures so it's not like any security can be either competent or good at their jobs.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

PMush Perfect posted:

:911:

As a newbie to the setting, is all the blood sacrifice the reason Aztechnology is so horrible?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That is just the beginning, they have projects so twisted to make a man eating dragon recoil in disgusted horror.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

I wonder what elite force dragons hire, being that no dragon is stupid enough not to prepare for the possibility of dragon fall 2.0.
IIRC, Saeder Krupp's special forces consists of essentially magically awakened Drake SEALs. The other dragons, if they feel the need for a security force, may also employ Drakes?

Or just use a bunch of manipulated shadowrunners who think they're doing a milk run for an entry-level Johnson for chump change and a box of cup noodles.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Someone mentioned actual military being better than corp Spec Ops earlier in the thread, and I have to ask- why? Who'd pay taxes to weakened national governments to fund said super soldiers? It seems to me like Doc Wagon and organizations like that take care of healthcare, Lone Star/KE and their ilk take care of law enforcement etc, and in SR: Hong Kong the island is ruled by a Corporate Council (I don't think that's a spoiler). From what I've managed to glean, Japan is the only place where a national government still holds power, and that's only because the Imperial Throne has some measure of actual power. Is this the actual case in the UCAS, Europe etc.?

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

I imagine dragons have their pick of options, from forming their own private security teams (they can afford to hire literally anyone, so the quality is probably as high as can be) to

cigaw posted:

Or just use a bunch of manipulated shadowrunners who think they're doing a milk run for an entry-level Johnson for chump change and a box of cup noodles.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

:911:

As a newbie to the setting, is all the blood sacrifice the reason Aztechnology is so horrible?

Aztechnology was formed as a legitimization of ORO, the drug megacartel so big, rich, and powerful that it literally owned Mexico. In other places, employees might complain that their boss doesn't know what they're worth. In Aztlan, your boss might decide to remind you that he knows exactly what you're worth.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Soylent Pudding posted:

Aztechnology is like Wal-Mart. They make and sell the vast majority of the cheap food and consumer goods that fill the average shmuck's life. Whether that's worse than blood sacrifice is a matter of opinion.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

That is just the beginning, they have projects so twisted to make a man eating dragon recoil in disgusted horror.

Or to put it in simpler terms, half of the problem is the (rumors of) blood magic going on with Azzies that make them so maligned.

The other half of the problem is the sort of poo poo that you would actually do if you were (supposedly) a megacorp cool with researching blood magic. They're basically the capitalist backbone of everything that isn't related to shadowrunning and illegal activity. On the purely civilian level they're what you'd get if Wal-Mart started offering crank on the side.

wiegieman posted:

Aztechnology was formed as a legitimization of ORO, the drug megacartel so big, rich, and powerful that it literally owned Mexico. In other places, employees might complain that their boss doesn't know what they're worth. In Aztlan, your boss might decide to remind you that he knows exactly what you're worth.

This, too.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Azzies also stand out as one of the corps who will respond to runners messing with them by hunting said runner down like a dog. Like, you might get away with stealing from Ares if they decide you didn't take enough stuff to justify what it would cost to track you down and kill you. Azzies are just vindictive, money be damned.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

DeathChicken posted:

Azzies also stand out as one of the corps who will respond to runners messing with them by hunting said runner down like a dog. Like, you might get away with stealing from Ares if they decide you didn't take enough stuff to justify what it would cost to track you down and kill you. Azzies are just vindictive, money be damned.

And being masters of blood magic, they are very, VERY, good at tracking.

The cost benefit of hunting down and brutalizing anyone who fucks with them, regardless of how much more it costs compared to the damages, is that many runners will not take an assignment against Azzies, period. And those that are willing to try ask for eye-watering pay days.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

CommissarMega posted:

Someone mentioned actual military being better than corp Spec Ops earlier in the thread, and I have to ask- why? Who'd pay taxes to weakened national governments to fund said super soldiers? It seems to me like Doc Wagon and organizations like that take care of healthcare, Lone Star/KE and their ilk take care of law enforcement etc, and in SR: Hong Kong the island is ruled by a Corporate Council (I don't think that's a spoiler). From what I've managed to glean, Japan is the only place where a national government still holds power, and that's only because the Imperial Throne has some measure of actual power. Is this the actual case in the UCAS, Europe etc.?

National governments still exist, and patriotism and nationalism still hold a big enough sway that you get people willing to do a lot more for them for a lot less than they'd ask the corps. Taxes still get collected from a lot of things that aren't the megas, and it eventually adds up to something. Plus the corps see a standing army as a drain on their profits if it isn't absolutely necessary. For all it's gone through, the UCAS is still one of the few entities willing to spend enough to field nuclear aircraft carriers and have the ability to project that sort of power in a lot of places. The other two entities that are also willing to pay for that privilege being Japan and Lofwyr.

I dont know posted:

The cost benefit of hunting down and brutalizing anyone who fucks with them, regardless of how much more it costs compared to the damages, is that many runners will not take an assignment against Azzies, period. And those that are willing to try ask for eye-watering pay days.

Or they have their reasons, and are eager to go against them.

Or they're very idealistic. And dear old Monika taught us how that story ends.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Sounds like a great one final run kind of deal. Go out big, and fade into nothingness ideally. Just be completely and utterly sure you leave 0 traces behind especially blood.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Oh you're gonna fade into nothingness either way, believe me. The difference being how long it takes and how much screaming you'll do on the way there.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Not just runners, the Azzies publicly executed a feathered serpent (the Mesoamerican equivalent of a great dragon) for leading the resistance movement in the Yucatán, and came up with a(n incomplete) magical weapon that all but killed another that was trying to avenge him, but not before Sirrugg went on a rampage across Azzie military bases across the former southwest US. The only reason they didn't kill him is because Lowfyr showed up to take custody of him instead.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

DeathChicken posted:

Like, you might get away with stealing from Ares if they decide you didn't take enough stuff to justify what it would cost to track you down and kill you. Azzies are just vindictive, money be damned.

More accurately, most companies will accept that getting hit occasionally is just the price of doing business and treat is as such. Aztechnology, on the other hand, responds to that sort of thing like.... well, exactly like you would expect a Mexican drug cartel heavily into the occult to react.