Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Being willing and able to completely overhaul your builds between missions definitely helps. My 'main' party build is damage over time + mutate and inquisitor's strike, but sometimes you just gotta lightning mage.

I got stuck in a area i couldnt go back and retool. i eventually started just going half and half on light you up and ground control but even that didnt help it was somewhere around before you go to the con in progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No, nor your party members. Everyone else though, yeah absolutely. Have fun wandering through a game world that's been reduced to a ghost town!
In 6 it hit everybody except you including your party, and in 7 it hit everybody except you, Lord British, and Batlin.

In fat, in 7 it didn't actually mechanically kill people, it just made them fall down and turned them off. This is worse than killing them because dead people can be resurrected. It also started a permanent worldwide snowstorm!

EDIT: This is in fact the only way to get any backstory at all on why Batlin is doing the things he's doing in the game.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
That owns but I can't physically look at Ultima games because the perspective completely breaks my brain

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
In U7:P2 batlin casts it and only the automatons survive and i never got past that bit.

As far as i could tell the only way to rob the bank in u7 was to murder the bank clerk then rob the bank of its ingots, then take the corpse to lord british to ressurect the clerk who can then convert your ingots to coins

Isaac fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 25, 2018

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Isaac posted:

In U7:P2 batlin casts it and only the automatons survive and i never got past that bit.

As far as i could tell the only way to rob the bank in u7 was to murder the bank clerk then rob the bank of its ingots, then take the corpse to lord british to ressurect the clerk who can then convert your ingots to coins
Nah, Batlin fucks up doing something else, and as an indirect result, almost everybody in the world is killed, but he doesn't cast Armageddon.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

alansmithee posted:

Just wondering, is there anywhere that has a writeup of the new content in-depth, kinda like the old unauthorized guide? I had a couple wins way back forever and am interested in trying it again with the tiles and other upgrades.

http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Yulgash/3.0.x_Changes most of the things in here are relatively up to date, but not all of them so be careful. everything in here should have its own wiki page now (this was written when patch was still in beta) so for more info just search away. the wiki is waaaay more useful than you may remember it being, if it was even around when you were last playing. Grond/Yulgash is a madman and has done an insane amount of work maintaining it.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

immortal redneck is strictly better than ziggurat in every single way

honestly, i liked ziggurat a lot, but even i have to admit that this is the truth. immortal redneck is rad as hell and just absolutely the best roguelite fps that there is pretty much

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I liked Ziggurat, too. I don't think it's terrible trash like some here do, but it doesn't make much of a mark, either. Setting my eyeballs on Immortal Redneck.

On the topic of shooters, I was playing Warframe this month, and it's no roguelike, but every mission generates a unique map, though--like Zig and apparently Immortal Redneck, and just about every other rogue-ish FPS I've played except maybe Doom+Oblige--it assembles its levels out of modules that become pretty recognizable after several plays. I still appreciate that they're at least trying. A couple times I just turned off the automap for kicks and wandered around some big ships getting into stealth-oriented fights and hoping to stumble on my objective.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does Immortal Redneck have enemies spawning in rooms behind you without much notification because that killed Ziggurat for me. The Dragon Age 2 school of encounter design loving blows.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Followup opinion on Swords of Ditto from yesterday: it's way too loving long and slow-paced for the genre, and you get tutorial messages in every playthrough regardless of if you've won or not. It's just a chore.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

Does Immortal Redneck have enemies spawning in rooms behind you without much notification because that killed Ziggurat for me. The Dragon Age 2 school of encounter design loving blows.

No, a room once cleared stays cleared (at least, in the part of the game I've played so far; I haven't beaten the first pyramid).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think he meant the way that enemies continuously teleported into rooms while you were in them, which is something Ziggurat did a lot but I don't recall Immortal Redneck doing that.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Yulgash/3.0.x_Changes most of the things in here are relatively up to date, but not all of them so be careful. everything in here should have its own wiki page now (this was written when patch was still in beta) so for more info just search away. the wiki is waaaay more useful than you may remember it being, if it was even around when you were last playing. Grond/Yulgash is a madman and has done an insane amount of work maintaining it.

I'll have to check it out, thanks. And I'm fairly certain the wiki wasn't around when I was playing a bunch of ADOM since I remember my main info source being the usenet group along with the unauthorized guide.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Followup opinion on Swords of Ditto from yesterday: it's way too loving long and slow-paced for the genre, and you get tutorial messages in every playthrough regardless of if you've won or not. It's just a chore.

I think that's what the RPS review was talking about. It seems like a game with a bit of an identity crisis which may be because it was being developed during the roguelite craze that has died down. Hopefully they'll tweak the game to either more properly embrace its roguelite elements or dump them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

doctorfrog posted:

I liked Ziggurat, too. I don't think it's terrible trash like some here do, but it doesn't make much of a mark, either. Setting my eyeballs on Immortal Redneck.

for the record, i enjoyed ziggurat for what it was at the time

immortal redneck is just outright a better game than it in every way

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

RyokoTK posted:

I think he meant the way that enemies continuously teleported into rooms while you were in them, which is something Ziggurat did a lot but I don't recall Immortal Redneck doing that.

Immortal Redneck technically does do this, but only at the start of the level and unless you are moving through the room extremely quickly you probably won't ever have an enemy spawn behind you in a way which feels unfair. It's really only something which comes up if you're speedrunning it, which it would appear that only like two people are doing.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This is the gospel. At a cursory glance, Immortal Redneck shouldn't be any good: It's made by a tiny developer whose previous experience consisted solely of forgettable mobile games, it aimed for a very specific genre that's apparently difficult to do "correctly", and the concept of the game (Redneck in Egypt) came off as a really "meh" goofy concept.

But the game is good.

Yeah, I was so turned off by the combo of dev "pedigree" + terrible name, but it is such a good game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Finally completed a Hoplite flawless athiest run (was meant to just be an athiest run but happened to do it flawlessly).

The game feels so loving easy now.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

does an atheist run mean you didnt hit any shrines

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I've been trying to do the no wizards or demolitionists challenge for loving ever. I've made it to the final level a few times but get smoked trying to pick up the fleece AND exit.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

dogstile posted:

Finally completed a Hoplite flawless athiest run (was meant to just be an athiest run but happened to do it flawlessly).

The game feels so loving easy now.

Congrats, atheist took me forever. I'm pretty sure it's harder than Hoplite Master.

Awesome! posted:

does an atheist run mean you didnt hit any shrines

Yeah, that's the one.

edit:

Lowness 72 posted:

I've been trying to do the no wizards or demolitionists challenge for loving ever. I've made it to the final level a few times but get smoked trying to pick up the fleece AND exit.

I suggest loading up on throw distance and using follow; toss in free action after jumping for good measure. I'm not going to say that makes it easy, exactly, but it hugely cuts down on the amount of time you have to spend on any given level which I found pretty critical.

Irony.or.Death fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 27, 2018

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Picked up Swords of Ditto, played through until the end of the very first tutorial death, got to "Press X to continue"

X doesn't continue.
No button continues.
Just hangs on my corpse.
Well played game.

Edit: turns out it wanted me to hit controller x. On my controller. That wasn't currently and had never been connected to my computer. It works now.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 27, 2018

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I recently wound up getting an old 2001 era laptop and just wanted to say that Castle of the Winds is still great

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Dr. Dos posted:

I recently wound up getting an old 2001 era laptop and just wanted to say that Castle of the Winds is still great

I wasted many a schoolday playing that game instead of working.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Dr. Dos posted:

I never played it by Berlin standards but yeah, that oldie is golden.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
The third character of Slay the Spire is apparently out in the beta build: https://steamcommunity.com/games/646570/announcements/detail/1667898210977004105

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Samizdata posted:

This isn't necessarily a roguelike as it is a card game,

a shameful and disgusting statement

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a shameful and disgusting statement

Not so much, even though it adheres to roguelike tenets, it doesn't have the roguelike interface, monster fights or multilevel dungeons.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Has anyone played Nowhere Prophet? It looks like the kind of thing I'm into (roguelike + cards).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Dr. Dos posted:

Oh man, I totally forgot about that game. gently caress Smirking Sneak Thieves :mad:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i just tried out underhand and it is really cool thanks thread

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

NetHack 3.6.1 is out!

Naming Sting or Orcrist now breaks illiterate conduct
Poison breath leaves a trail of poison gas
Allow knife and stiletto as possible tin opening tools
New status line conditions Stone Strngl Deaf Lev Fly Ride
Swallowers can't re-engulf hero immediately after spitting him/her out
Allow taming monkeys and apes with bananas
Ray bounceback chance depends on the wall type
Undead #turning takes less time at higher experience level
Peacefuls may react when you attack other peacefuls
Prevent diagonal jumping through open doorways
Give feedback just before timed levitation runs out
Blinded hero or monster who eats a nurse corpse will have blindness cured
Wielding *bane have additional effects
"Elbereth" must now be the only engraved text on a square to function
"Elbereth" now erodes based on attacks by the player, not monsters scared

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

That seems like it makes it a lot easier to sit on an Elbereth with a large group of monsters around, as long as you have something to do other than attack them.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Awesome! posted:

i just tried out underhand and it is really cool thanks thread

You are WELCOME!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/677120/?snr=1_5_9__205

Vas is das?

Heroes of Hammerwatch roguelike

I played Hammerwatch, it was an ok-ish pixel art gauntlet style game, this apparently just came out though, haven't heard of it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's super grindy and shallow.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think they really learned anything despite it being years since hammerwatch came out

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

NetHack 3.6.1 is out!

Naming Sting or Orcrist now breaks illiterate conduct
Poison breath leaves a trail of poison gas
Allow knife and stiletto as possible tin opening tools
New status line conditions Stone Strngl Deaf Lev Fly Ride
Swallowers can't re-engulf hero immediately after spitting him/her out
Allow taming monkeys and apes with bananas
Ray bounceback chance depends on the wall type
Undead #turning takes less time at higher experience level
Peacefuls may react when you attack other peacefuls
Prevent diagonal jumping through open doorways
Give feedback just before timed levitation runs out
Blinded hero or monster who eats a nurse corpse will have blindness cured
Wielding *bane have additional effects
"Elbereth" must now be the only engraved text on a square to function

It's like reading an incremental weekly update of any other open source roguelike

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Pacra posted:

It's like reading an incremental weekly update of any other open source roguelike

That's spoiler free. Here's the 900 line list of changes on GitHub:

https://github.com/NetHack/NetHack/blob/NetHack-3.6.0/doc/fixes36.1

Also big is that they're dropping support for many older operating systems and architectures that were kept as a sense of quirky pride that it would run on anything but complicated testing and reliability in a codebase that's already hard to test. We're talking about crap like BeOS, Windows CE, Mac Classic, Amiga, RiscOS, DEC VAX, OS/2 and 16-bit MS-DOS with segmented memory. Just let them die already.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nobodys actually using those systems for it, or so id hope at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Also big is that they're dropping support for many older operating systems and architectures that were kept as a sense of quirky pride that it would run on anything but complicated testing and reliability in a codebase that's already hard to test. We're talking about crap like BeOS, Windows CE, Mac Classic, Amiga, RiscOS, DEC VAX, OS/2 and 16-bit MS-DOS with segmented memory. Just let them die already.
I find it amusing to imagine the nerd who gets irrationally angry about this.