Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

infernal machines posted:

hello, yes, i would like to spend three thousands of dollars on a laptop you made three years ago, thank you apple plz take my money

weren't the processors a few generations old even in 2015, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

infernal machines posted:

if you have anything of interest to the kgb, aren't you already hosed?

the barrier of entry into the kgb interest club is simply “knowing someone who doesn’t like you who has an uncle who works there” courtesy of russia’s lack of functioning court system

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beamed posted:

eh at this point Dell is definitely more bang for your buck, much as it breaks me to say

a lappy running macOS on native hardware is the only laptop experience worth a drat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jony neuemonic posted:

weren't the processors a few generations old even in 2015, too?

i could deal with lack of ports and MagSafe if the keyboard was ok

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

echinopsis posted:

i could deal with lack of ports and MagSafe if the keyboard was ok

i bought a couple topre switch boards from leopold and think i will never buy another keyboard in my life, they are each my beautiful thunky sons and i love them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
would u use one with a laptop

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

would u use one with a laptop

i would use mine for sure, if it’s a fixed workplace. it has some brass plate inside or some poo poo so it’s heavier than a macbook, which is why i wouldn’t haul it around

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
looks hyper dorky

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

looks just old imo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

cinci zoo sniper posted:

looks just old imo

it’s so good

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sniep posted:

it’s so good

aye, im extremely satisfied with it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the barrier of entry into the kgb interest club is simply “knowing someone who doesn’t like you who has an uncle who works there” courtesy of russia’s lack of functioning court system

the worst uncle at nintendo scenario

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

looks just old imo

to use with a. laptop I mean

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

to use with a. laptop I mean

maybe yeah. i wouldn’t care at home or work, but wouldn’t take it elsewhere

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yes you would

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

yes you would
nah, its heavy and bulky

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
some days my iphone 7 drains its battery completely by 3pm while most days i'll go to bed with it at more than 50%. i dont do anything different with it at all. please help?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

some days my iphone 7 drains its battery completely by 3pm while most days i'll go to bed with it at more than 50%. i dont do anything different with it at all. please help?

check your battery use on bad day?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
same as normal, nothing different there

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Maximum Leader posted:

looks like you need an iPhone X

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/989144989690187776?s=19

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

i also can't believe that they haven't figured out how to support more than 16gb of ram, but i think that's laptops in general

u can definitely get laptops w/ 32gb of ram.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
here's to the the misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. 

*uses privileged access to the president of the united states to push for favourable trade deals*

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beamed posted:

eh at this point Dell is definitely more bang for your buck, much as it breaks me to say

that's always been the case. like when the xps15 9550 came out the MacBook "pro" that came out after it was 2 years behind.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its because intel processors only support LPDDR3, even the 8th generation

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

here's to the the misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers.

*Terms and conditions apply. Requires separate iCloud account for an additional monthly fee. Warranty void if used in public or touched with the sullied flesh of human hands.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

looks like you need an iPhone X

x gon give it to ya

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Maximum Leader posted:

sometimes the only thing to do is to wipe it and add things back bit by bit until you find the culprit its a misconfigured Exchange Server a lot of the time

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Maximum Leader posted:

I’ve had this happen from time to time. like once a month or once every 3 months or whatever. No real culprit app wise but the battery drains down a lot faster than normal. you can usually spot it when use time is more or less the same as standby time. A reboot fixes it every time.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

akadajet posted:

i also can't believe that they haven't figured out how to support more than 16gb of ram, but i think that's laptops in general

phil schiller constantly cites power usage as the reason they don't go to 32 GB, he keeps saying they couldn't keep offering the ten hours or whatever battery life with the amount of power LPDDR4 currently requires

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
rapid battery drain like that is usually one of two things:
something is keeping the radio on. like your calendar app decided it needs to fetch your calendar every 100 milliseconds.
something is keeping the gps on. are you a Waze user?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Management posted:

something is keeping the gps on. are you a Waze user?

this is louder now tho

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

pram posted:

its because intel processors only support LPDDR3, even the 8th generation

to be fair, intel supports DDR4L, which is the memory intended for laptops. LPDDR4 was designed for SoC applications and requires extreme I/O sensitivity due to incredibly low signalling levels (~400mV compared to 1.2V with LPDDR3).

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Maximum Leader posted:

my apple watch used to do this and eventually the battery expanded to the point where it lifted the screen so enjoy i guess

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Shaggar posted:

u can definitely get laptops w/ 32gb of ram.

those "laptops" arent using laptop processors so at that point you might as well buy an alienware

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they are, they're just using higher power ram. apple chose the slower, lower power ram because their users cant tell the difference

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
they use the lower power ram to have 30 day standby time, if they used regular ram it would less than 7 days

thats 14%+ battery drain per day vs 3%

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

poty posted:

those "laptops" arent using laptop processors so at that point you might as well buy an alienware

its not on the 15W ultrabook skus but the 45W regular notebook skus support it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Perplx posted:

they use the lower power ram to have 30 day standby time, if they used regular ram it would less than 7 days

thats 14%+ battery drain per day vs 3%

yeah id rather have more + faster ram than a computer I don't use for 30 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

yeah id rather have more + faster ram than a computer I don't use for 30 days.

wow think about what you're saying here