Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Come Bootcha. My favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Blue On Blue posted:

Those little stupid screens popping out all around him in the cockpit are just stupid looking, how could anyone ever imagine that would be playable

Honestly, I remember thinking at the time that I first saw it (in 2013) "Yyyeah, that's likely not gonna stay exactly like that, but surely that's something the team under him can rework as the hangar and dogfighting modules come out and they find out what actually works."

Up until mid 2014 it actually looked like they were making steady progress...but then the sales ramped up, the endless refactoring of old existing poo poo began (Crobblers design by decree came into full effect at that point I think) while selling .jpegs accelerated, nothing actually new was being implemented much anymore and by mid 2015 I was straining to suspend by disbelief. Then, when they fired people like Chelsea and James Pugh, I was like: "gently caress this poo poo, they don't care one bit for me other than my money" and was lucky enough to get a refund right after Derek Smart got his, but right before the Escapist letter when they started denying them.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 27, 2018

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I enjoyed the little plugs in the latest video from CIG for the Captain Richard with his brand new multi thousand dollar PC donated to him from backer money, and that other guy the rapist showing off Star Marine

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

CrazyLoon posted:

Up until mid 2014 it actually looked like they were making steady progress...

:wrong:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyLoon posted:

Up until mid 2014 it actually looked like they were making steady progress...

You sound like a backer (nothing wrong with that). There has not been, at any point in time, some sort of *steady* progress. Some tiny, scrawny spurts of progress here and there with the modules and whatnot but there is a reason many of us have been making fun of this ridiculous poo poo since 2013.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quality.

If i may be critical a tad, i'd have stressed more about how the initial funding video wasn't actualy developed by CR and was nothing more than a demo and that the line saying real in game footage with real game assets was pure BS.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

That was amazing. A lot of work went into this B, as always!
Excellently done.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

If i may be critical a tad, i'd have stressed more about how the initial funding video wasn't actualy developed by CR and was nothing more than a demo and that the line saying real in game footage with real game assets was pure BS.

Shouldn't that kind of stuff be left for the "game progress" and "lies, lies, lies" parts of the series? That doesn't really have much to do with fracking the whales, which was the point of this one.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Good god, Bootcha. You should have some kind of sodium warning on these videos. The backer salt will give you a heart attack.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:tipshat:

Also, well belated non-lawyer interpretation of the stay dismissal: The magistrate says discovery can start now, but CIG is under no obligation to cooperate at the present time. Once scheduling happens, they have to cooperate.

I could also be 100% wrong.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Great video Bootcha. This is the first one that is really going to upset the whales with all the references to suckers.

Also you already upset DaGaimez

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 27, 2018

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I feel bad for the guy who was dumped with all of the raw performance capture. Here's a bunch of poo poo we shot three years ago, go figure it out!

In hindsight, it really shows how warped Chris's priorities are.
#1 - Shoot a movie with someone else's money and pretend to be a hotshot Hollywood director.
#2 - Get the game made.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Very informative and enjoyable! Thanks!!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Drunk Theory posted:

Great video Bootcha. This is the first one that is really going to upset the whales with all the regencies to suckers.

Yeah, it probably will, although it can’t be said Bootcha isn’t roasting himself and his own spending habits in the process... I think there’s really no getting around the fact that spending four or five figures on a buggy pre-Alpha for a very late game and unlocking/“earning” special CIG-conferred titles / ranks / privileges looks pretty crazy from a distance. It’s their money to spend as they like but I’m not sure there’s any way to normalize it outside of the SC community bubble.

It reminds me of that laugh out loud moment 18 minutes in to Twerk’s Sunday stream. He was reading through his concierge booklet with his bemused girlfriend joking about how much more he was going to probably spend in 2018. While she was reading through the thing, somebody gave him a cash tip which allows text to speech messages:

“Sorry for not giving you a game. Here’s a book with pretty pictures in it.”

They couldn’t help but crack up. So at least some whales know just how crazy it all is and looks.

Looks like Bootcha just replied to DaGaimez:

BinkyATX posted:

Thanks for stopping by DaGaimez, I appreciate your feedback. Your criticisms of CIG and the Star Citizen project are well founded and much needed. I hope you understand that exchange between my indignant "fanboy" persona and your criticisms showed that you weren't a pushover, and you got the better of that exchange in that bit. Perhaps saying you are a "fanboy" was not the right word to use, I understand while you still support the project, you are critical of it. Would you consider "backer" to be a more fair representation of your feelings about the project?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
YouTube - Gamer Max: Star Citizen Galaxy TV, And Player Ran News Cast, How Will It Work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChvziHv32BU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
good stuff bootcha

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

TheAgent posted:

good stuff bootcha

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Expansion season 3 is loving great.

Barely any Holden and I'm in love with it all over again.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Star citizen is anime

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Theory posted:

Linku? e: found it.

Raskolnikov posted:

Star citizen is anime

Every anime has female characters (usually with big tits). Star Citizen is not anime.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 27, 2018

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

trucutru posted:

Linku? e: found it.

Every anime has female characters (usually with big tits). Star Citizen is not anime.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
So I wonder what the likelihood is that Bootcha's speculation of shares being offered at WhaleFeast '18 causes a crisis meeting in the coming days as to delay the offering, if they can delay, or how to spin as a not an act of desperation.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The face of repulsion battling with professionalism. :barf:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Bootcha your video was very good, thank you for making it.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Great video, man. More sickening truths for the Crobbears.

I need to buy a ship to forget.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

HycoCam posted:

So I wonder what the likelihood is that Bootcha's speculation of shares being offered at WhaleFeast '18 causes a crisis meeting in the coming days as to delay the offering, if they can delay, or how to spin as a not an act of desperation.

It’s next week so the suspense shouldn’t last long.

It seems like a longshot rumor but there’s no getting around the weirdness of the whole thing.

That there is some unstated agenda is clear. That they plan to film it — this conspicuously rapacious gathering of a self-selected “privileged” class — for some future promotional use has already been stated. Capturing the theater of this “special” moment of fraternization is itself part of CIG’s agenda. The continuing normalization of CIG LA’s gilded age antics is sooooooo strange in this new era of backlash against micro-transactions yet that’s as much a part of their playbook as having Monocles in a Space Sim before Mining.

But there surely is more to this gathering than just fraternization at the feet of the Code Whisperer. Stock sales? Sneak peaks and pre-orders of CIG’s upcoming in-game expanded real estate opportunities?

They chose 60 Concierge level invitees and made them pay $350 more to get in the door. That’s already a commitment test that would keep out the casual, disinterested or cynical concierge tier backers. They will have 60 true believers there and surely be intending to sell them on something even while the event itself may get turned into promotional media used to sell whatever this opportunity is to a wider group...

I expect we’ll see lots of “you won’t believe what’s coming! I’d tell you but NDA!” posts after the event to build buzz. Lost in all of it will be the obvious cynicism on CIG’s part and what increasingly feels like a very short term urgency to accelerate the money hunt. CIG can’t go wider now — they can’t cross The Chasm with a game without gameplay that requires 16GB RAM, SSDs, new GPUs & CPUs and all the rest. So they’re drilling deeper and deeper like the Dwarves in the Mines of Moira in the relentless hunt for more Mithril...

Oh well. I’m sure it’ll all work out for the best.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 27, 2018

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

hover ham

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

/StarCitizen: Sunk Cost Galaxy #5 is making friends and influencing people

When Boo Huxley drops a “never was”, you know you’ve made a bestie for life.

bar10dr2 posted:

Oh look it's the Derek brigade.

I honestly don't get it, all you need to buy for access and eventually access to all the ships is the base game package, everything else is optional.

The vast majority of people are regular backers who just bought the base package, the whales are a tiny percentage of adults with a good economy willing to throw in money to help fund the game of their dreams.

I honestly don't understand all the hate.

The money actually goes towards making the game and CIG is open about the game being in development when purchasing and are very open about the actual development process.

People just love to have something to hate.

Bribase posted:

I think it's very simple:

"I overspent on a computer game which offers a range of things to buy and now I regret that decision. Since I cannot possibly be held responsible for the things that I spend my money on, it has to be CIG's fault and not mine. And the more people I can convince of this, the more assured I can feel about it."

I'm sure that the OP, and others like him, will tell us that they're just putting people in the know about refunds and presenting the facts about the game. But in truth, those dickheads over at the refund subreddit do more community outreach than *we* do. You'll see almost all of the regulars here actively warding people *away* from the game if their expectations of it are beyond what the alpha currently offers, or at least telling them to pledge in moderation. But no, apparently *we're* the shills.

Boo Huxley posted:

Downvoted. Silly little 'never was' goon. Go back to 'Hello Kitty Island'

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

G0RF posted:

bar10dr2 posted:

The money actually goes towards making the game and CIG is open about the game being in development when purchasing and are very open about the actual development process. 
:wrong:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

bar10dr2 posted:

I honestly don't understand all the hate.
Here, let me help.
I've backed this project -basic package- because I wanted a modern version of (what I remembered of) Privateer 2, a game that I was quite fond of playing through at the time of its release.
The only thing I got during my years of still being a backer was a crappy, buggy, inexcusably half-assed hangar module, excuses of "pre-alpha", and dozens and dozens of well polished animation videos of selling ship concepts.

Then after missing several promised deadlines and the one in their TOS, they changed their TOS to remove the deadline, and went into "not giving any dates" while putting SQ42 in the freezer indefinitely. These people are hacks at best, scammers at worst.

This is the only crowdfunding project as of yet that made me pursue a refund, and I am (or was) a proponent of the whole ideology behind crowdfunding. Not so enthusiastic and way more skeptical now than I was a few years ago of course. I also have backed a few rotten potatoes of projects on Kickstarter, and still didn't go for a refund for those. Because they didn't make me feel dirty for backing them.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

gently caress, man.

I check Derek's twitter and even he's so bored of Star Citizen all he's warlording about is some Trump nonsense.

This is the low point, yeah?

When the gently caress are Skadden going to do something?

And "90 days, tops" is the same as Darude Sandstorm. It's a memo to self which says, "gently caress myself this evening after I buy and Idris".

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Peter.Quint posted:

gently caress, man.

I check Derek's twitter and even he's so bored of Star Citizen all he's warlording about is some Trump nonsense.

This is the low point, yeah?

When the gently caress are Skadden going to do something?

And "90 days, tops" is the same as Darude Sandstorm. It's a memo to self which says, "gently caress myself this evening after I buy and Idris".

two weeks

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

/StarCitizen: Sunk Cost Galaxy #5 is making friends and influencing people

When Boo Huxley drops a “never was”, you know you’ve made a bestie for life.

lmao I'm the guy who thinks telling people "hey don't spend too much on this" is somehow bad and wrong.

Actually, come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I saw someone from /refunds "shilling" outside the subreddit... It's almost like noted forums user and dipshit Bribase is lying.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

lmao I'm the guy who thinks telling people "hey don't spend too much on this" is somehow bad and wrong.

Actually, come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I saw someone from /refunds "shilling" outside the subreddit... It's almost like noted forums user and dipshit Bribase is lying.

that Beet Wagon guy shills a whole lot in /r/starcitizen

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Not SC related.

Out of interest, got a big family thing coming up with game players involved across generations.

Is Helldivers any good as a 4 player game (PS3)?

Anyone played it?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Peter.Quint posted:

Not SC related.

Out of interest, got a big family thing coming up with game players involved across generations.

Anyone played it?

Helldivers is a lot of fun, yes. I played the poo poo out of it with my friends for a while. As long as you don't mind top-down shooters like that. To get a sense of what Helldivers is *sort of* kind of like, you can try Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop, which is free.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Peter.Quint posted:

Not SC related.

Anyone played it?

Buy them all Star Citizen starter packs, I hear that games the bee's knees.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Whilst we're talking about the dream that could've been, the one thing this game still has over so many others right now is a theme tune that absolutely blasts off into space. It's honestly being wasted on this project, it's such a great piece of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poG3Wvb8FU8&t=90s

When it kicks of at 1min 30, argh, it's beautiful.

It's generic as gently caress, and feels like bits have been cribbed to sound "Like the music in....". If ever there was a piece of music that could be accused of being painted by numbers, it's this. No one would be able to pick it out if it was used elsewhere. Like how Hollywood went through a fad of using "Bishop's Countdown" in every god drat trailer ever, everyone would say "WTF, that's the music from Aliens!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlzkGd7qaMY

Or trailer music virtuosos,Two Steps from Hell's "Heart of Courage", which became the next Bishop's Countdown, even being used for videogame trailers and A Snooker Pro's entrance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYKUeZQbMF0

No one will remember StarCitizenSquadron42MarenaCommandos's OST.

Sure, I have an ear for music, and I can spot poor/lazy writing, so please consider this vid by one of my absolute favourite youtubers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7IXGFnB4h0

Or this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUdyc8j8eLc

edit. Heck, just listen to the overture from one of Gaming's greatest forgotten gems. It just demonstrates the vast gulf of technical difference between SC and a true AAA game score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zfNTThhwag

Or a track from Ori, that had gaming beats that affected me so much, just hearing the music again stirs the same emotions I felt the first time I heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzXNGRnOYP4

Star Citizen's music won't ever be considered iconic, classic, anything. It was a guy's job for a few months, and nothing more.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 27, 2018

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Buy them all Star Citizen starter packs, I hear that games the bee's knees.

If it goes badly my birthday present for my nephew is definitely a SC starter pack. It's like giving someone the puzzle box from Hellraiser and telling him he's nothing to me unless he solves it (hint 32 GB of ram, I7, gtx1080ti, delete every other program on your computer, then you can really see what lies on the extreme of "fidelity").

Also, cheers, Beet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Xaerael posted:

Sure, I have an ear for music, and I can spot poor/lazy writing, so please consider this vid by one of my absolute favourite youtubers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7IXGFnB4h0

Or this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUdyc8j8eLc

This is a neat channel, thanks for linking