Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Oh, well he has an amazingly toned figure or maybe that outfit is just really slimming.

Don't think I've seen the Nuka-Girl outfit on anything but a mannequin to be honest. Seems a tad impractical for exploring a world full of exposed rebar, jagged rocks and rusting metal surfaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i think theyre those butt lifting pants they sell online.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

my guess was padding for a stunt actor

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

in terms of non-sexy-rear end mods this guy does some really high fidelity weapon mods of fallout NV guns and such

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/users/11550578?tab=user+files

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

chitoryu12 posted:

I do a yearly airsoft Fallout LARP sort of thing that takes place in its own canon for Florida. They played off Walt Disney's original plans for EPCOT as a futuristic city working on experimental technology tested on the residents and set the main city for the field as the remains of that settlement, which was occupied by wealthy celebrities and scientists hiding from the Great War. There's an East Coast Brotherhood branch, the Sunshine Steel, which came into conflict with a group of technology-worshiping Russians whose repaired oil tanker crashed into the beach to try and invade in the name of finding more tech. There's been some efforts for someone to come in a "gatorclaw" costume.
Russians? I'm surprised they didn't go with Cuban Conquistadors who happened to overthrow the American presence on the island when the bombs fell. It could've been thematic as hell.

Fountain of Dreams was an awful game, but the general idea was neat. Florida becoming an island teeming with mutating diseases after the bombs fell and the quest to acquire the ultimate cure could make for a solid game. Have the diseases/mutations as a game mechanic, where some are beneficial in the short term (like Strength and Endurance maxed out at 10, but Intelligence and Perception are reduced to 1), or prevent worse diseases from taking hold at the cost of minor SPECIAL stat penalties.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Finally got around to playing FNV and oof modding is a pain in the cock and balls for this game

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

Russians? I'm surprised they didn't go with Cuban Conquistadors who happened to overthrow the American presence on the island when the bombs fell. It could've been thematic as hell.

Fountain of Dreams was an awful game, but the general idea was neat.

Legit question, what was wrong with it? I'm starting to feel suckered in over the box art and screenshot of three-eyed mole enemies.

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Finally got around to playing FNV and oof modding is a pain in the cock and balls for this game

When people say they've spent more time modding a gamebryo game than playing it, they dont mean that as a term of endearment :v:

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Neurolimal posted:

Legit question, what was wrong with it? I'm starting to feel suckered in over the box art and screenshot of three-eyed mole enemies.

From the five minutes I can remember playing, the interface is lovely, the character customization is lacking compared to Wasteland and you can't walk five feet without being killed by juggalos.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Father Wendigo posted:

Sons of the Crimson Star only existed because a huge gang of Russian milsim players wanted to come to the Fallout event in their Russian gear, so they wrote the next game's story around an invasion by a Russian technology cult (descended from gopniks who survived the Great War in the metro system) to give them an excuse to boost attendance and create an entire new faction.

They actually played it up really well and didn't really mess up the Fallout feel, since they stuck to the cult idea and had banners and strange missionaries. Crimson Star rolling through your territory was usually led by some weird hunchback guys in platsch palatka ponchos followed by two dozen men in woodland camo with AKs who would try to trade with you and give you the tale of Potat. The banner itself was a weapon, as they put an airsoft Claymore on the front that would be detonated by striking the ground hard with the base.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I would play the poo poo out of a Fallout: New Soviet Union tbqh

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Neurolimal posted:

Leroy Dennui posted:

From the five minutes I can remember playing, the interface is lovely, the character customization is lacking compared to Wasteland and you can't walk five feet without being killed by juggalos.

To explain a little further: the world map is pretty small and has the entire gamut of leveled enemy encounters equally distributed, meaning you're just as likely to run into a level 1 Beach Bum as you are a pack of Level 50 Killer Clowns with fully automatic popcorn-poppers (which will wipe out an entire level 1 party before they can react). You can run from some encounters, but you then have to break eyesight on the overworld map like a buggy 4-bit Metal Gear Solid.

edit:

dead comedy forums posted:

I would play the poo poo out of a Fallout: New Soviet Union tbqh

Fallout: New S.S.R.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 25, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The funny part is that Crimson Star was designed as a new threat to the Florida Wasteland that would come into a major physical conflict with the local Brotherhood chapter (the Sunshine Steel) while trying to gain control of hidden nukes.

What actually happened was the Crimson Star negotiated with every faction they came across and conquered large swathes of the wasteland through diplomacy.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i would love to see a fallout set in another country. the soviet union actually became friendly with the US in fallout lore, so they could have an english speaking faction based out of a US embassy somewhere. Fallout: China would be really cool as well. Bethesda has actually stuck pretty close to the original fallout/van buren design documents regarding stuff like the hei gui stealth suits so it would be neat to see what kind of tech the chinese were using pre-war.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

ok I just met the Yes Man and New Vegas is giving strong the "ahhhh so this is why people say this game is great" feels

(I knew I shouldn't have taken so much time to do ring-a-ding-ding)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i would love to see a fallout set in another country. the soviet union actually became friendly with the US in fallout lore, so they could have an english speaking faction based out of a US embassy somewhere. Fallout: China would be really cool as well. Bethesda has actually stuck pretty close to the original fallout/van buren design documents regarding stuff like the hei gui stealth suits so it would be neat to see what kind of tech the chinese were using pre-war.

FO:USSR would be great. I mean, it would be -very- different given the whole focus on kitsch and Americana, but you could play with the other side of the cold war terrors. Plus I'm sure there was some hot and heavy border action between China and the USSR.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Liquid Communism posted:

FO:USSR would be great. I mean, it would be -very- different given the whole focus on kitsch and Americana, but you could play with the other side of the cold war terrors. Plus I'm sure there was some hot and heavy border action between China and the USSR.

The radio could feature Eduard Khil!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavMtUWDBTM

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I feel like Metro scratches that particular Itch to some extent.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Azhais posted:

The radio could feature Eduard Khil!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavMtUWDBTM

Amusing bit of trivia: the song originally had lyrics, but Khil got in an argument with the lyricist who insisted that the lyrics are the most important part of a song.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

FO:USSR would be great. I mean, it would be -very- different given the whole focus on kitsch and Americana, but you could play with the other side of the cold war terrors

This is actually the great thing about it, since the Soviet perception of the Cold War was greatly different from the American/Western view (particularly after the 70s). Besides, it would be funny to do stuff that makes it a different setting. Like, for example, the USSR scientists being the ones who actually developed transistorized computing in the setting but could only make proper use way later because of electronic Lysenkoism haha

Or even better, they managed a stable fusion reaction but nobody in the bureaucracy approved it because the scientific papers didn't manage to explain it in accordance to historical materialism, just in time before the war (that would be mean). Really, things that could allow a lot of variance in design and such: if Fallout in the US is all about Americana, an USSR Fallout could be inspired by the early technocratic movement and the Soviet "scientific optimism" of the Lenin years.

what I am saying is Bethesda come on you can do something and if you do not well outsource to CDPR

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Holy poo poo I just read through this entire thread in one sitting and wanted to press quote a million times but all the posts are weeks old and it's already been said a million times how FO4 sucks balls, sooooo I'll just post a few pictures for now:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i like pretty much all the mechanical changes they made in fallout 4, i love the power armour, and i enjoy building settlements, but holy poo poo the main story whomps.

not quite as bad as FO3 though

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I've modded my way into Tale of Two Wastelands + project nevada, and while I'm having a hell of a good time, Fallout 3/NV combat is a goddamn disaster. Having inertia-less enemies ice skate sideways and head shot you while your guns sometimes fire correctly does not make for smooth and rewarding gameplay. I'll also never understand why I get a better framerate with less stutter in FO4 than in 3.

It's neat to play 3 and New Vegas interchangeably, though. 3 is a playground of murder set pieces and combat xp while NV occasionally asks you to make a meaningful decision or pay attention to dialogue, and actually seems to take place in a setting. The contrast has never been so stark to me.

TTW starts you off in the capitol wasteland, and I've spent nearly my entire play through thus far thinking about what choices I'm going to make when I get to New Vegas, since there are no actual decisions in Fallout 3 if you're roleplaying as anything other than a serial killer. It's kind of insulting to call this a role playing game at all. Bethesda does know how to make some fun set pieces, though. I can also appreciate their approach to some of the DLC. Operation Anchorage is a fun break from giving a poo poo about looting, weapon condition, not starving, etc, although it does give you absurdly powerful rewards for a DLC you can complete as you first action after escaping Vault 101. The Pitt may contain the only instance of morally grey decision making I've encountered thus far in the entire game. Point Lookout is at least an interesting setting, and playing with Project Nevada strips away some of the absurd health pools enjoyed by redneck mutants.

Mothership Zeta is trash garbage, though, and I don't have a single positive thing to say about it.

Riatsala fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 28, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Do you have the NV4GB patch? By default 3 and NV are capped at 2 GB of ram.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

Do you have the NV4GB patch? By default 3 and NV are capped at 2 GB of ram.

I do. As well as the NV stutter remover. I was getting around 20 FPS in the exterior sections of Operation Anchorage.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Riatsala posted:

Having inertia-less enemies ice skate sideways and head shot you while your guns sometimes fire correctly does not make for smooth and rewarding gameplay.

the multiple idiosyncrasies inherent in the F3/NV engine are comfortingly familiar for me, but i played both of those games at launch and have sunk hundreds of hours into each of them and at this point i don't even notice them any more. hearing someone else approach it with a fresh perspective is amusing, but your point is also an interesting one.

i don't remember movement in F4 having actual inertial either? like, you can always move at your max speed (it doesn't take time to build up from jog > run) and i don't recall traveling downhill including unintentional movement (you can stop on a dime even on a downward slope). did F4 actually have movement inertia, or did it just conceal it better than two games from '08 and '10?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Deacon is also the only person in F4 to directly reference House, and they both wear sunglasses that they never take off...

The real question is, who else is Deacon :tinfoil:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Deacon is a master of disguise and also he's using the same accent as this other character feel like mutually-exclusive statements

Like if the whole point of you is that you can't trust your appearance, then why would I trust your appearance in the very next sentence

I'm sure I'm not over-thinking this throwaway statement

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Gort posted:

Deacon is a master of disguise and also he's using the same accent as this other character feel like mutually-exclusive statements

Like if the whole point of you is that you can't trust your appearance, then why would I trust your appearance in the very next sentence

Why do you hate dreams and happiness, Gort?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Gort posted:

Have you seen Deacon's "disguises" from before you officially meet him?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

the multiple idiosyncrasies inherent in the F3/NV engine are comfortingly familiar for me, but i played both of those games at launch and have sunk hundreds of hours into each of them and at this point i don't even notice them any more. hearing someone else approach it with a fresh perspective is amusing, but your point is also an interesting one.

i don't remember movement in F4 having actual inertial either? like, you can always move at your max speed (it doesn't take time to build up from jog > run) and i don't recall traveling downhill including unintentional movement (you can stop on a dime even on a downward slope). did F4 actually have movement inertia, or did it just conceal it better than two games from '08 and '10?

What I really mean is that there's a combination of factors that make NV/3 combat feel janky and not always completely fair, especially when you're coming back from FO4 (which is not, by any means, a masterpiece of rewarding combat, but still a vast improvement.) Among them are:

1. Enemies movement is fast and unnatural; enemies can, like the player, start and stop on a dime and change direction almost instantly, all the while being able to fire at you with near total disregard for anything other than avoiding incoming grenades. This makes it really hard to lead them or predict their movement at all, making close quarters fights very frustrating.

2. Enemy reaction time (assuming they're standing) is basically instant. They go from pointing away from you, studying the nearby rubble to pointing at you and shooting in the blink of an eye.

3. Weapons don't always fire like the should. I have 300+ hours in Fallout New Vegas and I still can't get a feel for the fire rate of the service rifle. Sometimes it fires as fast as you can click. Sometimes it doesn't fire at all. The 9mm pistol is also a big offender, while on the other hand the laser pistol seems to fire perfectly every single time. A mystery.

4. It's really hard to tell if you missed, and if so by how much. Bullets are invisible, bullet hole decals are hard to see and terrain hit effect don't have the sort of immediate visual clarity that they tend to in modern FPSes. Energy weapons are a strong exception.

5. VATS is a goddamn mess. I just fired nearly 50 9mm rounds at 95% to hit on a nukalurk's face and hit exactly 0 of them, with no hits to the rest of his body and no object inbetween us. And that happens all the drat time.

6. Your movement isn't always very exact. There's definitely some input lag when you move, stop, or sometimes when you change a weapon or fire a weapon.

7. Grenades work through some walls, but not through others. I've long since given up on making sense of where a grenade lands vs who they hit and how much damage they inflict. Still fun as hell.

8. Prop and terrain hit boxes are inconsistent. Sometimes you can fire through holes, sometimes you can't. Sometimes cover is just as tall and wide as it seems, sometimes it isn't.

9. No loving iron sights in 3, are you serious? What the gently caress? That's fine, I guess, if your reticle gave any indication as to the accuracy/spread of your weapon but you don't even get that. Solved in New Vegas, but fuuuuuck

Granted, these are individually small complaints. Not all of these things are constant problems, and Fallout 4 certainly didn't solve all of them, but taken together with inexplicably bad frame rates, micro stutters, and general glitchy-ness it can be a disappointing experience in a game that's 75% shooting the other mans, 20% fiddling with inventory and 5% having a story happen to you. And it's not like we didn't know how to make satisfying and fun FPS combat in 2008.

Riatsala fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 30, 2018

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Riatsala posted:

3. Weapons don't always fire like the should. I have 300+ hours in Fallout New Vegas and I still can't get a feel for the fire rate of the service rifle. Sometimes it fires as fast as you can click. Sometimes it doesn't fire at all. The 9mm pistol is also a big offender, while on the other hand the laser pistol seems to fire perfectly every single time. A mystery.

I don't know if you're already taking this into account, but weapons do jam/won't always fire in NV if they're in poor condition. Also keep service rifles only as repair fodder for the best gun, the Survivalist's Rifle.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Leroy Dennui posted:

I don't know if you're already taking this into account, but weapons do jam/won't always fire in NV if they're in poor condition. Also keep service rifles only as repair fodder for the best gun, the Survivalist's Rifle.

I don't fire anything if it's below 75%. I'm a weird perfectionist about that. I didn't know that, though. I knew the reload animations would get extra steps or the like, didn't know it effected firing.

Also strongly agree. Service rifles are trash for several reasons.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I wonder who'd win in a "most janky combat competition, fallout 3, new vegas or Vampire Bloodlines. 'Cause that one had some real jank in it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

double nine posted:

I wonder who'd win in a "most janky combat competition, fallout 3, new vegas or Vampire Bloodlines. 'Cause that one had some real jank in it.

New Vegas combat is just Fallout 3 but better. I’d say the first Deus Ex and Vampire are far worse combat wise than F3/NV.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

New Vegas combat is just Fallout 3 but better. I’d say the first Deus Ex and Vampire are far worse combat wise than F3/NV.

My first thought was Deus Ex, but if we're giving slack to games based on year of release, VtMBL probably wins.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Riatsala posted:

fire rate in semi auto weapons is a mess because of the way inputs are buffered and detected. If you just click as fast as you can, a ton of those clicks won't be registered at all. That makes the firerate random, annoying as hell.

It's the same poo poo that causes lever action weapons to randomly not fire at all, and then randomly fire two/three shots almost instantly without any input whatsoever.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Halser posted:

fire rate in semi auto weapons is a mess because of the way inputs are buffered and detected. If you just click as fast as you can, a ton of those clicks won't be registered at all. That makes the firerate random, annoying as hell.

It's the same poo poo that causes lever action weapons to randomly not fire at all, and then randomly fire two/three shots almost instantly without any input whatsoever.

Huh, I had always wondered. Clears up a lot, thanks.

Also explains why I always naturally gravitated towards automatics and bolt actions, despite preferring semi-autos in pretty much every other game.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wolfsheim posted:

Deacon is also the only person in F4 to directly reference House, and they both wear sunglasses that they never take off...

The real question is, who else is Deacon :tinfoil:

Everybody.

Fallout is actually nothing but Deacon. Every single character? Deacon. The super mutants? Also deacon. Gigantic scorpions? Guess what? They're also Deacon. That metal shack over there? You bet your rear end it's Deacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Riatsala posted:

My first thought was Deus Ex, but if we're giving slack to games based on year of release, VtMBL probably wins.

Deus Ex's combat isn't good, and low leveled weapons are a pain to work with, but once you get a skill mastered it's okay. (Had fun once in the catacombs throwing skulls and quickdrawing the sniper rifle to blow them apart before they hit the ground.)

Invisible War is worse. Deus Ex was clunky and weird, but it also had plenty of fun emergent options, and it felt good to score a hit. Blow holes in someone's arm, they drop their gun. Clean headshot, clean kill. Invisible War had most enemies feel like bullet sponges, weak sound and feedback, the universal ammo system, and a whole lot of other poo poo that prevented even Deus Ex levels of enjoyment in shooting dudes.