Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I actually think Andromeda is a fine game. It’s not really “bad” in any sense as much as it is bland and forgettable. It’s an extremely safe game by a company where “safe” is their bread and butter. Anyone saying it’s actually “bad” hasn’t played actual bad games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

chaosapiant posted:

I actually think Andromeda is a fine game. It’s not really “bad” in any sense as much as it is bland and forgettable. It’s an extremely safe game by a company where “safe” is their bread and butter. Anyone saying it’s actually “bad” hasn’t played actual bad games.

it would have escaped as forgettably mediocre if the game as it is now was the state it had released in

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

chaosapiant posted:

True.

AriadneThread posted:

it would have escaped as forgettably mediocre if the game as it is now was the state it had released in

Letting something go, ever?

Surely you're joking. We are Goons, sir or madam.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
By the mid-way point of the second act of DA2, every single moment of combat made me want to claw my fuckin' eyes out.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dragon Age 2 is a lot more tolerable when you realize you’re not playing your character, rather than playing the protagonist of Varric’s story.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

chaosapiant posted:

Dragon Age 2 is a lot more tolerable when you realize you’re not playing your character, rather than playing the protagonist of Varric’s story.

Also if you always pick the sarcastic answers and basically roleplay like Hawke is constantly drunk

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Why is it that people like Purple Hawke so much?

Is it because of the bad jokes and snark? Or that they like that Purple Hawke is trying to make light of their lovely situation? Or that they can't take story of DA2 seriously, so gently caress it have their player character make a snarky comment all the time?

I dunno, I like Blue Hawke more than Purple Hawke. But that may also be because I like being the nice/diplomatic/paragon character

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
I played DA2 as sarcastic gravity mage and was generally entertained enough by it, the real high point of the game being that enough people thought it was bad and yelled about it that Bioware gave out free copies of ME2 to anyone who'd bought DA2 at full launch price.

This ensured that I could continue to be disappointed with the endings of their games when ME3 came out.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

SgtSteel91 posted:

Is it because of the bad jokes and snark? Or that they like that Purple Hawke is trying to make light of their lovely situation?

Yes and yes. I normally play as paragons too and so often hear my character delivering lines I find too sentimental or pious. It's nice to be able to play a good person more lightheartedly.
E: I am British, it may be relevant.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

chaosapiant posted:

This is why I used the film analogy. Yea there's super buggy lovely games but Andromeda is bad for something made by a big recognisable company with loads of money spent on it. Unforgivably bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying Andromeda is bad strictly on the merits of it being a shocking low quality effort in a beloved series from a (previously) trusted developer. If Naughty Dog rebooted Uncharted and gave Nate google eyes with primo dialogue like “I will. gently caress. Your. poo poo. Up” then people would be right to call that out as being freaking terrible, even if the game were technically playable. It also didn’t help that 2017 was just a strong year for games in general and a subpar Mass Effect game looked really worn and tired by comparison. In the month that Andromeda launched alone you had Horizon Zero Dawn, Zelda and Nier:A all doing different stuff with the open world format, each not feeling immediately dated upon release.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Bought a few of the DA novels as a curiosity. Let’s see how interesting they are.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Smol posted:

Bought a few of the DA novels as a curiosity. Let’s see how interesting they are.

The first one is abysmal. Godspeed.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Smol posted:

I'm waiting for Hard in Hightown. It comes out in a couple of months.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Smol posted:

I’ve read all of them. I think they get progressively better and the last two are on par for a Salvatore novel. Whether that’s a compliment or not is up to you.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I probably read every Salvatore Forgotten Realms novel as a teenager, so I can’t say that I hate the man. But that was 15 years ago, so who knows. :shrug:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Smol posted:

I probably read every Salvatore Forgotten Realms novel as a teenager, so I can’t say that I hate the man. But that was 15 years ago, so who knows. :shrug:

I have a soft spot for his dark elf poo poo even though Drizzt is a boring character. The one where Wulfgar is just a giant tavern guard who is constantly drunk is my favorite.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Can't remember if it was this bad in the later games, but the DA:O voice actors trying to pronounce Elven with their American accents sounds so out of place. Not that I know what real Elvish is supposed to sound like, but it can't be this.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Smol posted:

Can't remember if it was this bad in the later games, but the DA:O voice actors trying to pronounce Elven with their American accents sounds so out of place.

Later elves have Northern Irish (or rarely Welsh) accents which I prefer, but I supposed US accents seemed less strange to Americans?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Oh dear me posted:

Later elves have Northern Irish (or rarely Welsh) accents which I prefer, but I supposed US accents seemed less strange to Americans?

They're all welsh aren't they? Merril certainly is.
I don't remember any northern irish accents in Dragon Age. Skellige in Witcher 3 has Northern Ireland - they're not similar to Welsh at all.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

The Dalish clan in the Exalted Plains have Irish accents. They didn't sound like Nordies to me though.

Solas and Merrill both have Welsh accents.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
It's more that made-up elvish words in a clear American accent (in terms of intonation and the consonants and vowels used) sounds very off. Languages are expected to have a distinct phonology. Merrill's pronunciation sounds similarly off to me: when she slips in an elvish word in conversation it does not sound like a different language. You can sort of justify it in-world since the Dalish don't really know the language, they are only trying to recreate it from bits and pieces. Of the VAs I feel only Alix Regan (female inquisitor) is especially good at delivering the elvish lines.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah a lot of the voice actors pronouncing the elvish words sound like Brad Pitt’s Italian in Inglorious Basterds.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Taear posted:

They're all welsh aren't they? Merril certainly is.
I don't remember any northern irish accents in Dragon Age. Skellige in Witcher 3 has Northern Ireland - they're not similar to Welsh at all.

In DA2, Keeper Marethari and the rest of Merrill's clan (except Merrill) are Northern Ireland.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

A little something I learned on this DA:O playthrough: Sten has some lenghty dialogue chains you can unlock only if you bring him to certain locations on your first visit there. These are in (thanks to the wiki) Denerim Market, Redcliffe Chantry, Brecilian Forest and the Apprentice Quarters at the Mage Tower. I accidentally unlocked a few of them and was blown away. I guess I must've not used him much on my previous playthroughs, because I've genuinely never heard any of these dialogues.

So if you want to learn more about him, remember to bring him to these locations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Or I can just leave him to die in his cage like the dirty Qunari he is.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

PureRok posted:

Or I can just leave him to die in his cage like the dirty Qunari he is.

Wow. Rude.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Smol posted:

A little something I learned on this DA:O playthrough: Sten has some lenghty dialogue chains you can unlock only if you bring him to certain locations on your first visit there. These are in (thanks to the wiki) Denerim Market, Redcliffe Chantry, Brecilian Forest and the Apprentice Quarters at the Mage Tower. I accidentally unlocked a few of them and was blown away. I guess I must've not used him much on my previous playthroughs, because I've genuinely never heard any of these dialogues.

So if you want to learn more about him, remember to bring him to these locations.

Sten is a great companion, and I like that he goes against Bioware type when you first meet him ("Tell me about your people." "No."). Honestly, other than Oghren every DAO party member is pretty great. The only one I never interacted with outside of camp was Zevran, but that was more because there are no respec potions when you're playing on PS3 and he's just about the poorest rogue build you could make.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Never used Shale much in my previous playthroughs, but took her to Orzammar this time. I'm really surprised how little she has to say about anything though. You'd think that they'd write some lines for her when talking about Caridin and the golems for example, but nope. :shrug:

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
Most of Shale's special dialog on that front happens at the Anvil if you bring her along with you.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
MEA felt a lot like the Babylon 5 movies to me(aside from the prequel one). They were trying to kickstart another series, but the quality felt off and it wasn't even close to being able to recapture the same feelings you got when watching the original.

But dammit, it felt fun to be back in that little universe again. Hey, look, it's the blue alien women! Oh, there are the Krogans, I wonder what kind of shenanigans they're up to this time. Heya, fast-talking frog dude.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

They really don't give you good reasons for choosing Bhelen. I tried playing both sides this time to see if Bhelen would make a persuasive argument, but I don't think he even tried.

So Harrowmont it is.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Smol posted:

They really don't give you good reasons for choosing Bhelen. I tried playing both sides this time to see if Bhelen would make a persuasive argument, but I don't think he even tried.

So Harrowmont it is.

They both suck but for different reasons and I both love and hate that. The bigger rear end in a top hat ends up being the stronger leader and the other guy is less of an rear end in a top hat but tanks the whole place eventually.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Smol posted:

So Harrowmont it is.

*casteless beggars being crippled by law enforcement for laughs and a woman on the verge of leaving her baby to die because he was born the wrong gender*

Ahhh, a grand society, the guy who wants to change this is probably the villain.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Ahhh, a grand society, the guy who wants to change this is probably the villain.
Maybe I forgot something, but I don’t think its ever actually stated ingame in DA:O (besides the epilogue slides) that Bhelen want to change dwarven society.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Raygereio posted:

Maybe I forgot something, but I don’t think its ever actually stated ingame in DA:O (besides the epilogue slides) that Bhelen want to change dwarven society.

It definitely comes up prominently if you're playing a dwarf (I'm not sure if they indicate his fiance is casteless if you're not), and I know at least one dwarven merchant talks about how Bhelen wants to reform trade by changing the laws to stop making GBS threads on casteless and surface dwarves so hard.

They also do a good job of showing you how terrible dwarven society is, so when the game goes 'Bhelen is trying to submit false records to the Shaperate!' it's right after showing you that the Shaperate is bribed or coerced into falsifying entire histories and lineages pretty regularly, so what does it really matter? The way Bhelen uses the hypocrisy of dwarven traditions and rules to get an upper hand is actually a nice touch.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Wolfsheim posted:

They also do a good job of showing you how terrible dwarven society is, so when the game goes 'Bhelen is trying to submit false records to the Shaperate!' it's right after showing you that the Shaperate is bribed or coerced into falsifying entire histories and lineages pretty regularly, so what does it really matter? The way Bhelen uses the hypocrisy of dwarven traditions and rules to get an upper hand is actually a nice touch.
I'm not sure I get the logic here. There is corruption in the system, so it's sensible to support the person using that corruption for personal advantage?

Raygereio posted:

Yeah, he never really presents himself as any kind of reformer.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Does Bhelen actually care about reform? Sure, trade restrictions were loosened and whatever. Yay for the Merchant caste? But it’s not like Bhelen is some progressive hero for allowing the casteless to die against the Darkspawn. All I know for sure is that in the Bhelen timeline the body count is a lot, lot higher.

...I guess it’s like having to choose between Putin and Yeltsin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Smol posted:

Does Bhelen actually care about reform? Sure, trade restrictions were loosened and whatever. Yay for the Merchant caste? But it’s not like Bhelen is some progressive hero for allowing the casteless to die against the Darkspawn. All I know for sure is that in the Bhelen timeline the body count is a lot, lot higher.

...I guess it’s like having to choose between Putin and Yeltsin.

“In Orzammar, King Bhelen quickly proved himself a reformer. Trade with the surface lands increased and caste restrictions were loosened. The casteless were permitted to take arms against the darkspawn in exchange for new freedoms. For the first time in generations, the line in the Deep Roads was pushed back, and a few thaigs were reclaimed. Bhelen's reforms quickly found him enemies within the warrior and noble castes, however, and after several assassination attempts, the Assembly was dissolved. The king then ruled alone--some said as a tyrant, others said as a visionary determined to drag Orzammar into the modern world. When the first human armies arrived from Ferelden, King Bhelen welcomed them with open arms. Within months, the darkspawn were driven back as far as the Dead Trenches, and the first dwarven warrior to return with a relic retaken from the gates of Bownammar was greeted by cheering, jubilant crowds.”

“In Orzammar, King Harrowmont quickly put down Bhelen's rebellion and then passed a series of laws to please the clan lords. Unfortunately, that isolated the dwarves even further from the surface. Caste restrictions and the rights of the nobles both grew, and trade with the human lands was all but cut off. When the first human armies arrived from Ferelden, they found themselves blocked at the city gates. Harrowmont feared the disruption the humans would cause and permitted only limited aid in the form of equipment and herbal medicines. After a law excluding the casteless from common areas of the city was passed, a rebellion saw the slums reduced practically to rubble. Although outrage was widespread, the Assembly remained united behind King Harrowmont. In time, Harrowmont's health began to fail. Some claimed it was poison, while others said it was a flagging spirit. Either way, after a protracted illness, the king finally passed away. The wrangling in the Assembly for a successor began almost immediately.”

I totally forgot Harrowmont dies in his epilogue too, but at least he did it doing what he loved...destroying trade for no reason, giving all remaining wealth to the nobles and punishing the severely impoverished for existing :shrug: