Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

yeah macos default settings for just about everything are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

command-shift-G "/" or just keep hitting command-up until it stops

i did command-shift-g ~ once and the student looked at me like i had just hacked the gibson

here's a big secret: kids these days are just as stupid about computers as kids in any other era. they know how to use snapchat to sext but if there isn't a share button prominently located on screen they can't find a jpg file of the sext they just took. as usual only nerds understand what's going on

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 30, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

but yeah, "all my files" is not great if you have a need to do anything specific with the file system. the good news is, if you're using OSX, you don't

lol @ this myth

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i was once demoing a thing in class and had found a google image that i wanted to use. the hosting website had disabled right clicking so i couldn't download it. it took me about 10 seconds to press F12, locate the image address in the code, open it manually in a new tab, and download that. once again, these "born digital" "always online" "constantly connected" "internet generation" 22-year-old kids acted like i had just exploded out of agent smith's body in the matrix

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah children are idiots. that's why they're in class.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the easiest way is to cmd-up from applications, or “open /“ from a terminal

if it’s your account and this is something you actually do a lot (???) you should just pin it in favorites ofc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

yeah children are idiots. that's why they're in class.

my class isn't intended to teach them how a file system works, and neither are any of the other classes because it's assumed that they already know this stuff bc they were REALLY GOOD at computers as a kid (read: i used to play so many old-skool games like Halo 2 on my ancient xbox 360 haha)

we actually do still need an "intro to computers" class but no one would take it because they assume they're all smarter than that

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

we actually do still need an "intro to computers" class but no one would take it because they assume they're all smarter than that

seriously

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

when i was in college, my business major friends had a mandatory intro to computers class and their homework was the most insane garbage where they'd have to take dozens of screenshots of like opening the file menu or whatever in word. it mostly just looked tedious and not really something that needed a full semester

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and yet off the top of my head i have students who

- don't understand what a zip file is, and can't understand why the library "file" they downloaded doesn't work when dumped in the folder (reading instructions is not students' strong suit tbf)
- or who don't know what a file path is in the first place, and can't navigate to a folder if that's all they're given
- or who can't identify that a file that "just won't open, i don't know" is likely corrupted by looking at the metadata and realizing that their banner-size photoshop document probably should not be 14kB
- or who try to email me twenty ten-megabyte JPEGs and then complain "it just tells me it couldn't send" and are mystified when i point out the line in the delivery failure where it says the size limit. (forget about trying to teach them about resizing and compression)

these are basic computer literacy skills that for whatever reason they aren't picking up on their own

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

lol @ this myth

what myth? if you're using mac os what business do you have mucking about in the file system? you're just gonna break something

stebe rightly decreed that you can't service macs and you can't janitor the filesystem. everything is perfectly siloed by file metadata to the application it needs to open with and it just works™.

you don't need to concern yourself with petty details like file paths or storage locations or whether your files actually exist on your pc or are in the cloud

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

and yet off the top of my head i have students who

- don't understand what a zip file is, and can't understand why the library "file" they downloaded doesn't work when dumped in the folder (reading instructions is not students' strong suit tbf)
- or who don't know what a file path is in the first place, and can't navigate to a folder if that's all they're given
- or who can't identify that a file that "just won't open, i don't know" is likely corrupted by looking at the metadata and realizing that their banner-size photoshop document probably should not be 14kB
- or who try to email me twenty ten-megabyte JPEGs and then complain "it just tells me it couldn't send" and are mystified when i point out the line in the delivery failure where it says the size limit. (forget about trying to teach them about resizing and compression)

these are basic computer literacy skills that for whatever reason they aren't picking up on their own

see, this is just a failure of software developers to make computers that work

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

see, this is just a failure of software developers to make computers that work

much like how car accidents are the fault of car designers not making better cars

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

when i was in college, my business major friends had a mandatory intro to computers class and their homework was the most insane garbage where they'd have to take dozens of screenshots of like opening the file menu or whatever in word. it mostly just looked tedious and not really something that needed a full semester

make CS students do this to create instructions for how the TA should be grading their assignments :devil:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

much like how car accidents are the fault of car designers not making better cars

exactly, if the cars worked right they wouldn't crash

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what myth? if you're using mac os what business do you have mucking about in the file system? you're just gonna break something

stebe rightly decreed that you can't service macs and you can't janitor the filesystem. everything is perfectly siloed by file metadata to the application it needs to open with and it just works™.

you don't need to concern yourself with petty details like file paths or storage locations or whether your files actually exist on your pc or are in the cloud

otool was created as punishment for developers that want to mess with the file system

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Finder is so, so terrible I can't blame kids that have only ever used a Mac for having no idea how to navigate to a folder.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
suits my needs

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
path finder solves all file management problems with osx

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's 2018 and finder still can't do folder merge in a non-stupid way

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op if you had kept up on the latest apple news you'd know that children literally do not understand even the concept of a computer

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

op if you had kept up on the latest apple news you'd know that children literally do not understand even the concept of a computer

its the thing you play fortnite on

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

you are misreading the post a bit, i am saying they *feared* that it would become a competitive platform.

correction, they feared it would become the lowest common denominator platform (much like it had for the web) and all developers would focus on that instead of writing native apps. and it would suck everywhere and adobe would never make it better.

if it wasn’t for stebe you’d be doing your snapchat sexting in flash in a web browser on your phone right now and your battery would be drained in 20 minutes.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Management posted:

correction, they feared it would become the lowest common denominator platform (much like it had for the web) and all developers would focus on that instead of writing native apps. and it would suck everywhere and adobe would never make it better.

i don't remember the timeline, was this before or after apple let people write native applications for ios as opposed to HTML5 ones they said were good enough?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

i don't remember the timeline, was this before or after apple let people write native applications for ios as opposed to HTML5 ones they said were good enough?
long after. 2010

for posterity:

quote:

Thoughts on Flash

Apple has a long relationship with Adobe. In fact, we met Adobe’s founders when they were in their proverbial garage. Apple was their first big customer, adopting their Postscript language for our new Laserwriter printer. Apple invested in Adobe and owned around 20% of the company for many years. The two companies worked closely together to pioneer desktop publishing and there were many good times. Since that golden era, the companies have grown apart. Apple went through its near death experience, and Adobe was drawn to the corporate market with their Acrobat products. Today the two companies still work together to serve their joint creative customers – Mac users buy around half of Adobe’s Creative Suite products – but beyond that there are few joint interests.

I wanted to jot down some of our thoughts on Adobe’s Flash products so that customers and critics may better understand why we do not allow Flash on iPhones, iPods and iPads. Adobe has characterized our decision as being primarily business driven – they say we want to protect our App Store – but in reality it is based on technology issues. Adobe claims that we are a closed system, and that Flash is open, but in fact the opposite is true. Let me explain.

First, there’s “Open”.

Adobe’s Flash products are 100% proprietary. They are only available from Adobe, and Adobe has sole authority as to their future enhancement, pricing, etc. While Adobe’s Flash products are widely available, this does not mean they are open, since they are controlled entirely by Adobe and available only from Adobe. By almost any definition, Flash is a closed system.

Apple has many proprietary products too. Though the operating system for the iPhone, iPod and iPad is proprietary, we strongly believe that all standards pertaining to the web should be open. Rather than use Flash, Apple has adopted HTML5, CSS and JavaScript – all open standards. Apple’s mobile devices all ship with high performance, low power implementations of these open standards. HTML5, the new web standard that has been adopted by Apple, Google and many others, lets web developers create advanced graphics, typography, animations and transitions without relying on third party browser plug-ins (like Flash). HTML5 is completely open and controlled by a standards committee, of which Apple is a member.

Apple even creates open standards for the web. For example, Apple began with a small open source project and created WebKit, a complete open-source HTML5 rendering engine that is the heart of the Safari web browser used in all our products. WebKit has been widely adopted. Google uses it for Android’s browser, Palm uses it, Nokia uses it, and RIM (Blackberry) has announced they will use it too. Almost every smartphone web browser other than Microsoft’s uses WebKit. By making its WebKit technology open, Apple has set the standard for mobile web browsers.

Second, there’s the “full web”.

Adobe has repeatedly said that Apple mobile devices cannot access “the full web” because 75% of video on the web is in Flash. What they don’t say is that almost all this video is also available in a more modern format, H.264, and viewable on iPhones, iPods and iPads. YouTube, with an estimated 40% of the web’s video, shines in an app bundled on all Apple mobile devices, with the iPad offering perhaps the best YouTube discovery and viewing experience ever. Add to this video from Vimeo, Netflix, Facebook, ABC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, ESPN, NPR, Time, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Sports Illustrated, People, National Geographic, and many, many others. iPhone, iPod and iPad users aren’t missing much video.

Another Adobe claim is that Apple devices cannot play Flash games. This is true. Fortunately, there are over 50,000 games and entertainment titles on the App Store, and many of them are free. There are more games and entertainment titles available for iPhone, iPod and iPad than for any other platform in the world.

Third, there’s reliability, security and performance.

Symantec recently highlighted Flash for having one of the worst security records in 2009. We also know first hand that Flash is the number one reason Macs crash. We have been working with Adobe to fix these problems, but they have persisted for several years now. We don’t want to reduce the reliability and security of our iPhones, iPods and iPads by adding Flash.

In addition, Flash has not performed well on mobile devices. We have routinely asked Adobe to show us Flash performing well on a mobile device, any mobile device, for a few years now. We have never seen it. Adobe publicly said that Flash would ship on a smartphone in early 2009, then the second half of 2009, then the first half of 2010, and now they say the second half of 2010. We think it will eventually ship, but we’re glad we didn’t hold our breath. Who knows how it will perform?

Fourth, there’s battery life.

To achieve long battery life when playing video, mobile devices must decode the video in hardware; decoding it in software uses too much power. Many of the chips used in modern mobile devices contain a decoder called H.264 – an industry standard that is used in every Blu-ray DVD player and has been adopted by Apple, Google (YouTube), Vimeo, Netflix and many other companies.

Although Flash has recently added support for H.264, the video on almost all Flash websites currently requires an older generation decoder that is not implemented in mobile chips and must be run in software. The difference is striking: on an iPhone, for example, H.264 videos play for up to 10 hours, while videos decoded in software play for less than 5 hours before the battery is fully drained.

When websites re-encode their videos using H.264, they can offer them without using Flash at all. They play perfectly in browsers like Apple’s Safari and Google’s Chrome without any plugins whatsoever, and look great on iPhones, iPods and iPads.

Fifth, there’s Touch.

Flash was designed for PCs using mice, not for touch screens using fingers. For example, many Flash websites rely on “rollovers”, which pop up menus or other elements when the mouse arrow hovers over a specific spot. Apple’s revolutionary multi-touch interface doesn’t use a mouse, and there is no concept of a rollover. Most Flash websites will need to be rewritten to support touch-based devices. If developers need to rewrite their Flash websites, why not use modern technologies like HTML5, CSS and JavaScript?

Even if iPhones, iPods and iPads ran Flash, it would not solve the problem that most Flash websites need to be rewritten to support touch-based devices.

Sixth, the most important reason.

Besides the fact that Flash is closed and proprietary, has major technical drawbacks, and doesn’t support touch based devices, there is an even more important reason we do not allow Flash on iPhones, iPods and iPads. We have discussed the downsides of using Flash to play video and interactive content from websites, but Adobe also wants developers to adopt Flash to create apps that run on our mobile devices.

We know from painful experience that letting a third party layer of software come between the platform and the developer ultimately results in sub-standard apps and hinders the enhancement and progress of the platform. If developers grow dependent on third party development libraries and tools, they can only take advantage of platform enhancements if and when the third party chooses to adopt the new features. We cannot be at the mercy of a third party deciding if and when they will make our enhancements available to our developers.

This becomes even worse if the third party is supplying a cross platform development tool. The third party may not adopt enhancements from one platform unless they are available on all of their supported platforms. Hence developers only have access to the lowest common denominator set of features. Again, we cannot accept an outcome where developers are blocked from using our innovations and enhancements because they are not available on our competitor’s platforms.

Flash is a cross platform development tool. It is not Adobe’s goal to help developers write the best iPhone, iPod and iPad apps. It is their goal to help developers write cross platform apps. And Adobe has been painfully slow to adopt enhancements to Apple’s platforms. For example, although Mac OS X has been shipping for almost 10 years now, Adobe just adopted it fully (Cocoa) two weeks ago when they shipped CS5. Adobe was the last major third party developer to fully adopt Mac OS X.

Our motivation is simple – we want to provide the most advanced and innovative platform to our developers, and we want them to stand directly on the shoulders of this platform and create the best apps the world has ever seen. We want to continually enhance the platform so developers can create even more amazing, powerful, fun and useful applications. Everyone wins – we sell more devices because we have the best apps, developers reach a wider and wider audience and customer base, and users are continually delighted by the best and broadest selection of apps on any platform.

Conclusions.

Flash was created during the PC era – for PCs and mice. Flash is a successful business for Adobe, and we can understand why they want to push it beyond PCs. But the mobile era is about low power devices, touch interfaces and open web standards – all areas where Flash falls short.

The avalanche of media outlets offering their content for Apple’s mobile devices demonstrates that Flash is no longer necessary to watch video or consume any kind of web content. And the 250,000 apps on Apple’s App Store proves that Flash isn’t necessary for tens of thousands of developers to create graphically rich applications, including games.

New open standards created in the mobile era, such as HTML5, will win on mobile devices (and PCs too). Perhaps Adobe should focus more on creating great HTML5 tools for the future, and less on criticizing Apple for leaving the past behind.

Steve Jobs
April, 2010

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Drastic Actions posted:

you couldn't write native apps when the iphone came out because the developer tools weren't even close to ready and they hadn't figured out how the store was going to work, they used the "no, webapps are actually good" excuse because until the last couple years they would never admit something they were selling wasn't finished yet

didn't steve give a big speech about how awesome powerpc was like 6 weeks before they announced the intel switch?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

protip: folders are not the way files were meant to be interacted with in ios and any method of doing so will be an awful hack

regardless the point is that files can’t exist on an ios outside of an app at all

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

The Management posted:

if it wasn’t for stebe you’d be doing your snapchat sexting in flash in a web browser on your phone right now and your battery would be drained in 20 minutes.

that's more than enough for a few
:smugmrgw:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
flash was bad and stebe killing it was one of the redeeming moments of his life

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I used flash when it fist came out and was called was called futurewave splash and it was bad then and it only got worse once they grafted director's incredibad timeline controls on it and then tried to make it work with actual website technologies like search engines

you should only use adobe products made in san jose, their sf office is cursed

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

you should only use adobe products originally developed by ILM

ftfy

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

qirex posted:

you should only use adobe products originally developed by aldus

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

regardless the point is that files can’t exist on an ios outside of an app at all

yes, and i'm being 100% serious here, because you're using it wrong

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
@computer literacy:

Remember when people where jealous of the youngsters who would grow up with access to computers and the net from a very young age because they'll all grow up to be tech wizards?

it's almost like most people actively avoid learning or thinking about anything that appears to be even remotely complex. A smaller sub-population seems to be receptive to forced learning through schools and higher education but only a fraction of that are self-driven learners.

fake edit: this is just a personal hot take but now I'm actually interested enough in the topic to look up what the scientific community says about it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Media Bloodbath posted:

@computer literacy:

Remember when people where jealous of the youngsters who would grow up with access to computers and the net from a very young age because they'll all grow up to be tech wizards?

it's almost like most people actively avoid learning or thinking about anything that appears to be even remotely complex. A smaller sub-population seems to be receptive to forced learning through schools and higher education but only a fraction of that are self-driven learners.

fake edit: this is just a personal hot take but now I'm actually interested enough in the topic to look up what the scientific community says about it.

i hate when people use evo psych to justify being ignorant shitheads, however

selfish genes and lazy brains explains a lot

on the plus side our curiousity comes from boredom, boredom comes from leisure

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
explanation != excuse

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

syscall girl posted:

i hate when people use evo psych to justify being ignorant shitheads, however

selfish genes and lazy brains explains a lot

on the plus side our curiousity comes from boredom, boredom comes from leisure

leisure = they ultimate luxury in today's society

So business as usual, privileged classes can afford to keep up with technology and stay employed a little while longer before we reach the true gilded age v2 again and only the real 1% has the opportunity to afford a dignified existence.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/ChappellTracker/status/991336476519686145

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol at this:

https://twitter.com/ChappellTracker/status/991337278525132800

im the neon latchkey to remind the teenagers that are studying or killing time in my section that their parents have essentially abandoned them and abdicated their child-raising responsibilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What is in the "teen zone" anyway, other than withering contempt for the kids who dwell there instead of amongst the books for adults?

Comic books and graphic novels with extra violent/sexy content?