Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Wondering how many people will jump on the PC version.

I'm sure the console versions will be popular/populated, but I ain't dropping $20 to play the same Dark Souls with minor multiplayer tweaks. And I imagine most of the "casual" playerbase will be the same.

Bunch of multiplayer changes aren't going to mean much if the community doesn't make the jump over with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
So is removing vanilla ds1 from steam effectively killing the modding community around it? Shame if so because they've kicked out some interesting stuff and it was only getting better.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

For posterity, my finest moment from my first ever Dark Souls playthrough:

Regy Rusty posted:

A TREASURE CHEST ATE ME :mad:

Rest in peace old thread

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

GreatGreen posted:

Dark Souls has the most brilliant level/world design of any game I’ve ever played and I’m looking forward to traipsing around it all over again.

...on PC and Switch.

Was drawn to it myself because the world design reminded me so much of Super Metroid. Shame the world design falls apart Anor Londo-onward

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Nonexistence posted:

So is removing vanilla ds1 from steam effectively killing the modding community around it? Shame if so because they've kicked out some interesting stuff and it was only getting better.

Based on how Steam has handled other remasters (Bioshock for instance) people who purchase the remastered version will receive the original version for free automatically even though it won't be able to be purchased individually. Hopefully it won't be hard for the current crop of mods to make their way over to the remaster so that work can continue with that as the base.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The PC version is basically just Dark Souls with native dsfix and a couple of QOL changes, but it's an excuse to buy and play more Dark Souls and that's good enough for me :colbert:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I am pumped to buy Dark Souls 1 for the fourth time.

For anyone considering playing this for the first time, just remember to laugh, and think of every death as a learning experience. Eventually you'll turn a corner on this game and it's VERY satisfying when you do.

Also always read those orange messages, they have great advice even if it doesn't seem like it. Always follow it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I expect they’re going to add in their incredibly vague anticheat used in later souls games that will softban people for crimes such as ??? and ???, so none of those mods will be safe in multiplayer anymore. Which is both bad and good since dark souls 1 on PC is kind of a hacker wasteland, I just don’t want to have to speculate on whether poo poo like sweetFX will get you banned again.

I’m assuming they’re not going to rework things under the hood to the point where mods won’t work at all though. I certainly hope not because the gun game mod and randomizer mod look fun to try

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i still think cheater talk for pc is overblown. i put in 300+ hours and didn't run into a blatant cheater, but on my playthrough of demon souls my sole invader was blatantly cheating

then again i don't do a ton of pvp which is where it'd shine

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

do we know what will happen to matchmaking? Will people play the remastered edition be able to co-op/pvp with people playing the original game?

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

After getting platinum and past NG+7 I'm about ready to put Bloodborne back on the shelf so this is perfect timing for me

Kinda sucks the Switch version doesn't play at 60 fps when docked, but I'll take a stable 30 for Souls on the go

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

double nine posted:

do we know what will happen to matchmaking? Will people play the remastered edition be able to co-op/pvp with people playing the original game?

Definitely not. Multiplayer wise we do know that there will be dedicated servers, password matching and an increased max player count.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

The PC version is basically just Dark Souls with native dsfix and a couple of QOL changes, but it's an excuse to buy and play more Dark Souls and that's good enough for me :colbert:

I really don't get why people are saying "it's just integrating dsfix" like that's a diminutive thing. You remember that dsfix breaks the hell out of the game right?

edit: dsfix works as well as it does pretty much by accident. Case in point: You would have half as many invincibility frames playing at 60 fps if it weren't for an engine quirk that duplicates them across frames. When playing at 60 with dsfix you have half as many iframes but they last twice as long, leading to no actual change. Changing over all that crap to be based on delta time instead of framerate based so the game can run at 60 for the remaster is HUGE and had to take a lot of effort.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

They're redoing the multiplayer architecture so I'm 99% sure that you won't be able to play cross-edition.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i still think cheater talk for pc is overblown. i put in 300+ hours and didn't run into a blatant cheater, but on my playthrough of demon souls my sole invader was blatantly cheating

You're just lucky I guess. DS1 has some of the worst hackers because they can literally screw up your savefile and completely ruin your playthrough. I don't PvP either but I've met a few of these :sigh:

Also I hope some of the changes help with the twinking, because one of my biggest issues with DS1 is how many people are invading in the Burg with maxed out everything. There's no better way to make a new player put down the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

^^ I’m hoping that vague change about matching within the host’s “parameter range” means they’re doing the dark souls 3 thing and preventing invaders from invading people far below their max upgrade level, which isn’t perfect but still goes a long way to fixing dark souls 1’s problem

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Without ever seeking out pvp I’ve run into more blatant cheaters than I’ve seen in any other game, including one who used hacks to kill an NPC in my brother’s world while I was cooping with him (good loving thing I was around to buy and give him what he wanted from that NPC in my game). That hacker in fact was widely known for actually ruining saves if he invaded in anor londo. It’s loving bad.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 1, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I really don't get why people are saying "it's just integrating dsfix" like that's a diminutive thing. You remember that dsfix breaks the hell out of the game right?

How does dsfix break the hell out of the game? Unless you mean the 60 fps hack, that is (a tiny and optional part of dsfix).

It fixes so many things, like the controls, UI, resolution, etc. It's great that they're actually doing that properly for this remaster :shobon:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Broke: Dark Souls 1 Remastered

Woke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3bUBAazQ08

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

How does dsfix break the hell out of the game? Unless you mean the 60 fps hack, that is (a tiny and optional part of dsfix).

It fixes so many things, like the controls, UI, resolution, etc. It's great that they're actually doing that properly for this remaster :shobon:

It is great, but it's annoying to see "you can already do this with dsfix" be such a common complaint of the remaster when dsfix is strung together with bubblegum and duct tape and sticky white stuff.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
At one point couldn't you slide down ladders through floors at 60fps?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Praise the fukken sun.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Shoehead posted:

At one point couldn't you slide down ladders through floors at 60fps?

This still happens I think, you have to toggle it off if you wanna slide. I remember that the UI scaling broke boss HP bars but idk if that has since been fixed.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

It is great, but it's annoying to see "you can already do this with dsfix" be such a common complaint of the remaster when dsfix is strung together with bubblegum and duct tape and sticky white stuff.

That wasn't what I was trying to say at all, and I absolutely agree with you. I mean heck, DSfix is literally a fan-made hack to make a terrible port not-as-terrible. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fair enough. It's just that I've seen people saying it a lot and I really just don't get it, is all.

One change I wish they had made that they unfortunately didn't is evening out the player's health/stamina bar notches. Right now the health bar notches correspond to values of like... 185 HP I think??? When they really could have just made it an even 200.

edit: Also a bug with the female running animation that's been in the game since release and never corrected. When you stop jogging as a female character, it resets to the male standing position and then weirdly morphs into the female standing position. I guess they forgot to change the transitionary animation to the proper gender's because it doesn't happen for walking or sprinting. You can fix it by pulling out a spear though, since male and female characters have the same spear animations.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 1, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

edit: Also a bug with the female running animation that's been in the game since release and never corrected. When you stop jogging as a female character, it resets to the male standing position and then weirdly morphs into the female standing position. I guess they forgot to change the transitionary animation to the proper gender's because it doesn't happen for walking or sprinting. You can fix it by pulling out a spear though, since male and female characters have the same spear animations.

I thought I was the only person in the world who cares about this! :sweatdrop: It's so bad and it really shows how they made the default male animations and just rotated in the arms and legs for the female animations.

https://i.imgur.com/pIIiJvZ.mp4

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

MMF Freeway posted:

Definitely not. Multiplayer wise we do know that there will be dedicated servers, password matching and an increased max player count.

Can we just clarify that "dedicated servers" means that the messages, ghosts and matching of players will be handled by a dedicated server. Actual multiplayer gameplay when you enter another player's world will still be a P2P lagfest

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

I thought I was the only person in the world who cares about this! :sweatdrop: It's so bad and it really shows how they made the default male animations and just rotated in the arms and legs for the female animations.

Unfortunately they didn't fix it, you can see it happening in the gameplay video in the OP. :sigh:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Digirat posted:

Without ever seeking out pvp I’ve run into more blatant cheaters than I’ve seen in any other game, including one who used hacks to kill an NPC in my brother’s world while I was cooping with him (good loving thing I was around to buy and give him what he wanted from that NPC in my game). That hacker in fact was widely known for actually ruining saves if he invaded in anor londo. It’s loving bad.

DS3 is actively worse than DS1 in this regard, since there is no escape from a certain technique and it cannot be fixed after the fact (EDIT: without risking a softban anyway).

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 1, 2018

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

feelix posted:

Can we just clarify that "dedicated servers" means that the messages, ghosts and matching of players will be handled by a dedicated server. Actual multiplayer gameplay when you enter another player's world will still be a P2P lagfest

Yeah I mean that goes without saying since this is a souls game after all :v:

Having tried to connect with friends on the original DS this is still a big improvement imo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

Maybe they will have dedicated servers for PvP. You know, one placed in Japan and one placed in "the rest of the world" :downs:

CJacobs posted:

Unfortunately they didn't fix it, you can see it happening in the gameplay video in the OP. :sigh:
Yeah I wasn't really expecting a fix :( I'm sure there are dozens of us who are annoyed at this. DOZENS!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Your Computer posted:

Also I hope some of the changes help with the twinking, because one of my biggest issues with DS1 is how many people are invading in the Burg with maxed out everything. There's no better way to make a new player put down the game.

Counterpoint: The only reason I'm getting the remaster is for day 1 lvl 1 pyro red orb playthrough so day 2 can be themed burg invasions all day.

The master of thieves (black thief set, chaos dagger +10) awaits in front of Capra door.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

OxMan posted:

Counterpoint: The only reason I'm getting the remaster is for day 1 lvl 1 pyro red orb playthrough so day 2 can be themed burg invasions all day.

The master of thieves (black thief set, chaos dagger +10) awaits in front of Capra door.

Chaos weapons only goto +5 in og DS you freakin casul

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Not only that, but you won't be able to outlevel your targets' weapons anyway.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

MMF Freeway posted:

Chaos weapons only goto +5 in og DS you freakin casul

Oh yeah oops lol

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was looking through my dark souls folder and found this, I think it might belong in this thread

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Also missing from the first post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OZU3fi08-o
With gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBfv3cYJBEY

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me
I'm gonna buy this game for the third time and my first run will be a zweihander + backflip murder hobo (the best class)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Kind of off topic but just throwing it out there: could the solaire amiibo imply the inclusion of solaire in ssb5?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Kind of off topic but just throwing it out there: could the solaire amiibo imply the inclusion of solaire in ssb5?

I feel like there'd need to be an in-universe reason for him to be there. Which I'm sure will be explained, as is everything, through an eight-part series of three-hour youtube videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I hope not because Solaire is really overrated

:getin: