Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Unmature posted:

You heard him, guys, the billion dollar movies aren't good enough for him. Back to the drawing board, Marvel.

This is the worst post in the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yea, if there’s one thing you can say about the modern world it’s that it’s not insanely polarized and devoted to dividing itself into warring factions over literally anything.

If there's one thing you can't say about the modern world it's that the government has tried to nuke New York in response to alien invasion led by the literal Norse god Loki who are after the secret Nazis' magic rock

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CheesyDog posted:

If there's one thing you can't say about the modern world it's that the government has tried to nuke New York in response to alien invasion led by the literal Norse god Loki who are after the secret Nazis' magic rock
that you know of

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Like yeah it's an odd situation but as far as the average bystander in these movies is concerned they've ended up in a cartoon hellworld of existential peril

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

Burress literally opens the video with "I guess this guy is a war criminal now." People would absolutely care that a massive public figure was suddenly labeled an enemy of the state. You completely ignored my metaphor: Imagine if a class opened with a video of Edward Snowden. Especially if these were children or teenagers, who have parents who can do the complaining for them, there is a 100% chance there would be outrage over it.

Consider that, almost seventeen years later, people are still talking about 9/11.

I don't even know how to respond to this dumbass garbage. I can't criticize the movies because they spent a lot of money on them? What?

https://youtu.be/xkQaIZRKljI

By literally, you mean figuratively, since it is literally as far from the beginning as you can get.

That said, congrats about missing the joke. The joke is about institutional inertia, that the government set up this fitness program with public icon Captain America and that even after he has fallen from grace, to the point that he is an enemy of the state, they still show the videos because everyone wants to be the guy with the great idea, no one wants to go back and do upkeep.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LividLiquid posted:

You are easily the thirtieth person to point this out, and I just have to say a few things: first, be better than CinemaSins. Second, have you considered that he only killed the sentient life? And third, Thanos isn't doing the best plan that anybody could ever come up with because he isn't interested in the best plan. He had a plan to save his planet and they didn't do it and his planet burned. He doesn't want to save everybody. He's re-living his trauma, over and over, to prove that it would've worked. And he keeps being proven "right," on smaller planets, so gently caress it. We're doing the whole universe and then I'll be the rightest person of all.

If he’s only killing sentient life, why doesn’t he say that? Hasn’t Thanos seen like a single Wishmaster movie?

But more to the point: preserving nonsentient life means that those species will still be consuming all the resources. A planet that’s exclusively beset by rapacious cane toads is going to be hosed - and what if the sentient life on a planet is working to prevent takeover by some nonsentient robotic army? The robots win now, and can consume with impunity.

Half the human biomass on Earth is roughly 250 million tons, according to a cursory google. That’s a lot of dust to pump into the atmosphere. If a planet has a high enough population, the snap would cause an extinction-level event. Same deal on a planet where the sentient species are endangered - the snap would put them beneath the threshold for genetic diversity.

What about sentient species that are insanely large, like the ‘celestials’? It seems foolish to treat Ego The Living Planet the same as Rocket Racoon.

There are like a billion movies about ‘trauma’ that don’t have these problems. Watch Upstream Color or something.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 15, 2018

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
"Thano"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CheesyDog posted:

Like yeah it's an odd situation but as far as the average bystander in these movies is concerned they've ended up in a cartoon hellworld of existential peril

It’s a hellworld of existential peril but the fact that the Earth’s greatest protectors are at war with one another is so inconsequential that it’s only brought up to serve as a throwaway joke.

Everything is simultaneously earth shattering but not really a big deal to the normal folks.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lol that thinking children and teenagers would know or care enough about Snowden to whine to their parents about it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I’m referring to the lead Thanos, not all the other Thanos.

That’s another issue: Thanos has followers. People agree with him.

That sort of contradicts the whole “he’s just totally insane and random” thing.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 15, 2018

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Away all Goats posted:

lol that thinking children and teenagers would know or care enough about Snowden to whine to their parents about it.

Parents whining about the things they’re kids are being taught or shown in school is a tradition as old as school.

Caros posted:

By literally, you mean figuratively, since it is literally as far from the beginning as you can get.

That said, congrats about missing the joke. The joke is about institutional inertia, that the government set up this fitness program with public icon Captain America and that even after he has fallen from grace, to the point that he is an enemy of the state, they still show the videos because everyone wants to be the guy with the great idea, no one wants to go back and do upkeep.

You’re missing his point, which is that the only reference to this supposedly consequential climactic event in Civil War, across all of the movies that followed, is a throwaway joke that makes light of it. He’s not saying it’s not a joke, or not a funny joke, he’s saying it’s weird that something supposedly so important is barely referenced except in a joke.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Not only is Thanos stupid in this film, what was he doing hiring Loki to take over Earth in Avengers 1? Have people already forgotten about that?

He wanted the Tesseract. Loki offered to get it for him. In exchange Loki wanted to take over Earth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CheesyDog posted:

And you say these movies aren't realistic.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Jones and David Koresh had followers.

As did you-know-who.

And Voldemort.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You’re missing his point, which is that the only reference to this supposedly consequential climactic event in Civil War, across all of the movies that followed, is a throwaway joke that makes light of it. He’s not saying it’s not a joke, or not a funny joke, he’s saying it’s weird that something supposedly so important is barely referenced except in a joke.

It's not important to Coach Buress, nor is it important to the PE Class of Midtown High.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I’m referring to the lead Thano, not all the other Thanos.

That’s another issue: Thano has followers. People agree with him.

You know exactly who the loving president of the united states is right now.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Parents whining about the things they’re kids are being taught or shown in school is a tradition as old as school.

I think it's a fair point that it should have gotten more than a glancing reference in Homecoming, but it wouldn't have really fit as a significant plot point in any of the other films released in between Civil War and Infinity War. Ant-Man and the Wasp will probably deal with it more, at least if the first trailer is representative.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

On the other hand, everyone serving him was taken by him as a child and raised for that purpose so it doesn't actually say anything about his ability to attract followers

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

As is the case with many world events, the average person, like Coach Hannibal, probably only has a vague notion of the details of Cap's war crimes. Hell, Spider-Man was there fighting him and he didn't totally seem to know what the fight was about.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hell, when he asks Gamora about how bad her world was before he showed up, she answers and doesn't try to refute his point with a simple "but now it's worse than ever" line. Instead she appears to have no rebuttal, which either means she's indoctrinated even now, or that Thanos' methods are effective. Either option is troubling.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

aBagorn posted:

He wanted the Tesseract. Loki offered to get it for him. In exchange Loki wanted to take over Earth.

he also gave Loki the only stone he had for free in order to help him get another, losing both in the process

yeah, that was a retcon, but it sure didn't help him come off as a competent villain

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

It's not important to Coach Buress, nor is it important to the PE Class of Midtown High.

It also wasn’t important to the makers of the other films or any of the other characters in them. That’s the point. It doesn’t matter at all, to anyone, seemingly.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I was really pleasantly surprised by just how well the movie actually worked. Credit to the Russos for actually pulling it off.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

aBagorn posted:

Thanos wanted the cube in Avengers 1 so that he could attempt to conquer ‘greater worlds than Earth.’ The dialogue in that film repeatedly emphasized that Thanos loves battle, and attacks planets for the challenge of it.

The entire post-credits thing is him grinning because he thinks he’s found a worthy adversary.

Gumball Gumption posted:

You know exactly who the loving president of the united states is right now.

It pains me to say it, but Trump is actually smarter.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It also wasn’t important to the makers of the other films or any of the other characters in them. That’s the point. It doesn’t matter at all, to anyone, seemingly.

Out of the other four films released in between CW and IW, do you really think this would have fit into Doctor Strange, GoTG2, Thor Ragnarok, or Black Panther?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Caros posted:

Thanks to your incredibly :goonsay: grammar correction, we've identified that the state is the one requiring these videos, and it's not something done by the gym coach or the school's administration. That just makes the joke even worse - painting the government as anything but vindictive and grudge-holding over people correctly identifying their wrongdoings.

This is still an extended distraction from my original point - the MCU actively avoids continuity because then it can't make cameos and quips.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I hate to agree with SMG about anything, but for better or worse, it's clear that the Russos, Markus, and McFeely weren't exactly beholden to what previous films had established about Thanos.

I think the result mostly works, but YMMV.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

What the hell was going on with that Dinklage performance.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Serf posted:

Hell, when he asks Gamora about how bad her world was before he showed up, she answers and doesn't try to refute his point with a simple "but now it's worse than ever" line. Instead she appears to have no rebuttal, which either means she's indoctrinated even now, or that Thanos' methods are effective. Either option is troubling.

Alternatively, that she elected not to make crazypants mcgee ramble even more.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

Thanks to your incredibly :goonsay: grammar correction, we've identified that the state is the one requiring these videos, and it's not something done by the gym coach or the school's administration. That just makes the joke even worse - painting the government as anything but vindictive and grudge-holding over people correctly identifying their wrongdoings.

This is still an extended distraction from my original point - the MCU actively avoids continuity because then it can't make cameos and quips.

The grammar correction was more to point out that you are angry with your recollection of the scene, rather than with how the scene played out. But no problem.

The video is an example of continuity. Captain America is an all American celebrity, a super war hero. Of course he is going to be used in educational films, and of course state governments aren't going to get off their assets and have the films removed just because he is now a war criminal, state legislatures are poo poo shows.

I'm not sure what you wanted. The adventures of captain America hunkering down in a cheap motel room for a couple of years aren't that important, and the fact thst the avengers are divided is the setup for a bunch of plot points in this film.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

What do you mean

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It was goodish? Like not the best I’ve ever seen, but better than his stuff in Destiny.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Meinberg posted:

It was goodish? Like not the best I’ve ever seen, but better than his stuff in Destiny.

The wizard got hit with a moon!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Serf posted:

this is because thanos and the avengers both are obsessed with logic and facts. gamora's planet has been weighed by whatever metrics thanos cares about (prosperity? happiness? another missing detail), and it has been decided the planet is better off now. it doesn't matter that there are a zillion other ways to help people with overcrowding that don't need genocide: the situation is improved, thanos' plan is Rational, and without a way to disprove him the avengers are left with nothing to oppose.

but of course, the avengers realize, deep down, that thanos is against them. they have to oppose him, and they do so by recontextualizing him from the ben shapiro-esque inter-space troll he is to an arbiter of pure evil. this proves to be their downfall, as it leads gamora not to take him seriously when push comes to shove-off-a-cliff, and it leads quill to interrupt the closest brush with victory with some good versus evil diatribe that thanos completely doesn't care about. if any character had recognized how pathetic thanos is at his core, they could have come up with a plan that didn't totally validate his victim complex

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

Out of the other four films released in between CW and IW, do you really think this would have fit into Doctor Strange, GoTG2, Thor Ragnarok, or Black Panther?

They aren’t found footage films. The content of the individual movies and the movies that were produced at that time were all choices made by people, and they made a bunch of choices that lead to Civil War being completely inconsequential. It was basically an extended trailer for Black Panther and Spider-Man.

But yea, Spider-Man, starring Tony Stark, or Black Panther set in Wakanda where Bucky and Steve are hiding out, could have done something with it. And Infinity War could have done something more than, “hey, look, Cap’s back and Bucky is apparently all better now.”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean, what could they have done that would've been different if you imagined it?

It's just not that interesting of a story for a sub plot. A whole film? Yeah, it could be kind of cool. But not a little cut away during Spider-Man or not Black Panther. I mean, I'm not too hot on BP, but the last thing I wanted was to be away from Wakanda. That place is rad and I'm glad the film didn't do a Thor thing where it keeps cutting away to the least interesting place.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What do you mean

Maybe it was just me but it sounded like he was doing a really bad forced deep voice. Obviously just a dumb nitpick but it was honestly a bit distracting, for a second I thought it was going to be an extension of the Thor / Starlord joke, like he was trying to sound intimidating or something.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Venuz Patrol posted:

this is because thanos and the avengers both are obsessed with logic and facts. gamora's planet has been weighed by whatever metrics thanos cares about (prosperity? happiness? another missing detail), and it has been decided the planet is better off now. it doesn't matter that there are a zillion other ways to help people with overcrowding that don't need genocide: the situation is improved, thanos' plan is Rational, and without a way to disprove him the avengers are left with nothing to oppose.

but of course, the avengers realize, deep down, that thanos is against them. they have to oppose him, and they do so by recontextualizing him from the ben shapiro-esque inter-space troll he is to an arbiter of pure evil. this proves to be their downfall, as it leads gamora not to take him seriously when push comes to shove-off-a-cliff, and it leads quill to interrupt the closest brush with victory with some good versus evil diatribe that thanos completely doesn't care about. if any character had recognized how pathetic thanos is at his core, they could have come up with a plan that didn't totally validate his victim complex

Now see this is interesting.

It is kinda funny now that neither Gamora nor Nebula ever brings up the idea of infinite plenty to Thanos as an alternative to genocide. It just means that literally every person surrounding Thanos was just as dumb as him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LeJackal posted:

Sorry, but the best exchange was:

Dr. Strange: "What Master do you serve?!?!?!"

Starlord: "How am I supposed to even answer that? Jesus?"

Though I also appreciate

Peter: "Hi I'm Peter."

Dr. Strange: "Dr. Strange."

Peter: "Oh... We're using the made-up names......then I'm Spider-Man."

I really like that Dr. Strange has leaned in hard on being overly theatrical and wizard-y.

I liked that Dr Strange actually is his name.

It would be like if peter parkers real name was Simon P. Eidermann.