Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Duke Chin posted:

So... yeah... thems Proud Boys ain't too proud.

or smart

or strong

https://twitter.com/AshAgony/status/991560502810640385

No one has ever looked tough or threatening while wearing transitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Arcella posted:

No one has ever looked tough or threatening while wearing transitions.

excellent choice in bookshelf, and companions

More Zuckfuel for the bonfire
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/05/mark-zuckerberg-doesnt-understand-journalism/559424/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

In non-Trumpian news, the number of insect borne diseases in the US nearly quadrupled from 2004-2016.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/01/health/ticks-mosquitoes-diseases.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Use your bootstrap as a fly swatted. Next problem please.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

In non-Trumpian news, the number of insect borne diseases in the US nearly quadrupled from 2004-2016.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/01/health/ticks-mosquitoes-diseases.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Oh hey, all the climate/wildlife stuff my wife learned about years ago while getting her masters is coming to pass!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

psydude posted:

I teach microbiology and just had one of our last lectures this semester on arthropod-borne diseases. I think I stated exactly "Whether or not you believe in climate change no longer matters as 'tropical' diseases are now infecting / killing people on continental US soil at greater and greater rates. You can argue about weather but you can't argue bodycounts."

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

There’s two ponds at both ends of the street here and last year loving sucked for mosquitos. I imagine the balmy rear end winter we had means it’ll probably be 100x worse this year.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Just tell Trump that these illegal immigrants are smuggling themselves into our country through imported plant matter/mulch and dirt, and are infecting good, honest, blue collar Americans with their laziness, foreign ways, and lyme disease. Problem will be solved by lunchtime.

In seriousness, for those that have studied it, how much of it this spike is climate change leading to the critters having a greater range where they can live, and how much of it is invasive species? I know we're having all sorts of issues on the aquaculture side with invasive fish, and see a decent amount about new parasite species or crop pests making it over, which of those is having the greater effect?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mods change my name posted:

sorry it will be Burger King unless the contract with AAFES changes

Newly emancipated by capitalism, a single former peon is given the monumental task of Crossing out all the Rs in the DPRK

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

I really miss our nuclear cruisers.

I had my fill of 'em, thanks.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

lightpole posted:

For the second, you are assuming that the military is the only place that those future technologies will come into being and that the private sector is unable or unwilling to do so. The question is if the redirection of dollars to the military actually is the best way to do this instead of increasing research funding at public universities or in the private sector.

That's an interesting way to put it, considering military research is mostly done AT universities or private companies, under .gov contract. This model works pretty well, since until there's an identifiable commercial benefit, the private sector will rarely make large investments (I don't know if this predates the model or not) and universities have had shrinking budgets for anything except sports and administration salaries for several decades now.

Third World Reggin posted:

Wait, they named the barge Floating Chernobyl, but that name has been taken by the USS enterprise for years

It has 8 reactors and was designed as a gently caress you to congressmen

Mobile Chernobyl, and Enterprise had 8 reactors. :rip:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

threelemmings posted:

Just tell Trump that these illegal immigrants are smuggling themselves into our country through imported plant matter/mulch and dirt, and are infecting good, honest, blue collar Americans with their laziness, foreign ways, and lyme disease. Problem will be solved by lunchtime.

In seriousness, for those that have studied it, how much of it this spike is climate change leading to the critters having a greater range where they can live, and how much of it is invasive species? I know we're having all sorts of issues on the aquaculture side with invasive fish, and see a decent amount about new parasite species or crop pests making it over, which of those is having the greater effect?

Bit of a 3 way problem. Some diseases have hopped vectors, ie being passed by new insect species thereby extending their range. Others are just range / habitat expansion of the normal vector, ie Aedes aegyptii mosquitos growing further north and south from the equator than before. Stuff like Lyme is carried on native species not invasive ones so if you have longer warmer seasons you get more ixodes ticks and white footed mice that spread the disease.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Godholio posted:

That's an interesting way to put it, considering military research is mostly done AT universities or private companies, under .gov contract. This model works pretty well, since until there's an identifiable commercial benefit, the private sector will rarely make large investments (I don't know if this predates the model or not) and universities have had shrinking budgets for anything except sports and administration salaries for several decades now.

Mobile Chernobyl, and Enterprise had 8 reactors. :rip:

If that's the case just cutting out the middle man and sending money straight to the universities instead of routing it through the military may be more efficient. The government can create incentives to move research in a direction if they want. The question is if military research is efficiently finding technology gains that translate to the private sector. The private sector is not currently asked to fight two simultaneous wars and do whatever else as well. I really have little thought in this except for a half remembered economist article from awhile back so please correct me.

Was just rather surprised at some of the conclusions being reached such as free trade increasing wealth disparity and unrest and then being a bad thing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

That Works posted:

Bit of a 3 way problem. Some diseases have hopped vectors, ie being passed by new insect species thereby extending their range. Others are just range / habitat expansion of the normal vector, ie Aedes aegyptii mosquitos growing further north and south from the equator than before. Stuff like Lyme is carried on native species not invasive ones so if you have longer warmer seasons you get more ixodes ticks and white footed mice that spread the disease.

Donald Trump does not know what any of this poo poo means.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

lightpole posted:

Was just rather surprised at some of the conclusions being reached such as free trade increasing wealth disparity and unrest and then being a bad thing.

Who said that?

Wealth disparity is not inherently linked to free trade. It can be exploited for that purpose but it’s not necessarily baked in.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Free trade drives costs, and therefore prices down, making profit margins smaller. Smaller margins means labor costs are kept as low as possible.

I am not an economist so this might be way off base. Sounds like I’m describing an issue with capitalism and not free trade though. I’m also kind of high rn.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

lightpole posted:

If that's the case just cutting out the middle man and sending money straight to the universities instead of routing it through the military may be more efficient. The government can create incentives to move research in a direction if they want. The question is if military research is efficiently finding technology gains that translate to the private sector. The private sector is not currently asked to fight two simultaneous wars and do whatever else as well. I really have little thought in this except for a half remembered economist article from awhile back so please correct me.

The military does it because advancing science and technology is a national security interest. Even NASA rides the .mil coattails. It's not so much a middleman as the military is the de facto research agency for the government. As far as finding gains that translate to the private sector...loving look around you. Basically everything you touch has benefited directly or indirectly from military research and development. From microprocessors that power everything now to the logistics train that puts it on your doorstep. The interstates are a military project ffs.

lightpole posted:

My only point was that trade doesn't prevent wars.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Free trade is a far bigger benefit to capital than labor.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Godholio posted:

The military does it because advancing science and technology is a national security interest. Even NASA rides the .mil coattails. It's not so much a middleman as the military is the de facto research agency for the government. As far as finding gains that translate to the private sector...loving look around you. Basically everything you touch has benefited directly or indirectly from military research and development. From microprocessors that power everything now to the logistics train that puts it on your doorstep. The interstates are a military project ffs.

My only point was that trade doesn't prevent wars.

I'm not saying nothing is found, I'm wondering if the cost is worth it or if that's the only way for these advances to occur. Probably as engaged as I can get due to a negotiation midterm though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Of course military related research is less efficient than purely funding scientific or engineering research. But you get the military stuff as well, making it more palatable politically to fund.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Boy Scouts of America are dropping “Boy” from the title; white men freak out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

. But you get the military stuff as well, making it more palatable politically to fund.

This is sad but true

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You remember that goon that won a NASCAR race last weekend? He just got suspended for pissing hot lol

"Spencer Gallagher has been suspended indefinitely from NASCAR for violating the sanctioning body's substance abuse policy."

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

holocaust bloopers posted:

Boy Scouts of America are dropping “Boy” from the title; white men freak out.

I mean, the new name is 'Scouts BSA'. Kind of a contradiction to have your group named 'Scouts Boy Scouts of America'.

They'd be better off with changing the name to just 'Scouts of America'.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Who said that?

Wealth disparity is not inherently linked to free trade. It can be exploited for that purpose but it’s not necessarily baked in.

Any trade agreements with North Korea would probably come with human rights requirements built in. It's obviously not going to transform the country into Uruguay, but I'd imagine it would be an improvement over what they have going on right now. And given that wealth inequality in NK is already astronomical, I think it's somewhat of a minor concern relative to the massive amounts of starvation and imprisonment that the average person there faces.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The overall name is still Boy Scouts of America. They’re changing the name of one of their programs, the program generally aligned with older kids.

Some dudes are pissed.

The Girl Scouts are super pissed and vocal about it, saying that the BSA is already dealing with financial mismanagement and sexual abuse problems and that adding girls will only worsen the issues.

Girl Scouts have long advocated single-gender environments, even if the BSA didn’t have any scandals.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

mlmp08 posted:

The overall name is still Facebook. They’re changing the name of one of their inherent services, the service generally aligned with older kids.

Some dudes are pissed.

Okcupid and Tinder are super pissed and vocal about it, saying that Facebook is already dealing with privacy mismanagement and sexual abuse problems and that adding additional services will only worsen the issues.

OkCupid and Tinder have long advocated single-service environments, even if Facebook didn’t have any privacy scandals.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
:golfclap:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Happy May day!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVOJIaYrLok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LTYeVCPLQw

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

You remember that goon that won a NASCAR race last weekend? He just got suspended for pissing hot lol

"Spencer Gallagher has been suspended indefinitely from NASCAR for violating the sanctioning body's substance abuse policy."

why the gently caress does nascar care

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

The overall name is still Boy Scouts of America. They’re changing the name of one of their programs, the program generally aligned with older kids.

Some dudes are pissed.

The Girl Scouts are super pissed and vocal about it, saying that the BSA is already dealing with financial mismanagement and sexual abuse problems and that adding girls will only worsen the issues.

Girl Scouts have long advocated single-gender environments, even if the BSA didn’t have any scandals.

Yeah I’ve been in and around scouting forever. Married another scout. I’ve personally known people affected by sex scandals.

It’s men.

Men ruin everything to do with kids.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Stimulants seem like they’d be a pretty big problem.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Wasn't it like Nascar farm league type deal? The real race was the next day

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Substance abuse policy seems more like he pissed hot for something.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

C-130 just crashed in Savannah near my friends work

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Elmnt80 posted:

Substance abuse policy seems more like he pissed hot for something.

What substance could possibly give you a edge in driving a car fast? Crystal meth?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BigDave posted:

What substance could possibly give you a edge in driving a car fast? Crystal meth?

Speed

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It says nothing about him popping hot for performance enchancing drugs. Just that he violated the substance abuse policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
NASCAR drivers, like football players, baseball players, and food assistance recipients, are high-profile role models and need to be verifiably drug-free.

For the children.

COME AND GET IT

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 2, 2018

• Locked thread