Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so he was on 50% of the votes needed and then claims, with three hours to go

mmhmm

and people are trying to misrepresent him as having five votes at that point, thus being under more pressure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Interlude
Although I've already made my case for Bowmore and am ending up with my vote there. I need to explain why I think Max is also probably scum.

This is not to say I don't still feel ways about Moat who has contributed very little while seemingly staying involved. They've been less present today though so I want to spend my time looking at Bowmore and Max who've stuck their necks out a bit more.

Also Pod is the only other person feeling the Moat vote at the moment, and he's not entirely clear of suspicion either.

Usually when people start agreeing with me remotely about anything, I start layering the tinfoil, for now I'm just going to stay focused.

Also @everyone, it has recently come to my attention that I do post AA-ishly and am hard to understand. I apologize.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm calling a time out here:

Bowmore I feel like you are going out of your way to be an rear end in a top hat to me. I would really appreciate it you would stop. I'm doing exactly what Keane suggested which is to step away since clearly this game is getting to me. I've been dealing with Keane and Max and now you. I feel like I'm being pretty attacked right now. There is a difference between game attack and what I feel are attacks that are stepping over the line.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SalTheBard posted:

Bowmore I feel like you are going out of your way to be an rear end in a top hat to me. I would really appreciate it you would stop. I'm doing exactly what Keane suggested which is to step away since clearly this game is getting to me. I've been dealing with Keane and Max and now you. I feel like I'm being pretty attacked right now. There is a difference between game attack and what I feel are attacks that are stepping over the line.
yeah there haven't been any personal attacks

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

bowmore posted:

yeah there haven't been any personal attacks

bowmore posted:

love it when people take their ball and go home :jerkbag:

Taking a shot at me like this is pretty loving lovely especially since Keane is the one that told me to step away. That is what I mean. I said "Hey this is effecting me in a real way, I'm stepping away." and instead of respecting that you take a pot shot at me.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

if you truly are a town cop, stop digging the hole deeper

alternatively, if you are scum, please keep going

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
lets stick my neck out some more ##vote sal

i am reminded of another time sal claimed early under little pressure, he was scum (submarine game).

sorry sal, i think you're scum this game

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Max
Max has been present and is fairly experienced. In general I consider him a tougher read, but I feel like his doggedness up to this point is artificial.

Specifically regarding Sal:

Max posted:

Hmm, I forgot about Sal and BK entirely. I'd put them at even footing with Bow in that case.

Monathin checked in just before I did so I'm sitting and waiting there, and Keane I think did enough earlier that I wouldn't feel comfortable dunking him atm, plus I know he has a work schedule.

There is definitely more to Sal at the point this post was made. Not a significant amount more, but more actual game content and this is the first misrepresentation.

Max posted:

Right now I'd vote AA -> Bow.

SalTheBard posted:

Why? I looked at Bow's history, there is nothing.

Max posted:

Oh hey you're back.

Because Bow did the thing I absolutely hate and checks in by saying "oh I missed nothing in the last x posts", makes a dumb joke, and then doesn't post again. I consider that active lurking vs. regular lurking.

Who would you vote for?

I get this explanation, but this type of behavioral excuse doesn't actually seem justifiable in this case given the type of interaction they had.

Now when they get to Sal, they are much more aggressive. I find it strange that a player with more actual game content falls under more scrutiny than bowmore in this instance:

SalTheBard posted:

Back? I've been posting all day since the game started? I mean some people do have to work and can't check the thread 24/7.

Honestly? I would say Pod (No offense Pod). I just feel like Pod is playing an aggressive game which is not the normal Pod game I'm used to.
Make an earnest opinion albeit one based on meta.

Max posted:

Why do you need AA's permission?

And no, I want to vote AA ahead of Bow because AA's reasoning for Moat makes no sense to me.

Oh and I'm voting Bow right now, hold on a sec.

##unvote
##vote AA

Granted Sal asking me about my preference on Max was a bit weird, Max is still only instigating, and this is the first point he actually makes it clear why he wants to vote me(and does)

The instigation doesn't stop!

Max posted:

Posting something of substance, not joking about raising your hand.

An unnecessary call out that only makes Sal look worse when he had actually been contributing.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SalTheBard posted:

Taking a shot at me like this is pretty loving lovely especially since Keane is the one that told me to step away. That is what I mean. I said "Hey this is effecting me in a real way, I'm stepping away." and instead of respecting that you take a pot shot at me.
I'm sorry if what I said upset you, you probably do need a time out

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

SalTheBard posted:

I think so too.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

bowmore posted:

I'm sorry if what I said upset you, you probably do need a time out

gently caress you seriously.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Text is hard to take tone from but that sounded so condescending.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My apology was meant to be sincere

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
time out was probably the wrong words to use

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It seems like the game is stressing you out so maybe take 5 minutes to chill or just take care of yourself, no point stressing over mafia

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

bowmore posted:

It seems like the game is stressing you out so maybe take 5 minutes to chill or just take care of yourself, no point stressing over mafia

Agreed.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Atomic Soda posted:

- cause yami is a new player, and it felt like a negative comment for an action i thought was a good one.
- i think he might have been fishing for cops, i thought this was the most obvious bit.
- maybe cause i think highly of pod, but also because it felt a little bit like a 'throw something to the wind and see if it sticks".
- i keep getting asked/cased about, plus these are my reasons. i have obviously picked up that you and others think they are rubbish, sorry.

This is basically just Atomic Soda yet again repeating opinions that have not evolved since they were originally expressed. There is no genuine suspicion here, no attempt to persuade anyone of anything. Just the same attempt to legitimize shallow.opinions through sheer repetition.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Atomic Soda posted:

lets stick my neck out some more ##vote sal

i am reminded of another time sal claimed early under little pressure, he was scum (submarine game).

sorry sal, i think you're scum this game

Just a casual bandwagon vote against a claimed cop.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I'm going to try something different and check out AS and give Sal a break for a bit:

The Ninth Layer posted:

I find these comments suspect for several reasons.

AS simultaneously acknowledges Podima's defense of her accusations but then repeats those accusations to anotherr without any sign of taking Podima's defense to account.

When challenged to explain why Atomic Soda's accusations speak at all to alignment, AS instead simply repeats them verbatim, as if unwilling or unable to explore them further.

AS offers two very disposable, unexplained reads of others here and ends the statement disparaging Asiina's vote and implying Asiina needs to post opinions of others. It is as if Atomic Sofa offered up these quick opinions solely to accuse Asiina of not having done the same.

In re-reading AS's posts, I don't see a evolving reads as much as I see flitting about from one target to another with little explanation. To TNL's point, when challenged there's not much in the way of defense- defends the first post of Pod's she had issue with as a "good idea" but "negatively phrased" and the second as "giving advice but maybe rolefishing?" States I'm suspicious but provides no supporting documentation at the time. Request more reads from Asiina but hasn't provided much of her own? Gets back to suspicion of me as "doesn't think it was a good post." Then votes Sal with the argument "claimed early before," which I can't recall specifically as I was already dead in the game she mentions at that point, but the vote itself strikes me as jumping on the wagon.

In summary I like TNL's case. I think you're looking for a free ride through D1 and I don't want to give it to you just yet. Let's see what happens. ##vote Atomic Soda

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

The Ninth Layer posted:

This is basically just Atomic Soda yet again repeating opinions that have not evolved since they were originally expressed. There is no genuine suspicion here, no attempt to persuade anyone of anything. Just the same attempt to legitimize shallow.opinions through sheer repetition.

no they haven't evolved, they are the same reasons i had when i first voted. i have since unvoted. did you want me to make up reasons/arguments? it is interesting you talk about sheer repetition when that is what i am getting from you.

i'm sorry you think my opinions are shallow, you have obviously made your mind up.

why do you think i voted sal tnl, think hard.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

##unvote

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Atomic Soda posted:

no they haven't evolved, they are the same reasons i had when i first voted. i have since unvoted. did you want me to make up reasons/arguments? it is interesting you talk about sheer repetition when that is what i am getting from you.

i'm sorry you think my opinions are shallow, you have obviously made your mind up.

why do you think i voted sal tnl, think hard.

"I wanted you to express genuine interest in catching the killer among us." Or any adjustment of opinion since the start of the game.

Regarding the last sentence I feel my eyes begin to roll. What would be the logic behind Atomic Soda, as a cop, drawing attention to an otherwise unnoticed Podima post as an attempt to rolefish? Why would any cop want to initiate this conversation? If this is what AS is implying, it is somewhat dizzying.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

We have about ninety minutes until the deadline.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Voting Sal now is foolish. If Sal is scum, we will end up with a rock solid case on him very shortly. If Sal isn't, the worst case is that we force the scum to manage him.

I'm thinking.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

The Ninth Layer posted:

"I wanted you to express genuine interest in catching the killer among us." Or any adjustment of opinion since the start of the game.

Regarding the last sentence I feel my eyes begin to roll. What would be the logic behind Atomic Soda, as a cop, drawing attention to an otherwise unnoticed Podima post as an attempt to rolefish? Why would any cop want to initiate this conversation? If this is what AS is implying, it is somewhat dizzying.

can i ask you genuinely how you expect me to respond to this? and your constant repetition of the same question has let me move on how?

i very much regret saying anything about pod despite my suspicions, a spectacularly failed attempt to post more reads earlier. i actually regret being in this game at all atm haha but whatever. you ask for 'any adjustment of opinion since the start of the game', thanks for that. my opinion has adjusted on pod hence the unvote. you seem to really want me to go over and over the same ground again.

this whole post exists to call me stupid, and while that might be the case, it's still not very nice. i'm town but please feel free to kill me, you'll probably be better off without my posting.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

However, I will survive this tragedy of having lost my casework and begin anew, stronger, and more confident.

Ahem~!

In short:
I think Max and Bowmore look the worst in the persecution of Sal, whom I believe is town. They also claimed cop.

Bowmore
I get catching up, but I feel like Bowmore's posting accomplishes one thing...

Furthering to condemn a player who already had an established case on them, albeit not one I agree with.

This is a strange interaction.

I imagine absentee Bowmore had been prodded by Max.

Bowmore comes to the thread with the same zeal they've had all game, a negligible amount.

The Bowmore's next post in this game a minute later is him weighing in on Sal, and then using a meta-explanation of Asiina's play and behavior to justify him thinking Sal might be scum.

However those posts, while bad, aren't what really set me off about Bowmore...

It is this:

"he either dies tonight or is scum"

This type of binary misrepresentation of the night's outcome limits the actual possibilities of what could occur.

I don't like it because it creates a false-narrative based on not even setup speculation, just nothing.

##unvote ##vote bowmore

Setting the cop thing aside because i'm still processing, why are you spending this much effort drawing connections between max and bowmore on the premise that max is scum... and then voting bowmore?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Moatillata posted:

How excited were you to be the cop Sal?

Is that why you're so mad rn?

I think we should vote pod bc he omgused me and he should know better

Just gonna point out here that moat has not actually addressed my concerns at all and continues to make snipey comments.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BottleKnight posted:

I agree with this case entirely. Specifically, the motive behind hearing a defense and then not engaging with it at all. I've grappled a lot with how much to take into account the defense of someone who I think is scum but it mega depends on context and I think responding to "this is what i genuinely think in mafia in general" with "i'm not claiming this is some air tight slam dunk" reads a lot to me as a scum thinking "well, i already went out on my ledge for today targeting a townie, i can't waste the social capital to do it again so i'm just gonna stick with it."

this is the place where my vote would be but i want to fully catch up first.

as a final thought here, atomic soda, yami and I have an unconfirmed masonry. I really don't give much of a poo poo about unconfirmed masonries (especially in an eccogame!!!!) because they gently caress with your head and idk i dont want to share secrets and chat much with people whose alignment might not be town. too much wifom.

Hmmmmm on both counts, but also masonries are awesome and it's sad that you don't appreciate them!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Podima posted:

Hmmmmm on both counts, but also masonries are awesome and it's sad that you don't appreciate them!

I prefer carpentry, myself.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Ninth Layer posted:

"I viewed this statement as very defensive." Rather than defend or expound on her case on Podima, AS rattles the three same talking points to shut Asiina down and attempts some table turning.

The repetition I find especially telling, and it is a tactic I have employed; when asked to elaborate on a falsehood simply repeat it again and again until they stop asking.

I see your point from a purely logical perspective, but I'd also point out that you're hammering this talking point quite a bit as well! My gut tells me that AS put pressure on me in a way I consistently get pressured on in early game before I really start firing on all cylinders, and that's not inherently scummy. I'll keep my eye on it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Podima posted:

Just gonna point out here that moat has not actually addressed my concerns at all and continues to make snipey comments.

I think I kind of want to punt and vote moat, maybe.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bowmore posted:

so he was on 50% of the votes needed and then claims, with three hours to go

mmhmm

and people are trying to misrepresent him as having five votes at that point, thus being under more pressure

Please name names, who are these scummy people spreading FAKE INFORMATION if you feel that's dire enough to call out.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Lot of drama in this thread. Are we all not hardened assassins seeking to root out the treacherous interlopers!

Let us remember patience and civility.

Podima posted:

Setting the cop thing aside because i'm still processing, why are you spending this much effort drawing connections between max and bowmore on the premise that max is scum... and then voting bowmore?

Because while Max is probably cautious scum, bowmore looks more like obvious scum. That whole either/or scenario really does it for me given that they were basically a nonentity ITT at that point in time.

Also less support. Same reason why I moved off moat.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

"Why are you still trying to convince me of anything? As you said, I have made up my mind. I am playing to the audience now and have been for a while."

I wonder whether I should feel guilty simply for doing my job as a guilded contract killer. Assassination is never personal for me, but it is easy for me to say on my end of the blade. Yet I dare not let doubt creep into the steadiness of my grip. When all is said and done I will accept judgment, but not before.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

I think I kind of want to punt and vote moat, maybe.

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Also less support. Same reason why I moved off moat.

Gentlemen, we are a force united. The power lies in your hands.

Anyways we've got a hour and a bit till deadline, now that the immediate stuff is addressed I'm going to go back and continue my deep reread from where I left off.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Podima posted:

I had noticed this too, and frankly little else of what Moat has posted up until now.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

For what it's worth I have reason to believe our guild was hired around the premise of investigation results and how they might be changed or altered. This is why I was suspicious of AS claiming Podima's advice was rolefishing rather that prudent advice, but it also leads me to believe there could easily be several investigators in this guild.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

At this stage my other thoughts have cooled as such, that I do not think I can argue in good faith for the suspicions. Sal's claim will drat his one way or another, voting for him is a fool's errand.

I would prefer to vote Bowmore, for his current string of posting, but I suppose I feel more reasonable about Moat - though I retain my suspicions that not everyone who had been on board for Moat had the Guild's best interests at heart.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

For what it's worth I have reason to believe our guild was hired around the premise of investigation results and how they might be changed or altered. This is why I was suspicious of AS claiming Podima's advice was rolefishing rather that prudent advice, but it also leads me to believe there could easily be several investigators in this guild.

I think it's probably sensible to think things through fully, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I think bowmore is best vote. Would vote moat tmrw if he doesn't return.

I'm probably out for remainder of night. Ciao.

• Locked thread