Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Internet Kraken posted:

(because blizzard just recycled a Pandaren model for her apparently).

Oh god I need a source on this haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Nobody in Overwatch is ugly. Everyone has a design meant to cater to a specific demographic in terms of their physical appearance. At least that's how I felt looking at the base cast. Dunno if Blizzard added more unconventional characters in terms of appearance down the line but I doubt it. This is the company felt the need to make the mutated master of evil space bugs sexy.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Oh god I need a source on this haha

I really don't know if its true, its one of those things I just heard repeated often enough that I just assume it as fact. Its funny enough that I want it to be true at least.

EDIT: I gave Blizzard credit for making Ana an old lady and then took that credit away when she had a skin that made her a conventionally attractive young woman like every other character.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 3, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

So we’ve proven that male characters are allowed to be chubby and still be sympathetic, what about female characters?

persona 2 had miyabi hanakouji, who's end to her subplot was the guy she likes freaking out because she hurt herself to make herself look more appealing for him and he just wanted her to be happy

and then uh, several years later persona 4 had a selfish ugly fat comic relief girl

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 3, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Colonel posted:

persona 2 had miyabi hanakouji

and then uh, several years later persona 4 had a selfish ugly fat comic relief girl

Lala-chan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n-Mmnk60fw

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Reminder that video games turned shelob, the spider monster from lord of the rings, into a sexy dark-elf looking babe because of loving course

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Today I went to Goodwill and saw a copy of Spore for $12. Then I went to a volunteer bookstore and bought a Joe Dever's Lone Wolf book and a copy of Siddhartha. Semper games and namaste.

Dewgy posted:

These fools know nothing about character design!

There. I fixed it.
drat, fix female characters would be good photoshop thread.

oddium posted:

hello onion games, for whom the chulip/little king's story guy works, and also who are the devs of the smash mobile hit Million Onion Hotel and the also good game Dandy Dungeon, are making a game for the Switch and pc called Black Bird. thank you for your time
Fantasy Zone meets Zombie Nation (NES game where you play as the severed samurai head)?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Reminder that video games turned shelob, the spider monster from lord of the rings, into a sexy dark-elf looking babe because of loving course

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Who was the big lady from Borderlands 2? She was definitely not typical

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Nobody in Overwatch is ugly. Everyone has a design meant to cater to a specific demographic in terms of their physical appearance. At least that's how I felt looking at the base cast. Dunno if Blizzard added more unconventional characters in terms of appearance down the line but I doubt it. This is the company felt the need to make the mutated master of evil space bugs sexy.

I really don't know if its true, its one of those things I just heard repeated often enough that I just assume it as fact. Its funny enough that I want it to be true at least.

EDIT: I gave Blizzard credit for making Ana an old lady and then took that credit away when she had a skin that made her a conventionally attractive young woman like every other character.

You're very picky, but Moira is a type you don't see too often either. I'd love a legit porker of a woman in OW though. I'm sure they'll get there.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rune factory frontier has eunice who you can marry, the game gives you a choice whether to suggest she should go on a diet or not and if you don't, then she just. stays fat. for the rest of the game

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
word, same

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

Well they wanted her to have a more active role in the story but couldn't be animating a giant spider model everytime she showed up. It was just a practical choice, you have to realize their are limitations in the game design process.

...what's that? Why couldn't she be something other than a sexy elf? Well uh you see- here buy this lootbox.

mutata posted:

You're very picky, but Moira is a type you don't see too often either. I'd love a legit porker of a woman in OW though. I'm sure they'll get there.

I dunno who Moira is but I don't think I'm being very picky. Out of the base cast, the female characters all share almost the exact same body type excluding Mei. It looks pretty bad when you put them up against the male characters that run a pretty broad spectrum in terms of shape, height, and weight.

What I'm saying is, devs need to have the courage to make the lady equivalents of Junkrat and Roadhog.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 3, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The story they came up with for sexy shelob is dumb as poo poo anyways so

Don't play lotr video games imo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Moira is an otaku David Bowie and she is awesome

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

persona 2 had miyabi hanakouji, who's end to her subplot was the guy she likes freaking out because she hurt herself to make herself look more appealing for him and he just wanted her to be happy

On the other hand I think translators take comic relief characters as a personal challenge to give them the best dialog because I refuse to believe Margarita is half as interesting in the Japanese version.

Jay Rust posted:

So we’ve proven that male characters are allowed to be chubby and still be sympathetic, what about female characters?

We need female characters first.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
monolith in 2000: here's an fps about a spy lady having to deal with 60s workplace discrimination because of her coworkers thinking she's just a pretty face, entirely getting by on her skills as an agent

monolith in 2017: shelob manipulates people with her giant titty

al-azad posted:

On the other hand I think translators take comic relief characters as a personal challenge to give them the best dialog because I refuse to believe Margarita is half as interesting in the Japanese version.

tbh cold steel isn't a fair example because hatsuu is possibly the best editor in the business and her localization projects are kind of consistently better than the original writing. cold steel is like, in the running for the single best jrpg dub ever recorded, i don't think there are a lot of people in localization who are as in touch with the good parts of every individual character in a game as she is, and definitely none who keep a loving spreadsheet of every single minor npc in a 5+ game-long franchise

xseed in general is crazy and i think most editors there are in a similar running, for having an absurdly good sense for character writing and comedy. zwei 2 was totally different staff and that was also like, a ridiculously good localization

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 3, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I refuse to play the game but the interviews with the devs on the shelob stuff are so monumentally dumb and miss the point so spectacularly I almost wonder if the articles are just extremely elaborate trolls

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Shadow of War was fun but everything about the narrative, starting with the title, was incredibly dumb and only rarely gets to the point where it's so dumb that it's entertaining

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Shadow of War was fun but everything about the narrative, starting with the title, was incredibly dumb and only rarely gets to the point where it's so dumb that it's entertaining

It's extremely important that we meet Gollum in both games, I can't wait to see what he's up to next time!

The invisible heels :allears:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Here is how you manage those games. You zone out during the plot and then go back to creating stories you care about with all your orc friends.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the most badass thing about the editor for the trails series is the one time she just randomly went back and released a patch for trails in the sky on steam that polished a bunch of clunkier lines of totally random dialog. not for any particular reason, just cause she could

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Here is how you manage those games. You zone out during the plot and then go back to creating stories you care about with all your orc friends.

It was a podcast game for me.

Especially with the postgame grind that I knew was optional and especially doing it for that dumb-as-poo poo cutscene that I could have watched on YouTube was foolish in hindsight

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This isn't really relevant at all but I want everyone who hasn't read the silmarillion to learn about Shelob's cool-rear end spider mom

The Silmarillion posted:

There, beneath the sheer walls of the mountains and the cold dark sea, the shadows were deepest and thickest in the world; and there in Avathar, secret and unknown, Ungoliant had made her abode. The Eldar knew not whence she came; but some have said that in ages long before she descended from the darkness that lies about Arda, when Melkor first looked down in envy upon the Kingdom of Manwë, and that in the beginning she was one of those that he corrupted to his service. But she had disowned her Master, desiring to be mistress of her own lust, taking all things to herself to feed her emptiness; and she fled to the south, escaping the assaults of the Valar and the hunters of Oromë, for their vigilance had ever been to the north, and the south was long unheeded. Thence she had crept towards the light of the Blessed Realm; for she hungered for light and hated it.

In a ravine she lived, and took shape as a spider of monstrous form, weaving her black webs in a cleft of the mountains. There she sucked up all light that she could find, and spun it forth again in dark nets of strangling gloom, until no light more could come to her abode; and she was famished.

The Silmarillion posted:

A cloak of darkness she wove about them when Melkor and Ungoliant set forth; an Unlight, in which things seemed to be no more, and which eyes could not pierce, for it was void.

The Silmarillion posted:

Then the Unlight of Ungoliant rose up even to the roots of the Trees, and Melkor sprang upon the mound; and with his black spear he smote each Tree to its core, wounded them deep, and their sap poured forth as it were their blood, and was spilled upon the ground. But Ungoliant sucked it up, and going then from Tree to Tree she set her black beak to their wounds, till they were drained; and the poison of Death that was in her went into their tissues and withered them, root, branch, and leaf; and they died. And still she thirsted, and going to the Wells of Varda she drank them dry; but Ungoliant belched forth black vapours as she drank, and swelled to a shape so vast and hideous that Melkor was afraid.

The Silmarillion posted:

Together they went on, for Morgoth could not elude Ungoliant, and her cloud was still about him, and all her eyes were upon him; and they came to those lands that lay north of the Firth of Drengist. Now Morgoth was drawing near to the ruins of Angband, where his great western stronghold had been; and Ungoliant perceived his hope, and knew that here he would seek to escape from her, and she stayed him, demanding that he fulfil his promise.

'Blackheart!' she said. 'I have done thy bidding. But I hunger still.'

'What wouldst thou have more?' said Morgoth. 'Dost thou desire all the world for thy belly? I did not vow to give thee that. I am its Lord.'

'Not so much,' said Ungoliant. 'But thou hast a great treasure from Formenos; I will have all that. Yea, with both hands thou shalt give it'.

Then perforce Morgoth surrendered to her the gems that he bore with him, one by one and grudgingly; and she devoured them, and their beauty perished from the world. Huger and darker yet grew Ungoliant, but her lust was unsated. 'With one hand thou givest,' she said; 'with the left only. Open thy right hand.'

In his right hand Morgoth held close the Silmarils, and though they were locked in a crystal casket, they had begun to bum him, and his hand was clenched in pain; but he would not open it 'Nay!' he said. 'Thou hast had thy doe. For with my power that I put into thee thy work was accomplished. I need thee no more. These things thou shalt not have, nor see. I name them unto myself for ever. '

But Ungoliant had grown great, and he less by the power that had gone out of him; and she rose against him, and her cloud closed about him, and she enmeshed him in a web of clinging thongs to strangle him. Then Morgoth sent forth a terrible cry, that echoed in the mountains. Therefore that region was called Lammoth; for the echoes of his voice dwelt there ever after, so that any who cried aloud in that land awoke them, and all the waste between the hills and the sea was filled with a clamour as of voices in anguish. The cry of Morgoth in that hour was the greatest and most dreadful that was ever heard in the northern world; the mountains shook, and the earth trembled, and rocks were riven asunder. Deep in forgotten places that cry was heard. Far beneath the ruined halls of Angband, in vaults to which the Valar in the haste of their assault had not descended, Balrogs lurked still, awaiting ever the return of their Lord; and now swiftly they arose, and passing over Hithlum they came to Lammoth as a tempest of fire. With their whips of flame they smote asunder the webs of Ungoliant, and she quailed, and turned to flight, belching black vapours to cover her; and fleeing from the north she went down into Beleriand, and dwelt beneath Ered Gorgoroth, in that dark valley that was after called Nan Dungortheb, the Valley of Dreadful Death, because of the horror that she bred there. For other foul creatures of spider form had dwelt there since the days of the delving of Angband, and she mated with them, and devoured them; and even after Ungoliant herself departed, and went whither she would into the forgotten south of the world, her offspring abode there and wove their hideous webs. Of the fate of Ungoliant no tale tells. Yet some have said that she ended long ago, when in her uttermost famine she devoured herself at last.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/VGArtAndTidbits/status/991887415760470016

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Who was the big lady from Borderlands 2? She was definitely not typical

Both of Moxie's kids are atypical I guess. Scooter and Ellie.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hard to tell because she's a cat person but I think Mae Borowski is supposed to be kinda chunky.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I beat the free beyond 2 souls from ps+

It was ok. Would have been better if it was half the length.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ellie was ok, too bad as far as i played she got less focus than scooter, who's entire characterization in borderlands 2 was wanting to gently caress his cousins

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyways I played two matches of DoW2 today and won both of them. That's the extent of gaming I can do today and I'm happy with it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

My friend Cool Terry finally gave me a second gem, so time to take a break from Monster Hunter for a bit and also because the Dante from the Devil May Cry Series quest is intimidating.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I beat Yakuza Kiwami and it was good if you like Yakuza games which I do and the ending song was Amazing Grace and I lost my mind

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

bad memories

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
When talking about varying body types in over watch you're also forgetting about Zarya who's swole as hell and Orisa, who is centaur robot. Also Pharah and Brigitte are both always fully armored so I don't think there's really much of an issue with them either.

I mean, I'm not going to say the game doesn't have it's fanservice and loves it's skin tight bodysuits (hell my av is of a character that pretty much wears an anime plug suit AND has a goth cat girl outfit) but going by the depressingly low standards of the industry, it really seems fine.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

bad memories

cursed

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

glam rock hamhock posted:

When talking about varying body types in over watch you're also forgetting about Zarya who's swole as hell and Orisa, who is centaur robot. Also Pharah and Brigitte are both always fully armored so I don't think there's really much of an issue with them either.

I mean, I'm not going to say the game doesn't have it's fanservice and loves it's skin tight bodysuits (hell my av is of a character that pretty much wears an anime plug suit AND has a goth cat girl outfit) but going by the depressingly low standards of the industry, it really seems fine.
even in her armor brigitte's waist is weirdly small which is weird for her big she's portrayed elsewhere

and a lot of mercy skins make her ankles incredibly thin? which is super weird

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Colonel posted:

bad memories

gently caress I played this piece of poo poo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
roadhog really should've been a woman tho, but like mei, blizzard doesn't have a spine

a giant aussie woman with a hook winch on her back huffing nitrous constantly is powerful representation

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It was a podcast game for me.

Especially with the postgame grind that I knew was optional and especially doing it for that dumb-as-poo poo cutscene that I could have watched on YouTube was foolish in hindsight

I don't get this kind of thing. If a game is so unengaging that you need another thing going on for it to be ok, maybe just play or do something else? I mean it's your free time but I dunno...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have beaten Bullet Witch. It is a game that exists, and is very short and definitely a product of its age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Podcast games are good

The Trackmania they put on PS+ a while back is mine right now but I almost have all the golds so I'll have to find something else soon

e: but I never really thought of it as a negative thing. its just games like Spelunky or something where you can still focus while listening to stuff

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 3, 2018

• Locked thread