Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So in the process of cleaning out a bit of junk in my room, I came across an old mini bonsai kit thing. Nothing special, it apparently cost like $7 whenever it was bought, so I'm not expecting it to be any good. It's got a tiny pot, a peat pellet and some seeds that the book says are Jack Pine. Not sure when or how I got it, but I'm kind of thinking of taking a crack at it. Going through some poo poo in life, and therapist dude recommends hobbies and like, taking care of poo poo, so I figured this could be worth something.

Should I take a shot with this or not, and if so, should I wait for winter to end before trying to get the seeds germinating and such? I'm down in SoCal, so even our cold times of year are like 50's-60's, but the high here can shoot up to 110+ and stay there for weeks at a time, so I'm wondering if I should try to get this thing going indoors first, since in a couple months its going to be way hotter here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."

ShootaBoy posted:

Should I take a shot with this or not

I would go to your local nursery and get a little sapling pine, juniper, or even yew for that price (~$10) and throw it in that pot, and read up on how to take care of it. Check the bonsai section if they have one and you can likely get some disposable material.

You will learn much more than growing from seed, plus there’s more to look at and you don’t have to feel bad if you kill it.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Gryi posted:

I would go to your local nursery and get a little sapling pine, juniper, or even yew for that price (~$10) and throw it in that pot, and read up on how to take care of it. Check the bonsai section if they have one and you can likely get some disposable material.

You will learn much more than growing from seed, plus there’s more to look at and you don’t have to feel bad if you kill it.

Really this pot would only work for the very early stages of growing anything, from what I've gathered going through the thread. It's about 2.5" across and roughly 0.75" deep. If anything did manage to take root in the peat thing it comes with, it would need a new pot soon enough.

Mostly I'm wanting to see if having something to care for helps at all, or gets my head's interest enough to make getting out of bed a little easier. Then I'd start looking seriously into bonsai.

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."

ShootaBoy posted:

Really this pot would only work for the very early stages of growing anything, from what I've gathered going through the thread. It's about 2.5" across and roughly 0.75" deep. If anything did manage to take root in the peat thing it comes with, it would need a new pot soon enough.

Mostly I'm wanting to see if having something to care for helps at all, or gets my head's interest enough to make getting out of bed a little easier. Then I'd start looking seriously into bonsai.

I’m talking about something at this scale, would work just fine for the pot you have:

https://goo.gl/images/xPvbbJ

Would be more sturdy than a seed. It’s resilience might help cultivate your interest, in case the fragile seed starts to wither or if by the luck of the draw doesn’t make it. I’ve been doing bonsai for about two years and still have a crappy success chance with starting from seed (<50%), due to my schedule with kids and lack of space for a perfect environment.

Something like I linked would be a more reliable reason to get out of bed. Does that clarify at all what I’m trying to get across? Good luck! 👍

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I have no idea what I’m doing but I’ll give it a go anyway! (Not serious enough, yet...)

A month or so of growth and an actual pot;

Trying to get some aerial roots to grow, we will see how we go...

I’ve stolen a few branches from a big shrub of jade to grow as bonsai too. Will let them grow a bit first.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

We're having weirdly warm weather here in CA and all my trees have woken up ahead of schedule so I've been frantically buying pots and soil and repotting.
Luckily this means I finally got to repot my yew. After chopping through all the dried up dead stuff I found there was a plastic mesh in the pot that had been entirely eaten by roots, and had to carefully cut that off. The entire center of the dirt ball was SOPPING wet even though I hadn't watered it in two days, and it stank. I dug out all the rot and removed everything that wasn't alive and hopefully it can start actually growing and doing well, because this tree has a very pretty trunk and roots and a thick line of deadwood that goes all the way down the biggest root. I'll get a pic of it once my camera finally charges. The whole thing stressed me out a bit because I keep hearing about how delicate yew roots are and how rot is basically the only thing that can kill a yew. I kept all the exposed roots damp the entire time I worked on them, and repotted into akadama and gravel with a little bit of lava rock, so hopefully it'll be happy for a few more years like that.
The Monterey pine is getting repotted too this weekend into a bigger pot. It's pretty impressive how much wiring the other pine stunted it, it's just barely staring to think about maybe making some candles now, and the black pines in my neighborhood are already putting on needles.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm looking to get into Bonsai. I have an orange tree sapling that's been in my apartment for a few weeks now. The trunk is still really thin, but there's tons of big green leaves and new growth coming in.

When I look at guides online about getting started in Bonsai, they pretty much just jump right into combing and pruning roots, wiring branches, etc. Should I be even thinking about doing that yet, or am I better off just leaving it alone and letting the sapling grow as much as possible for now to try to get trunk growth?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The latter. There's a little bit of training you can do while the saplings are young, but really you need a year or two's worth of growth before it'll be big enough that you can actually do anything meaningful with it. Stick it in a big ol' pot and wait until its trunk gets nearly as thick as you want it (maybe 2-4 years), and then start futzing with it. The larger the pot, the less you'll restrict its growth and the sooner you'll have something to work with.

In the mean time you might want to pick up a cheap tree or two from a local nursery to learn with.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kedo posted:

The latter. There's a little bit of training you can do while the saplings are young, but really you need a year or two's worth of growth before it'll be big enough that you can actually do anything meaningful with it. Stick it in a big ol' pot and wait until its trunk gets nearly as thick as you want it (maybe 2-4 years), and then start futzing with it. The larger the pot, the less you'll restrict its growth and the sooner you'll have something to work with.

In the mean time you might want to pick up a cheap tree or two from a local nursery to learn with.

Thanks a lot! I've read some advice online that says to avoid putting saplings in too-big pots because all the soil will trap too much water and cause rot, is that a concern?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Get a bonsai soil mix from a store, or you can also look up guides for mixing your own depending on the tree. For citrus they tend to be fast draining. However tbh I’ve had my lemon in a big pot of plain old potting soil for a few years, watering it deeply about once per week indoors and it’s happy as a clam. Its sister plant only needs it every two. Outdoors in the hot sun they need daily waterings. Learning the quantity of water takes a bit of time with each tree, just stick your finger in deep to test it until you get a feel.

That being said don’t put it in a huge pot if it’s still a tiny baby. Wait until it is maybe a solid six to eight inches imo.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kedo posted:

Get a bonsai soil mix from a store, or you can also look up guides for mixing your own depending on the tree. For citrus they tend to be fast draining. However tbh I’ve had my lemon in a big pot of plain old potting soil for a few years, watering it deeply about once per week indoors and it’s happy as a clam. Its sister plant only needs it every two. Outdoors in the hot sun they need daily waterings. Learning the quantity of water takes a bit of time with each tree, just stick your finger in deep to test it until you get a feel.

That being said don’t put it in a huge pot if it’s still a tiny baby. Wait until it is maybe a solid six to eight inches imo.

Yeah, my orange is probably about a foot tall, but the trunk is only like 1/4 inch diameter so it's still pretty much a wee babe. I also have a croton that i've had for a few months, still pretty stubby but it's vigorously growing new leaves, so I hope one day its trunk will get nice and woody and it'll be a bonsai candidate. Here's some lovely cameraphone pics:

My orange sapling:

My Croton:

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 6, 2018

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, definitely let that sucker grow for awhile. Mine is on year 3.5 or so and it’s main trunk is only now maybe 3/4 of an inch in diameter. Who knew trees grow so slow? ;)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
If you want to actually do anything you probably need to get it in the ground to get some trunk size, otherwise you can just buy some cheap stock from your local garden center and mess around and kill those. No sarcasm, just the way it goes with most people starting out. Its more a serious time thing and less a do something now and see the end result any time soon thing

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I live in an apartment in the middle of a city so I don't really have access to real dirt. Definitely planning on messing around with some nursery stock when I get the chance, I was thinking I'd pick up a weeping fig or something similar next time I'm at home Depot

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

I live in an apartment in the middle of a city so I don't really have access to real dirt. Definitely planning on messing around with some nursery stock when I get the chance, I was thinking I'd pick up a weeping fig or something similar next time I'm at home Depot

Ficus benjamina aren't ideal for bonsai. Then again, neither is indoor growing. Chinese elm and Ficus microcarpa or willow leaf ficus are probably the best bets.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I’ve been gifted a Mexican Heather bonsai, tell me how I don’t kill this thing :downs:

Already I tried to slowly water it but the water seemed to just run off the mossy soil so I misted it instead :ohdear:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I’ve been gifted a Mexican Heather bonsai, tell me how I don’t kill this thing :downs:

Already I tried to slowly water it but the water seemed to just run off the mossy soil so I misted it instead :ohdear:

post a pic!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Bacon Terrorist posted:

That's insufficient watering. First thing to do is lift up the moss and look at the soil underneath.

Are you keeping it inside?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Crocoduck posted:

That's insufficient watering. First thing to do is lift up the moss and look at the soil underneath.

Are you keeping it inside?

Yes it will live indoors. A quick google indicates my hardiness zone is 8. How much water do you suggest? If the water is running off would it be better to let an ice cube melt on the soil instead?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Stumbled onto this thread recently, and have always wanted to try raising a bonsai. I think it would be cool to use air layering to make bonsai out of trees at various places I've lived that have been important in my life. Is this a dumb idea? Should I start with something more traditional for the first few years? I'm in zone 8b with a back yard, and there's a nursery right down the street so I have no worries about finding something local I can grow.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

Stumbled onto this thread recently, and have always wanted to try raising a bonsai. I think it would be cool to use air layering to make bonsai out of trees at various places I've lived that have been important in my life. Is this a dumb idea? Should I start with something more traditional for the first few years? I'm in zone 8b with a back yard, and there's a nursery right down the street so I have no worries about finding something local I can grow*.

great idea, post pics when you start! I'm not being sarcastic either I really like the idea

*kill. its a patience/time game :D

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

great idea, post pics when you start! I'm not being sarcastic either I really like the idea

*kill. its a patience/time game :D

Thanks for the encouragement! Is this a good time of year to start something like that project, or should I wait for a better season? Spring is just getting going and I know that it's a good time for growing, but I'm not sure if it'd take too long to air layer a branch and then get it secured in a pot until it's healthy.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Thanks for the encouragement! Is this a good time of year to start something like that project, or should I wait for a better season? Spring is just getting going and I know that it's a good time for growing, but I'm not sure if it'd take too long to air layer a branch and then get it secured in a pot until it's healthy.

collecting yamadori should be done before the tree starts to grow in the spring, I dunno about air layering sorry. I would bet it would be similar or depend on the species

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Yes it will live indoors. A quick google indicates my hardiness zone is 8. How much water do you suggest? If the water is running off would it be better to let an ice cube melt on the soil instead?

Ice cube thing is a terrible myth. If I were you I would purchase supplemental lighting and get the tree on well draining bonsai soil. Did you lift the moss to see what was underneath? The moss will likely die indoors, so you might as well remove it.

Air layering is a good way to start stock.

collecting yamadori should be done before the tree starts to grow in the spring, I dunno about air layering sorry. I would bet it would be similar or depend on the species

Air layering is best performed after the spring growth has hardened off. This growth will feed the roots that you want to develop.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

Ice cube thing is a terrible myth. If I were you I would purchase supplemental lighting and get the tree on well draining bonsai soil. Did you lift the moss to see what was underneath? The moss will likely die indoors, so you might as well remove it.

Air layering is best performed after the spring growth has hardened off. This growth will feed the roots that you want to develop.

good stuff thanks!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Crocoduck posted:

Thanks for the info! a few newbie questions, though:

What do you mean by "Stock"? I assume just "a bonsai tree" but I want to be sure I'm not misunderstanding. I'm also not super clear on what you mean by the spring growth "hardening off" - does that mean to wait until later in the spring? Also, what should I look for when choosing a branch to air layer, is there particular sizes / shapes / etc that are recommended or that should be avoided?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Oh lol I thought you were well informed about air layering already

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Oh lol I thought you were well informed about air layering already

I've read a few articles on it online but nothing beyond that. :v:

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

So, an expert.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Thanks for the info! a few newbie questions, though:

What do you mean by "Stock"? I assume just "a bonsai tree" but I want to be sure I'm not misunderstanding. I'm also not super clear on what you mean by the spring growth "hardening off" - does that mean to wait until later in the spring? Also, what should I look for when choosing a branch to air layer, is there particular sizes / shapes / etc that are recommended or that should be avoided?

Stock just refers to stuff that has been developed or will be developed for bonsai. So if you cruise into your local garden nursery, there's gonna be some poo poo that's fairly decent and after ten to twenty years could be a decent bonsai. Air layers generate similar, sometimes superior, stock. Hardening off, well, you kinda need to see it. Fresh spring growth is light green and delicate. Hardened summer growth is darker green. For air layering I would look for movement.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

You should try and buy a few trees on sale somewhere and see if you can keep them alive before you try air layering or even wiring

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

You should try and buy a few trees on sale somewhere and see if you can keep them alive before you try air layering or even wiring

I'm still failing at air layering every year. I'm working with a guy on air layering this Japanese maple this year.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

I'm still failing at air layering every year. I'm working with a guy on air layering this Japanese maple this year.

awesome, good luck. just imagine how it'll feel when you don't fail!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I have these bullshit rhododendrons in front of my house that have been pissing me off for years. Is this a kind of plant that could be bonsai'd?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I have these bullshit rhododendrons in front of my house that have been pissing me off for years. Is this a kind of plant that could be bonsai'd?

Depends on the species as there are over 1,000 in the genus but azalea are pretty common and gorgeous when in bloom

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Very happy with this tree. Very, very happy. That nebari was a real surprise.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Beautiful! How old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

GAZE UPON MY YEW! CLICK FOR HUGE!

I got this tree for five dollars because it was actively in the process of dying. Removed dead twigs and needles, repotted, ripped out rotten and dead roots, gently repotted (in the same lovely pot but next year I'll find a nicer one) and manually removed a scale infestation and she's really bounced back. All the pale green is new foliage. Check out the lovely jin and shari I dug out of the rotten-rear end soil it was drowning in! That shari near the base extends all the way down one of the bigger surface roots and look really cool, although I'm not sure if the jin can be saved since it's pretty damaged. She's got a date with a more knowledgeable person than I and some lime sulfur this year I think to clean that up and stop it rotting. Surface bark still looks like poo poo, there's some reverse taper and rot damage going on but I really like this tree.