Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Unkempt posted:

You'd think, wouldn't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Iron Crowned posted:

Animation usually gets a pass because that's been a staple of Hanna Barbera since the dawn of time

Even the Flintstones got into that eventually with the Great Gazoo. (and not even getting into some of the loving bizarre spinoffs that show got. And the show's finale movie was Moonraker with caveman technology) A lot of shows have a 'wacky guy' wildcard, nonhuman or just noticeably weirder than the rest, almost entirely for comic relief and introducing curveball plots that even the already silly main characters wouldn't consider. (though there are shows where the main protagonist is by far the silliest character, Doctor Who comes to mind)

I think in a lot of cases the wacky family member (Alf in particular) was there to appeal to kids who'd otherwise still be watching cartoons and bored when their parents want to watch a sitcom. Urkel was an odd case in that he started out as a wacky wildcard and ended up basically taking over the show. (also not unusual, though I imagine sometimes it can go the other way and the wacky character becomes a relic) I think that kind of thing mostly died out when TV shows got more focused on particular viewer demographics rather than wide appeal. (which introduced a lot of its own problems)

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, a friend of a friend was on it. Cooper was great at it, too.

Hmm, I also was high school friends with someone who went on the biggest loser, and Richard Hatch lived up the street from me growing up... Post your Reality show connections itt

i was a reality tv camera operator for 3 years, it mostly sucked rear end and none of the episodes aged well but i did get to eat lunch at the top of a cliff in a vineyard overlooking the adriatic sea once

that's my reality show connection, thanks for reading

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

CaptainViolence posted:

i was a reality tv camera operator for 3 years, it mostly sucked rear end and none of the episodes aged well but i did get to eat lunch at the top of a cliff in a vineyard overlooking the adriatic sea once

that's my reality show connection, thanks for reading

I was a producer. Getting people drunk and manipulating them to "open up to the camera" was a lot of fun but ethically terrible and I'd feel really bad about it if the subject wasn't really happy with the results. Don't even get me started on the editing.

Show never got picked up but I had a great time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even the Flintstones got into that eventually with the Great Gazoo. (and not even getting into some of the loving bizarre spinoffs that show got. And the show's finale movie was Moonraker with caveman technology)
Yeah, what the hell was the deal with the Great Gazoo?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Koalas March posted:

I was a producer. Getting people drunk and manipulating them to "open up to the camera" was a lot of fun but ethically terrible and I'd feel really bad about it if the subject wasn't really happy with the results. Don't even get me started on the editing.

Show never got picked up but I had a great time.

right??? that's why i eventually bailed and got into making educational videos. reality tv as a whole has not aged well, i don't think.

other than joe schmoe show, i mean.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, what the hell was the deal with the Great Gazoo?

Mr Mxyzpltk knockoff I presumed.

The new Flinstones comics which are way better than they have any right to be actually reimagine him in an interesting and fitting way. (basically totally different)

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
do judge shows count? I was on Judge Mathis about 20 years ago because my neighbor refused to pay me the $250 she owed me, I got my $250 but it was not one of my finer moments

that's my reality-show-adjacent story

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A co-worker was on a stupid reality show where they built a wall around one street and had families fight it out without electricity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_Goes_the_Neighborhood_(TV_series)

Even knowing someone on the show, I couldn't get past the first episode. I think it was one of those situations where the idea looked better on paper than in practice, but by the time they realized their mistake it was too late to stop. So you just power through your 7 episodes, hope you can make it interesting in post-production, and forget it ever happened.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheKennedys posted:

do judge shows count? I was on Judge Mathis about 20 years ago because my neighbor refused to pay me the $250 she owed me, I got my $250 but it was not one of my finer moments

that's my reality-show-adjacent story

Did you also get paid money to be on TV?

I understood those judge shows being like both people get $1000 either way and the judgement is just the icing

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The new Flinstones comics which are way better than they have any right to be actually reimagine him in an interesting and fitting way. (basically totally different)

http://www.dorkly.com/post/82072/wiiiiiillllmaaaaaa

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

We participated in a genocide, Barney

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
But our ferns.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mr Mxyzpltk knockoff I presumed.

I recently read that series and it wasn't what I was expecting but it was good. In addition to the army vet on hold posted above there's also:

Bedrock being built where the Forest People used to live. They were slaughtered and the forest burned to make room for the city.

Bambam is the lone survivor of the Forest People found in a tree and taken in by Barney who wasn't able to have kids of his own.

Wilma is a runaway who wasn't happy with the man her dad sold her to for marriage.

The new mayor of Bedrock closing down the children's hospital so he could afford new armor for his dinosaur army and getting rid of retirement options so he could buy pteradactyl drones (that ate innocent Bedrock people rather than the lizard people they were supposed to)

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

trickybiscuits posted:

Yeah :( A friend of mine has talked about seeing people get fitted for klan robes at a county fair in upstate NY. There's a serious racism problem.

It’s weird because I grew up in what we call “the north country” and I really didn’t encounter open racism until about 9th grade - at which point, in art class, two giant dudes a grade or two ahead approached me about joining their new chapter of the klan. My response was something to the effect of “What? There aren’t even any ‘minorities’ here to hate. What the hell is wrong with you?”

Aesop Poprock posted:

Something that has aged well on this subject is the Mission Hill episode about it from like 1999 I think

Christ this phone is bad, just look up Mission Hill Andy Vs the Real World somehow because I can’t link the video

Man, I haven’t thought about Mission Hill in a long while, but I recall loving it. What got it cancelled?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

burial posted:

Man, I haven’t thought about Mission Hill in a long while, but I recall loving it. What got it cancelled?

Because nobody thought about it while it was airing, presumably.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

burial posted:

It’s weird because I grew up in what we call “the north country” and I really didn’t encounter open racism until about 9th grade - at which point, in art class, two giant dudes a grade or two ahead approached me about joining their new chapter of the klan. My response was something to the effect of “What? There aren’t even any ‘minorities’ here to hate. What the hell is wrong with you?”

I grew up in a place that sort of secretly ended up being racist all along, but growing up I never noticed it because I want to Catholic school so never saw any of it firsthand. I was the white kid who would unironically retell Carlos Mencia jokes about "beaners" and Chris Rock's "Black People vs. Niggers" bit, and it wasn't until I heard adults voicing stuff like that and meaning it, rather than just accepting it as a joke bit, that I realized what was up. Being on decently moderated places on the internet really did wonders for me in the long run of not being an absolute shithead.

burial posted:

The WB.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

burial posted:

It’s weird because I grew up in what we call “the north country” and I really didn’t encounter open racism until about 9th grade - at which point, in art class, two giant dudes a grade or two ahead approached me about joining their new chapter of the klan. My response was something to the effect of “What? There aren’t even any ‘minorities’ here to hate. What the hell is wrong with you?"

I grew up in a very white suburb of Syracuse in the 80s, and remember far more Polish jokes than blatant racism against non-white folks. I think it was a perfect storm of Syracuse having a high Polish-descended population at the time (I kid you not, easily 1/2 of my friends or teachers had "ski" on the end of their name), coupled with the very popular Archie Bunker casually referring to Mike as his "idiot Pollack son in law".

I can't recall the last time I heard someone making a joke about or dissing Polish people, even in these vile wastes we call the Internet. I wonder how those Archie lines hold up to someone born way after me, just abject confusion?

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Polish-Americans assimilated and have levels of wealth and educational attainment similar to other white Americans, thus limiting their utility as an "other". I hear anti-Polish prejudice is alive and well in the UK, though!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, which is apparently racist militia central

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You're more likely to hear jokes about polish jokes than polish jokes themselves honestly

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
This just teaches me that NY really is large. And weird. And, in many ways, unfortunate.

Also I think I only encountered Mission Hill after it was off air, so that makes sense.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

purple death ray posted:

You're more likely to hear jokes about polish jokes than polish jokes themselves honestly

I made an ironic polish joke this weekend at the expense of the movie Sunshine, starring Cillian Murphy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I grew up in a very white suburb of Syracuse in the 80s, and remember far more Polish jokes than blatant racism against non-white folks. I think it was a perfect storm of Syracuse having a high Polish-descended population at the time (I kid you not, easily 1/2 of my friends or teachers had "ski" on the end of their name), coupled with the very popular Archie Bunker casually referring to Mike as his "idiot Pollack son in law".

I can't recall the last time I heard someone making a joke about or dissing Polish people, even in these vile wastes we call the Internet. I wonder how those Archie lines hold up to someone born way after me, just abject confusion?

All in the Family holds up great and is one of the best TV shows of all time. I won't hear a negative word spoken about it.

Trouble is Archie Bunker has become normalized.

Check out this bit from 40 years ago played for laughs that half the country currently agrees with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lDb0Dn8OXE

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CaptainViolence posted:

right??? that's why i eventually bailed and got into making educational videos. reality tv as a whole has not aged well, i don't think.

other than joe schmoe show, i mean.

I kinda want to rewatch the Joe Schmoe show again, but I'm afraid it won't live up to the memories.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Iron Crowned posted:

I was thinking about it on the way into work, but it's kind of weird that in the 80's-90's a popular sub-genre of sitcom revolved around a wacky family member. Like everyone is normal, except that they have a pet alien, the daughter is a robot, the mom died and got replaced by their aunt, and the step-dad is an army man.

It's just mirroring the 60s/70s:

I Dream of Jeannie
Bewitched
The Flying Nun
My Mother the Car
The Girl With Something Extra

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

CommonShore posted:

I made an ironic polish joke this weekend at the expense of the movie Sunshine, starring Cillian Murphy.

Cillian Murphy is Irish and has the most Irish name ever (spelled the traditional Gaelic way with no letter K)??

edit: am I the :thejoke: ?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

purple death ray posted:

Ugh, even Polish jokes can't get anything right. :rolleyes:

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

The Bloop posted:

Did you also get paid money to be on TV?

I understood those judge shows being like both people get $1000 either way and the judgement is just the icing

yeah, we both got a free all-expense trip to Chicago for all of like 48 hours (with a guest) and a couple hundred bucks just for showing up and making a minor scene on TV. it was terrifying and I'm really glad it was in like 2001 before everything was permanently committed to the internet

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

I kinda want to rewatch the Joe Schmoe show again, but I'm afraid it won't live up to the memories.

What is going on!?

That poor bastard

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I watched that with my housemates back in college, and it was interesting, but we all kinda hated it by the end. They really tried to wring every last drop of drama out of it in the final episodes, and it became just as tedious and obnoxious as the shows I thought it was satirizing.

I never knew there was a second season, and the Wikipedia article makes it sound better than the first.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This recent talk reminds me of that show they did on Comedy Central where they hired some guy to make an 80s-style comedy movie and it was all supposedly a joke on him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windy_City_Heat

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Rollersnake posted:

I watched that with my housemates back in college, and it was interesting, but we all kinda hated it by the end. They really tried to wring every last drop of drama out of it in the final episodes, and it became just as tedious and obnoxious as the shows I thought it was satirizing.

I never knew there was a second season, and the Wikipedia article makes it sound better than the first.

The second season they do 2 people to trick, but one of them figures it out so they try to work her into the joke.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Polish is the only word in the English language that changes pronunciation when capitalized.

This has been another walrusman trivia interlude.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
We'll surely avoid scurvy if we all eat an orange.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

bobjr posted:

The second season they do 2 people to trick, but one of them figures it out so they try to work her into the joke.

The second season was interesting because the gal who figured it out was cunning. The guy from season one didn't notice these tiny slip-ups, she kept loving track and was on to them from minute one. So, the first part of the season was all about watching her slowly figure out she was on a sham of a reality dating show. The second part of the season they had to redirect a bit and "let" her in on it because she'd figured poo poo out already, which wasn't as interesting.

The first season also stands out for having Natasha Leggero and Kristen freakin' Wiig waaaaay before they were famous.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

walrusman posted:

Polish is the only word in the English language that changes pronunciation when capitalized.

The people of Reading reading this disagree.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

walrusman posted:

Nice job.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

spog posted:

The people of Reading reading this disagree.

Wait am I not supposed to read Reading as reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tardcore posted:

Wait am I not supposed to reed redding as reeding?