Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

double nine posted:

it's pretty much the only paradox game where wartime casualties have an impact on your economy at large, which is great.

i'll never get why devastation is so incredibly limp-dicked in EU4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Remember when you could literally depopulate an entire country in Victoria 2 for a patch? That was fun times, occupy France as Germany and sit on em for a decade, hello country with slightly more POPs than Jan Mayern.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Prav posted:

i'll never get why devastation is so incredibly limp-dicked in EU4

I think during development it was harsher but they toned it down for MP balancing.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The main failing in PDS' design philosophy seems to be their assumption that the people who play their games are interested in interacting with other people. They should really fix that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I've been quite enjoying playing Stellaris with some buds, but beyond some a few matches of HoI thats the only Paradox MP I've ever played.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The main failing in PDS' design philosophy seems to be their assumption that the people who play their games are interested in interacting with other people. They should really fix that.

A shockingly large percentage of the playerbase plays multiplayer.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I play a fuckton of EU IV multi with my friends, I think it's like half my playtime in that game. With them, multi feels like having a random assortment of countries all got their AI replaced with Revolver Ocelots, so many double crossing and triple crossings :ocelot:

I will readily admit I'm most likely in the minority here, and multi is a completely different beast compared to single player.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The vague concept of "the more you suck the less of the resources you need you actually get" works it just needs to not be all or nothing. Personally I think it should tie in with prestige, if you, 5 prestige Ethiopia are trying to buy cement and 200 prestige Britain is ALSO trying to buy cements, for every 200 cement Britian is trying to buy you should be able to buy 5. That way you'd always be making at least SOME progress towards whatever it is you're looking for.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

The vague concept of "the more you suck the less of the resources you need you actually get" works it just needs to not be all or nothing. Personally I think it should tie in with prestige, if you, 5 prestige Ethiopia are trying to buy cement and 200 prestige Britain is ALSO trying to buy cements, for every 200 cement Britian is trying to buy you should be able to buy 5. That way you'd always be making at least SOME progress towards whatever it is you're looking for.

This is a cool idea, and also basically how trade nodes work in EU4. Country A has 100 trade power, Country B has 50 trade power, so B gets 50 ducats for every 100 A gets.

Although I'd also replace prestige with something more like trade influence, which would be an amalgam of various factors. It's a little silly that making a bunch of paintings means you get all the machine parts in the world.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Influence is affected by how much investment you make in a minor's economy though? Building railroads or factories in a country is the easiest way to beat the AI in the sphere game. All it really needed was to make influencing those countries that disallowed foreign investment impossible, and then adding a threaten war option to force them to open up.

Kind of - influence isn't BOOSTED by investment; it's diminished by a ratio of your investment in the nation compared to other GPs. So no matter how much you invest in a nation, you can never get more influence than when nobody had invested anything in the country. And once investment competition has started, you'll never get that much influence again, since even if you have 10x as much investment as an opponent, the fact that their investment exists at all still means that you'll generate a slight fraction of a % less than you did at 0.

Having a CB to force a nation to open itself to foreign investment would be a good idea though - considering this is the time period of the Opium wars it seems odd that there really isn't much in the way of trade/economic CBs. I'm also surprised there's no mechanic for trade embargoes against other nations either, although maybe this would end up breaking the economy entirely if it was possible.

reignonyourparade posted:

Yeah this would make a lot of sense. Resource starvation in small low ranked nations is fine as a mechanic to represent the economic turmoil those countries had in the global economy, but it also seems weird that like, Germany can completely buy out everything produced in Argentina before Chile even gets to look at it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Isn't prestige already used to rank countries for trade priority? Or was that only vicky1?

The problem is that it's too all-or-nothing.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Isn't prestige already used to rank countries for trade priority? Or was that only vicky1?

The problem is that it's too all-or-nothing.

Yeah, I think it does work that way in 2. Highest prestige gets both first dibs on other markets, and gets their goods sold on the world market first, iirc.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Rank is used for priority. It's just that prestige plays a pretty crucial role in rank.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Rynoto posted:

Rank is used for priority. It's just that prestige plays a pretty crucial role in rank.

Yep; it was a common misconception it was prestige for a long time.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm also surprised there's no mechanic for trade embargoes against other nations either, although maybe this would end up breaking the economy entirely if it was possible.

Now that you mention it, that is surprising! I wonder if it's possible to sell guns and boats to a country you're at war with.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Magissima posted:

Now that you mention it, that is surprising! I wonder if it's possible to sell guns and boats to a country you're at war with.

As far as I understand it, yeah. Everything that doesn't get sold on your local market goes up on the global market where it's fair game to everyone else in the world, regardless of current diplomatic status. I don't think the game even really keeps track of what specific goods came from where - most likely it just lumps it all in a big pile and tracks what proportion of it came from where. Then when stuff sells from that pile it just splits the money between everyone who put into that pile based on said proportions.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Anything you produce that isn't bought by your pops/factories then goes on the common world market that anybody can buy from, no exceptions, so it is extremely possible that the guy you're currently in a genocidal hellwar with is just buying all your extra rifles/ammo/tanks/whatever and using them against you. Or at the very least it's your steel feeding their artillery factories, and there's nothing you can do about it. That's one of my biggest problems with Vicky, for a game so heavily focused on the economy there's basically no way to do economic warfare and embargo/blockade your rivals or whatever.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

Anything you produce that isn't bought by your pops/factories then goes on the common world market that anybody can buy from, no exceptions, so it is extremely possible that the guy you're currently in a genocidal hellwar with is just buying all your extra rifles/ammo/tanks/whatever and using them against you. Or at the very least it's your steel feeding their artillery factories, and there's nothing you can do about it. That's one of my biggest problems with Vicky, for a game so heavily focused on the economy there's basically no way to do economic warfare and embargo/blockade your rivals or whatever.

I read posts like this, and I think, ah, yes, now I understand vicky, then I boot it up and stare slack jawed a bit before going back to my retard masturbator career.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

To be fair, it is extremely victorian era to sell weapons to your enemies as well. If you have liberals in power, even moreso.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

To be fair, it is extremely victorian era to sell weapons to your enemies as well. If you have liberals in power, even moreso.

Reading a big book about the Krupp company over the centuries was pretty drat funny$.

"THE GOVERNMENT MUST BUY ITS WEAPONS FROM KRUPP TO MAINTAIN A DOMESTIC ARMS INDUSTRY" and also
"KRUPP MUST BE ALLOWED TO SELL ARMS ON THE INTERNATIONAL MARKET SO WE MAY REMAIN SOLVENT AND MAINTAIN A DOMESTIC ARMS INDUSTRY"

*German gunboat in China gets lit up by Krupp guns*

$Until the WWII war crimes business anyway :(

Arrath fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 4, 2018

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I think there might be room for some different values/tweaked rule differences between single and multi player.

Slant the rules to be a little harsher/more "historic" in single player, and more tuned toward blobbing in multi.

Paradox probably doesn't want to maintain two rule sets, though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

I think there might be room for some different values/tweaked rule differences between single and multi player.

Slant the rules to be a little harsher/more "historic" in single player, and more tuned toward blobbing in multi.

Paradox probably doesn't want to maintain two rule sets, though.

I dunno, I feel like the "game rules" stuff they have in CK2 is a good approach to this kind of thing. You could even have different defaults in SP and MP if you wanted them to have a different focus from each other, and in either case players would be free to tweak the stuff they want to change to suit the game they're aiming for.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

really queer Christmas posted:

History repeats itself with the US arms industry, selling around the world. If we wind up at war with Iran we'll be fighting their American-made F-14 Tomcats, and half the rebels in any chosen Middle East conflict are US supplied.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

History repeats itself with the US arms industry, selling around the world. If we wind up at war with Iran we'll be fighting their American-made F-14 Tomcats, and half the rebels in any chosen Middle East conflict are US supplied.

a lot of isis gear is just stuff they lifted from iraq, which was originally from the US

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Agean90 posted:

a lot of isis gear is just stuff they lifted from iraq, which was originally from the US

Not just gear. A fair amount of ISIS' initial stock of trained soldiers was from the Iraqi Republican Guard, that is, the former regime's elite troops. When the Americans invaded back in the war a good chunk of the Republican Guard just hosed right off into the desert. At least, that's how I hear it. To couch it in Vicky 2 terms, the army was routed, but the Soldier pops remained and became a problem later.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 4, 2018

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Psychotic Weasel posted:

EUIV online with friends is loving wild

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the problem isn't that they sometimes make changes on account of mp

the problem is that sometimes those changes are stupid

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Kind of - influence isn't BOOSTED by investment; it's diminished by a ratio of your investment in the nation compared to other GPs. So no matter how much you invest in a nation, you can never get more influence than when nobody had invested anything in the country. And once investment competition has started, you'll never get that much influence again, since even if you have 10x as much investment as an opponent, the fact that their investment exists at all still means that you'll generate a slight fraction of a % less than you did at 0.

Having a CB to force a nation to open itself to foreign investment would be a good idea though - considering this is the time period of the Opium wars it seems odd that there really isn't much in the way of trade/economic CBs. I'm also surprised there's no mechanic for trade embargoes against other nations either, although maybe this would end up breaking the economy entirely if it was possible.

And then you can crisis over economic issues too.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

A shockingly large percentage of the playerbase plays multiplayer.

No they dont. Not unless your definition of "large" is well below 5%

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Not just gear. A fair amount of ISIS' initial stock of trained soldiers was from the Iraqi Republican Guard, that is, the former regime's elite troops. When the Americans invaded back in the war a good chunk of the Republican Guard just hosed right off into the desert. At least, that's how I hear it. To couch it in Vicky 2 terms, the army was routed, but the Soldier pops remained and became a problem later.

iirc the american policy was that "anyone who used to be a member of the Ba'ath party (saddam's political organisation) is fired immediately and can't come back. Turns out if you dump a bunch of military personnel and don't give them civvy jobs, they get a bit bored and start shooting at stuff. Who knew.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Prav posted:

the problem isn't that they sometimes make changes on account of mp

the problem is that sometimes those changes are stupid

Examples?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SickZip posted:

No they dont. Not unless your definition of "large" is well below 5%

It depends a lot on which game. CKIIs MP base is negligible, HoI4 has like 12% of the playerbase ever playing MP at all (and the so-called competetive community being tiny), but from what I recall EU4 is well above that. They are a minority on all games though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

any advice on the papal states in vicky?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

It depends a lot on which game. CKIIs MP base is negligible, HoI4 has like 12% of the playerbase ever playing MP at all (and the so-called competetive community being tiny), but from what I recall EU4 is well above that. They are a minority on all games though.
Yeah, I vaguely remember Groogs or one of the other devs mention a crazy high number of multiplayer games for EUIV

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yeah, I vaguely remember Groogs or one of the other devs mention a crazy high number of multiplayer games for EUIV

I wonder how that's counted, though. If 10 people start a multi session together, does that go into the stats as 1 game started or 10 games started?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

I wonder how that's counted, though. If 10 people start a multi session together, does that go into the stats as 1 game started or 10 games started?

We count "number of players who clicked on the MP button", so that would count as a 10. We don't care about the number of games.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Radio Free Kobold posted:

IIRC The entire Saddam-era military was disbanded and everybody who'd been part of it were barred from joining the new one.

Which meant there was an entire army of trained men with guns who suddenly were out of a job.

Also everyone who had been part of the Baath party were banned from any level of government, which was basically everyone as career advancement was near impossible unless you were a party member.

Needless to say the US-supported successor regime had a lot of growing pains.

E: This is all based off of vaguely-remembered secondhand knowledge, so take it with a grain of salt

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

ThaumPenguin posted:

IIRC The entire Saddam-era military was disbanded and everybody who'd been part of it were barred from joining the new one.

Worth noting that everyone except the people actually making that decision thought it was a bad idea.

There was a guy that managed to google of a ton of stuff about the Iraqi power grid and put together a plan to knock it out in a way that would make it easy to fix afterward. He was ignored.

Cheney or Rumsfeld caught wind that the Army was planning on using way more troops than was strictly necessary to defeat the Iraqi army and demanded cuts. Those troops where in the plan to prevent looting in the aftermath. Turns out several weeks of looting completely destroys economies, who knew?

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!
double post, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

This is clearly unacceptable encroachment on china's part.