Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i'm very hyped for the fall of errinwright, my guess is that he pulls a gun on the SG and shoots, and that promotes avasarala to the position (if that's how it works). her giving some sort of Extremely Inspiring Speech was in the pre-season trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cojawfee posted:

So what exactly was that? Was the protomolecule analyzing the efficiency/effectiveness of the human body? The kid said something about distance and bandwidth, and redundant sensory inputs or something. I assume it was talking about the eyes.

The protomolecule is designed to disassemble and repurpose biomass for its own uses. What, exactly, those uses are is explained eventually.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Grand Fromage posted:

I liked this because this is more of what the protomolecule did to Eros in the books than the glowy alien crystal thing they went with on the show.

Yeah, I'm glad they showed some of that aspect of the protomolecule. I think the route the show went was a lot cooler ultimately, and helps sell the "tech as magic" level of their advancement. Eros in the book was practically lovecraftian.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
From what I heard about the protomolecule in the book I'm glad they went with shiny blue sparkle magic instead really. The scene was shocking but if every protomolecule scene is like that it would get old fast.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

So what exactly was that? Was the protomolecule analyzing the efficiency/effectiveness of the human body? The kid said something about distance and bandwidth, and redundant sensory inputs or something. I assume it was talking about the eyes.

The reveal is that, up until now, we have not known that the protomolecule as anything other than a plague or zombie-virus. There was a mindlessness to it: a simple hunger that grows. There were glimpses of intelligence, but it was all human hosts acting through the protomolecule.

But Katoa, connected to the rest of the PM, is taking things apart to understand how they work. He says that disassembling the lab tech apart is like what happened on Venus with the Arboghast. That suggests an intelligence behind the protomolecule and its actions...

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

it's very unfortunate little mei (may?) got to see that

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

zeal posted:

it's very unfortunate little mei (may?) got to see that

It was a great fake out though, I really thought the kid was just going to be all blue spiked.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

JossiRossi posted:

It was a great fake out though, I really thought the kid was just going to be all blue spiked.

Same. I though 100% he'd be all blue crystal merged in to the floor or something.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Every time I look at the episode list and see the final episode of the season "It reaches out" I get super geeked because I know what's coming and I'm excited to see how it translates to the screen.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Chard posted:

Yeah it was a very long and extremely risky mission that they just sort of glossed over. The show is compressing time but not really pointing it out.

e: IIRC book-Nauvoo never stopped accelerating (gradually) until they caught it - no remote control off-switch, same reason they had to physically chase it down.

who the gently caress cares, drummer kick-flipped that bitch with some robot rockets.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Snowman Crossing posted:

Every time I look at the episode list and see the final episode of the season "It reaches out" I get super geeked because I know what's coming and I'm excited to see how it translates to the screen.

me too. but that's like the midpoint of the season unless they've changed something.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
There's 13 episodes this season again right? Surely not just 8?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
9 eps left.

Also, :laffo: at Holden and Naomi being like "we can't send a message because they'll see us" when:

1) Their drive is on.

2) Alex has sent and received a message.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

9 eps left.

Also, :laffo: at Holden and Naomi being like "we can't send a message because they'll see us" when:

1) Their drive is on.

2) Alex has sent and received a message.

i think the assumption here was that they're visible but hopefully not associated with the attack on the un ship. if they sent a extremely political message that's going to get, at minimum, errinwright gunning for them, then they'd be in trouble

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They can send messages to nobodies and no one will look into it. If they send a message to the leader of the UN, the UN might look into who it came from and what direction it came from.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
there's a war going on, nobody cares. nobody even bothered sending help for the martian ship, although i'm wondering if that's a side effect of the war or simply that "leave nobody behind" is not actually followed

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i've been really disappointed in how little they've shown mars this season. it's probably not a setting right now in the novels, but given we've seen a ton of sets in the belt, tons of earth, mars only had one outdoor scene.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think Mars would get incredibly tedious so they're choosing not to. Ever Martian we've met has been a jarhead with a hardon for murdering the poo poo out of Earth. Can you imagine a whole planet full of those three idiots from the last episode?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think Mars would get incredibly tedious so they're choosing not to. Ever Martian we've met has been a jarhead with a hardon for murdering the poo poo out of Earth. Can you imagine a whole planet full of those three idiots from the last episode?

I liked the Mars crew on the Donnager. Everyone else seem to be dumb as bricks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

I really hope you're not being serious here.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mu Zeta posted:

I liked the Mars crew on the Donnager. Everyone else seem to be dumb as bricks.

The Captain was cool. I guess the other captain of the ship Bobbi was on was okay too. The rest were pretty one note, to say the least. Even Bobbi was universally hated for like half a season before she calmed the gently caress down. There should be a Bechdel test but instead of women it's Martians and instead of talking about something other than men it's talking about something other that drinking earth's rivers dry and stomp it's mountains to fine Martian dust.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I mean, picture an endless series of airport terminals and that's basically Mars in the books, Ceres is probably the closest we've seen to what Mars would be like. You got gravity going for you but that's about it, it's all domin' it up. Could do some fun exterior shots or shots of people going from inside the dome to walking on the surface though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

We also got to see Alex's ex-wife and she's not exactly OORAH KILL THE EARTHIES

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't remember Mars proper ever showing up in the books except the novella about Bobbie and her family.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
To me, the most amusing thing about Mars in the show is still that equipment critical to the terraforming process is privately owned by one family.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Kassad posted:

To me, the most amusing thing about Mars in the show is still that equipment critical to the terraforming process is privately owned by one family.

The Clovis Bray family, I presume?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so explain a little mars' whole "ocean" plan, because from what I remember mars doesn't have the atmospheric pressure nor the temperature to keep water. So is the idea to continually haul ice to offset the loss of water dissipating into space?

e: or would it be a "domed" ocean?

double nine fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 4, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You'd rebuild the atmosphere to a livable pressure first. There's plenty of trapped gases that could be freed, plus Mars is taking huge amounts of ice and other volatiles from the belt to use.

The atmosphere does dissipate because of the lack of a magnetic field but that's a very, very slow process so maintaining the atmosphere once built would be relatively trivial.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

double nine posted:

so explain a little mars' whole "ocean" plan, because from what I remember mars doesn't have the atmospheric pressure nor the temperature to keep water. So is the idea to continually haul ice to offset the loss of water dissipating into space?

e: or would it be a "domed" ocean?

I don't recall the series ever getting too into the details of Martian terraforming. Whatever they're doing, they expect it to take centuries to complete.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy spends quite a bit of time on different terraforming methods. The books are a couple decades old, so I don't know how much some of the details line up with our current understanding, but he at least did his homework at the time. Some of the proposed strategies in Robinson's books include thickening the atmosphere by redirecting and aerobraking comets/asteroids and melting the ice caps (water and, during winter, carbon dioxide) to ramp up greenhouse effects. If questions of how/when/whether to terraform and the politics of off-world expansion interest you, it's a good read.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I've heard about the nudging comets and asteroids into the ice caps to thicken the atmosphere plan. There's also one that has been hypothetically discussed where large solar mirrors are constructed in the orbit around Mars and they use that to melt the caps and give the planet an ecosystem dense enough to support moisture.

Edit: But even that would take a long time and the scale of such a structure would have to be supermassive.

Alternatively, this could also be attempted:

Gonz fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 4, 2018

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Toast Museum posted:

I don't recall the series ever getting too into the details of Martian terraforming. Whatever they're doing, they expect it to take centuries to complete.

Yeah, the idea of Mars culture is that the entire society is working towards this one goal of making life on the surface possible, even if they or their children will never get to actually see it to completion and will spend their entire lives underground. Their perception of Earthers is that they just continue to squander the one bountiful planet that they were given, with most of the population just sitting around on their asses collecting their basic (i.e., universal basic income) paychecks, not contributing to their own society in any meaningful way.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Basic Assistance in The Expanse isn't quite the same as universal basic income. For starters, it's not money; you need a job to get money. The analogy that just came to mind is a freemium video game: Basic will provide you with food, shelter, clothing, etc, but mostly in the blandest, most utilitarian way. If you want anything nicer, you've got to spend.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Toast Museum posted:

Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy spends quite a bit of time on different terraforming methods. The books are a couple decades old, so I don't know how much some of the details line up with our current understanding, but he at least did his homework at the time. Some of the proposed strategies in Robinson's books include thickening the atmosphere by redirecting and aerobraking comets/asteroids and melting the ice caps (water and, during winter, carbon dioxide) to ramp up greenhouse effects. If questions of how/when/whether to terraform and the politics of off-world expansion interest you, it's a good read.

As far as I'm aware, the current understanding is that terraforming would be pointless because Martian soil all over the planet is laced with toxic chemicals. Even with a denser, breathable atmosphere you'd still have to live in closed habitats and wear some kind of space suit to go outside. Assuming you can even keep the toxic fines out of your habitat to begin with.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 4, 2018

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I'm catching up and just finished ep2. Where did they get those plants from? I take it mars just never updates their encryption keys, they have had that ships for what? 6+ months now.

Kassad posted:

As far as I'm aware, the current understanding is that terraforming would be pointless because Martian soil all over the planet is laced with toxic chemicals. Even with a denser, breathable atmosphere you'd still have to live in closed habitats and wear some kind of space suit to go outside. Assuming you can even keep the toxic fines out of your habitat to begin with.

Yes, it would be easier to fix the Earth after global warming has reached a peak.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Also, Robinson wrote Aurora after he became aware of the perchlorate thing. It's also a good read.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
it seems to me that the ultimate point of spreading humanity across multiple planets (and eventually multiple solar systems) is less that it is easier to terraform a new home than maintaining whatever planet you're on, and more that it's an insurance against any incident that would wreck the planetary society past the point where it can recover on its own. The terraforming goal is just there to make the people actually tolerate living in a hostile environment and what the gently caress else would they be doing there?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
No, it's because it is what humans always do. Leaving the nest and finding a new space for ourselves. It is coded into us, like a virus.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They should learn from Seaquest that the ocean is humanity's next destination, not space.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://giant.gfycat.com/EnchantingEnlightenedFlies.mp4

:krad: wallrun from episode 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Rewatching the Nauvoo launch scene they reused the footage of the rocket drones latching on except all the lights on Nauvoo are off now.