Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Scorchy posted:

Something not necessarily apparent for Chanter multis is that mixing Skalds with ranged classes is a bad idea, their Invocations tend to have very short ranges. Skald+martial melee classes have great synergy though.

No it isn't, you just give them a shotgun or two, which means their autoattack has comparable range to most invocations. As a bonus, since blunderbusses are multihit weapons, you don't really lose out on crits and bonus phrases. And since you're jockeying for cone attacks anyways it's also easier to use powder burns. If you go for the fire resist and healing chants/invocations, you don't even have to care about friendly fire that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Has anyone had any experience making cipher multiclasses in the beta? None of the l8 or l9 cipher abilities seem like must-haves so I'm looking at trying to get my voodoo sharpshooter down with either beguiler/ranger (sharpshooter?) or beguiler / rogue (assassin?)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The big thing stopping me from going multiclass cipher is that you have to wait 5 more levels to get Amplified Wave. Unless they nerfed the gently caress out of it at which point given that they also nerfed Mental Binding what's the point of playing Cipher?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GrandpaPants posted:

The big thing stopping me from going multiclass cipher is that you have to wait 5 more levels to get Amplified Wave. Unless they nerfed the gently caress out of it at which point given that they also nerfed Mental Binding what's the point of playing Cipher?

It's kinda stealth nerfed in that they nerfed Prone, and it inflicts Prone.

A lot of other Cipher powers feel a lot stronger than they did in the first game though (I used Silent Scream a LOT in beta) so i'ts a mixed bag.

It looks like Defensive Mindweb is still just as amazing as it was in the first game though, and Time Parasite will probably be a lot better because there are fewer other sources of speed buffs now.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's kinda stealth nerfed in that they nerfed Prone, and it inflicts Prone.

A lot of other Cipher powers feel a lot stronger than they did in the first game though (I used Silent Scream a LOT in beta) so i'ts a mixed bag.

It looks like Defensive Mindweb is still just as amazing as it was in the first game though, and Time Parasite will probably be a lot better because there are fewer other sources of speed buffs now.

I guess the problem with these in POE1 is that there wasn't much use in using Defensive Mindweb when a Amplified Wave/Mental Binding/Whispers of Treason/Puppet Master shut down attacks entirely, meaning who cares how high your defense is nobody is going to attack. Time Parasite also felt like a "win more" button, since the initial blunderbuss salvo + amplified wave meant that it took 3-5 more blunderbussing to get back the focus to Time Parasite, at which point the fight was in cleanup mode. Silent Scream was also pretty good until I got AW, after which I never used it again. Mental Binding getting nerfed is gonna suck though since that was solid for the entire game.

I admit that I don't play on POTD though.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

So, apparently people are worried that PoTD is too easy, which doesn't affect me but seeing someone blaming that on Avellone leaving is pretty amusing to me because ???

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GrandpaPants posted:

I guess the problem with these in POE1 is that there wasn't much use in using Defensive Mindweb when a Amplified Wave/Mental Binding/Whispers of Treason/Puppet Master shut down attacks entirely, meaning who cares how high your defense is nobody is going to attack. Time Parasite also felt like a "win more" button, since the initial blunderbuss salvo + amplified wave meant that it took 3-5 more blunderbussing to get back the focus to Time Parasite, at which point the fight was in cleanup mode. Silent Scream was also pretty good until I got AW, after which I never used it again. Mental Binding getting nerfed is gonna suck though since that was solid for the entire game.

I admit that I don't play on POTD though.

No those are all pretty legit reasons even on POTD.

I'm hoping that MB gets a day-one-patch revision, honestly, it's extraordinarily lame in its current implementation -- the only really useful thing about it is the AoE hobbled, and even so it's too short duration to be useful.

I'm specifically thinking with an Ascendant build, time parasite as soon as you max out, then spamcast everything, and hopefully Parasite lasts long enough to help you get focus back for the next Ascend faster. Similarly, the division of afflictions means that you want a distributed set of affliction abilities -- you can't just rely on paralyze, you need blind, terrify, etc., also. And the Penetration system makes Raw damage more useful.

Basically the class crutches have been kicked away and we'll have to figure out how to make them walk and run again.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gorelab posted:

So, apparently people are worried that PoTD is too easy, which doesn't affect me but seeing someone blaming that on Avellone leaving is pretty amusing to me because ???

PoTD was too easy in the first game too.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

PoTD was too easy in the first game too.

To be fair, I have some troubles on normal because I honestly just kinda zone out with the amount of moving parts there are.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
There's two kinds of people in this thread. PotD is to easy and Normal is loving hard, you guys.

I think that says a lot about how hard the systems in PoE are to understand and use to gain an advantage. If you thoroughly understand them, even PotD offers no challenge. Otherwise, you're hosed regardless of difficulty.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

User0015 posted:

There's two kinds of people in this thread. PotD is to easy and Normal is loving hard, you guys.

I think that says a lot about how hard the systems in PoE are to understand and use to gain an advantage. If you thoroughly understand them, even PotD offers no challenge. Otherwise, you're hosed regardless of difficulty.

To be fair normal feels about right for my level of understanding/playstyle. Certain fights are kinda dumb till I figure out what's going on, but in general things aren't too bad outside of certain outliers. It works for 'Kinda understanding poo poo, but not going out of my way to really min/max'

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

User0015 posted:

Yeah, that's fair. I just meant, like, for people who want to play PotD, even PotD can get kinda easy, especially late game when you're blowing out the level scaling no matter what you set it to. Hopefully the upscaling in Deadfire will help that.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
PotD’s difficulty is front loaded. If Obsidian managed to make a better curve I will be ecstatic.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Part of why PotD is easy is having access to powerful equipment fairly early if you know what you're doing, which is fine by me. I don't want them to lock all the cool swords away behind a landslide in Double Oak or whatever. I'd much rather make all builds decently powerful and fun for everyone early on and just go for self-imposed challenge runs if I'm so inclined.

Also yeah difficulty is very front loaded, Tyranny had the same problem.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Obsidian said at least a few times that PotD probably wouldn't be finely tuned at launch, so I assume they'll be working on that as part of ongoing maintenance.

That said, the only time I tuned into the stream after the intro he lost 3 out of 4 party members to like 3 random rear end skeletons.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I find that the difference could also be in how much you micromanage the fights. Like I knew I had Sap and Knock Down as options, Sacred Immolation as an AOE, a druid, a cipher, and, uh, I guess the Ranger was pretty simple and just shits out autodamage. But I only ever used the Cipher to CC out the biggest threat or just use Amplified Wave to shut down the enemy group for however many seconds and do a fair chunk of damage, and I basically only used Moonwell and Returning Storm on Hiravias. I know that I COULD pause every 5 seconds and micro all my encounters and rest abilities, but really I just couldn't be bothered for every trash mob fight. It's why I'm eager to play around with the AI options to see if that, combined with the smaller ability list and party size, at least lets me use all the toys at my disposal.

What also helps is that doing White March content asap makes the entire rest of the game a breeze because the Soulbound equipment (most notably Stormcaller) is hilariously broken.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I desperately want to know if, as Cohhcarnage speculated, Instruments of Pain works with spiritshift claws.

That would be too beautiful for this dumb world.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Oo Koo posted:

No it isn't, you just give them a shotgun or two, which means their autoattack has comparable range to most invocations. As a bonus, since blunderbusses are multihit weapons, you don't really lose out on crits and bonus phrases. And since you're jockeying for cone attacks anyways it's also easier to use powder burns. If you go for the fire resist and healing chants/invocations, you don't even have to care about friendly fire that much.

I guess, but most offensive invocations are 2.5m range, that's pike distance to me, not blunderbluss.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Smaller party size and ability lists are both really lame and only multiclassing saves things. Single class builds seem dull as gently caress right now.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Gorelab posted:

So, apparently people are worried that PoTD is too easy
I think PotD is too easy, especially along sections of the critical path. That said, it is something we can easily work on for an early patch.

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/173590363081/cohcarnage-didnt-reload-on-potddid-you-tuned-down

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm kinda indifferent to difficulty in RPGs because its usually about tedium. I want the game hard enough I don't breeze through everything and have to think about combat, but high level optimal RPG play is usually kinda boring when its endless buffing or consumable usage. The battlefield puzzles of D:OS 1 was probably the most interesting RPG difficulty I've seen in ages but the sequel minimized it due to the weird gear curve.

In the age of the internet RPG difficulty also gets goofy because people will complain about easy games while also spending hours studying online theorycrafting and use the most broken builds. Makes me think a game with randomized numbers backing its mechanics would be amusing for throwing players back into the pre-internet mindset.

edit: GMG has Pillars 2 for a little cheaper with their MAY22 code.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 5, 2018

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

rope kid posted:

I think PotD is too easy, especially along sections of the critical path. That said, it is something we can easily work on for an early patch.

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/173590363081/cohcarnage-didnt-reload-on-potddid-you-tuned-down

What's the source of the issue? Too few enemies, not enough accuracy or defense bonuses, AI?

I caught a bit of that stream and didn't even realize it was on PotD

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PRELOADING ACTIVATED

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

rope kid posted:

You should have just said "we made it as hard as we possibly could... The guy must just be insanely good at the game! And if you find path of the damned easy, you must be insanely good too!" That would pacify them until you get the patch out

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i'm preloading this dang thing. when i backed this thing back in 2016 or whatever i really did wonder if this was even gonna happen. not to doubt obsidian but doubting the well-meaning nature of our cruel universe i half expected some terrible poo poo to go down that i'd never make it here.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

What's the source of the issue? Too few enemies, not enough accuracy or defense bonuses, AI?

I caught a bit of that stream and didn't even realize it was on PotD
Party AI being very good and aggressive does make the game a bit easier overall, but the main issue really is the number, variety, and placement of enemies. It's not enough for the enemies to have stat boosts if the party outnumbers them. PotD fights don't need to have hordes of enemies, but they do need to have enough that the player has to make difficult prioritization choices.

2house2fly posted:

You should have just said "we made it as hard as we possibly could... The guy must just be insanely good at the game! And if you find path of the damned easy, you must be insanely good too!" That would pacify them until you get the patch out
I think people would see through that and it's not honest. I deprioritized PotD tuning for reasons I think are justified, but I understand that will disappoint people in the short term until we can adjust the encounters.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Deprioritizing PoTD difficulty is probably a smart choice if it lead to better quality control elsewhere since I imagine that people who are all in on PoTD are a fairly small group even if they're also the most vocal group of fans.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Have we seen the tutorials before? I didn't notice them in past streams.

Nice addition. The game looks polished AF.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gorelab posted:

Deprioritizing PoTD difficulty is probably a smart choice if it lead to better quality control elsewhere since I imagine that people who are all in on PoTD are a fairly small group even if they're also the most vocal group of fans.
Well hopefully it's actually what's posted in ropekid's tumblr! It reads that it's just inconsistent but hopefully that just means inconsistent at various spots in critical path and not like, the last 50% of the game again.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

When this game comes out I'm going to play it quite a bit

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so uhh in game one, i just finshed the 3rd thing you have to investigate, now im headed back to defiance bay to talk to lady webb. how far in the base game am I? and how long is white march? wondering what my chances of finishing before tuesday are.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah might want to drop a few sidequests.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

eh im totally loving the playthrough so ill just truck along, story is getting real good, i know whats causing the hollowborn now i think.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

queeb posted:

so uhh in game one, i just finshed the 3rd thing you have to investigate, now im headed back to defiance bay to talk to lady webb. how far in the base game am I? and how long is white march? wondering what my chances of finishing before tuesday are.

Depends how much you're playing, but you're about 2/3-3/4 of the way through the base game. The expansions together are about half as long as the base game again.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

queeb posted:

That would depend on how much time you have over the weekend. I doubt you’d be able to do everything, but completing the critical path including WM isn’t out of the question.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

queeb posted:

eh im totally loving the playthrough so ill just truck along, story is getting real good, i know whats causing the hollowborn now i think.

I'd say you have ~20 hours for White March and ~10-15 for the main story remaining.

I clocked in at just over 60 hours for my run, but I did most side quests.

Edit: If you did just the critical path, you could probably do it in 20 or maybe less if you're fast.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

queeb posted:

You should probably do White March in between Act 2 and 3. It's best to do White March when you still have some game content left once you're done with it, because of Soulbound weapons.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah I figured I'd turn this quest in and then jump into white march and knock that out.

it sounds like rope kid is a dev on the game or something so I just wanna say A+ game, im glad i gave it a shot because im totally hooked now.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Savour the first game and expansion while you can, because apparently the gameplay improvements in the sequel make the original hard to go back to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Pillars having a weird reverse difficulty curve or frontloading the difficulty just makes it a D&D-based RPG, sorry, hth.

My personal preference for difficulty in Pillars 1 remains Hard. You still gotta pay at least some attention (at least until the end thanks to RPG difficulty curves), but you can get weird with your characters.

• Locked thread