Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Base fusion sports are $25k too now. If they didn't have such a poo poo radio and weigh 4200lbs I'd consider it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ford's gonna be cheap as gently caress next year.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Alright FiST owning goons, do any of you play hockey and if so can you fit your gear in the back? (assuming w/ seats folded down). Throwing hockey gear in the car once or twice a week will be the biggest thing I will generally haul in the car, as 90% of the time my car is just myself.

I have been mulling over a FiST or FoST as my next daily driver and finally got around to checking them out in person. I had been told I wouldn't like how small the FiST is (as I'm not a small guy), but after sitting in both, I honestly feel way more comfortable sitting in the FiST and the sight lines are significantly better. I still need to take one out for a test drive, but I'm holding out a bit, as I'm worried my self control will disappear if I get to take one out for a spin.

I've got a few different dealers that still have 2017 models that they seem very eager to get rid of as they already have 2018 models in stock.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

ManiacMatt posted:

Alright FiST owning goons, do any of you play hockey and if so can you fit your gear in the back? (assuming w/ seats folded down). Throwing hockey gear in the car once or twice a week will be the biggest thing I will generally haul in the car, as 90% of the time my car is just myself.

I have been mulling over a FiST or FoST as my next daily driver and finally got around to checking them out in person. I had been told I wouldn't like how small the FiST is (as I'm not a small guy), but after sitting in both, I honestly feel way more comfortable sitting in the FiST and the sight lines are significantly better. I still need to take one out for a test drive, but I'm holding out a bit, as I'm worried my self control will disappear if I get to take one out for a spin.

I've got a few different dealers that still have 2017 models that they seem very eager to get rid of as they already have 2018 models in stock.

I dont play hockey but I was able to close the hatch around a full sized water heater in box, hope this helps

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't play anymore, but I played for years. You can definitely fit a hockey bag, probably without putting the seats down.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 3, 2018

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If hockey gear for one person won't fit in a FiST with the seats folded down then hockey gear is way bigger than I ever would have guessed.

Here's my work gear going in the back:

The cart is 52" long extended for scale.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

Whelp, trunk is definitely bigger than it looked from the outside (I didn't show up with a bag to open the hatch and test). But I am feeling way more optimistic now that I'm seeing the above examples.

Now to convince my better half that the FiST will be the next car I buy. That will be harder part, as she doesn't drive standard, so I can just let her take it for a test drive to convince her.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I’m almost positive someone in this thread once posted about how they fit a few dudes and a bunch of hockey gear in the car for a road trip.

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

Perfect, thanks. Car play is literally all I need. I’ve thought about the recaro’s and heated stuff. I guess they would be nice, but hoping that sitting in one will help me decide.

I'm pretty sure the radio in the ST1 doesn't have integration, so for not a whole lot, you can upgrade the head unit to whatever you want.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I don't think you'll have too many issues with hockey bags, unless you are one giant dude and play goalie. I can fit 2 player bags in the back of mine.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

ManiacMatt posted:

Whelp, trunk is definitely bigger than it looked from the outside (I didn't show up with a bag to open the hatch and test). But I am feeling way more optimistic now that I'm seeing the above examples.

Now to convince my better half that the FiST will be the next car I buy. That will be harder part, as she doesn't drive standard, so I can just let her take it for a test drive to convince her.

I fit one of the grit mesh bags in mine with no issues. You'll just have to take off the cargo cover, it's a bit too low if you have a tall bag.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

ManiacMatt posted:

Buy mine!

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

ManiacMatt posted:

A FiST is the best car I've ever had by far, as a total package. Your self control will probably disappear, but that's a good thing because they are drat good cars for the money.

Buy the spyder's car, you know it was very well taken care of and Kona blue is the best color.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Kona blue is the best color.

Can confirm

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Edit: wrong thread!

Traded in my S3 for a 2018 Civic Si in the best color, Rallye Red. S3 was an amazing car, but kind of boring and expensive for a car I hardly drove.
Have a picture anyway:

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 6, 2018

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

Assuming I was entertaining this idea, what area of North America are we talking?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

ManiacMatt posted:

Assuming I was entertaining this idea, what area of North America are we talking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iVsdRbhnc

the state, IIRC

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ManiacMatt posted:

he's near PDX

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Coolnezzz posted:

Edit: wrong thread!

Traded in my S3 for a 2018 Civic Si in the best color, Rallye Red. S3 was an amazing car, but kind of boring and expensive for a car I hardly drove.
Have a picture anyway:

I was debating a gti or used golf r, but was offered a pretty good deal on a civic si later next month, what made you pick that if you don't mind my asking?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Edit: Double post, I'm dumb

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 6, 2018

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Man, I'm so ready for my lease to be up. 13 months to go. The GTI is a good car, but it's boring as poo poo as it doesn't really have any character. Everything on it's pretty good, but nothing really exceptional, and nothing to really complain about either. Maybe its just my AI ADD but I can't wait to get something else.

Absolutely feel this way coming from an e46. Gas mileage is great, everything works, but it has zero soul.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I was debating a gti or used golf r, but was offered a pretty good deal on a civic si later next month, what made you pick that if you don't mind my asking?

The Si is much cheaper to own and run and it's more fun to drive, to me. The VWs felt kind of like all of the controls were slightly disconnected from the driver's inputs, like there was a very slight delay. Too little feedback in the S3, no matter if I was in Dynamic mode or not, and I only went to the S3 from the GTI because I wanted to experience the haldex AWD and the DSG, which were both pretty decent but still just kind of boring to drive. The steering in the S3 was by far my least favorite part about it, I hear the Golf R is better but I never test drove one, and the GTI was good but not as good as my Fiesta ST. The DSG was having troubles with 3rd gear both before and after it was tuned, rather than starting down the path of getting it serviced I just parted it out then got rid of it instead. I'd only had the car since last September and drove it for about 3500 miles before I was over it.

Just tooling around town yesterday and today the Si feels more enjoyable or rewarding to drive to me, it's kind of hard to describe, it's more fun even though it's significantly down on power. With the mechanical LSD, close ratio gearing and really slick shifter, the Si is a loving blast at low speeds compared to the VWs. I still miss my Fiesta ST, I don't miss the VWs (yet), and the Si is pretty much more of the FiST just in a better package. I was considering another Miata but I do like to take passengers and stuff my car full of things occasionally, just not enough to have picked up the (very ugly) Civic Si sedan. The coupe looks better IMO, even with the silly wing.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Thanks! I'll have to give the si a test drive when I have a chance, especially if I can snag one with the performance package.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
A lot of "soul" is just a sketchy alignment imo

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Christobevii3 posted:

A lot of "soul" is just a sketchy alignment imo

I dunno, I think it's pretty accurate.

I've driven all of them on the street, and all but a FoST on track. The VAG cars are all probably 'better' but they're nowhere near as fun. They're just disconnected feeling.

Interiors are better, but they're just...cars.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
You add some camber for turn in and change the toe you have a more aggressive feel that the FoST has

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The FiST is downright nervous, it makes my S2000 feel incredibly stable.
And yes, the GTI is boring to drive, that's part of why I sold mine. Soul comes down to being playful and rev-happy, rather than something that runs out of breath up top, has little steering / pedal input feel, and has a heavy flywheel / software that makes the car take forever to rev match or hang revs.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 7, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

The FiST is downright nervous, it makes my S2000 feel incredibly stable.
And yes, the GTI is boring to drive, that's part of why I sold mine.

Yup. Mine is significantly less nervous with big front camber and higher rate progressive springs and better dampeners., but it can be a squirrelly car at high speeds. The rack is very fast and very numb.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It bobbles and darts around on the freeway with a feeling of lightness, which is somewhat annoying. When it torque vectors... like through a decreasing radius turn, it'll make you chuckle, something the GTI definitely does not do. It is a feeling of electronic wizardry.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crunchy Black posted:

Absolutely feel this way coming from an e46. Gas mileage is great, everything works, but it has zero soul.

i only had a 330i but i dont miss it over the gti

i'd say i miss having something RWD but not the e46 in any way

BlackMK4 posted:

It bobbles and darts around on the freeway with a feeling of lightness, which is somewhat annoying. When it torque vectors... like through a decreasing radius turn, it'll make you chuckle, something the GTI definitely does not do. It is a feeling of electronic wizardry.

gti gets that feeling right if you get the perf package

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I'm not sure how the PO of my car set things up to be so perfect, but on the highway my FiST is perfectly stable, and still lively as hell the second I decide to hoon.

Though honestly that may just be my inexperience with decent cars talking.

What's the smartish road to getting a little more from this thing? Tires-> access port -> miscellaneous cooling and turbo poo poo?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Boring is the last thing I would call my GTI. You guys are nuts. C/D had a recent comparison with Si and GTI. GTI won. I know, I know a car mag, bla bla. I've always liked their input on cars, however.

https://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2017-honda-civic-si-vs-2018-volkswagen-golf-gti-comparison-test

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

What's the smartish road to getting a little more from this thing? Tires-> access port -> miscellaneous cooling and turbo poo poo?

The AP will give you a lot more for the least money.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is the civic a hot hatch? The type R seems too expensive to me. Why can't they put a 2.4 L turbo in the cheap one. It can't cost any more money just drill bigger holes in the block.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dr.Caligari posted:

The AP will give you a lot more for the least money.

Totally disagree. Tires are by far the biggest performance upgrade. What use is more power if you still can’t put it down or corner faster?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Radiohead71 posted:

Boring is the last thing I would call my GTI. You guys are nuts. C/D had a recent comparison with Si and GTI. GTI won. I know, I know a car mag, bla bla. I've always liked their input on cars, however.

https://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2017-honda-civic-si-vs-2018-volkswagen-golf-gti-comparison-test

They specifically say that the Civic is more fun to drive, but the GTI wins elsewhere.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 8, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Is the civic a hot hatch? The type R seems too expensive to me. Why can't they put a 2.4 L turbo in the cheap one. It can't cost any more money just drill bigger holes in the block.

The Si is pretty warm, I'd say. Go drive one?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elephanthead posted:

It can't cost any more money just drill bigger holes in the block.

yeah that's not how it works exactly

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah that's not how it works exactly

Shush, you. If he wants to bore his block out for an extra liter of displacement, let him go for it. Please record the attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

KillHour posted:

go for it. Please record the attempt.