Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Want to know something really cool? Power armor is just a reshaped Skyrim horse. Shares a lot of the movement quirks too!

The grandest payoff of the "horse armor" saga.

oh gently caress right off how did i not realise this is exactly something they would do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Want to know something really cool? Power armor is just a reshaped Skyrim horse. Shares a lot of the movement quirks too!

I guess that makes sense. I had thought it was more like a werewolf or vampire. Climbing into the armor changed the characters "race" into "power armor wearer" or something, which used different animations/wore different clothing items. Unoccupied armor was basically furniture.

But then furniture that could equip armor would be the same as a mannequin, and we all know mannequins in Bethesda games are just non speaking npcs... so yeah.

loving horse armor.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It's funny to think that's where it all began. Some useless cosmetic skins that changed the appeareance of your horse and nothing else would eventually lead to what we see today. The piles of useless add-ons that just cost money, the lootbox controversy EA is dealing with, the conspercy theories about devs purposely cutting features to sell them piecemeal later down the line. All started with some crap around your horses in Oblivion.

I mean if Bethesda hadn't done it then I'm sure someone else would've but it still makes me laugh. I guess we should be thankful that they've just busied themselves trying to monitise mods since then instead of wedging lootcrates and other P2W poo poo in but who knows how long that will last.

I think around the time F3 was released Pete Hines mentioned that Horse Armor, despite all the flak they got over it, still regularly appeared high up on a list of 'best sellers' so there were plenty of players out there who would eat that poo poo up. Hardly surprising when we see what the gaming industry has morphed into today.

As for power armour being horses, hardly surprising and really what I suspected since the start. Makes sense really, just a horse that had it's skeleton rearranged - they had a system that worked in other games so why reinvent the wheel? No more zany than subway hat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shadow of War just completely patched out microtransactions and lootboxes from the game. I think the backlash with that (some of it being legal trouble rather than just market reaction) at least has been strong enough that games are going to take it more cautiously for a while.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

chitoryu12 posted:

Shadow of War just completely patched out microtransactions and lootboxes from the game. I think the backlash with that (some of it being legal trouble rather than just market reaction) at least has been strong enough that games are going to take it more cautiously for a while.

Its weird to see the kind of ripple effect this has had, like my girlfriend plays that Harry Potter phone game but there's been some huge public outcry about just how much microtransactions bullshit is in it which seems unthinkable for mobile. Maybe it's only when people care about the product (Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter) that they notice enough to call it out :shrug:

Oddly enough despite having lootboxes I find the Fallout mobile game to be pretty well-balanced without it. Not that there's much to do after the initial setup other than slowly build out and send your little guys on poorly-written quests so it's still a pretty empty experience, but it's not like buying $50 worth of nukabucks would actually make that experience better at all.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Its weird to see the kind of ripple effect this has had, like my girlfriend plays that Harry Potter phone game but there's been some huge public outcry about just how much microtransactions bullshit is in it which seems unthinkable for mobile. Maybe it's only when people care about the product (Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter) that they notice enough to call it out :shrug:

Oddly enough despite having lootboxes I find the Fallout mobile game to be pretty well-balanced without it. Not that there's much to do after the initial setup other than slowly build out and send your little guys on poorly-written quests so it's still a pretty empty experience, but it's not like buying $50 worth of nukabucks would actually make that experience better at all.

From what I've seen, I think there's been three major backlashes when it comes to microtransactions and paid DLC:

1. Microtransactions in single player games that serve to make it easier. I first remember this being a big thing when Dead Space 3 let you pay for crafting resources so you could buy your way to more powerful weapons.

2. Paid content in multiplayer games that gives you an advantage over unpaid content, which encourages people to pay because otherwise they don't have as much fun.

3. Lootboxes that have serious content or upgrades in them and can be optionally purchased with real money, which turns it into a form of gambling. This is what Battlefront 2 ended up doing.

War Thunder is a good example of a game that doesn't get this kind of backlash because they avoid falling into these three traps with their paid content. You can pay to accelerate yourself through the tiers (though it starts getting costly enough that you'll be paying hundreds of real dollars to research every vehicle for every nation), but every vehicle is paired up with vehicles of the same level so you can't just buy jets and start stomping on newbies in biplanes. The premium vehicles are generally balanced against the other vehicles at their tiers so you can't buy a premium plane or tank and start wrecking poo poo.

There also doesn't seem to be any backlash against paid expansions like what Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, and The Witcher 3 use to expand the story and worldspace. So I don't think paid content will ever go away, but there may be more caution from major developers against exploitative payments. I also don't think mobile games where you have to pay to do more than the bare minimum to qualify as a game will go away because those games are made by unscrupulous developers shoveling out addictive and simple games for cheap.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm gonna be honest, that sounds like a really clever way to implement that system.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm gonna be honest, that sounds like a really clever way to implement that system.
It is. We laugh about it and it is funny, but really all developers use duct-tape solutions or repurposes old code like this. The only reason we have examples like the metro-hat is because Bethesda's games with the toolset are so open and we can look inside and see what's going on.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 7, 2018

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

That's wonderful. This, more than anything else, may prompt me to actually try Fallout 4.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

There also doesn't seem to be any backlash against paid expansions like what Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, and The Witcher 3 use to expand the story and worldspace. So I don't think paid content will ever go away, but there may be more caution from major developers against exploitative payments. I also don't think mobile games where you have to pay to do more than the bare minimum to qualify as a game will go away because those games are made by unscrupulous developers shoveling out addictive and simple games for cheap.

In a former era those were called expansion packs and nobody has a problem with those, really. That's just like hey, that game you liked? Twenty bucks for more of it and some more toys in the game to play with. Buy it or don't. Up to you.

DLC got awful because some of it was useless crap that added no game play. Microtransactions and randomly interrupting the main game to encourage DLC purchases or outright taking things out during development to create DLC ahead of time are terrible practices. I'll gladly pay for expansion pack DLC for a game I like but if you have to nag at me or force it on me you've done something wrong. Make something I actually want rather than something I MUST buy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

chitoryu12 posted:

That's good but unfortunately it doesn't fix how the game was still designed in a manner to encourage the purchase of loot boxes.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The stupid poo poo Bethesda does to make stuff work in their janky engine is both amazing and awful.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Playing through NV with a new character. Someone convince me to play Honest Hearts again, instead of just looking up the Cave Father's journal online and calling it a day? For reference I don't use Guns except for shotguns, and I don't use melee/unarmed, so A Light Shining in Darkness/.45 weapons/Yao Guai Gauntlet is not all that appealing a reason.

It kind of makes HH seem like a weak point in terms of how DLC affects the main game. DM makes you rich/gives you a long term fountain of stimpacks and repair kits. OWB has a ton of great special perks, equipment of varying use, and The Sink. LR has some great equipment and a free SPECIAL point, and can radically effect your standing with Mojave factions. HH gives you... .45 weapons. Which are stellar and fun, don't get me wrong, but they seem like an underwhelming reward if you're not a Guns-centric player.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

The stupid poo poo Bethesda does to make stuff work in their janky engine is both amazing and awful.

All programming happens basically that way. Nature of the beast.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

That's good but unfortunately it doesn't fix how the game was still designed in a manner to encourage the purchase of loot boxes.

It totally doesn't though, it honestly feels like the developers made a complete game then begrudgingly slapped in microtransactions at the publisher's insistence. You can pretty much play the entire game purchasing nothing and never really be found wanting.

Riatsala posted:

Playing through NV with a new character. Someone convince me to play Honest Hearts again, instead of just looking up the Cave Father's journal online and calling it a day? For reference I don't use Guns except for shotguns, and I don't use melee/unarmed, so A Light Shining in Darkness/.45 weapons/Yao Guai Gauntlet is not all that appealing a reason.

It kind of makes HH seem like a weak point in terms of how DLC affects the main game. DM makes you rich/gives you a long term fountain of stimpacks and repair kits. OWB has a ton of great special perks, equipment of varying use, and The Sink. LR has some great equipment and a free SPECIAL point, and can radically effect your standing with Mojave factions. HH gives you... .45 weapons. Which are stellar and fun, don't get me wrong, but they seem like an underwhelming reward if you're not a Guns-centric player.

You could play it the way far too many people did due to a glitch and just open fire on Follows-Chalk the first time you see him, then go kill Joshua and Daniel and call it a day :haw:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Riatsala posted:

"Take drugs, kill a bear!"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Riatsala posted:

Well, it also give you The Desert Ranger Combat armor, which is a game changer at early levels: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Desert_Ranger_combat_armor

Heck, I liked the way it looked so much I kept it as my main armor right up to the end game.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Riatsala posted:

Playing through NV with a new character. Someone convince me to play Honest Hearts again,

Meh. The writing is pretty good but the gameplay is done-it-all-before.

A dude posted:

You could play it the way far too many people did due to a glitch and just open fire on Follows-Chalk the first time you see him

Not a glitch so much as crappy design. At the start of Honest Hearts, you are attacked by some dudes. After that, you run into a dude who looks just like those dudes, so your first instinct is to shoot him, but gently caress you, he's plot-centric but doesn't have Plot Armor, time to reload.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Riatsala posted:

Why do anything in the game really? Much more productive to use your time for other things.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Not a glitch so much as crappy design. At the start of Honest Hearts, you are attacked by some dudes. After that, you run into a dude who looks just like those dudes, so your first instinct is to shoot him, but gently caress you, he's plot-centric but doesn't have Plot Armor, time to reload.
Not crappy design, so much as dumb players not paying attention. :colbert: You ought to be ashamed firing at the dude who gave a friendly wave at you after clunking one of your ambushers on the head.
He was actually supposed to have the Essential flag and supposedly had one in the version of the DLC Obsidian send to Bethesda according to Ropekid. Yet somehow that flag was removed in the release version.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'll say this, Honest hearts has the best scenery in new vegas. Zion valley is pretty to look at (compared to the base game and the other dlcs)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wolfsheim posted:

You could play it the way far too many people did due to a glitch and just open fire on Follows-Chalk the first time you see him, then go kill Joshua and Daniel and call it a day :haw:

Oh man, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who made/almost made this mistake the first time I played. Poor Follows-Chalk was a split second away from having his head blown off in VATS before I noticed that he, unlike all the other guys who just tried to kill me, had a name and was thus probably important.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, it also give you The Desert Ranger Combat armor, which is a game changer at early levels: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Desert_Ranger_combat_armor

Heck, I liked the way it looked so much I kept it as my main armor right up to the end game.

Oooh, I forgot about that. Yeah. I want that. I already have comparable armor but it looks like poo poo by comparison.

Wolfsheim posted:

Ha! I'd never heard of that. I think I'll just play it again because it's a nice break from the generally stressful mechanics of the other three DLCs *and* I have the animal friend perk, so I think that'll be funny.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Riatsala posted:

Oooh, I forgot about that. Yeah. I want that. I already have comparable armor but it looks like poo poo by comparison.

Good plan, in my humble opinion the Desert Ranger Combat Armor is both the coolest looking and most aesthetically appropriate armor in all of New Vegas.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Honest Hearts also has some great survival recipes, like the Healing Poultice.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Honest Hearts also has some great survival recipes, like the Healing Poultice.

Short of installing dust I don't know why I'd need great survival anything, it's not like any fallout survival mode is resource short in any way

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Wolfsheim posted:

It totally doesn't though, it honestly feels like the developers made a complete game then begrudgingly slapped in microtransactions at the publisher's insistence. You can pretty much play the entire game purchasing nothing and never really be found wanting.

A lot of people said the game had significantly more grind than the first blocking off progress. The claim is that they put in more grind to encourage people to effectively skip it via loot box purchases. I dunno how true that is but the impression I got is the game very much suffered from the presence of microtransactions even if you completely ignored them.

double nine posted:

I'll say this, Honest hearts has the best scenery in new vegas. Zion valley is pretty to look at (compared to the base game and the other dlcs)

I agree but that isn't really saying much since most of New Vegas is pretty ugly.

Azhais posted:

Short of installing dust I don't know why I'd need great survival anything, it's not like any fallout survival mode is resource short in any way

Role-playing. Its nice to have options for different characters.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Having HH installed also gives you access to a low-level antivenom that lets you moonwalk through the goodsprings cazadores.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neurolimal posted:

Having HH installed also gives you access to a low-level antivenom that lets you moonwalk through the goodsprings cazadores.

Snakebite Tourniquets come from Lonesome Road, I believe.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Riatsala posted:

I think HH suffers the most from the "DLCs not being able to seriously affect core-game content" rule. the whole expansion is the redemption story of Joshua Graham, which should have huge repercussions in the main game. instead you get a few self-contained stories and a kickass new gun/armor, but then it's over and there's zero reason to ever go back there again.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Azhais posted:

it's less survival-mode stuff, and more stuff you can craft with the survival skill to heal or get rid of debuffs, which is always handy

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

It's kinda funny that all of the NV DLCs seem to have a built-in 'hey, survival isn't useless! look!' recipe or perk, but it really is extremely situational at the best of times, even if you're playing on hardcore mode.

It's actually one of the few things that 4 does a lot better with its survival mode, making it so you can't just hammer stimpaks and actually have to seek out and cook food (or carry a bunch of junk food but that's more of a hassle).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Neurolimal posted:

That's an interesting red text you got there.

Wolfsheim posted:

It's kinda funny that all of the NV DLCs seem to have a built-in 'hey, survival isn't useless! look!' recipe or perk, but it really is extremely situational at the best of times, even if you're playing on hardcore mode.

It's actually one of the few things that 4 does a lot better with its survival mode, making it so you can't just hammer stimpaks and actually have to seek out and cook food (or carry a bunch of junk food but that's more of a hassle).

I like that the New Vegas DLC added several perks that just let cannibals eat more things. They aren't worth taking from a practical standpoint but if you happen to be role-playing as an insane survivalist they are great.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

I like that the New Vegas DLC added several perks that just let cannibals eat more things. They aren't worth taking from a practical standpoint but if you happen to be role-playing as an insane survivalist they are great.
You don't need the Cannibal perk for radroach eating.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Internet Kraken posted:

That's an interesting red text you got there.

The one problem with "Them's good eaten'" (I'm assuming that's the perk you're talking about) is that unlike regular cannibalism no one freaks out about it. I mean, when I take "thin red paste" off a raider or a legion solider that's clearly what I'm doing, I'm eating them, I'm harvesting their blood for food. Why is everyone cool with THIS kind of cannibalism but not the other kind!? make up your minds people!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
From what I remember the DLC added a perk that let you take "snacks" off corpses, one that let you eat bugs, and another that let you eat mutants. At least I think those were all DLC but I might be wrong.

The last two are just for immersion but the snack perk was actually really good I think since it gave you another source of portable healing.

The one problem with "Them's good eaten'" (I'm assuming that's the perk you're talking about) is that unlike regular cannibalism no one freaks out about it. I mean, when I take "thin red paste" off a raider or a legion solider that's clearly what I'm doing, I'm eating them, I'm harvesting their blood for food. Why is everyone cool with THIS kind of cannibalism but not the other kind!? make up your minds people!

Maybe they just think you're looting them for valuables, a perfectly acceptable act in all Fallout societies.

I like the quest in New Vegas that has you recover a soldier's body for burial. They don't care if you blow all the limbs and head off the corpse, and If you have the cannibal perk you can eat it. So they sent me out to recover a soldier for a respectful funeral and I brought back a mangled torso that presumably had a huge chunk chomped out of its stomach. They were perfectly fine with that.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
At least it's something they can bury.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The gently caress!? How the hell am I just finding out about this armor?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I think HH suffers the most from the "DLCs not being able to seriously affect core-game content" rule.

Well I mean there is the whole "you can launch a nuclear attack on either or both of two of the most important factions in the game" thing from Lonesome Road.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

funny thing is that from a gameplay perspective, it pays to nuke both, since doing so opens up two areas for looting that are otherwise inaccessible and have some neat gear in them. Nuke the world and profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

double nine posted:

funny thing is that from a gameplay perspective, it pays to nuke both, since doing so opens up two areas for looting that are otherwise inaccessible and have some neat gear in them. Nuke the world and profit.

I actually really like it when the "evil dickbag" option nets you the most benefits and "total good guy" nets you next to none. It means the writers are confident enough in their writing to let its survival be its own benefit. Shifts the decision from "I should be good because that gives the most rewards" to "I'm going to be good because I like the story/these characters".

That's something that Bethesda sometimes but too-rarely understands. They need to be willing to do more stuff like the Dream Crusher perk, and less of the "Be evil = get half the reward now, be good = get the full quest and more rewards".

Planescape and Mask of the Betrayer were pretty good about this, too. NieR's final ending where you save Khaine was locked behind needing to erase your save and your character's existence, which was extremely cool for a game to offer.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 8, 2018