Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I have an editor friend that is wanting a good 40" + viewing "monitor" for clients. 4K - as high quality as he can get. It would likely be mounted up above his monitors so viewing angle (and of course a good mount) would be important. He's starting to dabble in Resolve so color accuracy is important too.

Budget is $4,000 or less. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Does he already have a black magic output box? If not, part of the budget should be allocated to that. Can't help with the TV sorry, I'm out of the loop so I'll be interested in the answers too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Does he already have a black magic output box? If not, part of the budget should be allocated to that. Can't help with the TV sorry, I'm out of the loop so I'll be interested in the answers too.

Yep the output box is taken care of. He has one already from his previous build, but I'm looking at putting in a black magic card into his new build.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 26, 2018

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I don't think he's going to be able to get anything accurate enough to color grade with at that size with that budget, pretty much the cheapest broadcast monitor I know of in that size is a Flanders Scientific AM420 and those are like $4,500 (and 1920 x 1080). If it's just for client viewing and he's not actually grading off it I've found Sharp TVs give you more available picture adjustment options to get an image dialed in than most other brands.

EDIT: I've heard good things about Samsung's 9000 line as well.

Gunjin fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 26, 2018

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Gunjin posted:

I don't think he's going to be able to get anything accurate enough to color grade with at that size with that budget, pretty much the cheapest broadcast monitor I know of in that size is a Flanders Scientific AM420 and those are like $4,500 (and 1920 x 1080). If it's just for client viewing and he's not actually grading off it I've found Sharp TVs give you more available picture adjustment options to get an image dialed in than most other brands.

Yeah I think he's looking more towards client monitor than actual grading monitor. He just wanted it to be color accurate "enough" for clients. We have an FSI 17" CM and it's great and I recommended he go that route if he wants to do real color grading. He's got a 32" Sharp 4K monitor as his main monitor right now.

What about an LG 4K OLED? Would that be dumb for a preview monitor? Should be UI and bug-less so IR wouldn't be that much of a concern.

edit: Yeah if the LG 4K OLED is a bad choice I was looking at the Samsung 9XXX series

edit 2: Just talked to him again and we're going to do an EIZO or FSI small monitor for grading and a good high end TV as a client monitor.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 26, 2018

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Can't speak to the LG OLED, not used them. OLED do have great blacks, but definitely look at whatever one you want in person, the consumer models sometimes have anti-glare coatings that can add a bit of a color tint. I'd say his best bet might be to just go down to the local electronics store and play around with a few of the demo models. Make sure they have easily accessible RGB adjustments and the ability to turn off all the various 240Hz and smoothing poo poo that manufacturers love to put on there, that the backlight bleed isn't crazy, and the viewing angle isn't poo poo.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Guys, what does the “slate” section of some clapperboards refer to? Hard to google because slate also means clapperboard, heh.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Ahhhhh poo poo I found it right after. Seems to be a non-US thing for shot number of the day (but not scene)

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Yeah there are two systems.

Either Scene > Shot > Take or Slate > Take.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Hope this is cool to post up, but I built a teleprompter (based on the Indy Mogul build) and created a vlog + How-To type video. First video of this type that I've ever done, but I had a lot of fun doing it and really want to do more of this type of stuff. What could I have done differently in this video? Does it suck, or does it work?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 5, 2024

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Cool!I liked it and I think it works overall. You make good use of b-roll and on-screen text to keep things moving and informative. But you want critiques! So:

I think the number one area I think you could improve on is audio. Your mix isn't bad, but there are some places where it doesn't feel deliberate. On a couple of your overdubs, your voice is panned to one side—you can get away with that a little more in when you're in the moment and we can tell you're talking from behind/the side of the camera, but it seems strange when it's voice over. The more subscribers you have, the more people will bring it up in the comments, so it's best to just get ahead of it.

Your music also doesn't seem tied to anything in particular. At 3:15ish, your background music ends while you're in the middle of explaining something, and a new song (or the same song?) just starts playing after a few seconds of silence. If you want to switch songs, you should probably pick a scene change (like going from the Lowes or whatever to your house) and transition them during that, or if you want to keep the same song throughout then find a way to loop a middle segment so it doesn't start and stop somewhere weird. Personally, I would go for the first option: it gives each scene its own sound, and it'll help keep viewers less likely to click away by breaking up the video into segments that don't seem as long, even if the overall runtime is the same.

I would also try to keep your voice as consistent as possible throughout the video. I know it's tough when you're recording in different environments with different mics, but once you get into the segment where you're on the couch addressing the camera, you lose a lot of the highs and clarity in your voice. Adding a little EQ boost at 6 or 8kHz would probably bring that back and help you sound more like the other sections, and make the transition seem less jarring even if there's still a quality jump.

There are also a few audio cuts that could use some fades to make them less jarring (3:33 is a good example: just extend the audio a few frames earlier and fade in so you don't chop off the beginning of the word; 6:44 is another spot where the audio could use some massaging)

For non-audio notes, I'd say that it would help if you plotted out what you're going to say even if you don't script it word for word. You don't have to do this for everything—all the little in-the-moment quips are good because your personality shines through (which is what helps you get viewers!), but when you're describing the next step, it's obvious that you're thinking about what exactly you're going to say. I can tell you're aware that jump cuts are part of the YouTube style, so use that to its fullest advantage! You don't have to have a single perfect take, so do multiples and cut everything to make yourself sound as confident as possible. You nail this once you finally have your teleprompter built (aside from a couple small moments like at 5:50), but the more you can bring that same feel in beforehand, the better.

For your on-screen text, always be aware of the readability. Yours is good on this for the most part, but for times like 6:00, the spacing on "can beused" and the moving text in the background make it a little tough. Popping a slightly blurred adjustment layer behind the text and masking it to be only behind the text or adding a little bit of a black stroke are my go-tos, but there are tons of solutions to that particular problem.

Also, I just noticed that when you're on the couch, there's a little line at the bottom of the screen. Not sure what it is, but it looks like there's a layer behind your video, and your video got nudged up by a few pixels.

Keep in mind that most of that is pretty nitpicky—overall, I think it's a good video! Your production quality is good, you have plenty of nice, fun moments, and you got another subscriber out of it!

(it's me, i'm the new subscriber)

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Thank you so much for writing out those comments! And thank for subscribing. :woop:

About the audio. I see (hear) what you're talking about. I mostly used my GH5's internal mic, and since it's on one side of the camera it leads to all sorts of weird issues. I was thinking of lav'ing myself up, but thought I'd try to use just the internal mic for the walking/working parts. Do you think it'd be better to get a small shotgun mic and mount it to my GH5's hotshoe (like this SGM-250CX) so I can get a more consistent sound? I used my lav on the couch scene, but recorded it a bit low and had to turn up the volume in post. I also suck at improving audio in post, and the Rode FIlmmaker kit lav mic is kinda... meh. It does muffle the audio more than I'd like.

Re: the on-screen text- partly my fault because of my choice in font (Bebas). You probably can't see it, but each space is actually a double-space, and as you pointed out it's still not doing a great job separating each sentence. I'll probably use a different font going forward. Your suggestions about making the text more readable are very good and I'll incorporate it for the next one.

Admittedly, I did get a bit lazy with the music (I just looped one single song from Artlist.io). But I can totally see how changing it up would really improve the video. And yeah, that comp did get nudge up a few pixels somehow. Just checked my original .aep file. :suicide:

Again, I can't thank you enough for this critique. It's really helpful.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 7, 2018

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

A small shotgun might help, but it's a lot more directional so it'd be harder to get good stuff that's not right in front of the camera. The lav isn't a bad option, but it's hard when you're doing run-and-gun stuff because you end up with a lot of clothing rustle. To start, you might just try summing the stereo audio from the camera into mono—everything will be definitely be centered, although your voice might be lost in the room sound. You could also just take the channel with more of your voice (left, in the case) and just use that. Assuming you're using Premiere, there's a Fill Right With Left filter you can use that'll do it for you. It's hard to tell what would be best without exactly knowing your setup in particular, but I think with some experimentation (and a good pair of headphones) you'll be able to figure out how to get something good and consistent out of your setup!

p.s. I totally recognized the Bebas—I also use it a ton, and I think it's a good choice! Just gotta work with its quirks, I guess. :v:

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

CaptainViolence posted:

A small shotgun might help, but it's a lot more directional so it'd be harder to get good stuff that's not right in front of the camera. The lav isn't a bad option, but it's hard when you're doing run-and-gun stuff because you end up with a lot of clothing rustle. To start, you might just try summing the stereo audio from the camera into mono—everything will be definitely be centered, although your voice might be lost in the room sound. You could also just take the channel with more of your voice (left, in the case) and just use that. Assuming you're using Premiere, there's a Fill Right With Left filter you can use that'll do it for you. It's hard to tell what would be best without exactly knowing your setup in particular, but I think with some experimentation (and a good pair of headphones) you'll be able to figure out how to get something good and consistent out of your setup!

p.s. I totally recognized the Bebas—I also use it a ton, and I think it's a good choice! Just gotta work with its quirks, I guess. :v:

You don't want to sum stereo if you can help it - you're likely to get phase issues (even if you don't notice them). Better to just use one channel or the other.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Are there any major bugs in the latest Premiere update from April? I've searched around but haven't seen much and am about to pull the trigger on upgrading all my machines. OS 10.13.3

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know when it started but our Premiere installs have a fun bug where audio doesn't work unless you solo/unsolo at least one track in your sequence every time you open a project.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hey does the full version of mocha support more codecs than the free version packaged with AE?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

powderific posted:

I don't know when it started but our Premiere installs have a fun bug where audio doesn't work unless you solo/unsolo at least one track in your sequence every time you open a project.

Ours did this with the latest update to.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey does the full version of mocha support more codecs than the free version packaged with AE?

I can't even remember at this point, but I *think* the plugin version supports whatever AE supports now.

Meaning the plugin version of Mocha Pro vs the standalone... *not* the "packaged with AE free version" plugin.

edit: Also Mocha Pro is the best purchase for AE I've ever made. Ever. I use it every day. It's amazing.

edit 2: Yes, confirmed via the site, the plugin version supports any codec the hosts support.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 10, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BonoMan posted:

I can't even remember at this point, but I *think* the plugin version supports whatever AE supports now.

Meaning the plugin version of Mocha Pro vs the standalone... *not* the "packaged with AE free version" plugin.

edit: Also Mocha Pro is the best purchase for AE I've ever made. Ever. I use it every day. It's amazing.

edit 2: Yes, confirmed via the site, the plugin version supports any codec the hosts support.

Cheers. Yeah mocha is fantastic, I just wish they'd support a bunch of formats like mxf

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Cheers. Yeah mocha is fantastic, I just wish they'd support a bunch of formats like mxf

The plug-in does. I use MXF almost exclusively.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BonoMan posted:

The plug-in does. I use MXF almost exclusively.

Really? I always got black screens across multiple machines...

e: wait do you mean the avid plugin? I've been trying in after effects, because nuts to doing complex composites in avid

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Really? I always got black screens across multiple machines...

e: wait do you mean the avid plugin? I've been trying in after effects, because nuts to doing complex composites in avid

No I mean in AE. But I'm not talking about "Mocha AE"... The free thing that comes built in to AE CC. I'm talking about the $700 Mocha Pro plugin. Mocha used to be only stand-alone or the mocha AE add-in. However with the latest releases of it they offer a pro version that acts as a plugin within AE... And that is what supports whatever codec AE supports.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BonoMan posted:

No I mean in AE. But I'm not talking about "Mocha AE"... The free thing that comes built in to AE CC. I'm talking about the $700 Mocha Pro plugin. Mocha used to be only stand-alone or the mocha AE add-in. However with the latest releases of it they offer a pro version that acts as a plugin within AE... And that is what supports whatever codec AE supports.

Awesome, well I'm sold then. Cheers

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Awesome, well I'm sold then. Cheers

A worthy investment. Your world will change when you learn to master the Remove module!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 13, 2018

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

powderific posted:

jfc

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

oh hai i see you're new to cc updates

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

its just surprising something as major as this didn't get patched up once they got back from nab

i mean the whole point of CC (besides taking my money) has been to have more update rollouts to fix this garbage

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
This isn't the most complex use case, but here's a great example of Mocha Pro's remove in action.

Seriously a great investment.

https://borisfx.com/videos/removing...move-objects-ae

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hey, I've got some experience with audio production (mainly Ableton and Logic Pro), and am currently using Hitfilm Pro for some hobby-level stuff (for now, haven't decided what direction I wanna go yet). Is there a lightweight program I could use for making quick edits (like trimming the ends, grabbing a clip, etc.) where I don't have to spend time creating a project etc.? Like an Audacity equivalent?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hey, I've got some experience with audio production (mainly Ableton and Logic Pro), and am currently using Hitfilm Pro for some hobby-level stuff (for now, haven't decided what direction I wanna go yet). Is there a lightweight program I could use for making quick edits (like trimming the ends, grabbing a clip, etc.) where I don't have to spend time creating a project etc.? Like an Audacity equivalent?

Resolve? It's free and uses fusion, if you have any interest in that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lizard Combatant posted:

Resolve? It's free and uses fusion, if you have any interest in that.

Hadn't heard of Fusion, it looks really cool tho. I could definitely see getting more into that. I'll have to play around with it.

I'll check out Resolve, thanks!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hope you don't mind me sharing another review video here- this time it's for the Ikan DS2-A with the "angled" motor. I incorporated a lot your feedback (mostly relating to the readability of the text). I'm not thrilled with my spoken audio since a lot of mouth-wind was picked up during my reading and I didn't feel like re-recording the audio.

Better review video style? Worse?

And if anyone's wondering- the Ikan DS2A is a very "meh" gimbal. Better off saving up and getting the Ronin-S, if you really want a gimbal with the angled motor. It barely keeps up with the Zhiyun Crane V2.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 11, 2024

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I've asked a similar question like this before, but now I have a better example. I want to create sliding image transitions as natural and smooth as the ones in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mdgdg8hwuM

I even clipped it and tried doing it directly over it with an image I had lying around with the same number of frames and Ease In and Ease Out

What can I do to match that slide?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

Hope you don't mind me sharing another review video here- this time it's for the Ikan DS2-A with the "angled" motor. I incorporated a lot your feedback (mostly relating to the readability of the text). I'm not thrilled with my spoken audio since a lot of mouth-wind was picked up during my reading and I didn't feel like re-recording the audio.

Better review video style? Worse?

And if anyone's wondering- the Ikan DS2A is a very "meh" gimbal. Better off saving up and getting the Ronin-S, if you really want a gimbal with the angled motor. It barely keeps up with the Zhiyun Crane V2.

I think this is a way better style than the first one (about the fs5 I think?)—it's nice seeing you out in the world using it and I think it's a lot more engaging than hanging out in a sorta studio setting just talking about it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Unmature posted:

I've asked a similar question like this before, but now I have a better example. I want to create sliding image transitions as natural and smooth as the ones in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mdgdg8hwuM

I even clipped it and tried doing it directly over it with an image I had lying around with the same number of frames and Ease In and Ease Out

What can I do to match that slide?

I'm phone posting, but essentially ease in/out only get you so far. You can edit the curves in the graph editor to get more responsive eases.

Or go get Motion 2 from Mt. Mograph and change your world!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

powderific posted:

I think this is a way better style than the first one (about the fs5 I think?)—it's nice seeing you out in the world using it and I think it's a lot more engaging than hanging out in a sorta studio setting just talking about it.
Really glad to hear that. Thank you. It did take more work to put together, but I think anyone watching the video will get a lot more out of it, which is what I'm really hoping for.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I'm phone posting, but essentially ease in/out only get you so far. You can edit the curves in the graph editor to get more responsive eases.

Or go get Motion 2 from Mt. Mograph and change your world!

I was messing with velocity earlier and I like what I was able to do but don't love it. Gonna look into Motion 2, thanks!

EDIT: ah, that pack is for After Effects. I have been finally learning that lately but right now I'm trying to figure out smoother transitions in Premiere.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
There's a certain text effect I'm trying to learn how to do. It's in a bunch of stuff, but the only example I could find quickly was the Life After People title here (1:07 if the timestamp doesn't work):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQOAhyqPw5k&t=67s

That frenetic flashy defocusing and stuff. Is there a term for that? Is there something I could look up to learn how to do it, or am i gonna have to reverse engineer/hack it and just git gud?

I can definitely-probably piece together my own version of the effect but if there's some proven techniques that would help, it'd save me some time/headache