Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ersatz posted:

Yeah, violent revolution always works out for the best, and has never once gone horrifically wrong for everyone involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

zeal posted:

yeah, so the belters should overthrow capitalist inner imperialism and seize control of the means of food production

having the PM only helps with that, what's your point

:iiam:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ersatz posted:

Yeah, violent revolution always works out for the best, and has never once gone horrifically wrong for everyone involved.

E: Beaten, but the point stands.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ersatz posted:

Yeah America sucks

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I'm helping

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

Ersatz posted:

I mean, it *has* worked in the past. By no means a perfect record, but still.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

The tumblr/Twitter loving love making GBS threads on diverse shows for some reason. Hell, just look at the first few pages of this thread for the same garbage.
I think I proposed a good explanation for that upthread: if you try for a diverse show, you signal you are open to demands from the demo that criticizes you for lack of diversity. Duck dynasty will never have that problem, because their viewers don’t care about that criticism and people who do are not watching duck dynasty.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Lmao so I just discovered this show, thought it was cool and thought I'd check if there was a thread for it. Glad to see you all are enjoying the television show as well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

spiderbyte posted:

I mean, it *has* worked in the past. By no means a perfect record, but still.

That's sort of a thing though, the American revolution is one of the vanishingly few that basically worked out okay, no terror or immediate collapse or anything, so it fools people into thinking revolutions are good when usually they go really badly for most people involved.

That said if anyone wants to eat the rich, I'm on board.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

let us repurpose them instead

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It didn't work out very well for the blacks and natives though, did it?

Wasn't a very big factor in breaking away the Somerset judgement, and the desire to exploit the natives?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Collateral posted:

It didn't work out very well for the blacks and natives though, did it?

Wasn't a very big factor in breaking away the Somerset judgement, and the desire to exploit the natives?

This is why I said basically okay, not completely.

And it's not like slavery didn't exist prior to independence, or that the Europeans didn't exploit the natives. The revolution achieved its goals without descending into a reign of terror and purges or the country collapsing into anarchy. And the civil war which almost inevitably follows a revolution took a long time to happen, and again didn't destroy the place.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 8, 2018

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

This is why I said basically okay, not completely.

And it's not like slavery didn't exist prior to independence, or that the Europeans didn't exploit the natives.

They did indeed, much to our shame.

I think the view that it was clean in nature was because the loyalists were able to flee to Canada, so the retributions of normal revolutions was muted.

They did return eventually, mostly joining the Federalist Party.

edit: doh

Collateral fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 8, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Collateral posted:

They did indeed, much to our shame.

I think the view that it was clean in nature was because the loyalist were able to flee to Canada, so the retributions of normal revolutions was muted.

They did return eventually, forming the Federalist Party.

That definitely helped. The peaceful way the loyalists left and were even compensated for their lost property prevented one of the major ways revolutions fail.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Revolutionary War was also rather low on the "active disdain for the individuals making up the other side" part right? Everyone understood it was mostly about political and economic stuff, not that the other side was subhuman scum worthy of extermination, or the culmination of a centuries-long hatred between two groups.

And this is not about a restricted war, it's about weapons of mass destruction that inherently cannot be scaled below a "genocide" setting.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I liked the part where the spaceship shot missiles like *WHOOSH* and then the other spaceship exploded.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

bloom posted:

I liked the part where the spaceship shot missiles like *WHOOSH* and then the other spaceship exploded.

same OP

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bloom posted:

I didn’t like that part.

Space shouldn’t have sound.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Platystemon posted:

I didn’t like that part.

Space shouldn’t have sound.

The missile makes a sound if you're on the missile!

I thought the bit in the last episode where Holden felt the vibration of the crew member banging the wall was done really well. Same with the scene where the marines pressed their helmets together to talk without radio.

Also lots of other revolutions failed because america was actively working to make sure they failed

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

NZAmoeba posted:

I thought the bit in the last episode where Holden felt the vibration of the crew member banging the wall was done really well. Same with the scene where the marines pressed their helmets together to talk without radio.

Agreed 100%.

And that shot last week of zooming in through the hole from a railgun into the broken ship was really really good. The cinematography has been worlds better this season. You can see the showrunners and crew getting better through the seasons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Holden's fight with the marine was really cool and vicious for how short it was.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Holden's fight with the marine was really cool and vicious for how short it was.

if there were any martian marines on the boat other than bobbie that attempted holdup could've gotten significantly uglier

the rescue martians were all sailors like alex

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I did find it weird how quickly not-daniel bruhl recognized avasarala. How many people do you know who can identify current UN leadership at a glance?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

zeal posted:

if there were any martian marines on the boat other than bobbie that attempted holdup could've gotten significantly uglier

the rescue martians were all sailors like alex

And greenhorns, at that. If an officer had survived they might've taken the Tachi/Roci/Penis...
:pwn:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I did find it weird how quickly not-daniel bruhl recognized avasarala. How many people do you know who can identify current UN leadership at a glance?

Maybe they have a Earth leadership deck of cards?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Arcsquad12 posted:

If I understand correctly, the UN is a lot more important in The Expanse Earth than it is in our actual world. Inst it like a global government in the show universe?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Yeah it's not so far-fetched, it'd be like a Russian soldier today recognising the American vice-president.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Also Avasarala was a face of the UN on the newsfeeds, remember her propagandizing about Fred Johnson in previous seasons?

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Yeah it's not so far-fetched, it'd be like a Russian soldier today recognising the American vice-president.

Exactly this. Especially if there are only really two major governments, and they are kinda sorta at war right now.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
edit: oops wrong thread

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Maybe like the US Secretary of State or something. Not the same role, but about that level. Errinwright is the vice-president undersecretary. Avasarala is explicitly number three in the UN government (and the top un-elected post, incidentally).

And the UN in this show is pretty clearly a nation- and a superpower in the system at that. Comparing it to the current UN is going to throw you off.

So yeah, it's quite likely that she'd be immediately recognized by a martian grunt.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

It's the rapid succession of :
This is the Tachi
You're James Holden
That's a Recon Marine
That's the UN 3rd in command

that was really neat. Poor Martian sailor wouldn't of been surprised if the Easter Bunny stepped out next from behind the bulkhead.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

And greenhorns, at that. If an officer had survived they might've taken the Tachi/Roci/Penis...
:pwn:

nah, if their lieutenant had survived he would've just died horribly to Amos when things dragged on long enough for him to get there in time

e:

Eiba posted:

So yeah, it's quite likely that she'd be immediately recognized by a martian grunt.

yeah, it's no more far-fetched than an Iraqi soldier being able to recognize Colin Powell or Dick Cheney circa 2003, or a North Vietnamese soldier being able to recognize Henry Kissinger in the 70s.

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 8, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Arcsquad12 posted:

She's the third in line for the throne of the largest and most powerful human polity in the system. It's like recognizing the US Speaker of the House or Vice President. Not really that far-fetched, especially since she's been all over systemwide TV and is currently at war with Mars so every single mess hall in the MCRN probably has either her, Gillis, or Errinwright's face taped over the dartboard.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 8, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

drewhead posted:

It's the rapid succession of :
This is the Tachi
You're James Holden
That's a Recon Marine
That's the UN 3rd in command

that was really neat. Poor Martian sailor wouldn't of been surprised if the Easter Bunny stepped out next from behind the bulkhead.

i mean there is alien goo in the cargo hold, that'd give him a neat shock.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Am I tripping out or did they walk right past protomolecule crystals on the side of the hallway in the tachi when they were boarding the Martian wreck?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Google Butt posted:

Am I tripping out or did they walk right past protomolecule crystals on the side of the hallway in the tachi when they were boarding the Martian wreck?

That was ice, they mentioned something about the water tank being breached by the railgun round

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol I love that every scene having blue lighting is causing crazy theories that the protomolecule is literally everywhere

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

pictured; Dr. Strickland with the protomolecule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Phi230 posted:

lol I love that every scene having blue lighting is causing crazy theories that the protomolecule is literally everywhere

your mom's protomolecule