Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
when does the game goes live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, is there actually any synergy in Xoti's Priest/Monk?

You get a monk who can heal themselves, which seems decently synergistic to begin with. The swiftness from the monk buff plus int buff from duality of mortal presence seems like it'd work well with casters in general, and priests are full of beefy, if slow, melee buffs that you can apply at the start of a fight.

Priests of Eothas specifically don't get that many quick-casting spells and they seem to be more geared toward standing behind your meatwall and keeping them happy. Magran's giant flaming greatsword and fire shield buff seem more obvious for a frontline priest, or Wael's arcane veil and mirror image. Still it should be fine and it makes her a thematically appropriate support character that can also go toe-to-toe if needed.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

10 AM PDT

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Kurtofan posted:

10 AM Pacific time.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

My only complaint about save carry-over is that interactions with our beloved spider-folk don't seem to be counted. I was all set on finding more of them and having them turn out to be like the Giant Intelligent Friendly Spiders from Avernum or something.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Traxis posted:

10 AM PDT

What's that in real time

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dan Didio posted:

What's that in real time

18:00 BST, friend

(If you go to the steam store page it'll tell you how many hours there are until it unlocks. Have fun staring at that number, kids!)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Aw dangit I forgot Pillars 2 is coming out today. I got kinda bored in Pillars 1 and never finished it and I kept telling myself to get it done before 2 came out and welp that never happened.

I blazed through the mechanically inferior Tyranny because the writing was so much better though.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
What's the scope of the import saves bug, ubiquitous or affecting some people at random? Will it be retroactively fixed so we don't have to start new games for it to work again?

I might just make a new world-state if the latter isn't the case, I can't remember half the things that happened in my game anyway. It would suck to lose all the small reactivity that isn't customizable though.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

rope kid, please let me upgrade my game edition on steam, thank you

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is anyone else's Season Pass not showing up on the DLC list? I assume it has something to do with the game not actually being live yet, but just wanted to check.

Edit: This is from the Fig campaign.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

While I’m happy for obsidian, I’m genuinelly confused about all you folks who got bored or couldn’t get through PoE1 but are still getting the sequel. :confused:

Insurrectionist posted:

What's the scope of the import saves bug, ubiquitous or affecting some people at random? Will it be retroactively fixed so we don't have to start new games for it to work again?

We don’t know, they are working on it but likely won’t make it a day one patch, and won’t be retroactive.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Updated my portrait pack with more of a focus on the dudes + godlikes and clarified some things in the instructions txt. I did the watercolor conversions for the new additions so they might not be as stylized as some of the older ones.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5ihmv3zidw5himl/PoE2%20Custom%20Portraits.zip (169 portraits with watercolors)

marshmallow creep posted:

Nice. I'm trying to follow your instructions in the zip you made and use your work as an example. Tried Paint.net on the first (which doesn't have poster edges so I used an oil-paint tool) then found I have an old Photoshop that still works to make the second.

The second one's source is hard to work with and the watercolor background is a completely different color so it's going to stand out harshly ingame. Your first one ended up better.

FunkMonkey posted:

Seconding appreciation to Gyoru for the canvas instructions/resources. Literally the first time I've ever used Photoshop, but you made it easy to do, and I think it turned out decently:

That turned out well. I forgot to mention to lower the head layer's opacity slightly in my instructions.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Autonomous Monster posted:

(If you go to the steam store page it'll tell you how many hours there are until it unlocks. Have fun staring at that number, kids!)

Seems like a lot of effort for little reward. No thank you.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Avalerion posted:

We don’t know, they are working on it but likely won’t make it a day one patch, and won’t be retroactive.

drat, that's about the worst thing they could have bug out then. Almost anything else would be pretty simple to make retroactive so even if players had to deal with it for a week or two they'd immediately benefit once bug-fixing patch rolls around. Unfortunate.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Avalerion posted:

While I’m happy for obsidian, I’m genuinelly confused about all you folks who got bored or couldn’t get through PoE1 but are still getting the sequel. :confused:

Well, I'm currently doing a thesis on indicators of what would make people not play games beyond character creation or not far beyond it. It happens!

And oddly enough a lot of people enjoy that part the most. Just the idea of crafting new characters, their strengths and backstories etc.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Welp, time for me to go to bed at like 8 pm so I can wake up at about 3 am and play a video game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Avalerion posted:

For me at least, the first game had a really slow, kinda uncompelling start to it, and Thaos was never actually a very compelling antagonist. Like the most interesting thing was the Engwithan machine that he started at the beginning of the game that disintegrated people, but you literally don't go back to that until like, mid-Act 2 when you find another one. Compare it to Irenicus in BG2 who starts the game kidnapping you, killing two of your old companions (Dynaheir and Khalid), and then kidnapping your friend/sister, who you now have to find and rescue, which is a simple enough drive to propel through the actual game. After that you find out you're a Watcher, whatever that means, in a kind of dull conversation without much impact of the importance of that, and then you find another Watcher who ended up going insane because he Awakened, which is something that isn't exclusive to Watchers but isn't necessarily made clear that it's separate. All throughout is some background about the Hollowborn crisis and the Saint's War, which seemed like background dressing until it suddenly wasn't, but it ended up feeling like there was all this going on but none of it really felt like a good driver for your character's actions, except in that metanarrative sense where because you know you're the protagonist of a videogame, you're probably going to solve the Hollowborn crisis.

So much of this is given in vague fantasy poo poo that, at time, I didn't know what the hell I was doing or why I was doing it. At multiple times in the game, I basically went, wait, why the hell am I doing this again? I'm still not entirely sure why I had to go to the Temple of Woedica in Defiance Bay, for example, except "because the game told me to." Like literally the next quests after that is because you had a vision of something vague, which isn't at all compelling, and they repeated it again Lady Webb randomly ghost-telling you to go to Twin Elms. It's not the character figuring it out on their own, it was people telling you to do something for the vaguest reasons and you doing it because I guess you wanted to cure your Awakening, until you wanted to cure the Hollwborn crisis. It breaks engagement because the character, and thus the player, doesn't feel like they wanted to do things, but because they were told to.

But as seen in the White March expansion, Obsidian learned. Systems were refined, narratives were tightened, and that content was just good. So here's hoping that Josh Sawyer's "suck my dick" RPG continues to improve on the foundation of the first game, which had a legitimately neat setting and I always like gods being personable assholes.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Ordered the hardcover guidebook, now that's delayed, meanwhile digital has theirs :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Insurrectionist posted:

I might just make a new world-state if the latter isn't the case, I can't remember half the things that happened in my game anyway. It would suck to lose all the small reactivity that isn't customizable though.

You should do the sensible thing and just create a world state. The import saves bugs seem common enough that it's safer that way if you want your choices actually reflected.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

You should do the sensible thing and just create a world state. The import saves bugs seem common enough that it's safer that way if you want your choices actually reflected.

But there are things that doesn’t cover so it’s hosed either way. :argh:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Can someone recap what happens in WM2? I got to the fort and sort of lost interest.

Since this game has the gambit system from FFXII does that mean we won't have Kana or whoever summon those drat skeletons every fight?

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
How has Barbarian Carnage (AoE damage) been changed for Deadfire?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Avalerion posted:

Being an RPG fan is a mental illness where you keep buying sequels to games you didn't like, hoping that this time they got it right.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Jolarix posted:

How has Barbarian Carnage (AoE damage) been changed for Deadfire?

33% raw damage and can't proc. any effects.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ratios and Tendency posted:

33% raw damage and can't proc. any effects.

33% of base weapon damage. A massive nerf.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Can someone recap what happens in WM2? I got to the fort and sort of lost interest.

Since this game has the gambit system from FFXII does that mean we won't have Kana or whoever summon those drat skeletons every fight?

All of the best poo poo? Go play that WM2 is peak Pillars of Eternity, it makes all the other areas look awful.

I absolutely definitely cannot understand the point of barbarian now, looks like he just has his debuff shouts and does neatish melee damage?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

GrandpaPants posted:

Compare it to Irenicus in BG2 who starts the game kidnapping you, killing two of your old companions (Dynaheir and Khalid), and then kidnapping your friend/sister, who you now have to find and rescue, which is a simple enough drive to propel through the actual game.

They're a nice contrast, in my mind at least. I thought Irenicus in BG2 is a bad plot done well. I thought Thaos in PoE is a good plot done poorly.

Irenicus started like a strong, appropriately enigmatic villain with the BG2 intro giving the stakes, and he has just the right presence as you go through Spellhold and towards the ending. Every subsequent well-paced revelation as to what he's actually doing just made I go "oh god that's incredibly dumb who writes this". His backstory and his grand plan were nonsensical pieces of utter tosh. Sarevok at least was the good and simple kind of fantasy stupid.

Thaos was the complete opposite. He's just some moustache-twirling genocidal cult leader who keeps dodging you while you ineffectively chase for most of Pillars, but I actually where the ending and epilogue went with him. His plans and actions are consistent and rational if you accept his fanatical premise, but the game does a poor job of handling your investigation as to what he's up to until it dumps all the information in Sun-in-Shadow.

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).

Urthor posted:

I absolutely definitely cannot understand the point of barbarian now, looks like he just has his debuff shouts and does neatish melee damage?

drat. Well gang, I just don't know what class to roll!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Urthor posted:

It sounds like you perfectly understand the point of a Barbarian.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I loved the first, played it for many hours, was able to utterly destroy what I did play on PotD. Never finished it because the more the main story reveals itself to me, the more it sounds like a reverberating fart. It's bizarre, a really well written game with a garbage story, the kind a first time DM puts together on the fly with no preparation that gets held together by characters/players.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Actually I did just check, apparently the point is all the buffs to berserk so a lot of his power is in using the berserk feature to do a bit of stuff.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I loved the first, played it for many hours, was able to utterly destroy what I did play on PotD. Never finished it because the more the main story reveals itself to me, the more it sounds like a reverberating fart. It's bizarre, a really well written game with a garbage story, the kind a first time DM puts together on the fly with no preparation that gets held together by characters/players.

The general consensus here tends to be that the story was pretty good but dryly presented and didn’t have enough early hooks :shobon:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

So around the end of the last thread people mentioned some choices not being imported properly from saves - Can I manually alter the import after it's done or is there a day 1 patch etc?

or just put up with it for now and notice any dialogue changes on a 2nd playthrough later

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The only problem I have with Thaos and his plot is that you always get told where to go next by NPCs.
First a dead animancer tells you to go seek out Maerwald. That's actually not a problem in itself to me and also is a good introduction to your newfound Watcher powers.
Then Maerwald doesn't just tell you to go after the Leaden Key but also exactly where to look. No investigation or anything required.
And then you're forced to work with Lady Webb for no reason. Unless you burned all your bridges and need her to even attend the trials I just don't understand why she's even there when she doesn't tell me anything my character couldn't have figured out anyway. Until she reveals that Thaos is going to Twin Elms, that is. But that's right after the Watcher confronts Thaos and has a vision, so the Watcher could theoretically have seen enough to figure that out as well.

It's not that different from Baldur's Gate, ultimately, but in BG you at least get to follow a paper trail yourself so it feels like your character doing more.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Furism posted:

No, apparently Deadfire does a good job at summarizing the story. It can't be as complete as playing the full game of course.

I wouldn't say it does a good job, but it does summarize the story

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

GrandpaPants posted:

For me at least, the first game had a really slow, kinda uncompelling start to it, and Thaos was never actually a very compelling antagonist. Like the most interesting thing was the Engwithan machine that he started at the beginning of the game that disintegrated people, but you literally don't go back to that until like, mid-Act 2 when you find another one. Compare it to Irenicus in BG2 who starts the game kidnapping you, killing two of your old companions (Dynaheir and Khalid), and then kidnapping your friend/sister, who you now have to find and rescue, which is a simple enough drive to propel through the actual game. After that you find out you're a Watcher, whatever that means, in a kind of dull conversation without much impact of the importance of that, and then you find another Watcher who ended up going insane because he Awakened, which is something that isn't exclusive to Watchers but isn't necessarily made clear that it's separate. All throughout is some background about the Hollowborn crisis and the Saint's War, which seemed like background dressing until it suddenly wasn't, but it ended up feeling like there was all this going on but none of it really felt like a good driver for your character's actions, except in that metanarrative sense where because you know you're the protagonist of a videogame, you're probably going to solve the Hollowborn crisis.

So much of this is given in vague fantasy poo poo that, at time, I didn't know what the hell I was doing or why I was doing it. At multiple times in the game, I basically went, wait, why the hell am I doing this again? I'm still not entirely sure why I had to go to the Temple of Woedica in Defiance Bay, for example, except "because the game told me to." Like literally the next quests after that is because you had a vision of something vague, which isn't at all compelling, and they repeated it again Lady Webb randomly ghost-telling you to go to Twin Elms. It's not the character figuring it out on their own, it was people telling you to do something for the vaguest reasons and you doing it because I guess you wanted to cure your Awakening, until you wanted to cure the Hollwborn crisis. It breaks engagement because the character, and thus the player, doesn't feel like they wanted to do things, but because they were told to.

But as seen in the White March expansion, Obsidian learned. Systems were refined, narratives were tightened, and that content was just good. So here's hoping that Josh Sawyer's "suck my dick" RPG continues to improve on the foundation of the first game, which had a legitimately neat setting and I always like gods being personable assholes.

Yeah, this is exactly my problems with Pillars 1. I'm doing my best to power on through it regardless. It's very similar to why I didn't get far into Torment. But Tyranny and Divinity Original Sin 2, on the other hand, nailed gripping intros.

Pillars is just janky narrative and story wise. The initial hook feels mundane (your caravan is stopped and attacked) and then weirdly inconsequential (a weird machine does something to you but it's not that bad?). You go to a town where I guess you can end up with Eder, who is cool, and Aloth, who is not. Then there's some kind of thing going on with Raelic and then you bump into a keep which you become the leader of and then you have to go to the Temple of Woedica and it's filled with bad guys and I got three weird visions and there's this thing called Animancy, Watchers, Biavacs, and all sorts of Fantasy Proper Nouns but there's little attempt made to ease the player into it or make them care.

I can't remember the post I read a while back but it basically summed up Pillars 1's writing as: "Hail, traveler! Welcome to our humble town. Before you say anything, let me regale you with twenty pages worth of our history. Two hundred years ago, we fought the...' Click, click. '...and then, during the Saint's War...' Click click click. '...which brings us to today. Now, what can I help you with?' And there's like half a dozen questions relating to it. I get that they obviously put a lot of work into the setting, and there's a desire to show it off, but there's just so many infodumps and it actively repels me from seeking out any of the worldbuilding or lore.

Because of that, I can't tell what I've accidentally clicked through and what's just not explained adequately. It doesn't help that doing so much exposition through visions is kind of boring. Grieving Mother's introduction was excruciating. On the other hand, I like Pellagina. Big Shark Man seems fun.

Hell, I think I stumbled into a room and just happened to solve Aloth's weird thing while trying to find someone else.

If PoE2 has learned from Tyranny, I reckon it'll be great. BG1 wasn't great either.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Milky Moor posted:

If PoE2 has learned from Tyranny, I reckon it'll be great.
I agree, Tyranny made a lot of mistakes to learn from.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

BG1 is a bad game and only nostalgia makes anyone think otherwise. It is for sure a product of its time and not a timeless product. BG2 rules though and I still play it once every few years. (I think PoE1 is way better though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

VodeAndreas posted:

So around the end of the last thread people mentioned some choices not being imported properly from saves - Can I manually alter the import after it's done or is there a day 1 patch etc?

or just put up with it for now and notice any dialogue changes on a 2nd playthrough later
You can't manually alter the save. AFAIK, the two problems reported are that Vela doesn't appear if she was kept and that there is a mismatch between Edér's endgame states (mayor vs. Night Market).

I know the Vela issue has been fixed for our hotfix patch which will come ASAP (but not for launch today -- it still needs to be tested). The problem doesn't appear if you completed the quest that Vela is a part of. It appeared if you took the baby but didn't resolve the quest. I don't have confirmation on the Edér issue.

If you want to be safe, you can either use the state creator to make a new virtual save game (it takes about 15 minutes). Or wait until our hotfix patch. Sorry.