Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vargs posted:

Soul blade seems boring imo. Instead of having a variety of cool spells, you just use your focus on a generic "hit single dude for some damage" skill. Yawn.
Yeah. Its perfect if you want a little Cipher to complement your Warrior-type, but otherwise I don't really want to use it, either solo or as someone who I'd want to play as a Cipher with a bit more combat ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
I think I'm most of the way through the first island and I'm having a great time so far.

I started having stuttering after ~2.5 hours of play, but restarting fixed it.

For whatever reason, they decided to have companions start at your level with abilities chosen, rather than coming in at level 1 and letting you chose everything. I don't think respeccing is that expensive, but it's slightly annoying none-the-less.

I ended up going back on everything I planned and making a Crusader. All of my defenses range from 55-70 at level 4, and I took both Determination and Divine Purpose to get an extra +20 defense vs. all afflictions. Time to focus on offense for a while. I'm using swords, but haven't decided between single wield, shield and dual wield yet... It'd feel a little wasteful to not dual wield for Flames of Devotion, but more crits is really nice with the devoted damage bonus.

Also, turning up scroll speed in the "Game" tab is a must. The default value is painfully slow ugh.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i'm getting dumpstered on classic difficulty by other pirate crews

their ship has like....20 people on it lol wtf

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Dairy Power posted:

For whatever reason, they decided to have companions start at your level with abilities chosen, rather than coming in at level 1 and letting you chose everything. I don't think respeccing is that expensive, but it's slightly annoying none-the-less.

Auto-leveling companions can be disabled in the options (in the difficulty tab)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/993883233983983617

I am still upset about Lord of the Rings going mainstream.

I am not prepared for a world where the same thing happens to my isometric party RPG's

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Wow people were not kidding about this preload unpacking. This is like abnormally long. I'm up to 30 min on an ssd and its less than halfway

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Deadfire is a point lower on metacritic than the original, games journalism is stupid.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Do Graze-to-Hit buffs stack in some way? For example, Eder's Disciplined Barrage + Confident Aim?

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Octo1 posted:

Auto-leveling companions can be disabled in the options (in the difficulty tab)

Well shoot, missed that one. Thanks!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm going to go home from work soon and watch shows with girlfriend. Then she'll get sleepy and i'll be like "yesss!" and tuck her the gently caress in and then I'm off to the races with this new party based RPG from Obsidian. I am excited.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Anyone know how to configure the AI to stop trying to charm the last target in a fight? I've been toying with the conditionals for Target: Nearby Allies/Enemies, but nothing seems to be working.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

MMF Freeway posted:

Wow people were not kidding about this preload unpacking. This is like abnormally long. I'm up to 30 min on an ssd and its less than halfway

The game directory is almost 40 gigs and 50,000 files, so that might have something to do with it.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I set it cooking remotely through the Steam app, fortunately. Should be done by the time I get home and unwind.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Game really doesn't like the ability tree, I'm on a fairly new laptop with an SSD and the game runs perfectly any other time even in heavy combat but it freezes for 2 seconds any time I open the ability tree.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Surely enough Eder is Eothas Fan and not Da Mayor. At least I can treat this as test run to see for any tweaks when that's patched.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
In the "build your own history" section, is there really nothing for "Zahua went back and united several small Ixamitl tribes"?

e: And there IS a section for "I drove the Sky Dragon away?" What? I didn't know you could do that, I thought you had to kill it or let it stay.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 8, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I laughed

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

stupid stuff about eder, spoiling just in case

I could have sworn Eder was written gay? Why do I think that? He was talking about getting busy with a priest of eothas and it threw me for a loop

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

In the "build your own history" section, is there really nothing for "Zahua went back and united several small Ixamitl tribes"?

Poor Zahua may just not come up in any detail in Deadfire. Hope I'm wrong though.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

He's been at least bi since PoE1, he mentions fond memories with a milk maid from gilded vale.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Deadfire is a point lower on metacritic than the original, games journalism is stupid.
Avellone was on twitter making the same point, which I guess could be seen as a surprise

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

mem posted:

Didn't notice the graphics hitching but I definitely get some kind of hitch in the music at times during dialogue. In a game with this much dialogue I fear for my sanity.

I have this too, it doesn't seem to be reported on the Obsidian forums yet but I will make an account to post there tomorrow. I think I am going to hang back until a patch next week. Mainly because of non-mayor Eder which makes me super unsure about other bugs related to my imported save game.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
Hmmm... It seems like Vela is missing, even though I did see the entirety of that quest through. And Edér joined the secret Eothas club, even though he became a mayor at the end of Pillars 1.

Otherwise, it all looks and plays pretty drat neat so far, put I think I'll put it off until some of those carry over things are fixed.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

First hotfix might be coming around 5/15.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/8hjtcm/anyone_else_accidentally_bring_the_baby_in_im/dylxow5/

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Graphics are very pretty in this. And the whole movement/combat system feels smoother than Poe1 so far.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Interesting that official response believes the fix will be retroactive, which ran counter to sentiment earlier. Also lol at the "Chris Avellone was right" comment.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Being able to increase combat speed is the best poo poo ever, thank you Obsidian

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Well, got my first crash entering the first town. :toot:

Scorchy posted:

The removal of the endurance/health split mechanic means that straight up heals are far more powerful in POE2, and Priest don't have exclusivity on that.
I'd say Druids are straight up better at it than Priests this time around. Moonwell is still king and the Power Level 2 baby Moonwell is pretty good, plus they can pass Robust around. Higher level spells look decent as well.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm really loving this so far.

You can definitely tell that the writing has had more than one draft too. Its not just more intriguing, but its much funnier than I thought it would be. I'm getting some serious Alpha Protocol vibes from it actually, and I mean that in all the best possible ways.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Someone on the obsidian forums compared the writting to Divinity OS2 - hope they were exaggerating...

Also decent amount of complains about voice acting, especially the voiced narration.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What happens in the opening of the game if you let Eder die like a monster?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Wizard Styles posted:

Well, got my first crash entering the first town. :toot:

I'd say Druids are straight up better at it than Priests this time around. Moonwell is still king and the Power Level 2 baby Moonwell is pretty good, plus they can pass Robust around. Higher level spells look decent as well.

The new damage mitigation is actually interrupting other spells, having a Wizard around for Thrust of Tattered Veils duty is really good.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Having kept myself almost entirely in the dark on Deadfire during its development, I will join the chorus of praise. The writing is stronger (well, apart from the inability of Valians to start a sentence without exclaiming something), and the encounters/combat mechanics are pretty interesting, at least on veteran. My favorite was dropkicking a skeleton so hard it bounced off a wall and struck a trap which exploded half my party. rip eder

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is it just me or is the staff modal really good? +20 deflection vs melee weps seems really nice. My Thamaturge is using that plus Concelhaut's Staff a lot and doin well so far on potd.

First area though and I expect to get rolled soon

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Envious of people stuck on character creation.. I can't even decide on difficulty and level scaling. Can I change them later on if things get too easy/hard?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Chadzok posted:

Envious of people stuck on character creation.. I can't even decide on difficulty and level scaling. Can I change them later on if things get too easy/hard?

I think for any difficulty short of POTD you can, but I believe POTD is locked in if you choose it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Chadzok posted:

Unless you pick PotD, you can change difficulty at will. I don't know about level scaling though.

And just making sure that nothing changed since beta, but: Beguilers only have a downside if their target isn't debuffed or flanked, right? And since Ciphers easily get access to the "everything is now flanked forever" debuff at, like, level 3, in practice they have no downside? (Also not much of an upside besides some Focus refunding for stacking debuffs, but still)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

"Aloth believes in benevolent authoritarianism."

I think we're going to have to have a chat about this, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

How long will POE 1 and TWM take to complete if I play it on the easiest setting?