Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Riatsala posted:

What's everyone's favorite method of gaming fallout for massive early game advantages?

FO3: do Replicated Man for a sweet plasma rifle. (good luck repairing it early in, though)
NV: 7+ Luck, sneak into Freeside, gamble at the Atomic Wrangler until 6K caps. Get admission to Vegas, buy Luck implant, gamble until 30K caps, buy all implants.
FO4: Do Museum of Freedom to get power armor, don't fight the Deathclaw. Scrape together 5K caps, buy Overseer's Guardian or Spray 'n' Pray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gynovore posted:

FO4: Do Museum of Freedom to get power armor, don't fight the Deathclaw. Scrape together 5K caps, buy Overseer's Guardian or Spray 'n' Pray.

How do you not fight the Deathclaw?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Just leave? The street gives you an exit left or right out of Concord, go around and back to Scantuary if you want. You won't be able to finish the quest or use Scantuary as a base until you do but it's easier to fight the deathclaw later when you have more than a minigun that just tickles it as you run around holding the trigger for a solid 5 minutes.

Don't remember of Preston or anyone else mentions you taking your sweet time later on. And really who case if they do?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
On that subject, does anyone really want to use sanctuary as their home? It's not close to anything, and has nothing interesting to make it worth bothering with aside from space to build water purifiers, I guess.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Riatsala posted:

What's everyone's favorite method of gaming fallout for massive early game advantages?

For 3 it's as simple as playing operation anchorage at level 2. Hilariously powerful weapons and armor + 5 bonus sets of power armor to sell once the dust clears.

For New Vegas I repair and sell the 8 or so energy weapons sitting around on ghoul corpses at repconn launch site.

3 - 9 Int at level 1, B-line for Rivet City, pick up the Int bobblehead, then start collecting guns. I distinctly recall spending an obnoxious number of hours wielding a lever action rifle that I picked up at the Lincoln Memorial. At some point pick up the Chinese Stealth Suit and never draw aggro again.

NV - What double nine said, get caps for the Int implant and maybe the Monocyte Breeder, focusing skill ups on lockpicking, then at 100 lockpicking (including magazine buff), get the Gobi out of the sniper's nest, and make a gently caress-ton of .308 JSP rounds. Before that, Ratslayer. After that, once I'm tanky enough, around level 20 or so, hit the ghoul filled vault to get All-American.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You won't be able to finish the quest or use Scantuary as a base until you do but it's easier to fight the deathclaw later when you have more than a minigun that just tickles it as you run around holding the trigger for a solid 5 minutes.

You can use Sanctuary as a settlement as soon as you clear it out, before you ever reach the Museum. You don't really have to go there at all, even. There's a full set of leveled* power armor with core near a crashed vertibird on the overpass between College Square, Greygarden, and the Corvega Assembly Plant.

*In this spot, leveled means almost always T-45, unless you are ridiculously careful and patient.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 9, 2018

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

chitoryu12 posted:

How do you not fight the Deathclaw?

Go into the church, jump on the crashed vertibird as a bridge, hop down and get the armor + minigun, jump to the street level and walk home. Never talk to Preston & co.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You can use sanctuary as a base without even talking to codsworth, the Concord people have nothing to do with it. The only thing the quest blocks is codsworth as a companion

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Keeshhound posted:

On that subject, does anyone really want to use sanctuary as their home? It's not close to anything, and has nothing interesting to make it worth bothering with aside from space to build water purifiers, I guess.

Sanctuary is my canvas settlement where I can express my inner sheet metal architect.

But no, I set up in Red Rocket until I can liberate hangman's alley, every other settlement is just for fun/water profit/artillery coverage.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Azhais posted:

You can use sanctuary as a base without even talking to codsworth, the Concord people have nothing to do with it. The only thing the quest blocks is codsworth as a companion

Oh? Guess I never really tried come to think of it. When I skip Concord I usually just used Starlight or Grey Garden as a base for the northwest part of the map. Always figured you'd need the gang to show up to unlock it then have Sturges give you the tutorial quests.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Just leave? The street gives you an exit left or right out of Concord, go around and back to Scantuary if you want. You won't be able to finish the quest or use Scantuary as a base until you do but it's easier to fight the deathclaw later when you have more than a minigun that just tickles it as you run around holding the trigger for a solid 5 minutes.

Don't remember of Preston or anyone else mentions you taking your sweet time later on. And really who case if they do?

Will the deathclaw and Preston just stay there forever if you walk off?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Usually Preston will kill it eventually

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I like using sanctuary as a settler farm to attract people for immediate shunting to more geographically convenient locations.

chitoryu12 posted:

Will the deathclaw and Preston just stay there forever if you walk off?

Absolutely.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
If you don't go up the street I don't think you even trigger it. Not sure if there's an invisible tripwire on the main street or if just being in the vicinity will cause it to spawn but just avoid Concord and you should be fine. Go back when you're ready. Or never. Not like there's anything there you really need unless you really like X-Cell and need a reliable source.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've had it spawn while still on the roof by the power armor. I think it can either be triggered by raiders nearby, or it is triggered by a certain number of the raiders dying

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That's odd. In the past I remember running up to the grate and ignoring the raiders to force it to spawn. That way they could wear each other down so I didn't have to waste so much ammo.

Either way, just avoid going anywhere near it and even if something else does trigger it to spawn it will lose agro due to the distance, assuming it even spots you to begin with.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Azhais posted:

Usually Preston will kill it eventually

The tragic tale of a civil defense leader too stupid to realize that he's marked essential and immortal, and could easily attrition the raiders & boss monster without asking for help.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Psychotic Weasel posted:

That's odd. In the past I remember running up to the grate and ignoring the raiders to force it to spawn. That way they could wear each other down so I didn't have to waste so much ammo.

Either way, just avoid going anywhere near it and even if something else does trigger it to spawn it will lose agro due to the distance, assuming it even spots you to begin with.

Then it's probably raider death or player proximity, whichever comes first.

Just hop off the roof between the museum and the church, grab the fusion cells by the second dead Minuteman, and be on your way ignoring both raiders and theoretical mutant lizards

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fallout 4's soundtrack is really weird to me in that it has some of inon zur's best ambient music he's ever done but also some of the most obnoxious combat music he's ever done.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I mean, there's easier power armor sets to get without awkwardly running through a combat zone. There's an incomplete one just down the way from that satellite relay place in the north another near one of the bridges you have to cross to get to Diamond City and yet another on the train tracks near the secret entrance to the old Railroad HQ, all within like five minutes of the start.

I never really liked getting all the OP sequence breaking gear immediately though, the (first person) games are easy enough even on the harder difficulties that it just seems more natural to use stuff as you find it instead of beelining to an endgame weapon and using it forever:shrug:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I never use power armor for anything, hate the UI and everything else about it. The only suits in my base are the "collectible" versions and one I piece together for all the unique parts.

Those that like it but don't like the commonality there's a nice mod that replaces most power armor spawns with power armor parts so you really have to scavenge to get a suit together:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12050/

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

You can kill the first deathclaw by going into the corner store directly across from the museum and shooting it through the windows. It can't fit through the door.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

No real reason to even spawn the deathclaw or raiders if you don't plan on doing that quest. You can hack the terminal downstairs, get the power core, go to where Preston & co are, grab the bobblehead. He'll engage you in dialogue, but FO4 being FO4 you can just step backwards and exit. As you sprint for the roof, the last you will ever hear of Ol' Helpless is his indignant cry of, "So you're just going to leave!?" You can nod emphatically to yourself as your exit to the roof and your power armor, leaving without spawning the deathclaw.

As an added bonus, the Minutemen never spawn in to the world so you don't have to deal with their bullshit. Even the quest for the Institute which requires you to talk down the squad of Minutemen just replaces them with Gunners; turns out that they play a really small role in the overall plot and can be safely ignored. You can even set up almost every settlement as your own without them, and attacks on them seem to be far less frequent. It's like Preston is sending the Gunners & raiders at your towns just so the minutemen can have a purpose, the narcissistic gently caress.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Nobody gets kidnapped if he's un activated either.

Preston truly is the greatest monster in the Commonwealth. He probably set up Quincy too.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

aniviron posted:

the last you will ever hear of Ol' Helpless is his indignant cry of, "So you're just going to leave!?" You can nod emphatically to yourself as your exit to the roof and your power armor, leaving without spawning the deathclaw.

As an added bonus, the Minutemen never spawn in to the world so you don't have to deal with their bullshit. Even the quest for the Institute which requires you to talk down the squad of Minutemen just replaces them with Gunners; turns out that they play a really small role in the overall plot and can be safely ignored. You can even set up almost every settlement as your own without them, and attacks on them seem to be far less frequent. It's like Preston is sending the Gunners & raiders at your towns just so the minutemen can have a purpose, the narcissistic gently caress.

that's pretty amazing, because the way the game opens for Nathan Drake, you don't really have any reason to interact with / care about the Minute Men, outside of some kind of generic "video game good guy" sentiment.

you really only even observe the raider factions to be evil because they just shoot you on sight, no questions asked. if one of them instead stopped you outside concord and said "hey yo there's these terrorists holed up in the old courthouse, help us execute them and you can walk away with the sweet power armor stuck up on the roof" you'd have nothing in setting to doubt their versions of events either.

the fact that concord is just the E3 demo reel and that the overall game is actually improved if you skip it is amazing :allears:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's still really weird that the Gunners are established as not raiders, but are still instantly hostile to the player for no reason.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Neurolimal posted:

It's still really weird that the Gunners are established as not raiders, but are still instantly hostile to the player for no reason.

What we need is a quest mod that replaces the raiders in concord with gunners, and slaps the "cowardly retreating" gunner dude from the gunner hq into the lobby, and he gives you something like that "these assholes from quincy are holed up in here" spiel, and you can either choose to work with the gunners and they become your fallback faction, or tell them to gently caress off and free Preston and he goes running away and you become the thing he got poo poo on for.

Could also do the raiders and tie in Nuka World somehow

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Freaking Crumbum posted:

you really only even observe the raider factions to be evil because they just shoot you on sight, no questions asked. if one of them instead stopped you outside concord and said "hey yo there's these terrorists holed up in the old courthouse, help us execute them and you can walk away with the sweet power armor stuck up on the roof" you'd have nothing in setting to doubt their versions of events either.

So uh, Nuka World is a thing. Raiders are just post apocalyptic Emo kids. If you make them :cry: work for their dinner :cry: they get all pissy. They're parasites.

Regular settlers may be barely functional retarded babies, but at least they're self sufficient once you put them to work.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Neurolimal posted:

Eh I mean they're sorta excused for it when you make it past the no-mans-land while they're firing artillery at you. I forget the reason why exactly they isolated themselves at the airbase, but they seem to be decent people as a whole. I've only ever approached them as a NCR rep or as a Mr.House Replacement, so maybe they act differently if you're legion?

e: What was that shipping boat in FO4 where there were raiders speaking Dutch or whatever? I guess some players knew dutch and started feeling really guilty once they figured out what they were screaming about while you were blasting away at them.

e2: im stupid!

buglord fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 10, 2018

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

buglord posted:

Eh I mean they're sorta excused for it when you make it past the no-mans-land while they're firing artillery at you. I forget the reason why exactly they isolated themselves at the airbase, but they seem to be decent people as a whole. I've only ever approached them as a NCR rep or as a Mr.House Replacement, so maybe they act differently if you're legion?

e: What was that shipping boat in FO4 where there were raiders speaking Dutch or whatever? I guess some players knew dutch and started feeling really guilty once they figured out what they were screaming about while you were blasting away at them.

Gunners, my friend. You're thinking of Boomers.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well, this is certainly unexpected - Rage 2 And More Games Possibly Leaked Before E3, But Bethesda Takes It Surprisingly Well. Of course nothing is official until its official but would be a welcome addition, provided they learned their lessons from the first game (just set the whole loving thing in Dead City).

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 10, 2018

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Keeshhound posted:

I always follow the Minutemen quests just long enough to get The Castle and then turn that into my HQ. Fill in the busted walls, put a bar on the battlements overlooking the water, etc. It's the closest Fallout will ever get to Suikoden.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Riatsala posted:

For 3 it's as simple as playing operation anchorage at level 2. Hilariously powerful weapons and armor + 5 bonus sets of power armor to sell once the dust clears.

For New Vegas I repair and sell the 8 or so energy weapons sitting around on ghoul corpses at repconn launch site.

Getting the Hunting Shotgun from the Old Nuclear Test Site. I mean, it's not that hard to kite a bunch of Glowing Ones and Feral Ghoul Reavers at level 6 :shepface:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Mooktastical posted:

So uh, Nuka World is a thing. Raiders are just post apocalyptic Emo kids. If you make them :cry: work for their dinner :cry: they get all pissy. They're parasites.

Regular settlers may be barely functional retarded babies, but at least they're self sufficient once you put them to work.

yeah but on a vanilla play through without DLC you have no way of knowing that. Nathan Drake just takes everything at face value and the raiders in concord could have easily not shot at him and instead said "sup dawg those dudes in the church? they're bad news bruh can you help us stop them" and he'd have literally no reason to doubt them (any less than he would doubt what the minute men blather about).

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Getting the Hunting Shotgun from the Old Nuclear Test Site. I mean, it's not that hard to kite a bunch of Glowing Ones and Feral Ghoul Reavers at level 6 :shepface:

You mad, mad bastard you :allears:

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yeah but on a vanilla play through without DLC you have no way of knowing that. Nathan Drake just takes everything at face value and the raiders in concord could have easily not shot at him and instead said "sup dawg those dudes in the church? they're bad news bruh can you help us stop them" and he'd have literally no reason to doubt them (any less than he would doubt what the minute men blather about).

Literally no reason? How about motive.txt that their leader left on his computer over at Corvega Assembly Plant?

"Gristle's Terminal" posted:

Took down another caravan today. Hell yeah, that makes three in one month. To top it off, Freddie came by with the good news that another caravan is headed our way. Says he spotted some guards, but it's mostly civilians. They even got an old broad dressed like a fortune teller and some joker in a cowboy hat. Gonna ask Jared for more men to take this caravan down. That loving hat is mine!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Finished Old World Blues last night, quite enjoyed it. Pity you couldn't repair Mobius though, his heart was in the right place :(

Also, the brain chat was totally Torment's Nameless One meeting its mortality, except a lot more funnier and I can appreciate that. Obsidian really likes their plot hooks though, because I am fairly sure that there was a reiteration there in other games (kotor2?).

Now to wrap all the Strip quests and Lonesome Road (can't quite believe that I am going to finish this game after six years sitting on my library lol)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

dead comedy forums posted:

Finished Old World Blues last night, quite enjoyed it. Pity you couldn't repair Mobius though, his heart was in the right place :(

You can totally repair him though? He thanks you for fixing the ghosting on his sensors on a repair check of 75. it's also how you get out of a bug that can force you to kill him otherwise.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Oh, I meant totally repair him, like restore his original condition and remind him why he did all the things in the first place

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Am in the only one who in their first Old World Blues playthrough performed all the skillchecks for all the scientists at the end, then reloaded an earlier save and just murdered them all before leaving Big MT because I thought the Mojave would be better for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If you skill check them and have good karma then the ending has the Courier act as a filter for their inventions, only allowing beneficial ones into the wastes.