Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I mean. It wasn't awful before.

Did you hear back from MS yet or do I need to poke someone?

I 100% do not remember this conversation. I lost your number when my iPhone turned into a Roman candle. I still have the same one so either PM me or text me and remind me what this is about. It’s been a hell of year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Also, how long can you go with only 4 hours of sleep on average every night? Asking for a friend.

I made it about a year before the hallucinations became too frequent to ignore. Good luck.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

A Man and his dog posted:

As a man who works at a pizzeria with over 40 toppings I've seen some crazy poo poo....

IVE SEEN THINGS!

I had someone once order a large 5 cheese pizza, but instead of pizza sauce as the base: mayonnaise.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Mezzanon posted:

I had someone once order a large 5 cheese pizza, but instead of pizza sauce as the base: mayonnaise.

Forward that order to the CIA in my opinion

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I'm not dead yet, and the manager OT has nearly paid off a quarter of my debt. If I keep this up, my financial stress will be gone! Also, how long can you go with only 4 hours of sleep on average every night? Asking for a friend.

Modern studies show you lose a ton of efficiency and capability at you job after like a week of crunch hours. Like, congratulations on the dosh, but you'd almost certainly be better at your job if you had a decent night's sleep.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

Modern studies show you lose a ton of efficiency and capability at you job after like a week of crunch hours. Like, congratulations on the dosh, but you'd almost certainly be better at your job if you had a decent night's sleep.

My quality of life significantly improved after I stopped working 70 hours per week.

I’m stoked that I became debt free during that time, let stoked about the forty loving pounds I’m stuck working off though :/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mezzanon posted:

My quality of life significantly improved after I stopped working 70 hours per week.

I’m stoked that I became debt free during that time, let stoked about the forty loving pounds I’m stuck working off though :/

I'm not even talking about quality of life, since reading this forum has shown me that a significant portion of you don't seem to care about it. I'm saying Chef De Cuisinart isn't as good at his job as he could be, since that seems to only be the type of language he'll understand.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

I'm not even talking about quality of life, since reading this forum has shown me that a significant portion of you don't seem to care about it. I'm saying Chef De Cuisinart isn't as good at his job as he could be, since that seems to only be the type of language he'll understand.

This is so loving true. Not the CdC thing necessarily (though probably), but at this point I can actively feel myself get shittier at my job and make lazier menus/less informed decisions when I haven't slept properly in a few days. It's something I've only come to really learn and take heed of in the last couple years, but it makes SO MUCH difference.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Incorporating more fruits and vegetables into your diet can make you better at life, and no one, no one, gets enough fiber. In my personal life, i feel like fermented foods keep me alive when I force myself to become a machine.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mezzanon posted:

What in the actual gently caress. MAYO BASED?!?!

Anyways, the one weird customer gets: CLAMS, onions, Mushroom, spinach, pineapple, feta, and some other poo poo.

You lost me at the clams my friend. Good customer though.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

uhh, white sauce clam pizza is a Known Thing™

the pineapple kinda fucks that up but the rest sounds totally reasonable

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
mayo + finely chopped chipotle (+ adobo sauce) is a kickin rad pizza sauce base for a chicken/onion/bell pepper pizza, fight me

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Incorporating more fruits and vegetables into your diet can make you better at life, and no one, no one, gets enough fiber. In my personal life, i feel like fermented foods keep me alive when I force myself to become a machine.

I actually started taking a fiber supplement every morning a couple months ago and I can confirm that absolutely nobody is eating enough fiber.

Edit: Also try and sneak some spinach in at least once per day

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 10, 2018

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Naelyan posted:

This is so loving true. Not the CdC thing necessarily (though probably), but at this point I can actively feel myself get shittier at my job and make lazier menus/less informed decisions when I haven't slept properly in a few days. It's something I've only come to really learn and take heed of in the last couple years, but it makes SO MUCH difference.

Oh yeah, I could totally work better with more sleep, but it's been so busy that I've just had to be at work 16hrs a day.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Oh yeah, I could totally work better with more sleep, but it's been so busy that I've just had to be at work 16hrs a day. need to hire several more cooks.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
sous and exec both recently criticized the state of my station at close on a sunday night

on said sunday i was on my third day of vacation out of state

when i reminded chef that she had seen me take the lowboy apart and deep clean it the day before i left she said "don't be so defensive"

lol ok just keep paying me who gives a poo poo

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Oh yeah, I could totally work better with more sleep, but it's been so busy that I've just had to be at work 16hrs a day.

Quabzor is right - you need more employees, and/or you need employees who have the ability to make *some* decisions without you being there. Delegate more, force yourself to take more breaks, something. The real risk here isn't necessarily being less effective at your job (though if that isn't already an issue, it will be soon), the real risk is burnout. If you already have a plan to reduce your workload and are following through, good. If you haven't done that, start soon.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The real risk is putting your car into a bridge abutment when you pass out driving. I've worked those hours for a few months, and you don't realize the toll until you wake up in your driveway with the car on and no memory of how you got there from work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

The real risk is putting your car into a bridge abutment when you pass out driving. I've worked those hours for a few months, and you don't realize the toll until you wake up in your driveway with the car on and no memory of how you got there from work.

They gave him a room at the hotel, so that's at least not a worry.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

I hope yall dont do this, my sister died in a car accident on dec 27 2013 because she fell asleep at the wheel driving home from Christmas, so i just feel the need to point out that driving tired is incredibly loving stupid and dangerous and being gung ho about it is exactly as stupid as being gung ho about driving drunk and for exactly the same reasons.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

empty whippet box posted:

I hope yall dont do this, my sister died in a car accident on dec 27 2013 because she fell asleep at the wheel driving home from Christmas, so i just feel the need to point out that driving tired is incredibly loving stupid and dangerous and being gung ho about it is exactly as stupid as being gung ho about driving drunk and for exactly the same reasons.

I quit that job a week or so later because it was unsustainable.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Naelyan posted:

especially in a management position. i had always tried to prioritize getting enough sleep so i could have better focus and mental clarity, but i made it a must do when i started to notice the quality and nature of the direction and feedback i was giving underwent a noticeable change when i stopped getting enough sleep during extended crunches

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

I had to give up mega-hours because I could just dissociate and work a line until it literally kills me before I burn out and quit. The ease of working 16 hours a day, 7 days a week for months on end scared the hell out of me.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I know what to do guys, it's just taking longer to get new hires than I'd thought it would.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Liquid Communism posted:

I once treated a stop light as a stop sign once after a double. Thankfully the road was pretty empty and no cops saw me.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

One of our line guys is always complaining about how tired he is because he only got 3 hours of sleep the night before --- because he was up playing video games.

Last Sunday and Monday I worked 7am to 11pm and 5am to 11:30pm. I have never not-jokingly cursed out a coworker to their face until Tuesday morning, when I had to hear that poo poo yet again. It was a simple "hey, guy? Go gently caress yourself", but coming from the mild-mannered woman in her 40s who rarely complains, it kinda took the kitchen by surprise.

As GWS is my witness, if he comes in for Mother's Day brunch whining about how tired he is because he was up playing Minecraft until 4am and had to come in at 8 instead of 9.... Well, let's just say I'm drat curious as to what sort of damage I can do with a hot waffle iron to a man twice my size.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I mean, it's dumb of him to stay up late on purpose, but don't do 5 am to 11 pm shifts.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I mean, it's dumb of him to stay up late on purpose, but don't do 5 am to 11 pm shifts.

You're not my real dad, you can't make me! Besides, 3am to 10pm is a better shift anyways.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Skwirl posted:

It was a one-off deal as a favor to my boss, she's acting manager at our sister store as well and their dishwasher quit with no notice. She was in a pickle, I needed some extra money, so I agreed to it. And now I have mad respect for people who pull those kinds of hours all the time (well, I always did, but when I started doing stupid things like putting the salt away in the reach in, I understand why the guys next door who always pull doubles like that are zombies).

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

I sometimes work 9am-1am twice a week and I hate it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

It was a one-off deal as a favor to my boss, she's acting manager at our sister store as well and their dishwasher quit with no notice. She was in a pickle, I needed some extra money, so I agreed to it. And now I have mad respect for people who pull those kinds of hours all the time (well, I always did, but when I started doing stupid things like putting the salt away in the reach in, I understand why the guys next door who always pull doubles like that are zombies).

I have respect for people who do that on the regular the same way I have respect for people who drink a fifth of booze every day. Impressive endurance, but it's going to kill them and I hope to Christ they aren't driving.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

One of our line guys is always complaining about how tired he is because he only got 3 hours of sleep the night before --- because he was up playing video games.

Last Sunday and Monday I worked 7am to 11pm and 5am to 11:30pm. I have never not-jokingly cursed out a coworker to their face until Tuesday morning, when I had to hear that poo poo yet again. It was a simple "hey, guy? Go gently caress yourself", but coming from the mild-mannered woman in her 40s who rarely complains, it kinda took the kitchen by surprise.

As GWS is my witness, if he comes in for Mother's Day brunch whining about how tired he is because he was up playing Minecraft until 4am and had to come in at 8 instead of 9.... Well, let's just say I'm drat curious as to what sort of damage I can do with a hot waffle iron to a man twice my size.

I'm just thinking of WHERE you can damage him since he is twice your size.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Samizdata posted:

I'm just thinking of WHERE you can damage him since he is twice your size.

Just gotta get the right angle on his dangle.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Mezzanon posted:

I sometimes work 9am-1am twice a week and I hate it.

You should speak to LC about the joys of computer janitor jobbing, when you are ready I can apprentice you in the dark arts of the mainframe and you can make 6 figures confusing everyone else and getting them to go away.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Anyone taller than you, you just go for the knee first.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Knowing JD, it won't dangle anymore. And she will force-feed him the waffle with cheap knockoff syrup...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
actualfacts excerpt from Kitchen Confidential

Anthony Bourdain posted:

BURNING WITH A DESIRE for vengeance and vindication, I applied myself to gaining entry to the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York. My Vassar friends-those who remained on speaking terms with me after two years of truly disgusting behavior on my part-thought I was out of my mind, but then they thought that anyway. I'm sure that there was a collective sigh of relief on Vassar's rolling, green, well-tended campus that I would no longer be around to cadge free drinks, steal drugs, make pointedly cruel remarks and generally lower the level of discourse. My idols of that time had been, all too predictably, Hunter Thompson, William Burroughs, Iggy Pop and Bruce Lee; I had had, for some time, a romantic if inaccurate view of myself as some kind of hyperviolent, junkie Byron. My last semester at Vassar, I'd taken to wearing nunchakus in a strap-on holster and carrying around a samurai sword-that should tell you all you need to know. The most romantic thing I had done in two years was to chop down about an acre of Vassar's lilacs one night with my sword, so that I could fill my girlfriend's room with the blossoms.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Anyone taller than you, you just go for the knee first.

As a six and a half foot tall dude headed for knee surgery number two, this works. Holy poo poo am I useless when one of my legs won't hold me up.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You should speak to LC about the joys of computer janitor jobbing, when you are ready I can apprentice you in the dark arts of the mainframe and you can make 6 figures confusing everyone else and getting them to go away.

Computer touching is good for you, and I have graduated to managing people who touch computers now for more money than I have ever made in my life.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Computer touching is good for you, and I have graduated to managing people who touch computers now for more money than I have ever made in my life.

I escaped into the world of wine distribution and I couldn't be happier. I think just escaping the restaurant industry as a whole is good for you.