Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Altered Carbon is p good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The quiche’nspinach ham’nracks. :smug:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kumqwat Haagendasz

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Vlex posted:

On that topic, why is it The Shadout Mapes?

Like “The Honorable Judge Holden” or “The Reverend Al Sharpton.”

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I've been wondering about Mentats (and also the BG with their prana bindu and so on.) Are these guys biologically the same as us regular humans, but with a whole lot of training and weird chemicals on board? Or are they actually genetically distinct from what we'd call human?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tree Bucket posted:

I've been wondering about Mentats (and also the BG with their prana bindu and so on.) Are these guys biologically the same as us regular humans, but with a whole lot of training and weird chemicals on board? Or are they actually genetically distinct from what we'd call human?

highly trained humans who use sappho juice to think harder or something

much more human than a guild navigator

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yo if like on give a Shadout to my good buddy Mapes if I could

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Murray Mantoinette posted:

“The Honorable Judge Holden”

Hangin' Judge Holden. He'd prolly get on famously with the Baron.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yo if like on give a Shadout to my good buddy Mapes if I could

What if I'm an irretrievable dork for laughing at this?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Tree Bucket posted:

they are autistic people with nootropics if nootropics worked

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yandat posted:

they are autistic people with nootropics if nootropics worked

They’re not really straight up autistic. To do what they do they have to be able to understand people perfectly. They just think completely differently, since they cultivated the “naive mind” where they drop all of their preconceptions and are completely objective.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

piracetam actually works bud

THS
Sep 15, 2017

sure it does

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol
In the United States, it is not approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for any medical use and it is not permitted to be sold as a dietary supplement
Evidence to support its use for many conditions is unclear.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Drake meme with "Machine Thinking" and "Drug Thinking"

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

basic hitler posted:

piracetam actually works bud

The spice must flow

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

piracetam gave me crazy cool dreams and improved my memory by quite a bit back in the day. i still have a bunch of it + choline. although it's like 10 years old now it has probably lost a lot of potency and it tastes like bitter salt so i don't use it but maybe i should at least finish it off.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

vintage spice!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Piracetam actually does work.

As an aside I read the Metabarons last night and it was cool.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Come on guys, it is in the text. Shadout is a title meaning "well-dipper" and if you can't see why that would be a pretty big title amongst fremen I don't know what to say.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
The way I sort of understood the explanation for mentats and to a certain extent most of the superhuman poo poo people can do not directly related to spice is that in real life, there’s idiot savant autistics who can’t read or otherwise function in society but can perform astounding feats of mathematics. And the fact that those people exist by fluke in real life means that the squishy hardware of the human brain is in fact capable of that level of thinking, and therefore in the future with super advanced trining techniques and magic space drugs, maybe anyone could learn to think like that.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Some advances are a result of breeding programs. See: duncan Idaho getting clowned by Moneo in god emperor

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So is that the new baseline for humanity or is Moneo special because he’s part of Leto’s program? Are “regular people” still schlubs like us, albeit maybe with everyone having some Fremen ancestry now because of the jihad?

It occurs to me that there’s vanishingly few examples of completely “normal” people in the series. It’s why one of my favorite parts is after Teg gets bullet time and is being transported to safety by a network of spies who all formerly served under his command or had sons who did. And they’re just describing weird poo poo on post-Harkonnen Geidi Prime like a caste of sewer workers born with no sense of smell or roving gangs of kids who will kill anyone who doesn’t accept Leto II as their lord and savior. And of course this is interspersed with him eating Goku levels of food because again, for some preposterous reason Teg randomly gets super speed and a resulting increased metabolism?

Most of the series could basically be a stage play in various palaces or cave forts and monasteries. There’s nothing wrong with that but it left me wanting to see Herbert describe a “normal” dystopian space city full of weirdos.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Dune is a series of novels that advocates positive eugenics

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and all threats that could wipe us out are either us or are made by us and humanity must constantly be kept under pressure so the strong will survive and the weak will be culled so we don't destroy ourselves and we must never relax and we must eliminate all weakness and all humanity in ourselves

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I am gonna move to a backwater planet and breed mediocre children because I am the one person in the universe not obsessed with breeding super humans or measuring my family's lifespans in millenia

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
"My son Paul-Leto wants to study theatre at the Atreides School for the Performing Arts"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

Altered Carbon is p good

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

The way I sort of understood the explanation for mentats and to a certain extent most of the superhuman poo poo people can do not directly related to spice is that in real life, there’s idiot savant autistics who can’t read or otherwise function in society but can perform astounding feats of mathematics. And the fact that those people exist by fluke in real life means that the squishy hardware of the human brain is in fact capable of that level of thinking, and therefore in the future with super advanced trining techniques and magic space drugs, maybe anyone could learn to think like that.

A lot of it is noticing certain potentials and then training them to amazing heights. Mentats in particular are very rare and few people have the potential to be a mentat. This is why it was a huge deal to have a ducal heir (Paul) being trained as a mentat. That just didn't happen under normal circumstances as mentats jumped up pretty randomly. You also had to identify them early and basically train them from birth; the potential took a lot of time to develop properly. They also claimed that the sapho juice made them smarter by putting making their brains more energetic but it's never explained if that actually works or not, I think. In any event mentats had brains that were far, far along the bell curve and then trained the gently caress out of them. They could remember vast amounts of information but detach their emotional responses from it enough to make incredible leaps of intuition. The human body is capable of a lot more than we give it credit for and like you said sometimes savants just appear that can do ridiculous things. Incidentally they aren't always stupid or autistic either; some of them are extremely normal other than something strange like an ability to see a number no matter how large and just know if it's a prime or not.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So is that the new baseline for humanity or is Moneo special because he’s part of Leto’s program? Are “regular people” still schlubs like us, albeit maybe with everyone having some Fremen ancestry now because of the jihad?

It occurs to me that there’s vanishingly few examples of completely “normal” people in the series. It’s why one of my favorite parts is after Teg gets bullet time and is being transported to safety by a network of spies who all formerly served under his command or had sons who did. And they’re just describing weird poo poo on post-Harkonnen Geidi Prime like a caste of sewer workers born with no sense of smell or roving gangs of kids who will kill anyone who doesn’t accept Leto II as their lord and savior. And of course this is interspersed with him eating Goku levels of food because again, for some preposterous reason Teg randomly gets super speed and a resulting increased metabolism?

Most of the series could basically be a stage play in various palaces or cave forts and monasteries. There’s nothing wrong with that but it left me wanting to see Herbert describe a “normal” dystopian space city full of weirdos.

Stories don't tend to tell much about normal schulbs like us because that isn't where the drama is. "Joey McFisherton woke up at 7 a.m. He got on his fishing boat at 8, caught fish all day, ate one for lunch, then was home by 7. He did this 6 days a week for 57 years. Then he died of a heart attack" doesn't make for an epic story. It sounds like a pretty good life given that that basically meant nothing ever went wrong for Joey but writing a novel about it? Meh. So yeah in the setting the vast majority of humans alive are going to be boring, normal people doing boring, normal things. Even among the Fremen most of them are going to be pretty boring and normal. They have stuff like machines and food sources that needed tended to so most of them are going to be doing that sort of thing. A story about a Fremen mechanic who babysat a wind trap and didn't do much else with his life until he was 73 isn't going to be an interesting read. Yeah he'd be an important part of the Fremen lifestyle but not particularly interesting to read about.

The main character of Dune is the spice. The stories are more about who comes in contact with it than anything else; your average person probably won't ever see the stuff and will probably live a life like Joey McFisherton. The Landsraad is supposed to be galaxy-spanning. There's a lot of people in it and it's safe to assume that most of them lead normal lives.

I think stuff like sewer workers with no sense of smell is getting into another thing that Frank Herbert played with; humans are adaptable as gently caress. So if you have a bunch of people that live on Dune for long enough you end up with the Fremen. You have people who work in sewers for multiple generations you get people who can't smell anymore. Get rid of computers and expect people to fill that role and over time you develop mentats. Develop genetic manipulation for several thousand years and the Bene Tleilax happen.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Hey so I just finished book 1 today too and ol Frank definitely tries to cast the smell of sweaty balls and vaginas as "the smell of home, of the steich, and safety."

That guy really had a thing about sweaty balls.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A lot of it is noticing certain potentials and then training them to amazing heights. Mentats in particular are very rare and few people have the potential to be a mentat. This is why it was a huge deal to have a ducal heir (Paul) being trained as a mentat. That just didn't happen under normal circumstances as mentats jumped up pretty randomly. You also had to identify them early and basically train them from birth; the potential took a lot of time to develop properly.

i didnt know this and am interested whats this from????

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

paul_soccer10 posted:

i didnt know this and am interested whats this from????

It's in the first book like a few dozen pages in. Leto is all like "oh bee tee dubz, Hawat noticed you have the potential and has been training you all along." It happens before they even leave Caladan.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's in the first book like a few dozen pages in. Leto is all like "oh bee tee dubz, Hawat noticed you have the potential and has been training you all along." It happens before they even leave Caladan.

Yeah, Leto says "At first you can train a mentat just through behavior but eventually you have to tell them you're doing it, so surprise."

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh cool

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cultivated autism to serve a feudal eugenonarchy ftw

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And of course this is interspersed with him eating Goku levels of food because again, for some preposterous reason Teg randomly gets super speed and a resulting increased metabolism?

It wasn't random really. Teg had a real gift even for mentats, so when he was tortured by that weird feedback machine, his mind was racing at positronic speed. His abilities as a mentat jumped so far ahead that he had to adjust his movement to his thinking. The first thing he notices after he gets into bullet time is that grazing a fingernail on his restraints rips it right off. He near-instantly corrects for that and manages to kill his abductors before they can shout for help.

I'm pretty sure Herbert alludes to the typical dystopia many times, but doesn't linger on them since they're easy to imagine. As for the weirdos, well, there's the Tleilaxu and those guys with the hypnobong :2bong:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Teg's also another weird talent out of the Atreides bloodline. The entire BG is directly descended from Siona and therefore Paul.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Yeah. By the end (I'm referring to book 6) about half the dramatis personae are Atreides.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

phasmid posted:

Yeah. By the end (I'm referring to book 6) about half the dramatis personae are Atreides.

Freaking Bene Gesserit and their damned centuries-long eugenics program. :argh:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

P sure the Leto basically made it so that his sister has as many descendants per capita as Genghis Khan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

P sure the Leto basically made it so that his sister has as many descendants per capita as Genghis Khan.

Do you mean Siona?