Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Neurolimal posted:

To be fair it's not like we've ever had a dissection of a matured ghoul to gawk at, its possible that ghoul internals get chewed up too, leading to a 20 y/o ghoul ending up sounding like a grizzled action star :v:

He might have also just always sounded that way. Even as a baby. We just don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even the "stops aging" part isn't consistent. Raul began transitioning into a ghoul in his twenties but 200 years later he sounds like Danny Trejo.

As far as I can tell the "instantly stops aging" thing is in the Bethesda games, while the west coast games say "you live very long and resist the ravages of old age but you still physically grow into an adult form and age mentally."

That's due to the superior east coast radiation

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Halser posted:

If you're going to Nuka World early on, then you should just save up cash, murder everyone stealthily for stuff and buy the Splattercannon. That thing has lvl 36 mods on it from the start, and the legendary effect is the second best for an automatic weapon. I managed to do it on lvl 3 or so, but it was a loving mess of reloads, and I had to sell everything I had to buy the weapon. I then closed the game and never touched the save again, because I just wanted to know if I could do it.

Probably should install a mod that makes the ammo for it show up in the original game if you bother doing that, though.

That's what the chems are for! And yeah that things hilarious it'll chew through behemoths with zero investment

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even the "stops aging" part isn't consistent. Raul began transitioning into a ghoul in his twenties but 200 years later he sounds like Danny Trejo.

As far as I can tell the "instantly stops aging" thing is in the Bethesda games, while the west coast games say "you live very long and resist the ravages of old age but you still physically grow into an adult form and age mentally."

Becoming a ghoul usually does give you a raspy Danny Trejo like voice though, but not always? Like, Dean in dead money still had his smooth crooner voice, and Jason Bright sounded perfectly normal too, but every other ghoul sounds like they've been smoking a pack a day for a hundred years.

Let's just assume "smoker's voice" is a likely, but not guaranteed, symptom of ghoulification and leave it at that.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Becoming a ghoul usually does give you a raspy Danny Trejo like voice though, but not always? Like, Dean in dead money still had his smooth crooner voice, and Jason Bright sounded perfectly normal too, but every other ghoul sounds like they've been smoking a pack a day for a hundred years.

Let's just assume "smoker's voice" is a likely, but not guaranteed, symptom of ghoulification and leave it at that.

Bright didn't sound "normal" by any stretch, he just got a weird reverberation added to him that I'm pretty sure was actually unique to him.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

buglord posted:

Was Rage 1 any good? I rented it and I didn't feel compelled to keep it for the whole 5 days. It just felt like a bunch of games I already played, but more shallow.

It's a shooter with racing and minigames tacked on. The shooting is good, the driving is ok, the minigames are dumb but not required. If you like ID shooters you'll like it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The reason there's so many ferals in 4 is because they're Bostonians. That's how they were beforehand.

Also, idk what game it was but I remember a ghoul talking about ghoulification and drat if that wouldn't break some people's minds, especially in combination with all your loved ones being dead.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Halser posted:

If you're going to Nuka World early on, then you should just save up cash, murder everyone stealthily for stuff and buy the Splattercannon. That thing has lvl 36 mods on it from the start, and the legendary effect is the second best for an automatic weapon. I managed to do it on lvl 3 or so, but it was a loving mess of reloads, and I had to sell everything I had to buy the weapon. I then closed the game and never touched the save again, because I just wanted to know if I could do it.

Probably should install a mod that makes the ammo for it show up in the original game if you bother doing that, though.

Instead of doing all that, just get The Problem Solver for free from the Pack leader.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I've been playing more fallout 4 now that I've got all the dlc and can therefore mod the poo poo out of the game. While the main story is still monumentally stupid I have come to appreciate some of the other aspects of the writing and game design that are more subtle. For starters I've been avoiding the main quest as much as possible to see how quest locations change depending on when you go there before you're intented to. I've visited ArcJet and had fun exploring the top floors fighting protectrons that the synths otherwise wipe out. And when I went to the airport a weather mod flushed the area with fog and I had a blast mowing down hordes of ferals as they came rushing me out of the gloom.

Next in my list is to track down Deacon and see the stuff he gets up to. So far I've found him in Diamond City and then in Goodbeighbor you can hear him instigate Hancock's crowd address to screw the institute. I know you can also find Deacon at Bunker Hill so I'm heading there next. Are there any other places he'll pop up?

While there isn't much of a faction disguise system happening (though there are some instances where it does happen, mind you) I really have been amazed at the level of reactivity from unnamed NPCs depending on my actions or my outfit. There's a ton of incidental voicework going on that's really neat. It's like they took the NPCs commenting on the state of the Mojave in New Vegas and kicked the concept into overdrive so it not only references the world but addresses the player directly. Also the audio recordings are pretty much all excellent. Especially the overseer of vault 114's interview. Too bad most of the terminal entries don't have the same flair, but not everything can be as bugfuck crazy as H&H Tools Factory or as viciously depressing as the election vault.

And I have to give props to Courtney Taylor's performance. Once I installed some quality of life mods to see what my dialogue choices actually are and to have guaranteed persuasion checks, it's become much easier to role-play as a scheming con artist who specializes in haggling her way to riches. Her dialogue is really well done when she doesn't devolve into screaming MY BABY whenever the main quest rears up, and she's otherwise really consistent while keeping a tone that can flow from caring to sarcastic to threatening very naturally.

Other QOL mods I got included removing level requirements for perks and no affinity loss for companions. I can actually roleplay somewhat by specializing in thieving and crafting early on and I don't have to worry about people getting mad at my thieving. It speeds up the tedious bits while slowing down the good stuff to last longer. I would like if there were more ways to complete certain quests, and if there was a larger emphasis on nonviolent options, but that would require redesigning entire areas. Fallout 4's level design is less of a jigsaw puzzle with multiple routes and more set up like standard fps combat arenas. They're built for firefights which sadly undercuts some areas of their novelty. The museum of freedom has all these silly revolutionary war tidbits in the building but you rush by them in a frantic gun battle rather than soaking them in like the Repconn tour. It all comes down to shooting, and while it's the best FPS combat in the franchise it's still mediocre at best compared to even other FPS RPGs. I've tried to up the damage values with mods but I still need to do more tweaking. Does anyone know of a good mod to cap enemy health like they did in New Vegas?

So those are my thoughts do far. Ignoring the main quest has made my moneymaking romp through the Commonwealth much more enjoyable. When I do settle down to do some settlement building I'll download sim settlements and then launch my little capitalist trade network.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Deacon also shows up as a Diamond City guard when Piper is yelling at the mayor, not sure if there others beyond your list.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4645
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25934
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16229

Are both nice QOL mods too, telling your companions to stfu about picking up tape, keeping all of the misc radiant quests from being in DLC locations at level 2, and making it easier to trade with people.

While I've never used em since I've never really had a damage sponge issue:

Real world damages, bullets are your (and NPC's) only weakness.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/217

Two different versions of "invent your own difficulty" mods, one just lets you tweak things in survival mode, one lets you pick and choose everything
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14650
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/222/

Just edit some of the damage scaling and such so things don't get spongy.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
In case you wanted an excuse to debate Fallout 3's merits as a game and as a Fallout game again, here's a new video essay that argues in favor of it. It's 2 hours long and to be honest, I can think of a rebuttal for almost every point brought up so far, but still, interesting perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z8XHe2NoAE

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

In case you wanted an excuse to debate Fallout 3's merits as a game and as a Fallout game again, here's a new video essay that argues in favor of it. It's 2 hours long and to be honest, I can think of a rebuttal for almost every point brought up so far, but still, interesting perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z8XHe2NoAE

I don't *really* want to listen to two hours of a person being wrong, but what the hell, let's do this.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Not clicking the link I'm assuming that's MATN's effortpost. That was Jon's first Fallout game, and he has still never played 2 (he did an LP of 1 last year finally). And he still mostly does random NV challenges (like Lonesome Road at level 1) when he's not doing Fallout 4 stuff.

Not entirely sure what brought on his "Let's talk about Fallout 3" thing all of a sudden, but you can filter that through "That's his first experience with the franchise"

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Mooktastical posted:

Instead of doing all that, just get The Problem Solver for free from the Pack leader.

Problem solver is as good as most normal good legendaries in the game in that it's strong but kind of balanced. Splattercannon is completely busted and all it takes to buy it is ducking into diamond city for five minutes to let some marital drama play out

Like SC does as much damage per bullet with no commando perks as PS does with 3 rifleman and it comes with a free silencer; I'm pretty sure it only exists to let you do a low level run without gatorclaws/nukalurks slowing you down

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Mooktastical posted:

sure, but the Problem Solver doesn't have lvl 36 mods. No silencer, no superior receiver.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Wellwinds posted:

Problem solver is as good as most normal good legendaries in the game in that it's strong but kind of balanced. Splattercannon is completely busted and all it takes to buy it is ducking into diamond city for five minutes to let some marital drama play out

Like SC does as much damage per bullet with no commando perks as PS does with 3 rifleman and it comes with a free silencer; I'm pretty sure it only exists to let you do a low level run without gatorclaws/nukalurks slowing you down

They're identical, though?

Problem Solver

Splattercannon

The only difference is what mods they come with.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Riatsala posted:

I don't *really* want to listen to two hours of a person being wrong, but what the hell, let's do this.

To be honest, I think it's a good summary of the mindset that people who enjoy Fallout 3 have, even though in some cases he reaches so hard in attempting to find ways to defend its worst aspects or compare it favorably against New Vegas and 4, that it kind of loses a lot of punch.

Still, as someone who enjoys Fallout 3 as a dumb fun exploratory game and New Vegas as an interesting and deep RPG (with flaws that ultimately don't *really* hurt the core experience) I find it hard to get too annoyed even when the arguments are shaky.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
God drat I booted up Fallout 4 with a ton of mods and it still can’t fix how lame the main quest is. I think having a voiced main character somehow made the game more intolerable. Now I gotta hang out with Preston and mama Murphy and blah blah BLAH

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

buglord posted:

God drat I booted up Fallout 4 with a ton of mods and it still can’t fix how lame the main quest is. I think having a voiced main character somehow made the game more intolerable. Now I gotta hang out with Preston and mama Murphy and blah blah BLAH

The main quest is still pretty lame, but there's totally an alternate start mod that straight up goes through all the dialogue and removes pretty much every reference to you being a parent and Shaun being your kid. You're just some wasteland type who can stumble across a recording of a kid being kidnapped from a vault and try to get to the bottom of it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

buglord posted:

There's a mod to turn off the player voice if it offends you that much. Just never go to sanctuary again and you solve the Preston/Murphy problem too. Or just install the mod to make Jun and crew non-essential, send Preston and Sturgis to murkwater, and murder the rest of them if you really want to live in Sanctuary.

Hell, I think there's a mod that gets rid of all the MY BABY references too.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Crappy Jack posted:

The main quest is still pretty lame, but there's totally an alternate start mod that straight up goes through all the dialogue and removes pretty much every reference to you being a parent and Shaun being your kid. You're just some wasteland type who can stumble across a recording of a kid being kidnapped from a vault and try to get to the bottom of it.

Know off hand if it works with Horizon? I wanted to install that mod in particular but I couldn't find a consensus on Nexus?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Two of my friends tried to tell me fallout NV was the worst fallout made. I don't believe I've ever heard that opinion before.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Parallelwoody posted:

Two of my friends tried to tell me fallout NV was the worst fallout made. I don't believe I've ever heard that opinion before.

Those people are not your friends.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

To be honest, I think it's a good summary of the mindset that people who enjoy Fallout 3 have, even though in some cases he reaches so hard in attempting to find ways to defend its worst aspects or compare it favorably against New Vegas and 4, that it kind of loses a lot of punch.

Still, as someone who enjoys Fallout 3 as a dumb fun exploratory game and New Vegas as an interesting and deep RPG (with flaws that ultimately don't *really* hurt the core experience) I find it hard to get too annoyed even when the arguments are shaky.

I agree. I think Fallout 3 does have plenty of good merits. I understand entirely how people enjoy this game as a shallow, brainless arpg where you explode raiders with your junk gun. I enjoyed it on exactly those terms when it came out. Even today when I play TTW I appreciate the dense urban hellscape of FO 3 and how it rewards you for ignoring the main quest entirely and setting out at random to mine the subways and genuinely interesting set pieces. If you want to just wander and kill ghouls for 3 hours without worrying a bit about how your actions affect the world around you, it's great, and in that way I think it has a nice mechanical yin to NV's yang.

Trying to defend it on any other dimensions, however, is stretching it beyond the point of credibility. The story is a meandering garbage fire that happens to you rather than because of you, the characters are terribly written and one-dimensional, and the capital wasteland badly needed a design lead rather than a guy who haphazardly stitched together 500 completely unconnected set pieces into a game world. It's doubly bad because Bethesda (and game critics) (and Many A True Nerd) tried and still try to sell us on these blatantly untrue narratives about a game that could just be lauded as a fun, if deeply flawed arpg sandbox.

I do give credit to Bethesda for the game they created. It's broken and feels unfinished, but the sheer amount of work they put into translating Fallout into 3D is astounding, and I have to wonder just how good NV would have been without that foundation.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Parallelwoody posted:

I remember that back when the game came out there were a lot of people who were deeply aggrieved that the roads north of goodsprings, which people told you were full of cazadores and deathclaws, and that they should just detour south, were in fact full of cazadores and deathclaws, which murdered them brutally.

Also the RPS review where in order to prove that the game world was barren and empty, deliberately stood with his back to Helios One and the Dinky the Dinosaur statue to take a picture of the deserted stretch between novac and the 188.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

I remember that back when the game came out there were a lot of people who were deeply aggrieved that the roads north of goodsprings, which people told you were full of cazadores and deathclaws, and that they should just detour south, were in fact full of cazadores and deathclaws, which murdered them brutally.

Also the RPS review where in order to prove that the game world was barren and empty, deliberately stood with his back to Helios One and the Dinky the Dinosaur statue to take a picture of the deserted stretch between novac and the 188.

This was 2 days ago though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

Isn't that stretch still filled with structures and encounters even if you follow the road?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

chitoryu12 posted:

Isn't that stretch still filled with structures and encounters even if you follow the road?

Quinten Smith posted:

I took those screenshots from quite far back to get a sense of space, but they’re not staged. Almost all of New Vegas simply has a quiet minimalism to it, which is probably for the best since there’s a pretty awful bug with Windows 64 bit that dropkicks your framerate if you’re standing close to several people at the same time.

Like I said, in order to get that shot he literally had to walk past Novac and cram his rear end up against Helios One in order to "get a sense of space."

Probably the most telling part of the article:

quote:

Caesar’s Legion are New Vegas’ big addition to the Fallout lore. They’re a huge, warlike tribe that attempt to embody the characteristics of a Roman legion, meaning leather tunics, little skirts and ferocious disciple- drugs, and as far as I can tell, jokes, are banned. There is just nothing interesting about them, except for the fact that they all pronounce Caesar “Kai-zar”, a mystery I never got to the bottom of.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 14, 2018

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

A truly unsolved mystery in our time.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
While the NV map did seem a little devoid of things to see in some parts, it is the middle of Nevada they are trying to replicate. I think the bigger issue was that everything was brown so even though there were things to see everything just blurred together I to this featureless mess off in the horizon. Not that 3 was any better, just had more variety of burnt trees, boarded up houses and tire piles. Who the hell was running around pulling all these tires off after the bombs fell, anyway?

My main gripe with NV is with how thoroughly underwhelming Vegas itself was - yeah they had major technical limitations to contend with on the previous console generation and Gamebryo breathing it dying breaths at the same time but it still felt really empty. Entering the city itself was supposed to be this major milestone and instead the first thing you see is a generic hotel across from you and like 6 people drunkenly staggering around while you're left thinking "That's it? Maybe there's more over there?" Maybe that's what the real Las Vegas is like as well? Wonder how it would look if they used 4s engine.

As to which one is best? I don't think about the games like that. I've played 1, 2, 3, NV, 4 and Tactics and sunk many hundreds of hours in each. They all have things I lile and things I don't and I dount there will ever be the perfect game. When they get around to announcing the next iteration I'll probably spend a lot of time on that as well.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Keeshhound posted:

They're identical, though?

Problem Solver

Splattercannon

The only difference is what mods they come with.

that makes all the difference, though.

The Problem Solver is pretty much a stock handmade rifle, the Splattercannon has lvl 36 mods that you won't get anywhere else for a long rear end time that do a lot for the damage output

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Halser posted:

that makes all the difference, though.

The Problem Solver is pretty much a stock handmade rifle, the Splattercannon has lvl 36 mods that you won't get anywhere else for a long rear end time that do a lot for the damage output

Right, forgot you we're talking about low level stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think the big mistake is equating all of Vegas with just The Strip. There's Freeside, North Side, Westside, McCarran, the East Vegas sharecroppers and Crimson Caravan and Gun Runners. The whole Vegas area probably takes up a good 6th of the map and it is absolutely jammed with content.

So In FO4 I've decided to use Equilibrium as a start to fixing balance issues. It's pretty much Iron Rose's weapon balance overhaul but also updated for the DLC. Once I decide on a decent mod to cap health gain and DR I'll be set.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 14, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

Like I said, in order to get that shot he literally had to walk past Novac and cram his rear end up against Helios One in order to "get a sense of space."

Oh yeah, I know that exact place. You can even see the edges of the gas station and a Viper ambush behind the billboard over the hill!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Hell, I have the exact opposite complaint about NV, there isn't enough open desert

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh yeah, I know that exact place. You can even see the edges of the gas station and a Viper ambush behind the billboard over the hill!

And I may have my locations mixed up, but shouldn't he be standing knee deep in fire ants?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Riatsala posted:

And I may have my locations mixed up, but shouldn't he be standing knee deep in fire ants?

Yep!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Riatsala posted:

He's slightly south of the fire ant deathtrap. That stretch of the dry lake is marked by the gas station and the dead pack brahmin

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Lots of the landmarks in nv ARE pretty worthless though, like most of the Vegas outskirts are just a road and a building which is boarded up. Maybe a raider is there.

The actual towns are good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Westside is basically The Cut Content Desert.