Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

I kinda like the autoresolve being hosed, since the AI have a much higher tendency to actually do field battles. Doing a HE game atm and I have had armies sallying out of fortresses since they think they can beat me.

Also all the arrows is hilarious on HE.
Now to finish a me campaign after I have beaten Chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Cardiac posted:

I kinda like the autoresolve being hosed, since the AI have a much higher tendency to actually do field battles. Doing a HE game atm and I have had armies sallying out of fortresses since they think they can beat me.

Also all the arrows is hilarious on HE.
Now to finish a me campaign after I have beaten Chaos.

They can keep wonky auto-resolve for field-battles if it leads to the AI be more willing to attack, just change for siege auto-resolve which is where most of the frustration comes from.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CA's greatest regret is being awesome during WH1, and now that they hit a hitch with coding Norsca, the entitled TW community is making GBS threads a brick. It's aggravating to see a game company being punished for being too good at their job. No other company besides Blizzard gives this much of a crap about a game that has already launched.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
gaming fans are the worst

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cpt_Obvious posted:

CA's greatest regret is being awesome during WH1, and now that they hit a hitch with coding Norsca, the entitled TW community is making GBS threads a brick. It's aggravating to see a game company being punished for being too good at their job. No other company besides Blizzard gives this much of a crap about a game that has already launched.

Is CA really being punished? Like I see a few people here and there in the spectrum of raging mad to frustrated about the delays, but not really an organized boycott or even general community outrage at how Norsca was mishandled.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Hyperbole doesn't stop being obnoxious just because you think you're on the right side of an issue

fe: quoted wrong person

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

edit: nothing to see here

feller
Jul 5, 2006

e: thanks

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Senor Dog posted:

Hyperbole doesn't stop being obnoxious just because you think you're on the right side of an issue

fe: quoted wrong person

In what way am I being hyperbolic? They went above and beyond on WH1, and people complain that they aren't doing it again. Punishment doesn't have to come in the form of sales losses.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't get the theory that CA semi-intentionally sabotaged their TWW2 DLC to focus on the historical games when Warhammer's been wildly successful, and the historical titles have been footnotes to previous, full games. What's more, I'd imagine the audience for Warhams isn't 100% the same audience as something like TOB. If the DLC will sell, there's no reason not to put it out when it's ready.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Aren't the TWW games the most popular PC GW games right now?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

"They didn't massively gently caress up and have to dedicate six months to fixing it in WH1, so now people think it's crazy when they did that for WH2" is a pretty dumb argument. Plus you're making it sound like they're selflessly generous because they're going to eventually make enough postrelease DLC to double the cost of the game instead of it being a key part of their business strategy. Yeah, WH1 was excellent, and set the bar very high, but that excellence convinced a whole lot of people to pay full price for this game at launch, so I don't feel too bad for CA if some of those people whose money they already have are impatient now. That impatience is still a good sign for them, because it means people still want to buy what they end up belatedly releasing in the future. Personally, I'm not angry about the delays (there's no point, and poo poo happens), but if I'd known it was going to play out like this I would have waited a lot longer to buy the game.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 12, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

I don't get the theory that CA semi-intentionally sabotaged their TWW2 DLC to focus on the historical games when Warhammer's been wildly successful, and the historical titles have been footnotes to previous, full games. What's more, I'd imagine the audience for Warhams isn't 100% the same audience as something like TOB. If the DLC will sell, there's no reason not to put it out when it's ready.

It isn't exactly the same audience, but there are plenty of people in the audience who would play any Total War (hi!), so if the releases are too much on top of each other then they'd be competing with themselves, which is not a good move. The only reason I didn't get ThroB is because I don't care for the setting.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sinteres posted:

"They didn't massively gently caress up and have to dedicate six months to fixing it in WH1, so now people think it's crazy when they did that for WH2" is a pretty dumb argument. Plus you're making it sound like they're selflessly generous because they're going to eventually make enough postrelease DLC to double the cost of the game instead of it being a key part of their business strategy. Yeah, WH1 was excellent, and set the bar very high, but that excellence convinced a whole lot of people to pay full price for this game at launch, so I don't feel too bad for CA if some of those people whose money they already have are impatient now. That impatience is still a good sign for them, because it means people still want to buy what they end up belatedly releasing in the future. Personally, I'm not angry about the delays (there's no point, and poo poo happens), but if I'd known it was going to play out like this I would have waited a lot longer to buy the game.

I don't understand this. You didn't purchase a subscription or a season pass, what did you think you were getting by buying Warhammer 2 at launch that you don't have now?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

I don't understand this. You didn't purchase a subscription or a season pass, what did you think you were getting by buying Warhammer 2 at launch that you don't have now?

Norsca

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

THE BAR posted:

Aren't the TWW games the most popular PC GW games right now?

Absolutely. Vermintide 2 is close, though. And they're the most popular Total War games by a significant margin. Right now there's 15k players (on Steam) playing TWWH2 while ToB has <10k. ToB came out a week ago.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yeah, but like, Norsca was released months ago and it costs 10 bucks. Why would you buy Warhammer 2 in order to get a 10 dollar DLC available for WH1 for free if you weren't interested in Warhammer 2?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah, but like, Norsca was released months ago and it costs 10 bucks. Why would you buy Warhammer 2 in order to get a 10 dollar DLC available for WH1 for free if you weren't interested in Warhammer 2?

It's almost like a preorder incentive did the job it was intended to do.

Like I said, I'm not raging pissed about it, and it's not like I had zero interest in playing WH2. I just would have waited for a sale and bought the DLC separately if I'd known how this was going to play out. It's not the end of the world, but I think it's reasonable for people to be disappointed.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Did they ever fix the idiot bug making handgunners race into melee because of LOS issues?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
For how little time I've ended up playing Warhammer 2 so far vs waiting for CA to put out new content and actually patch annoying crap that worked perfectly fine (autoresolve, any direct fire ranged unit, gates, ect) in the first game, I really might as well have not purchased Warhammer 2 early.

It's not a money argument because I could care less about saving $10 or whatever, there was just literally no point pre-ordering the game in hindsight if I knew how it was going to turn out.

quote:

Sabotage is a weird way to put it. It seems clear to me that CA is marketing hard to the historical side of the audience this year (including lots of new content) to get them hooked back into their news/content cycle so they can sell them 3K in the fall.

As a consequence of that, marketing Warhammer 2 naturally takes a back seat. And as already explained, they aren't going to crowd different releases too close together in any case.

Next year, Warhammer 3 will be announced and possibly the focus will shift back to fantasy for a while, who can say.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I guess I don't see the situation the same way. I just bought Norsca separately because I didn't find Warhammer 2 itself interesting enough to justify its price tag.

Captain Beans posted:

Did they ever fix the idiot bug making handgunners race into melee because of LOS issues?

We'll find out if they release another patch in any of our life times.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Captain Beans posted:

Handgunners have slightly better melee stats that crossbowmen for a reason. It is clearly intended behavior.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Remember Chaos on release?

Mordja posted:

Similar expansions for similar games with similar release dates might cannibalize each other's sales. This would be a marketing decision, and therefore completely divorced from reality.

Also, Vermintide 2 came in the interim, so it could be GW genius at work.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

madmac posted:

Sabotage is a weird way to put it. It seems clear to me that CA is marketing hard to the historical side of the audience this year (including lots of new content) to get them hooked back into their news/content cycle so they can sell them 3K in the fall.

As a consequence of that, marketing Warhammer 2 naturally takes a back seat. And as already explained, they aren't going to crowd different releases too close together in any case.

Next year, Warhammer 3 will be announced and possibly the focus will shift back to fantasy for a while, who can say.

Yeah I'm just not convinced that you're right. SEGA's own goals in their financial reports are to expand their successful IPs to new regions/markets while continuing to support their current line ups. SEGA considered Warhammer to be Creative Assembly's current main release, and I just don't see any way that Warhammer would take the back seat for Rome 2 DLC. It would be understandable if some of their budget was shifted to China, because I imagine that's the market they're currently targeting for expansion.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Captain Beans posted:

afaik they didnt really fix any bugs

e: nobody even wants Rome 2 DLC anyway, I assume they have metrics showing its still highly played because of Mods and so they're releasing DLCs that don't really add anything to the mods and happen to coincidentally paywall factions modders have already overhauled

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

nopantsjack posted:

afaik they didnt really fix any bugs

e: nobody even wants Rome 2 DLC anyway, I assume they have metrics showing its still highly played because of Mods and so they're releasing DLCs that don't really add anything to the mods and happen to coincidentally paywall factions modders have already overhauled

You can’t play the paywall factions in mods without the corresponding DLC, including, now, Sand Kingdoms. If you don’t have it they disappear from DeI.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Captain Beans posted:

A dev on the CA forums said they have addressed this in the upcoming patch.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mukip posted:

A dev on the CA forums said they have addressed this in the upcoming patch.

Where would this post be? I tried finding it but my search-fu seems weak.. :negative:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gejnor posted:

Where would this post be? I tried finding it but my search-fu seems weak.. :negative:

After a bunch of searching I was able to find it a few hours ago. Can confirm.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
It's from the balance dev, CA_Duck. Other posts he made:

quote:

Yup, the walking closer to the target when obstructed behaviour is something we're looking to fix with the coming Norsca update.

Luminarks are one of the Empire units that will have a considerable rebalancing in the next patch.

We have no intention of buffing Chosen further as they are already overpowered. For Chaos we're really just looking at fixing Hellcannon homing and buffing regular Dragon Ogres.

Empire artillery will be one of the aspects we'll be focusing on with the balancing for the Norsca patch.

Dire Wolves are currently disappointing in performance and will be tweaked in the future

The wide spacing of the Pegasus Knights doesn't work well with the current charging behaviour. I'll look into reducing the spacing to get more models charging in the front two ranks of the unit that do connect with the enemy front.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
love it when the CA stans come out to tell us that actually we are in no way inconvenienced by Norsca being a lovely placeholder faction

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gay Horney posted:

love it when the CA stans come out to tell us that actually we are in no way inconvenienced by Norsca being a lovely placeholder faction

If you feel like delayed Warhammer DLC is causing problems in your life seek psychological help.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

love it when the CA stans come out to tell us that actually we are in no way inconvenienced by Chaos being a lovely placeholder faction for Norsca.

FTFY

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Chaos was so loving cool and diverse for most of tabletop Hams’ run, it was only 7th and 8th where they got lame. I would legit pay like 50 bucks for a dlc that dove into earlier army books and represented all the crazy subfactions and the wacky conversions the GW guys came up with. And mixed warrior/beastman/daemon armies dammit. All three of those factions feel like lame rosters because they were never intended to be separate and they were never intended to be homogenized. Especially warriors. I want that nurgle grim reaper lord or the tzeentch man with two melty faces, not just Black Armour Muscle Man over and over.

Like why is Sigvald’s army just more of the same? He should have an army of nimble prettyboy chaos warriors straight out of 300, and a hermaphroditic daemon harem, and a lieutenant who rides a tittysnake.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 13, 2018

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
I would just really like to know why they chose to release two historical titles in one year while slowing down the release schedule for the more popular Warhammer games. People have already mentioned that TWW2 is beating throb's player numbers, and it'll be interesting to see how three kingdoms compares after the TWW2 playerbase has more time to decay. It feels like it would have made more sense just to go all in with one big historical title separated by a few months from TWW2 dlc or something.

I also have to wonder if TWW2 being deprived of a consistent dlc release schedule is going to harm sales for the third game, considering people aren't going in with the expectation of continuous support for the game after release.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Angrymantium posted:

I also have to wonder if TWW2 being deprived of a consistent dlc release schedule is going to harm sales for the third game, considering people aren't going in with the expectation of continuous support for the game after release.

Oh poo poo I'm not expecting continuous support for game 3? gently caress. Well, thanks for letting me know.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Knobb Manwich posted:

Oh poo poo I'm not expecting continuous support for game 3? gently caress. Well, thanks for letting me know.

yeah me either now apparently. poo poo son my whole world is different now

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Angrymantium posted:

I would just really like to know why they chose to release two historical titles in one year while slowing down the release schedule for the more popular Warhammer games.

Have you considered trying to find out?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's not like the reason has been apparent ever since the issue popped up, was discussed before official word, official word came out why, and was discussed after official word came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s funny when CA fans are all fryjusttakemymoney.jpg

CA YOU SUCK WHY YOU NOT SELL ME MORE THINGS

I kinda like the slow pace of Warhammer 2 dlc compared to say, a paradox game where unless you religiously follow the news and dev diaries even when taking a break from playing, there will be 300 bucks of dlc with ill-defined content when you return. I’m fine with a slow trickle so I can keep coming back to this great game without missing out on hype or content.

“Norsca”, “norscan LLs”, and “norscan sound effects” not being separate dlcs is also a plus.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 13, 2018