Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Peachfart posted:

Well, you can have a company that provides proper vacation and sick time and still be hourly. Like mine.

Yea, that's how it's been everywhere I've worked too. Maybe he's thinking contract hourly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

The polygraph requirement for the TS/SCI is pitiful. Otherwise, I hear that they mostly work behind your back and it doesn't require much effort on your part. I wonder if that's true.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

You don't really do anything other than the SF86 and the interview, which is just going over the SF86 again. And lots of waiting. Not all organizations require a polygraph.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm currently debating the switch to hourly. I work full time now, but have a lead on a contract position that sounds a) more enjoyable and less stressful, b) it'd be a 50% salary increase... and a steady 9-5. No insurance, benefits, and a lot more risk though. Anyone else here done the switch from fulltime to contract?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'd caution against losing benefits even with a substantial pay increase (unless you live in a place with actual Healthcare).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My boss told me to stay home next week and just do some training that’s provided by our company. That training is essentially the class of the first test of the Server 2016 MCSA. Sure why not I’ll do that.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Vargatron posted:

I'd caution against losing benefits even with a substantial pay increase (unless you live in a place with actual Healthcare).

Canada! And all my prescriptions are covered under OHIP+. My partner not so much, but a $20000 raise makes up for that a lot.

It's really just the risk of the contract not being extended past 6mos, and it hasn't quite been a year at my current job.

Wouldn't have my manager getting pissy that I didn't stay past midnight and endlessly sharing stories of the one time he stayed till 3am and slept at the office like it's something to emulate though.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Thursday morning, I was woken up with a phone call from one the managers who report to me. I missed the first call, but called him right back. I don't think I will ever forget the words that came from his mouth. He told me that one of his direct reports had died overnight (he named the person, but I am avoiding that under the pretense of internet anonymity). The gentleman in question was our second shift guy. He worked alone, every night, for over ten years. It was my understanding that he enjoyed that shift. He was a former marine, with no wife or kids. I think he saw actual combat in Desert Storm I, but I knew from experience with others that it was best to not ask him details. I had personally known him for nine years.

He died at work. At his desk. All alone. And he went undiscovered for almost 10 hours.

Life is too short to die at your desk dudes. Make sure you are doing the necessary things to maintain your health, and get out there and live. And most importantly, max out your 401k if you can (not just 10%, but $18,500/year) so you can retire before your risk factors catch up with you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’m 37 and I live alone and my now ex just broke up with me last week. That scares the hell out of me. I wonder sometimes if I died overnight how long it would take someone to find me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

Thursday morning, I was woken up with a phone call from one the managers who report to me. I missed the first call, but called him right back. I don't think I will ever forget the words that came from his mouth. He told me that one of his direct reports had died overnight (he named the person, but I am avoiding that under the pretense of internet anonymity). The gentleman in question was our second shift guy. He worked alone, every night, for over ten years. It was my understanding that he enjoyed that shift. He was a former marine, with no wife or kids. I think he saw actual combat in Desert Storm I, but I knew from experience with others that it was best to not ask him details. I had personally known him for nine years.

He died at work. At his desk. All alone. And he went undiscovered for almost 10 hours.

Life is too short to die at your desk dudes. Make sure you are doing the necessary things to maintain your health, and get out there and live. And most importantly, max out your 401k if you can (not just 10%, but $18,500/year) so you can retire before your risk factors catch up with you.

drat, that’s rough. My friend’s dad did that. Went to work one day, sat down in a chair and died. No one even noticed him for hours.

So do you keep the chair or get rid of it? Because good desk chairs are expensive, but that’s like a death chair now.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

drat, that’s rough. My friend’s dad did that. Went to work one day, sat down in a chair and died. No one even noticed him for hours.

So do you keep the chair or get rid of it? Because good desk chairs are expensive, but that’s like a death chair now.

Considering people poo poo themselves when they die. It needs to be disposed of.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Iron Rose posted:

Wouldn't have my manager getting pissy that I didn't stay past midnight and endlessly sharing stories of the one time he stayed till 3am and slept at the office like it's something to emulate though.

It sounds like the answer is to go. Goddamn, that sounds horrible.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Two jobs ago we had a guy in the department hang himself in a meeting room over the weekend :(

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That’s one way to show disapproval of meetings

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Buzzwords can take a toll on you

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

Considering people poo poo themselves when they die. It needs to be disposed of.
Yeah, it went to the dumpster.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I'm scanning for a meteor heading my way. Or a toilet seat.

Given the direction our dear thread is heading, this is way to appropriate. Or not. Unsure currently. Great loving show, though.

re: dead people at work - I'm in the mining industry. Any mine that's over, say, 50-60 years old...lets just say that under the town I live in there are at ~least~ 50 people who they've never recovered. And given how spotty things were a century ago, it could be more. Makes you really want to take some time and enjoy life, your family, etc. You only live once - try and enjoy a bit of it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Two jobs ago we had a guy in the department hang himself in a meeting room over the weekend :(

Like the British guy from mad men

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GreenNight posted:

I’m 37 and I live alone and my now ex just broke up with me last week. That scares the hell out of me. I wonder sometimes if I died overnight how long it would take someone to find me.

There was a case like that in the next town over. An old woman died, but she was known to travel to warmer areas in the winter. She was there nine months before someone found her. People had tried checking in on her, but she obviously didn’t answer the door, nobody knew how to contact her family, the only reason the fire department even could go in when her neighbor finally called them was they heard a low battery alarm from the smoke detector.

I found this out because I was checking out the place, which had since been put up for rent. I was wondering why it was so cheap, now I know.

I think there was a guy in here whose coworker shot himself, the blood dripped down into the server room, and the owners tried to make him clean up the blood that had fallen on the servers.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There was a case like that in the next town over. An old woman died, but she was known to travel to warmer areas in the winter. She was there nine months before someone found her. People had tried checking in on her, but she obviously didn’t answer the door, nobody knew how to contact her family, the only reason the fire department even could go in when her neighbor finally called them was they heard a low battery alarm from the smoke detector.

I found this out because I was checking out the place, which had since been put up for rent. I was wondering why it was so cheap, now I know.

I think there was a guy in here whose coworker shot himself, the blood dripped down into the server room, and the owners tried to make him clean up the blood that had fallen on the servers.

Did you rent the place?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hell no. I’m not superstitious, but that creeps me the gently caress out.

I do knock on wood, though. Pascal’s Wager.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Condolences to the deceased, and take care of yourselves out there my people.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Hell no. I’m not superstitious, but that creeps me the gently caress out.

I do knock on wood, though. Pascal’s Wager.

I mean, I guess you know have an exact dollar value on the amount you believe, or at least a value you believe more than?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

More of a dollar value on how creeped out I am and how little I trust the new owners would thoroughly deep clean the place.

Also odds are the neighbors would mention it, and my wife absolutely does believe in that stuff.

I mean, I assume that as the body rots the airflow carries dead woman particles into every crevice and wall of the house.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 13, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Kind of related because it was an IT co-worker, but there was a guy who made my working existence miserable for years. Never did any work and would disappear for hours at a time. We had a stupid system for tracking time and he was an expert at hogging all the easy tasks and being the top performing tech whereas time-consuming mission critical issues went to us. He was also our department's shop steward and even the CWA disliked him.The same CWA who sent a guy out to us with a story about how he got into a fist fight while gambling at work and the union saved his job. So if they've had enough of your poo poo, then you are not a good worker.

He must have treated his family the same because he went on short-term disability, died, and no one found his body for a month.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

It sounds like the answer is to go. Goddamn, that sounds horrible.

well the guy i was getting the job lead from, a friend and personal mentor decided it'd be a great idea to talk about all the erotica he's into via text so now this just isn't going to happen at all because working for a boss twice your age who thinks that's appropriate is just LOL no.

gently caress me i hate being a woman in IT sometimes

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Iron Rose posted:

well the guy i was getting the job lead from, a friend and personal mentor decided it'd be a great idea to talk about all the erotica he's into via text so now this just isn't going to happen at all because working for a boss twice your age who thinks that's appropriate is just LOL no.

Argh. I'm sorry to hear that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

God drat, that's awful.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I just wanted to talk to him about books :(

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Iron Rose posted:

Wow he must have decided to get tanked over the weekend. Condolences on the job opportunity :(

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Krispy Wafer posted:

He must have treated his family the same because he went on short-term disability, died, and no one found his body for a month.

I hope all the people who made my working life miserable end up the same.

It’s only 3 people, all of them being horrible human beings (even worse to a lot of others than to me even). Justice is being slowly served because over the last few years one of them had his wife cheat on him and leave him, the 2nd one got a seizure with braindamage and can barely move one side of her body as a result. The latter was a huge karma is a bitch type of thing as she used to poo poo on disabled people in general and coworkers/relatives in particular. She once threatened me about doing overtime while my wife was in the hospital leaving me to take care of our kids.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Iron Rose posted:

Well fuckity poo poo, I'm sorry to hear that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I finally found a place that isn’t 60 miles and 1 hour 15 minutes away from work. I haven’t gotten approved yet, but the landlord seemed to really like us and wants someone who can move in really soon. It’s a college area so someone willing to move at the start of June isn’t easy to find.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

The Iron Rose posted:

What in the ever-loving gently caress?

Just...

Jesus loving gently caress. My wife has dealt with poo poo like this, and holy gently caress it pisses me off.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

For real, massive respect to you for even bothering with this career field with people like that existing around every loving corner. My wife did IT for a bit and while she definitely wasn't super happy with the job itself, she burned out far faster because of the poo poo she had to deal with from people like this. I have a woman on staff with my team here and luckily we are a small enough team she doesn't have to deal with poo poo internally, but I'm always listening to see if I hear anything externally.

It's bullshit.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

The Iron Rose posted:

I just wanted to talk to him about books :(

Ew, that's a gross story. Sorry you have to deal with that poo poo.

re: books
I swear if Patrick Rothfuss dies before I get that last book, I will not be far behind him.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Ew, that's a gross story. Sorry you have to deal with that poo poo.

re: books
I swear if Patrick Rothfuss dies before I get that last book, I will not be far behind him.

Robert Jordan died before finishing the Wheel of Time. Thankfully he picked a really good author to finish it for him.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Iron Rose posted:

That’s disgusting. Why in the world would someone think that’s a good idea?!?

At least he texted you this poo poo before you joined the company. Think of it as a bullet dodged.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

For fucks sake. I’m done with today after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Iron Rose posted:

Small upside, you found out before you started working for him. Better find it out now over a phone instead of having him drooling all over you when you start working at his place.

edit: Started my Riverbed training this week, if half of the claims in the course are true they have an amazing product.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 14, 2018